The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Necromancy Skill Line (AGAIN)

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yigrok wrote: »
    Hey, here's another cool idea, in the spirit of making the game actually play like a TES game:
    Make the necromancy skill line available to every other class! YES! That's right, no more separate classes. that's now how TES worked in the past, and how it should work in ESO...
    So, you think things that work well in single player games where there is one super-duper hero playing through content will work just as well in multipleayer games where there are thousands of heroes crawling all over each other and fight each other and somehow must be kept from all taking the same "best" skills to prevet the game from becoming as boring as playing the same quest over and over and opver and over again?

Now, it it was up to me, I would have gone with a "free choice" approach - make -everything- available, but have your choices lock out something else. Pick fire magic, get denied frost magic. Pick daedric magic, get denies aerdic magic. Pick lighting magic, get denies earth magic. Pick blood magic, get denied healing magic. et cetera.
    But... the powers that be choose differently for ESO.
    So the good ship "classless" has sailed, been set on fire and sunk a looong time ago.
    And they certainly won't change their whole game at this point.

Sop we have to think with what we have, and how to add things to make it better, rather then make futile suggestions about rebuilding everything, no matter how much we might have liked it another way... ;)
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yigrok wrote: »
    Hey, here's another cool idea, in the spirit of making the game actually play like a TES game:
    Make the necromancy skill line available to every other class! YES! That's right, no more separate classes. that's now how TES worked in the past, and how it should work in ESO...
    So, you think things that work well in single player games where there is one super-duper hero playing through content will work just as well in multipleayer games where there are thousands of heroes crawling all over each other and fight each other and somehow must be kept from all taking the same "best" skills to prevet the game from becoming as boring as playing the same quest over and over and opver and over again?

Now, it it was up to me, I would have gone with a "free choice" approach - make -everything- available, but have your choices lock out something else. Pick fire magic, get denied frost magic. Pick daedric magic, get denies aerdic magic. Pick lighting magic, get denies earth magic. Pick blood magic, get denied healing magic. et cetera.
    But... the powers that be choose differently for ESO.
    So the good ship "classless" has sailed, been set on fire and sunk a looong time ago.
    And they certainly won't change their whole game at this point.

Sop we have to think with what we have, and how to add things to make it better, rather then make futile suggestions about rebuilding everything, no matter how much we might have liked it another way... ;)

Quite a few successful MMOs have had classless skill systems and I agree with Yigrok that it would make ESO feel more like an actual elder scrolls game, but you are right in that it's far too late for them to remove the classes and start from scratch.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few successful MMOs have had classless skill systems and I agree with Yigrok that it would make ESO feel more like an actual elder scrolls game, but you are right in that it's far too late for them to remove the classes and start from scratch.
    Yeah, the thing about a classless system is, it would depend on the skills they make available. If they have all of them lower key and comparable with reach other, then its easy to make things classless. If they want to add some extra effect skills... then they have to make classes to lock out sdomething else to prevent everyone from picking only the good stuff, and everyone from being the same in the end...

I mean, think about it.

An class based MMO usually ends up in some sort of rock-paper-scissors configuration. (Okay, more like... tank-healer-DPS), roles that support each other, so people have a reason to play together, roles that exploit other roles weaknesses, so people can fight against each other.
    Now imagine the same game, but everyone was "hammer" because that beat each of the other three. Think anyone will have fun now that they are all the same?
    Oh, some will, the ones who have the skill to still win everything. They will want this. Everoyne else will hate it, because it would be boring - its the differences in characters that add spice to the gaming!

In that spirit, a classless system can work fine if they give an wealth of equally viable options, and let the player pick which one they want. But that sort of precludes extra speical skills, because otherwise everyone would take just those.
    A classless system will work fine in other settings. Fallout for example, or many scifi based settings without "special" abilities like biotics or the force... Not quite so good when you want to have "impressive" magic or some technobabblic equivalent.

Because either it is special, or it is available to everyone, and if its available to everyone, well...
    1pfyt0.jpg
    :p;)

Personally I am happy enough ESO at least didn't force our characters into specific armor and weapon choices! But I still would love to see more class-ish choices added for further character diversification - thus my always repeating my old and tired ideas for class specializations, more weapon options, and new fun with guilds... ;)
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game needs new classes, as it doesn't have enough and the ones it has are pretty stale due to the limited skillsets and hotbars. At some point new classes are going to have to be added, and Necromancer might as well be one of them, as it already fits in the lore.
  • SkyIsTheLimit1206
    SkyIsTheLimit1206
    ✭✭✭
    With strength and intelligence comes hard work.

Which is why not a lot of people are strong nor intelligent.
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Then I'll beat that dead horse until I'm just stomping in a puddle of red paste.

We should have had necromancy since launch and I'm gunna keep posting these threads until we get it.
  • Ryskim
    Ryskim
    ✭✭✭
    Since this is a post about Necromancy (and as a Necromancer myself in every game I can be one) I will be raising this post from the dead.

Yes, necromancy should have been in the game from the start. And yes, I know necromancy will be added sooner or later. It's just taking too long and the constant doubt about what it should be: skill line or full class.

I'd say skill line is what's going to be.

This is an elder scrolls. If you can be a murderer or a vampire or a werewolf (all of them also banned) then you should be able to be a necromancer. Simple as that.

Can't stand the retardness of people saying "no" because of plot and lore things. The is a gameplay feature, and this feature has been in every Elder Scrolls until now. The online version should be no exception.

Those naysayers deserve to be absolutely ignored. To their discontent, necromancy -playable- will be part of the game sooner or later. I'm sure the moment this class or skill line is release there will be a lot of angry people (which will make the addition even more satisfying) and a lot of happy people. Nothing will be more satisfying than smashing the new class in the face of those who say "No" to necromancy, "because, wtf no".
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't like it already. Probably going to be broken as hell for an entire 2 patches in PVP. Would rather ZOS just keep the original 4 classes and leave it there.

All the more reason to do it, who gives a *** about PvP :lol:

Seriously though, not a good enough reason not to do it, as a skill line it would open up so many doors to different play styles - deathknight dragon nights, necromancer sorcerers.. Would be fantastic and a welcome sight.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Vizikul
    Vizikul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ha, major necro. Arise Thurvokun!
    Pugging. Pugging all the way to victory.
    Imperial Dragonknight --- male, stamina, heavy & medium armor, dual wield, one hand and shield, two handed.
    Breton Templar --- female, magicka, light armor, restoration staff.
    Redguard Warden --- female, stamina, medium armor, bow.
    Breton Sorcerer --- male, magicka, light armor, destruction staff.
    Imperial Templar --- male, stamina, medium armor, two handed.

Daggerfall Covenant loyalist
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long live the dream!

One day I will revive dead players and have they be next to them.
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would give you this skill line? How would it fit into the lore? The Order of the Black Worm is not exactly friendly.
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    And again, Necromoncy class or skill line is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon since it is obvious necromancy is the bain of everyone in Tamriel at the moment. This is clearly the case due to the main story lines through the base game section.

Until that is remedied it seems to be a difficult case to make for adding the line or class.

Necromancy has always been a subset of conjuration. TES heroes have been able to summon skeletons, reanimated draugr and so on, even in environments like Morrowind where necromancy of non-beast races is illegal, or in Oblivion where necromancy is banned.

So there's good reason to go with the Oblivion method of "You can play like a necromancer but you can't join up with the Worm Cult for plot reasons," even here in ESO. A necromancer skill line would fit in nicely with previous TES games.

I didn’t argue against that.

However, you completely ignored the comment your replied to which clearly stated why necromancy is not available for ESO Heros.

Sorry I didn’t mean to revive this thread. Just noticed it hasn’t had a reply in a couple hours.

The Vestige teams up with a known Necromancer to take down Mannimarco. Not sure what youre talking about when you say its the bane of everyone in Tamriel. As if that is not the case in every other TES game. You as the Player Character get away with a lot more than the average NPC/Mob in the game. Thats how its always been.

