Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lag and Server performance in Cyrodiil

silver1surfer69
silver1surfer69
✭✭✭✭
I dont know how many ppl have opened a similar thread but i hope there are thousands. The Lag in Cyrodiil has gotten so worse. Even the most hardcore pvpers ( i consider myself as such) who are almost always in cyro are thinking about or are beginning to stop plying ESO because the lag is so bad. And these guys are almost always eso+ members. Pls ZOS adress this problem before its too late or we have gotten to a point of no return where the hardcore pvp communit is turning towards another game. The lag is so bad especially at peak times, that it literally takes about 1 second before the skill or something is executed. Sometimes you are dead before u see an ability is executed on you. I have the theory that u increased the maximum number of players per map or something but the performance has gotten worse badly since last update or since at some point after midyear mayhem. This is serious, you are scaring away ur most hardcore diehard pvp fans.
PC/EU
Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is right though, the lag in Cyrodiil is too much to be concidered normal or even tolerable.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play 5 hours a day in PVP, but .. its just awful. i find myself doing BG's a lot instead but they're so messed up for other reasons it not much better.

I was fighting a NB 1v 1 in a keep tower earlier and it was one of those long fights, neither of us deserved to be stitched up by lag, but then through all the treacle and sticky skills.. LAG FART,

I tried to join a big group for an hour to. something i never do, but wondered if the lag would be different or if the pvp would offer me some enjoyment, MY GOD .. no it didn't, How those big groups play is beyond me. i couldn't do a thing. once i put my deep fissure into a big group, LAG FART
  • voldran
    voldran
    ✭✭
    How those big groups play is beyond me. i couldn't do a thing.

It is easy to spam one skill in a big group.
    Sotha PC EU
    Dravron Stormwing - MagSorc || Voldros Nightwing - MagBlade || Zorvo Morningstar - MagPlar || Dracos Nightwing - Mag/Stam DK
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    voldran wrote: »
    How those big groups play is beyond me. i couldn't do a thing.

It is easy to spam one skill in a big group.

Thats it though... it was so laggy today, couldn't even do that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove a large number of posts for baiting and flaming, which is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and on-topic to avoid thread derailment and action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zone needs to be closed and fixed!

Zos needs to be refunding people $, game simply doesn't work.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most frustrating thing is zos is so vague on whats going on and what theyre attempting to do to fix it.
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove a large number of posts for baiting and flaming, which is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and on-topic to avoid thread derailment and action on one's own account.

Thanks alot for ur informative post on the issue, we have waited for so long.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Tattooo
    Tattooo
    ✭✭✭
    this forum post just got hella boring
    I AM INNOCENT
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The recent lag increase combined with the highly annoying bugs that remain unfixed (stuck-in-combat for instance) has led me to take my first real break from ESO since launch. Even the daily rewards aren't making it worth logging daily to collect them, so I just log from time to time to collect mail from my harvesting assistants. And my last forum post where I tried to submit further feedback related to the lag-related crashes was met with a support rep asking me if I had forwarded ports in my router (newsflash to them: no port forwarding is required, all connections are outbound, not inbound...), and if I still had issues to contact their tech support department. This is just disheartening to see, even their forum support representative don`t seem to realize that there is a SERIOUS issue there, and the issue is not our home LANs - it`s their servers/network/code.

Since the last rounds of optimization last year, nothing seems to be happening anymore to resolve the lag issues. Makes me wonder if ZOS themselves might just have given up on this.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    One funny thing to try: deconstructing enchants while in a busy Cyrodiil night. The delay in the decon in Cyro compared to when doing it in PvE land shows that it goes beyond "skill lag" - a single decon request was taking close to two seconds when I was trying to just clear up some bag space last week...
  • Tattooo
    Tattooo
    ✭✭✭
    pssh
    Edited by Tattooo on February 18, 2019 10:59PM
    I AM INNOCENT
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »
    One funny thing to try: deconstructing enchants while in a busy Cyrodiil night. The delay in the decon in Cyro compared to when doing it in PvE land shows that it goes beyond "skill lag" - a single decon request was taking close to two seconds when I was trying to just clear up some bag space last week...

Trying to craft poisons in pvp zone with same result. Just gave up on it.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there,

"Thank you for understanding that ZOS has no F's to give about performance and is sure as hell not making it a priority"
    Go buy something in the Crown Store :|

PS4 NA primetime Vivec last night: 4 blue screens and twice couldn't even load into Cyrodiil and got kicked back to login screen. All over the course of 3 hours. Good job ZOS.
    Edited by valeriiya on February 19, 2019 5:04PM
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame cheat engines, exploits, and whatever other clever hacks some players use in being a pretend dominating player in Cyrodiil. Okay maybe the occasional zerg but I want to believe the server was designed to handle numbers, but not brute command jamming. I mean this morning even at a slow time I experienced a single NB running up to me my game froze for a solid 5 seconds, and came back to 10% health, and this guy just tromping all over me. This is not the only time this has happened, and I've noticed that every time it happens against certain players (usually players who dominate PvP).

I am not convinced otherwise. I'll L2P when this game stop being so dysfunctional due to other players abusing it.
  • voldran
    voldran
    ✭✭
    It is the server infrastructure. Who says they ever upgraded their core engine? ahah It is funny that ZOS thinks they have the upper hand but looking at the mighty EA falling it gives me some relief that anything can happen which changes this mentality.
    Sotha PC EU
    Dravron Stormwing - MagSorc || Voldros Nightwing - MagBlade || Zorvo Morningstar - MagPlar || Dracos Nightwing - Mag/Stam DK
  • Kickimanjaro
    Kickimanjaro
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this thread, saw that it had a ZOS response, got excited because I thought that perhaps they were finally addressing the lag... NOPE.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely abysmal today. Put in & out combat while sitting inside a keep no one was attacking. Tried to use my own siege, only to get a message telling me it was already in use (no one else was using the siege). Stuck in sprint, while not sprinting. Ping rate as high as 999. Unable to use any skills or swap bars.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    Absolutely abysmal today. Put in & out combat while sitting inside a keep no one was attacking. Tried to use my own siege, only to get a message telling me it was already in use (no one else was using the siege). Stuck in sprint, while not sprinting. Ping rate as high as 999. Unable to use any skills or swap bars.

The server was so laggy yesterday that my roll effect lasted 5x longer and there were portions where damage was mysteriously "missing," even from an entire zerg. My healing ticks and buff skills also missed myself. I was like "...not this again, come on...I'm on NA!" Not to mention the constant disconnections and messages to check my connection...

I have to admit, it may have been the worst lag I have ever seen in this game over the weekend. In fact, I don't think I've ever played a game that performed as badly as what I saw over the weekend, even games with far more fighting and more complex physics.
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    I blame cheat engines, exploits, and whatever other clever hacks some players use in being a pretend dominating player in Cyrodiil. Okay maybe the occasional zerg but I want to believe the server was designed to handle numbers, but not brute command jamming. I mean this morning even at a slow time I experienced a single NB running up to me my game froze for a solid 5 seconds, and came back to 10% health, and this guy just tromping all over me. This is not the only time this has happened, and I've noticed that every time it happens against certain players (usually players who dominate PvP).

I am not convinced otherwise. I'll L2P when this game stop being so dysfunctional due to other players abusing it.

Pretty sure the server lags at its worst when two groups of balltards wearing proc sets, esp. Earthgore, go toe-to-toe. Lag is usually at least bearable and nothing like what I've described above until those situations happen. More than players animation cancelling, I'd say that proc sets increase calculations because (1) they always work no matter how laggy the servers are, unlike skills that damage and/or heal and (2) they seem to have top-priority in the game, even over actual skills and healing.

Healing/shielding from proc sets also seems to have priority over damage, where healing/shielding from skills always seems like its calculated after damage. I have no idea if that is true, but if I were ZOS I would change that immediately so that only shielding sets work over damage and healing sets always work after. If they have them both on the same priority, then it's likely the server and lag is made worse by applying the proc to older player states and then ignoring your client's state data + re-transmitting it to everyone around you, with the re-transmission and "backdating" of dating getting worse the more players there are affected by the proc (more data to broadcast to everyone in the area). I can't really expand on that point because it would be a very lengthy post and it's only hypothetical; only ZOS devs really know how and how they have not programmed priority in the game.

I've said it before, but the game does not seem like it works in "real-time." Instead slightly behind real-time with backdating of actions. Lag moves it further and further from real-time and causes behavior like what I complained about above (missing actions and damage), and the only guard against situations where you bug is to boot you from the server (which might be why when there is a group of balltards running over you with destro ult you get DCed instead of actually dying). Again, I have no idea if that is intentional, but it is definitely something the dev team should look into changing or accounting for. If true though, it won't be a matter of time before someone finds how to take advantage of the system...
    Edited by Kadoin on February 25, 2019 7:00AM
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the sentiment here- the lag and skill delays are becoming more of a barrier to play. It used to be a very odd now and then the lag prevented me from playing and now the incident of that happening is about 40% of my time playing. I don't even want to start with the in combat bug- failure to be moving from one location to the other prevented multiple defenses or takes in the last month on a daily basis. Last night in particular there was only a group of three vs three and we were all lagged out and skill delays were about 3 secs- Crashing out was something that I used to be very lucky on, now its frequent enough that I plan on three crashes per every two hours of play and its quite accurate. Sad state we are in now, truly sad.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want eso to be successful I love the lore the race Breton 4 life the story and above all else the pvp which I play a lot but what ever this lag is it’s the worse I ever seen it I been with eso since console release this lag is causing loyal players to leave even I don’t play as much as I use to I’d play it all day every day around my real life stuff I got going on of course please fix it zos
  • angeleda
    angeleda
    ✭✭✭✭
    tenor.gif
    Edited by angeleda on March 25, 2019 9:34AM
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hadn’t been to Cyrodill in over a year before last night, where me and my brother entered to kill each other 10 times while covered in pie.

We got terrible lag, trying to fire off a couple of skills. I couldn’t believe how bad it was.

Not going back in there again.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today was bad. No fighting going on nearby and I got stuck in a snipe animation mashing the cloak key to get a magicka dodge and when it finally seems to go off I get pulled and snared then w/e. It was an inconsequential fight since I was in nowhere with a few people to fight and 30 more in the nearby outpost waiting for the tick. I still would have liked to fight instead of swing at the future or the past. Another fight I was used pull on someone and they would run around a corner then teleport behind me when the pull registered.

Eventually I was holding block and dodging and letting others take a swing at me with their skills not firing and kiting while they get light attacked down by AD. Fighting in a quasi-temporal incommensurate lattice is ontologically dissociative and force incoherent. The reflect and object are and is conflicted; purposive direct is is teleologically unsound there being more being than form.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but it would be worse on a commensurate lattice, since there is always that guy that masters it and queues up multiple attacks to kick you right in the four-dimensional space time point where your nards are.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or you master the other ball groups incommensurate lattice and kick them in the 4-D point nards.

Winner.gif
    Edited by Ruckly on March 27, 2019 7:44PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF is going on this weekend? I never get disconnects or much lag and it’s been horrible. My routing RTT graph is perfectly steady at 240 ping and in game it’s all over the *** place. Getting DC’d with low pops in small fights.
  • Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    WTF is going on this weekend? I never get disconnects or much lag and it’s been horrible. My routing RTT graph is perfectly steady at 240 ping and in game it’s all over the *** place. Getting DC’d with low pops in small fights.

I get these lag stutters where I cant break free or weapon swap and it drives me fu**ing crazy
  • Korinth
    Korinth
    ✭✭✭
    I almost never get lag or disconnects in Cyrodil....until tonight.

My Teamspeak connection info says I have a 58ms ping with 0% packet loss for reference.

Cyrodil tonight.. in ONE HOUR...I have lagged out 6 times. 2 just had bad rubberbanding and keys not working then everything worked somewhat OK. 2 kicked me to the login screen and I got back in (after multiple attempts) cyro and continued. and 2 kicked me out of cyrodil entirely. Avg Ping in Cyro was 300 - 500+ ms.

In Rivenspire my ping was between 120 - 160 (which isnt great but is my normal ping in ESO).

ZoS...you REALLY need to work on network code/hardware and stop screwing around with crown crates and money grabs. For an MMO of this size this kind of latency and poor netcode is really not acceptable.
    Guild Officer
    Tamriel Transport Co.

tusc.enjin.com/home
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've been looking in all the wrong places and they have to start looking Elsweyr.

I'LL SEE MYSELF OUT.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!