The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

why don't more people complain about invisibility as a spammable means to completely cancel damage?

• Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    You may not like cloak and think it needs a fix but I say leave it alone. When I am not playing a NB in PvP knowing there are NB out there keeps me on my toes. There could be one right on top of me I would not know it. It is a War and you need to be ready and prepared for anything to happen. Learn to counter these NB as many, many, many others have. I use to get ganked all the time my first year of playing PvP and died a lot. Now not so much and I kill a few here and there. I feel I am a better player because there are NB out there. Just my two cent and if you have not already I would highly suggest rolling a NB and play it for a few moths in PvP. Then maybe you can come back and give that end of the story, thanks.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    steven22 wrote: »
    Its annoying but mostly because some other classes have been nerfed and we have soo many NBs now. Its just annoying when you go through more detect pots in a night than you do your main pot because everywhere you go; cloakers.

That said; I don't think a direct nerf is needed. If you play a NB, you can see it is not a guarantee that it will work. What I would like to see is get rid of the eye for detection so we can catch more flies. Increase the radius of camo hunter and radiant magelight to be that of a detect pot. One nerf though, would be any channeled ability removes stealth at the begining of activation. You can leave heavy attacks for magblades but snipes are outside of the range of all the counters. Alternatively to the channel nerf; make flare do like a rapid fire 5 shots that follows where you move your cursor up to 40 meters

Basically make the counters better and give us some way to deal with max range cloaking.

There are enough counters which are working fine against Cloak . If you cant handle it , maybe you are the problem. Think about that.

Wow. That's so insightful and profound. I should just use that 7 meter detect ability or detect pots that are what? 17 meters to detect someone sniping from 40 M. Totally my bad.

Cloak needs a rework or maybe they should remove this Skill completly. I would not mind cuz i dont use it very often in Pvp.
    Maybe cost increase or a mechanic like streak.

But it would be nice if snipe gets a damage decrease.

Thats the thing. I dont want cloak outright nerfed. Its not a given that its going to save you and thats why so many bad ones just sit back using snipe. Thats why I suggest making the counters more effective but it still requires you to use them rather than just demolish the playstyle of NB. Good NBs are going to be able to kite around and fight just like any non-cloaking class so a full cloak nerf is just taking away some identity.

Yes . In my opinion two things could be done : Increase the cost of cloak and / or decrease the damage out of it.
    Good nbs are using their shades for kiting mostly, so cloak isnt that necessary for them.
    Maybe next update ( Elsweyr ? ) we will see this change.
    Main - Char : Dandriil - Tamriel Hero, Explorer, Stormproof,Overlord

Nightblade since Beta , ESO Plus , PC EU

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's counterable...
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's counterable...

Barely. ;) If your detect pot is on cooldown, GL and GG. Inner Light/Radiant Magelight isn’t catching a ranged NB any time soon. Piercing Mark has been nerfed to Oblivion. Throwing random ground AOEs in a direction where you THINK that NB who failed to Snipe gank you might be hiding is usually little more than a waste of resources. Most of the NB counters are only effective in melee range, and the overwhelming majority of Cloak users play at a distance.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tetrafy wrote: »
    Because there are easy counters you can slot on every class. And it's rock paper sciccors who complains about rock being too powerful?

Yeah I use them, and yet cloaked players are non-existent. Honestly if there was a huge exodus of cloak abusing NBs from this game, I wholeheartedly will show you all the door and make sure it hits you on the ass.
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think detect pots need a buff or have stam regen available with them.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Its annoying but mostly because some other classes have been nerfed and we have soo many NBs now. Its just annoying when you go through more detect pots in a night than you do your main pot because everywhere you go; cloakers.

That said; I don't think a direct nerf is needed. If you play a NB, you can see it is not a guarantee that it will work. What I would like to see is get rid of the eye for detection so we can catch more flies. Increase the radius of camo hunter and radiant magelight to be that of a detect pot. One nerf though, would be any channeled ability removes stealth at the begining of activation. You can leave heavy attacks for magblades but snipes are outside of the range of all the counters. Alternatively to the channel nerf; make flare do like a rapid fire 5 shots that follows where you move your cursor up to 40 meters

Basically make the counters better and give us some way to deal with max range cloaking.

There are enough counters which are working fine against Cloak . If you cant handle it , maybe you are the problem. Think about that.