A Necromancer Skill-line would greatly expand on diversity for builds and its lore friendly. Not sure why anyone would be against something like this as it has no negative impact on others.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »
    Who would give you this skill line? How would it fit into the lore? The Order of the Black Worm is not exactly friendly.

Abnur Tharn teaches you a bit of necromancy in the main story, why not him?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

Abnur Tharn teaches you a bit of necromancy in the main story, why not him?

Well, maybe because
    Abnur Tharn ended the main quest by grabbing the Amulet of Kings and taking off so he could try (and presumably fail) to use it for his own ends.

Needless to say, he's not exactly in my Vestige's good graces right now.

Any usage of Tharn would have to deal with that, presumably requiring finishing the main quest.

There is, however, a fairly friendly necromancer in Grahtwood, Vastarie.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they add another class I'm going to scream...yell....

If anything they should remove classes if they add many more skills unless its a DLC skill tree
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gimme that now

Edited by Lazarus_Rising on May 10, 2018 5:29PM
    also known as Overlich.
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And again, Necromoncy class or skill line is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon since it is obvious necromancy is the bain of everyone in Tamriel at the moment. This is clearly the case due to the main story lines through the base game section.

Until that is remedied it seems to be a difficult case to make for adding the line or class.

This argument again. So we can ride around on an undead horse, have undead pets, look and act like a skeleton or a zombie or a Draugr, raise a phantom skeletal dragon, have necromantic tattoos broadcasting devotion to the necromantic arts. Yet a skill line is unlikely or not appropriate?

This argument carries absolutely no weight anymore IMO.

• Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yisareh in fang lair also uses necromancy and she is member of the Undaunted.
    also known as Overlich.
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly i would be fine with ZOS adding a few skills and passives to the soul skill tree that unlock after main quest is done.

If i had to give a semi legitimate reason for no necromany skill it would have to be that we are essentially allied with meridia and she hates that stuff. So we do not practice necromancy out of courtesy. That said when we go rescue darien from her coloured rooms i wouldnt be surprised if necromancy is the skill line for such a dlc
  • oli.j.reillyb16_ESO
    Why is every necromancer suggestion thread just a copy/paste sorcerer with a little bit of extra edginess?
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO (AGAIN)
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine how laggy trials would be with several necromancers with multiple summons?
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Why is every necromancer suggestion thread just a copy/paste sorcerer with a little bit of extra edginess?

Because that's what you want to see. What part of this post is just a copy/paste of sorcerer?
    Can you imagine how laggy trials would be with several necromancers with multiple summons?

Exactly as laggy as trials with several sorcs with multiple summons
    Edited by stimpy986b14_ESO on May 11, 2018 3:36PM
  • Orjix
    Orjix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just give me a poll so I can vote no already
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    No. Necromancy is very much frowned upon.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Victus wrote: »
    No. Necromancy is very much frowned upon.

Is assassination and thievery not frowned upon?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because necromancy is the edgy and dark subset of Conjuration and ZOS chose to make Sorcerers who only use the daedric summoning subset of Conjuration.

Conjuration in the past Elder Scrolls game has made both daedric summoning and necromancy available to player characters (including characters like the Hero of Kvatch who fought Mannimarco and the Worm Cult), but ESO chose to leave out necromancy for this one. Of course people want it.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i will resub once we get a Necromancer class i absolutely stopped spending any money on eso till that happens :P
  • Gwyin24
    Gwyin24
    Soul Shriven
    Zordrage wrote: »
    i will resub once we get a Necromancer class i absolutely stopped spending any money on eso till that happens :P

Did you resub yet or waiting until June? Also NECROMANCY POWERS GOOOOOOOO
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gwyin24 wrote: »
    Zordrage wrote: »

Did you resub yet or waiting until June? Also NECROMANCY POWERS GOOOOOOOO

I mean you sure did necro this post
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates