The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Fire Staffs?

• Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the developers thought they would be cool and give each destro staff their own unique strengths for diversity. Instead everyone just equips firestaff because single target damage will always be king. (pvp)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Because the developers thought they would be cool and give each destro staff their own unique strengths for diversity. Instead everyone just equips firestaff because single target damage will always be king. (pvp)

It only is if you always hit. I hit much better with a lightning staff, so that is what I use.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fire = higher single target
    lightning = higher aoe

depends on the situation. the actual dps difference, particularly if you're a sorc, is for the most part negligible, but flame will out dps a good bit.

if you're sorc or doing an arena or use a lot of aoe's instead of ST/spam [which this patch ppl are using spam more hence more flame] then you're okay with lightning. If it's a matter of "I've grinded vma 125925 times and only have lightning" then yeah don't beat yourself up over the difference.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as engulfing flames exist, the staff of choice will always be fire.

Until they make other elemental based debuffs that classes can do, of course...
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• victory.immortalb16_ESO
    I run a lightening staff on my pet sorc, but mainly running through overland and trash delves/public dungeons so it doesn't really matter.

When I get back into the game next year I'll start running vMA at which point I might switch up but by next year I might have abandoned the build entirely and be running something else, depend on nerfs/buffs in the next few balance patches.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It only is if you always hit.

... what makes you "not hit"? O_o
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE

Which passives do I need to read? Which parts?

The staff to use depends on which buffs your dps more.

Fire WoE does more damage than the other two before considering Ancient knowledge passives. Then the choice of staff buffs either AoE (lightning) or Single target (fire). To really determine what works best for a build you need to test it both ways.

In the end, if you want to use lightning use it. Unless you are really needing to push your dps I would not stress about it.