Maintenance for the week of February 18:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox One: EU megaserver for maintenance – February 20, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
The Wrathstone DLC Game Pack and Update 21 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/454456/

Everything needed to know about Bow/Bow in PVE

• SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once I heard (*edit* from another thread, not this one) that you wouldn't want to place a poison glyph on the back bar bow because it procs on the target closest to you rather than the boss. I tested this on target dummies with different names and found that it simply isn't the case, it hits the target closest to the center of your endless hail, much like the crusher glyph as someone else pointed out on another thread.

Placing the poison glyph on the back bar adds a lot of poison status damage as well since poison would proc every two seconds. Lately I've been running poison glyph back bar and weapon damage glyph front on my Stamblade since it seems to put out better DPS.

I think the case of closest target is for blockade, but you still cant totally control whats by game considered in middle. Not that it matters that much imo. Having it on backbar means it procs constantly while weapon damage can proc and be active on backbar. Plus next patch half the melee stamDDs will put absorb enchant on back anyway since they need the full effect of it
    PC | EU | AD
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since there have been some misconceptions recently about Long Shots and many questions in past, I decided to make this quick visual guide about the passive.

Main things to note about Long Shots:
    • It affects only bow abilities (including light attacks)
    • It is additive with all other % bonuses, notably CP (and others like Hawk Eye, Minor Berserk, ...).
    That means for example on build with 10% (mighty), 18% (thaumaturge), 8% (minor berserk), 25% (hawk eye) going from 0m range to 23m range (12% long shots) will increase damage of your volley by 7.5% and not 12%.

AbCpmJf.jpg

The distances in picture are measured by the last position each skill with reported distance could be used. I dont know and cant bother to check if 5m skills can be casted up to 5.99m or 5.49m or 4.99m. The red lines are the last position before long shot buff gets increased by 2%.
    PC | EU | AD
  • dougd82ub17_ESO
    SodanTok wrote: »
    In case someone was reading new racial balances and is interested to know what it means for bow (at least from my opinion)
    • Damage - Khajiit > Dark Elf > Orc > Redguard >= Bosmer
    • Sustain on Snipe rotation - Redguard > Bosmer > Orc > Khajiit > Dark Elf
    • Sustain on Cutting Dive/Crushing weapon rotation - Bosmer > Redguard > Orc > Khajiit > Dark Elf

Various builds will benefit from each race differently, thats how close they will be. Something like stamsorc that spends most of rotation just using spammable (optimally snipe) will benefit greatly from redguard while warden that can do something more engaging with cutting dive/sub assault benefit slightly more from bosmer sustain.

It also means classes that already have solid sustain (to a point of sustaining 3M parse with bistat food) can look for something with only small sustain but bigger damage (orc, khajiit). In other situations races like bosmer/redguard will allow to do it on other classes or when lacking DPS (or just to feel better in groups with less occurring shards/orbs). Then there is the khajiit that got stat bonus to stamina/health (and well magicka) meaning dubious just got even more efficient (you probably wont have to put much to health now).
    With some testing there probably be a superior choice, but currently it looks like the choices will be meaningful in different way (what you prefer more) and only insignificantly in damage output ;)

I notice you dont mention Imperial anywhere in this post. After recent rebalancing are they no longer an advised race for a bow/bow build? Would you now put bosmer over imperial for a warden build due to their added sustain benefit?
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In case someone was reading new racial balances and is interested to know what it means for bow (at least from my opinion)
    • Sustain on Cutting Dive/Crushing weapon rotation - Bosmer > Redguard > Orc > Khajiit > Dark Elf

Various builds will benefit from each race differently, thats how close they will be. Something like stamsorc that spends most of rotation just using spammable (optimally snipe) will benefit greatly from redguard while warden that can do something more engaging with cutting dive/sub assault benefit slightly more from bosmer sustain.

It also means classes that already have solid sustain (to a point of sustaining 3M parse with bistat food) can look for something with only small sustain but bigger damage (orc, khajiit). In other situations races like bosmer/redguard will allow to do it on other classes or when lacking DPS (or just to feel better in groups with less occurring shards/orbs). Then there is the khajiit that got stat bonus to stamina/health (and well magicka) meaning dubious just got even more efficient (you probably wont have to put much to health now).
    With some testing there probably be a superior choice, but currently it looks like the choices will be meaningful in different way (what you prefer more) and only insignificantly in damage output ;)

I notice you dont mention Imperial anywhere in this post. After recent rebalancing are they no longer an advised race for a bow/bow build? Would you now put bosmer over imperial for a warden build due to their added sustain benefit?

That was post for first Iteration (where Imperials were absolutely horrible). I havent put too much thoughts into them yet, I will wait for final revision on Monday since races keep changing every week, some even doing full 180 (like khajiit which also basically dropped from one of best options to possibly one of worst on bow)
    PC | EU | AD
  • dougd82ub17_ESO

That was post for first Iteration (where Imperials were absolutely horrible). I havent put too much thoughts into them yet, I will wait for final revision on Monday since races keep changing every week, some even doing full 180 (like khajiit which also basically dropped from one of best options to possibly one of worst on bow)

Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you have to say then. I dont know how many other people have said this to you, but thank you for all the hard work, input and insight into bow/bow builds that you have done.
    Its been incredibly helpful and I just wanted to acknowledge your hard work.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've tried my Imperial warden on PTS and was pleasantely surprised. Sustain was better and one aspect of new Imperial that is very interesting is ability to use Lava Foot soup and bump your health up with health enchants. Works especially well on a warden since heal from Red Diamond will proc Minor Toughness to put you even closer to comfortable health levels. I was able to hit 17,5k with just two big health enchants and I can definitely see how a more dedicted DD player can get away with only using one.

I've noticed DPS increase compared to live with this setup although I have not done any extensive testing since ping on PTS makes rotations feel a lot clunkier than they should be.