Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

In Need of Fang Lair Advice.

AWinterWolf
AWinterWolf
✭✭✭✭
I've done Fang Lair on normal a good few times, but I want to try it on vet (as a DD) has anyone got any advice?

DD - Stam Sorc Werewolf - 500+ CP

Thank you.
@AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
Completed:
vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
vMoL Trifecta
TTT
vKA HMs
vBRP
All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably drop Werewolf to be honest.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice I can give is to go in there with at least one person that can lead / go over mechanics. The 2nd boss on vet destroys groups with low dps but other than that the dungeon is very doable even for average players. Hard mode is a different beast and makes the rest of the dungeon feel like a joke. Seriously, the difficulty spike of hard mode in the DB dungeons is a bit extreme.

If you are on PC NA you can run with my group we’ve been farming motifs but occasionally we get a PUG member who is new and we teach them through their first run. If your group can beat the 2nd boss you will have no trouble clearing the dungeon in my opinion.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Probably drop Werewolf to be honest.

Oh I have it but I don't use the ultimate in a dungeon :smile:, that's for PvP (sorry, I forgot to say) I use Dawnbreaker, both bars in PvE
    Edited by AWinterWolf on July 1, 2018 10:52AM
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    Best advice I can give is to go in there with at least one person that can lead / go over mechanics. The 2nd boss on vet destroys groups with low dps but other than that the dungeon is very doable even for average players. Hard mode is a different beast and makes the rest of the dungeon feel like a joke. Seriously, the difficulty spike of hard mode in the DB dungeons is a bit extreme.

If you are on PC NA you can run with my group we’ve been farming motifs but occasionally we get a PUG member who is new and we teach them through their first run. If your group can beat the 2nd boss you will have no trouble clearing the dungeon in my opinion.

Thank you but I'm EU, thank you for the advice though. :smile:
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

• Nocturnal_Annoyance
    Run with a smart tank. That menagerie boss is a cluster... and it pays to have a tank who thoroughly understands the mechanics so they can make sure they get the senche jump. Probably one of my fave things to tank to be honest. The rest of the dungeon is easy to tank.
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for a mild hijacking, but I've been having a lot of trouble getting this clear. vFang Lair is the only vet dungeon I've not completed yet, and it is all that cursed menagerie boss.
    First off, I play Stamden, and I know about the bugs with Warden pets in Fang Lair, so obviously I drop all pets for the boss fights.
    How should this fight be set up, assuming above average DPS, an excellent tank and heals? We've tried across the room from the wolves, on top of the wolf spawn, keeping the mini bosses separated till they are down, stacking everything up and kiting the wolves. You name it, we gave it a shot, but we just cannot seem to get it sorted out.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Or if anyone is willing to have me along, so I can see how it should go, that would be awesome. I am on PC NA, @faeryn-shea
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earrindo wrote: »
    Apologies for a mild hijacking, but I've been having a lot of trouble getting this clear. vFang Lair is the only vet dungeon I've not completed yet, and it is all that cursed menagerie boss.
    First off, I play Stamden, and I know about the bugs with Warden pets in Fang Lair, so obviously I drop all pets for the boss fights.
    How should this fight be set up, assuming above average DPS, an excellent tank and heals? We've tried across the room from the wolves, on top of the wolf spawn, keeping the mini bosses separated till they are down, stacking everything up and kiting the wolves. You name it, we gave it a shot, but we just cannot seem to get it sorted out.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Or if anyone is willing to have me along, so I can see how it should go, that would be awesome. I am on PC NA, @faeryn-shea

With above average dps? I did the place back on release on a stam toon, got all my achieves and then never went back until motifs were released the other day/week/whatever it's been now. Our tank that we ran with quit the game so I took up that role now and have tanked it half a dozen times or more with no wipes on that boss. I just pull the bear dude slightly to the right of where you come in the door and tank him in one spot, hardly moving throughout the whole fight. Our dps just kite the dogs around in a circle around the boss. I'm not wearing anything special, Torugs and Ebon with Lord Warden. Thinking about changing some of it up though just because....reasons o.O

Our dps usually blows up the mini boss that pounces on you right off the bat to give some time to beat on the main dude. Once it comes back alive they ignore it and just focus the main boss down till it's dead. Everyone but me slots an interrupt (I've successfully ran over and bashed the pouncing feller before though) so when the pounce happens they just crushing shock it and healer is ready to save em while they are standing up.

When we first ran that place (when I was on dps) we found it easier to ignore the senche pouncey mini boss after it came back alive and just dealt with interrupting it and focusing the main boss. Also, with 3 dps this fight becomes an even bigger joke once you get the hang of it.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally like having the tank deal with the exploding dogs as they can eat more than a DPS can usually, and it means more dmg on the 3. Healer tank the bear <when we did Tank/3 DPS we just had a dps tank instead>. One DPS move out to eat pounce and the other free. Rinse and repeat to victory.

It basically eliminates the biggest problem of the entire encounter. Dogs, especially if you have dogs + pounce at bad timing.
    Edited by karekiz on July 29, 2018 7:57PM
  • Nocturnal_Annoyance
    My healer kites the wolves away from the group. The dps burn the senche first then I move with the bear to the opposite side so that I get the jump from the senche. If the dps is average, kill guar. If above average focus the bear until the senche jump. Burn the senche and then move back to the other side in case it jumps again so I get it instead of the dps. Rinse and repeat ^_^
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way we've dealt with the Menagerie is to have the tanks aggro the wolves near the spawn spot. He'll bait them into exploding and they never bother us.

One of us will taunt the bear and hold it near the guar and tiger. The bear hits like a wet noodle. I am usually the one tanking it, and my magblade self-heals (plus an occasional shield or two) is all I need to survive the bear--it's a bit of a waste to have the tank dealing with this non-threat. The real threats are the wolves and the tiger pounces--having the tank keep the wolves out of our hair means we can ignore them and just parse the bear like a target dummy. And with enough DPS (which is much easier to achieve if the DDs can just focus on DPS and not worry about exploding wolves), the tiger pounce mechanic can be skipped.

The important thing is the timing. Pounces happen every 30s. We focus the bear, keep the tiger in cleave, and then as we approach the 30s mark, if the tiger isn't dead yet, we'll switch focus to the tiger and kill it before the 30s mark. Done right, it means that the tiger doesn't get to do its first pounce. Once disabled, the tiger will remain dormant for exactly 60s, after which it will awaken and immediately pounce.

So we'll kill the tiger before 30s--usually at 24-28s (don't want to kill too early, but also don't want to risk killing it too late). And then we'll have 60s to finish off the bear. If the group DPS is high enough, the bear will die before the tiger ever wakes up, and we'll never see the tiger pounce. In our experience, if the total group damage is over 80K (so in a traditional healer+2xDD configuration, each DD will do 40K multi-target DPS), we can kill the bear before the tiger reawakens. It's important, though, not to kill the tiger too early. For example, if you kill the tiger at 15s, you'll have 75s total (15s + 60s dormancy) to kill the bear before a pounce, but if you killed the tiger at 25s, you'll have 85s total to kill the bear. So if the tiger looks like it's about to die early, just switch focus to doing damage on the bear, and then finish the tiger off as that 30s mark approaches.

If we fall behind on DPS, and the tiger does its pounce after it awakens, it will pounce the tank (since the tank will be the farthest from the group, as they play with the wolves). If we are keeping track of the time, we can know when the tiger is about to wake up, and the tank can just hit a defensive ult (Magma Shell is nice) right before the tiger reawakens. We'll interrupt the tiger, and then have 30s to finish killing the bear before another pounce.

With a healerless 3xDD configuration, this becomes much easier--with 3x DDs, usually the tiger will die at around 20s, and the bear will die about 30s-40s after that, giving us a very generous 20s-30s margin of error.
    Edited by code65536 on August 1, 2018 12:37PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to PUG veteran Fang Lair once. LOL.

First time I haven't been able to finish a dungeon.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though you have done it on normal it is best to make sure you are as familiar with the mechanics as can be and Normal does not do enough to help you understand it all.

Below is a link to Alcast's website that describes each fight and probably has a video of the fights. He does a pretty good job explaining the full picture.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-fang-lair-guide/

Good luck.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all, I've managed to do it, and complete the main achievements for it.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote: