The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Fire Staffs?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I have been using the build guides at alcasthq.com as a target and I notice they only seem to have fire staffs. Does anyone know why that is?

I like lightning staffs better in general and I am wondering what the real difference is.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the passives bruh.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PVE or PVP?

For PVE lightning is a little better because it grants an 8 percent bonus to AOE damage. Things like liquid lightning, wall of elements, the destro staff passive, bats, etc. In PVE you're keeping AOE damage effect spells up for DPS and clearing trash.

In PVP people don't stand in AOE, so you want the 8 percent bonus to single target damage skills that fire staves give.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE it's expected that engulfing flames will be provided so fire gets massive bonus. Also you want to spend as little time as possible on your backbar since it's vma bar without inner light, i.e. you press blockade and immediately animation cancel with bar swap, renew self-buff and immediately bar swap, and main bar is always better as inferno since it have single-target abilities.
    Though all of it is true in case of trial and vma backbar. If you have let's say julianos+mothersorrow without VMA staff and evenly distributed bars in dungeons, lightning aoe bar can be better, also it provides nice heavy attack on trash and additional source of off-balance.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on March 30, 2019 7:47PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE

Which passives do I need to read? Which parts?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvE

Which passives do I need to read? Which parts?

Destruction staff passives. Ancient knowledge, etc...
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s typically best to use Inferno for bosses and Lightning for all the weak enemies between bosses. If you don’t feel like swapping that often then most just stick with Inferno, since boss fights are usually where optimization matters most.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s typically best to use Inferno for bosses and Lightning for all the weak enemies between bosses. If you don’t feel like swapping that often then most just stick with Inferno, since boss fights are usually where optimization matters most.

Thanks. That is what I needed to know.

So just using lightning normally other than areas with boss fights would work well? Perhaps aim at each kind of staff and swap depending on what I am doing?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean have both a Fire and Lightning staff.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a terribly big deal, unless you have an explicit buff to fire damage (Engulfing Flames, being a DK yourself, or -- not now but until fairly recently -- being a Dunmer). Fire staffs boost single-target damage. Lightning staffs boost AoE damage. Perhaps 65% or less of your damage will be single-target, with the rest AoE.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fire staff buff damage to single target skills
    Status effect: Can proc Burning: Flame damage over time for 4 seconds and ticks every 2 seconds. Chance to proc from any flame damage.

Lightning staff buff damage to AOE target skills
    Status effect: Can proc Concussion: Applies Minor Vulnerability for 4 seconds. Minor Vulnerability increases damage taken by 8% for 4 seconds. "Wall" skill in inferno line can proc Off-Balance. I think heavy attacks can as well.

So- slot skills accordingly if you want to; you don't have to.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your active bar determines whether you get the single-target buff or the AoE buff on DoT ticks, not the bar you activated the ability from.

So it's not as helpful as you'd like to back-bar a lightning staff for your AoE abilities. When you switch to lightning, your single-target DoT's get weaker, and when you switch back to flame, your AoE DoT's get weak again. With flame-flame they pick one and stick to it. And Wall of Flames gets a damage buff for being flame anyways, so it counteracts the passive loss.

Though if you just have an ilambris helm, and don't have liquid lightning, a back-bar lightning might still be a good choice because you need both damage types to proc it.

Back-bar lightning was more valuable in the past because Wall of Storms set enemies concussed enemies off-balance, and the Exploiter CP perk dealt increased damage against off-balance enemies. But then there was this change in Dragon Bones that limited its usefulness against bosses:
    Boss enemies can only be set Off Balance once every 15 seconds. After the first Off Balance debuff ends on a boss enemy, they will be immune to subsequent Off Balance debuffs until this immunity duration is over.

In spite of all that, I still front-bar a lightning staff because I mostly play solo so I'm more dependent on AoE's.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the input. I will never be a min-maxer, so absolutely ideal DPS is not an issue. I just want to have a strong build and have fun.

Using their builds helps me pick among all the choices. But it sounds like using a Lightning staff will not be that harmful. I haven't even done a trial or other such high end content yet, though I am CP 410 or so on my pet sorc. Leveling a total of 10 characters, so I have plenty of time.

Thanks everyone!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE it's expected that engulfing flames will be provided ...

I don't think PvE means what you think it means ...
    dry.gif
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    In PVE it's expected that engulfing flames will be provided ...

I don't think PvE means what you think it means ...
    dry.gif

If you mean PVE solo content, there all kind of things may work, including lightning staff. Funny enough I used lightning main bar and ice back bar while soloing craglorn group areas, since there aoe does majority of damage while you are saving your hide and restoring magicka with heavy attacks. But it's not standardized, and obviously trial builds won't work in solo content and i guess OP is asking why even for sorcerer dual fire staff are default (in trial builds)..
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning staff is great for petsorc and heavy attack. You wont miss the fire staff single target unless u min max and light weave amd all that jazz

• ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lighting staff just sucks tbh.

pulls worse numbers than fire staff on everything but petsorc. Aside from that ele blockade is the only pve vaible skill that is effected by the type of staff used in the destro line. Most players would prefer the burning dot from blockade of fire than the concussion from blockade of storms. It does dmg to proc skoria, illambris or zaan and and it just plain deals dmg. Since the offbalance nerf really you dont need that much lighting to get the maximum uptime there for concussion and that is usually provided by the healers and now tank since s&b 1h enchants got nerfed.

