The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Clarification on enchants: Unnecessarily over-complicated?

WhyMustItBe
WhyMustItBe
✭✭✭✭✭
I am not sure I understand how this was determined to be a necessary move as it seems to be quite clearly imbalanced against 1H + Shield tanks and no one else (unless I am misreading something).

1H + Shield is only one weapon and an armor piece yet it had it's enchant strength cut in half which hurts everyone due to loss of infused crusher primarily being the tank's responsibility and 2H staff procs being unreliable when adds are around.

Dual wield has two weapons but it is unclear how enchants will work. Will each hand have a SEPARATE chance to proc and enchant cooldown? If that is the case then there is basically no change to dual wield assuming they put the same enchant on both weapons.

Does having infused on one dual wield weapon reduce the cooldown and increase the strength of both hand enchants?

Why is 1H + Shield the only weapon being punished by this change?

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s weird for sure. This was the one thing ZOS did this patch that left me scratching my head. DW was not OP, and enchants were not a good reason to say it’s better than 2H for PvE or even PvP for that matter. 2H is kind of a mess damage/mechanic wise and needs work. This was a silly change that wasn’t even implemented properly.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure I understand how this was determined to be a necessary move as it seems to be quite clearly imbalanced against 1H + Shield tanks and no one else (unless I am misreading something).

1H + Shield is only one weapon and an armor piece yet it had it's enchant strength cut in half which hurts everyone due to loss of infused crusher primarily being the tank's responsibility and 2H staff procs being unreliable when adds are around.

Dual wield has two weapons but it is unclear how enchants will work. Will each hand have a SEPARATE chance to proc and enchant cooldown? If that is the case then there is basically no change to dual wield assuming they put the same enchant on both weapons.

Does having infused on one dual wield weapon reduce the cooldown and increase the strength of both hand enchants?

Why is 1H + Shield the only weapon being punished by this change?

@ZOS_GinaBruno

It's not really unclear how DW enchants will work.

See the Wolfhunter patch notes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/441713/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-2-5
    All Weapon Enchantments now correctly proc 100% of the time when not on cooldown when any Light Attack, Heavy Attack, or weapon ability deals damage.

When Dual Wielding, casting a weapon ability can now proc the Weapon Enchantment of either weapon. The system will favor proccing a Weapon Enchantment that is not on cooldown.

Then also see the update from Gilliam on how single-target DoTs no longer fire Weapon enchants: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443598/adjustments-to-how-weapon-enchants-and-poisons-trigger

But as has always been the case, two identical enchants share a cooldown. That applies regardless of weapon type. If you run a flame enchant on a resto backbar and a flame enchant on an inferno frontbar, they share a cooldown. If you run a bow backbar with a poison enchant and a DW frontbar with a poison enchant on one hand, they share a cooldown. If you run the same enchant on both of your DW weapons, they share a cooldown.

So that's the big change that comes with this nerf for DW users. Since you can't run the same glyph on both weapons, they've just reversed the inequality. Used to be that DW users had an advantage in that they could effectively use 3 full strength enchants, now DW is at a disadvantage because they can effectively only use 1 full strength enchant and 2 *separate* half-strength enchants. In practice, using a common in-game combination, that means that a 2H or staff user can use a Berserker glyph on one bar and an Absorb Magicka glyph on the other and get the full values of both but a DW user cannot do the equivalent. It also really hurts the rare double-DW build, which would not be able to get the full value of a single enchant.

In the end what this does is more-or-less remove Infused DW weapons from the meta and make DW enchants an afterthough.

It was honestly just not a well thought-out change all around. Hopefully they can adjust it to something less stupid down the road.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 24, 2019 6:16PM
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    It’s weird for sure. This was the one thing ZOS did this patch that left me scratching my head. DW was not OP, and enchants were not a good reason to say it’s better than 2H for PvE or even PvP for that matter. 2H is kind of a mess damage/mechanic wise and needs work. This was a silly change that wasn’t even implemented properly.

Dw is not op ? i think we play a different game xD
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really wish they would just keep 1h enchants at the same power level and just put dual wield enchants on the same CD. So just proc main hand, then offhand next CD, then main, etc.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    StShoot wrote: »

2h lacks behind dw not bc of enchants but bc of Skills.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on February 24, 2019 9:57PM
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    StShoot wrote: »

2h lacks behind dw not bc of enchants but bc of Skills.

Enchants are part of the reason. The skills don't really matter that much, most meta builds don't use any DW skills besides Rending Slashes anyway and Carve/Brawler is a fine substitute for that.

I do agree that Wrecking Blow could use some work to make it better for PvE, but Carve/Brawler and Executioner/Reverse Slice are both really good skills for PvE. But the lack of a crit-granting 2H weapon and the disparity in weapon enchant power were/are the other two primary advantages for DW, IMO.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS said that they don't like how DW dps can pull high damage numbers just by proccing their enchants whenever they come off cooldown. If they run a double DW bar, then they can effectively get twice the enchant dps with no additional effort. ZOS addresses that by nerfing the strength of enchants on 1h weapons despite the class reps' concerns about the collateral damage coming to Sword and Board (and the Torug's tank meta perhaps as well?)

An easy fix would be adding double the enchant strength of your mainhand weapon when using sword and shield as a passive to sword and shield.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How they are tiresome to rekt'd tanks over and over due to PVP nerfs.