In pvp burst is king. Aoe dmg isnt viable since players can just walk out of it. And every mag build in pvp excluding templar is forced to run resto on back bar. even if you had the option though to run 2 destro staffs in pvp most players would want dual fire
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

pulls worse numbers than fire staff on everything but petsorc.

My main is a pet sorc, so this may be why it is working well for me now. :)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Fire staff buff damage to single target skills
    Status effect: Can proc Burning: Flame damage over time for 4 seconds and ticks every 2 seconds. Chance to proc from any flame damage.

Lightning staff buff damage to AOE target skills
    Status effect: Can proc Concussion: Applies Minor Vulnerability for 4 seconds. Minor Vulnerability increases damage taken by 8% for 4 seconds. "Wall" skill in inferno line can proc Off-Balance. I think heavy attacks can as well.

So- slot skills accordingly if you want to; you don't have to.

Light and heavy attacks do not proc status effects.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fire= more direct damage + burning effect (DOT)
    Lightning= more AOE damage +minor vunerability
    Ice= alternative to tanking (shields, block cost reduction while using magicka to block)

Each staff has it's own unique quality that can be very, very helpful depending on your build. My PVP builds use all three depending on the character and role that they take.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, so most people don’t know why fire staves are the best? There’s so much bad information in this thread.

1. Fire blockade does more damage then lightning. Fire blockade gets a 20 percent (iirc) damage boost against burning targets. The 8% bonus aoe damage for lightning ends up being less damage
    2. Off balance (the 8% status effect bonus damage effect from lightning) can only be up a max quarter of the time on named mobs. That’s why someone runs IA in raids

If you’re soloing you can use anything and it doesn’t matter. If you’re doing dungeons you should be using double fire unless you’re a sorc or a healer
    Edited by Iskiab on March 31, 2019 6:02AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    If you’re soloing you can use anything and it doesn’t matter. If you’re doing dungeons you should be using double fire unless you’re a sorc or a healer

My main is a pet sorc. Though I do find I can sometimes miss damaging something with a flame staff since I try to do the longer loading shots and someone else (usually in delves) will kill it too quickly. That is one advantage of a lightning staff, instant damage even with long shots.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    .2. Off balance (the 8% status effect bonus damage effect from lightning) can only be up a max quarter of the time on named mobs. That’s why someone runs IA in raids

Off balance is an effect from lightning wall, when a mob is concussed, concussed is 8% more damage taken, minor vulnerability. Off balance is not a damage increase by itself(outside heavy attacks), you have to have the exploiter passive from cp and if you do, you get 10% more damage. Off balance also gives you double resources back from heavy attacks and also increases the damage by 70%. The minor vulnerability from IA is not the exactly the same as concussed(though they are the same named debuff and do not stack), with respect to setting mobs off balance with lightning wall. You need concussed to set a mob off balance will lightning wall.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on March 31, 2019 6:42AM
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    Because Alcast relies on light attacks as most of his damage, and Fire Staff has a higher light attack than lightning staff, by quite a far cry.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vajrak wrote: »
    Because Alcast relies on light attacks as most of his damage, and Fire Staff has a higher light attack than lightning staff, by quite a far cry.

25% is most?
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this stuff still relevant? I dont have a vMA staff but have 2 Siroria Inferno staves, has anything changed or is this necro still fresh?
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using the build guides at alcasthq.com as a target and I notice they only seem to have fire staffs. Does anyone know why that is?

I like lightning staffs better in general and I am wondering what the real difference is.

Fire staffs have a chance to proc the burning status, which deals damage over time, and fire damage goes more single target damage in general.

Shock damage has a chance to proc concussion and then off balance, which means the target takes more damage. Shock is also better at multiple target damage.

Personally I far prefer fire staffs visually.

Alcast is often building for trial maximisation, so if you are a dps the shock damage benefits will often be getting provided via the healers running shock staffs, hence for dps it can be the case a fire staff is better. But it does depend on the build and the way youre using your character.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fire staffs have a chance to proc the burning status, which deals damage over time, and fire damage goes more single target damage in general.

Shock damage has a chance to proc concussion and then off balance, which means the target takes more damage. Shock is also better at multiple target damage.

Personally I far prefer fire staffs visually.

Alcast is often building for trial maximisation, so if you are a dps the shock damage benefits will often be getting provided via the healers running shock staffs, hence for dps it can be the case a fire staff is better. But it does depend on the build and the way youre using your character.

Well, its pretty much run a necropotence lightning staff backbar and lose 4-5set piece siroria bonus, or just run 2 siroria fire staves. Considering that daedric prey and degeneration are single target anyway, I’ll go two fire for now.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

pulls worse numbers than fire staff on everything but petsorc.

My main is a pet sorc, so this may be why it is working well for me now. :)

Me too. I just wish it would hit what I was pointing at.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . Fire staffs have a chance to proc the burning status, which deals damage over time, and fire damage goes more single target damage in general.

Light attacks from fire staffs do not cause burning. All the skills do, light attacks do not.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire staff deals more damage with blockade than lightning staff does, so in most content the fire staff would be the better choice. Also, in group content it is expected from the tank to use a lightning staff (or else the healer), so the damage dealers can run fire staves.