Wow. That's so insightful and profound. I should just use that 7 meter detect ability or detect pots that are what? 17 meters to detect someone sniping from 40 M. Totally my bad.

Cloak needs a rework or maybe they should remove this Skill completly. I would not mind cuz i dont use it very often in Pvp.

Thats the thing. I dont want cloak outright nerfed. Its not a given that its going to save you and thats why so many bad ones just sit back using snipe. Thats why I suggest making the counters more effective but it still requires you to use them rather than just demolish the playstyle of NB. Good NBs are going to be able to kite around and fight just like any non-cloaking class so a full cloak nerf is just taking away some identity.

Yes . In my opinion two things could be done : Increase the cost of cloak and / or decrease the damage out of it.
    Good nbs are using their shades for kiting mostly, so cloak isnt that necessary for them.

increasing the cost would be the best solution.
    have it increase with each cast like dodge roll...
    Edited by heavier on January 28, 2019 8:11PM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heavier wrote: »

That idea won't work, it will only further harm magnb. Problem with increased cost is alot of the stam nb have very low stealth detection radius so they stealth > dodgeroll > cloak and then they are in actual stealth. They don't spam cloak but maybe twice if caught out.
    Edited by Datthaw on January 29, 2019 11:27AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

That idea won't work, it will only further harm magnb. Problem with increased cost is alot of the stam nb have very low stealth detection radius so they stealth > dodgeroll > cloak and then they are in actual stealth. They don't spam cloak but maybe twice if caught out.

Kinda like how the increasing mag cost on streak places balanced limitations on the number of times mag and stamsorc can use their powerful escape tool? If my magsorc can’t streak for days to reset a fight, why should a magNB be able to freely spam cloak to a safe space, heal up, and immediately go on the offensive again? My old stamsorc could only use streak once, maybe twice, before running out of magicka, similar to how a stamNB would not be able to spam cloak if cloak had a timed cost increase associated with it.
    Edited by Aurielle on January 29, 2019 12:05PM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Kinda like how the increasing mag cost on streak places balanced limitations on the number of times mag and stamsorc can use their powerful escape tool? If my magsorc can’t streak for days to reset a fight, why should a magNB be able to freely spam cloak to a safe space, heal up, and immediately go on the offensive again? My old stamsorc could only use streak once, maybe twice, before running out of magicka, similar to how a stamNB would not be able to spam cloak if cloak had a timed cost increase associated with it.

You are comparing apples and oranges, I hate how people compare streak to cloak they are totally different in every single way. Streak is a gap creater, stam sorc is the fastest class in the game. 1 streak should be all you need with shuffle or forward momentum and they fastest movement speed in the game. Magsorc it's streak streal dardeal streak streak darkdeal. It's a gap creater man I hate you sorcs trying to act like your class is not strong. Come play magnb with me and we will see you here in a week crying.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak doesnt have a cooldown nor cost increase, Cloak works against 90% of all encounters and skills ingame. Huge damage mitigation, reset the fight whenever you want, get a crit heal/damage after it, regen ressources while in it, charge heavy attack, reposition yourself without anyone knowing, surpress every dot on yourself. Did i miss something?

Counters for cloak: holy detect pots with 49 (?) Seconds Cooldown if not already on Cooldown from previous potion.

Aoe spam: barely works cause nightblades are fast in cloak and dont stand still. Hard to hit, needs to guess where the nightblade is. 40 Meter ranged attacks give nightblade a quite good save area from aoe.

Magelight/Evil hunter: short range, expensive af and only counters cloak while cloak counters nearly everything.

Mark: 5 seconds duration, class exclusive to nightblade....

Ye, some really valid counters against cloak here.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »
    Cloak doesnt have a cooldown nor cost increase, Cloak works against 90% of all encounters and skills ingame. Huge damage mitigation, reset the fight whenever you want, get a crit heal/damage after it, regen ressources while in it, charge heavy attack, reposition yourself without anyone knowing, surpress every dot on yourself. Did i miss something?

Counters for cloak: holy detect pots with 49 (?) Seconds Cooldown if not already on Cooldown from previous potion.

Aoe spam: barely works cause nightblades are fast in cloak and dont stand still. Hard to hit, needs to guess where the nightblade is. 40 Meter ranged attacks give nightblade a quite good save area from aoe.

Magelight/Evil hunter: short range, expensive af and only counters cloak while cloak counters nearly everything.

This is the problem with nb, people lump then together, they don't play the class and just do not understand. I am in no way defending how easy it is for STAMINA nightblades to utilize cloak. STAMINA nb has easy access to snare removal and the ability to dodge roll. This is what makes cloak strong, not the skill itself.

This is why I said increase cost of cloak is a bad idea because it will only hurt MAGICKA nightblade. Good stamblades use the combination on snare removal and dodgerolls to maximize thier use of an expensive mag skill to pull this number

stealth > dodgeroll > cloak

they do not "spam" cloak, the idea they do is hoestly dumb.

try using cloak on a MAGICKA night blade and you will understand that it's no just the skill that makes stam nb strong but the combination of snare removal so you can't lock them down, low stealth detection radius so they can stealth easily, dodge roll which also dodges all projectiles etc...

However I'm sure you will still just say it's op so I don't even know why I bothered typing this
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually decided to run my NB last night after this thread and used the counters. Detect pots work but there are so many NBs out there you would almost have to have it as your main POT. Evil hunter actually works IF you have an idea what a NB will do because the range is so short, but it also provides a good crit buff as well, and magelight is similar in providing more magicka and the range is also very short.

The best thing ever though, is having mark even in its nerfed state. There are some NBs who know how to actually play and will still be a hard out even if they cant cloak, but there are so many that go into absolute panic mode, and they usually are near large numbers of enemies trying to get a straggler to where they probably should panic. It's still kind of ironic that it takes a NB to really counter a NB; but if more people do it, especially to these snipe-cloak weavers; you might be able to thin them out.

Thats my big problem with it. I can deal with it but am getting damned tired of that pretty much being the game with so damned many.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the problem with nb, people lump then together, they don't play the class and just do not understand. I am in no way defending how easy it is for STAMINA nightblades to utilize cloak. STAMINA nb has easy access to snare removal and the ability to dodge roll. This is what makes cloak strong, not the skill itself.

This is why I said increase cost of cloak is a bad idea because it will only hurt MAGICKA nightblade. Good stamblades use the combination on snare removal and dodgerolls to maximize thier use of an expensive mag skill to pull this number

try using cloak on a MAGICKA night blade and you will understand that it's no just the skill that makes stam nb strong but the combination of snare removal so you can't lock them down, low stealth detection radius so they can stealth easily, dodge roll which also dodges all projectiles etc...

However I'm sure you will still just say it's op so I don't even know why I bothered typing this

I agree. Magblades have indeed a harder time to utilize cloak then stamblades. And most of the magblades i encounter in cyro doesnt even use cloak.

The most complains are coming from stamblade encounters. Snipers are one of the main complain points. They already have the advantage of a huge ranged hard hitting skill, snipe. On the first encounter their target isnt even aware of their present so they are free to fully buff up and fire 2 snipes at max range before the first on hits their target. So basicly 2 x 10k snipe + at least 1 enchant proc + cc from stealth. If this didnt killed your target they are completly free to vanish into stealth and prepare their next attack.

The counters to this are actually limited and quite useless.

Then we have melee nightblades. They take a higher risk and the counters to cloak are indeed stronger in melee but its still a very very potent skill in many aspect of the game. Damage mitigation by avoiding every single target attack and granting a crit on next heal or damage. Most nightblades enter cloak when they are low hp to benefit from a lot. Damage mitigation even from dots and a crit rally heal, then enter combat again without being in execute range again. This can get really frustrating tbh.

Imagine fighting a nightblade, getting him to 10% hp with your ult and going for execute. Dodgeroll, cloak, rally. 80% hp +

Thats soooo frustrating and players searching for ways to counter this. Hello steel tornado. And there we got another "meta" to complain about.

By giving cloak an cost increase after each use would reduce a lot of complains. Stamblade will have a harder time to sustain cloak and cant use it so frequently anymore. Magblades have a higher magicka pool and a higher regen to sustain this.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Magblades have indeed a harder time to utilize cloak then stamblades. And most of the magblades i encounter in cyro doesnt even use cloak.

The most complains are coming from stamblade encounters. Snipers are one of the main complain points. They already have the advantage of a huge ranged hard hitting skill, snipe. On the first encounter their target isnt even aware of their present so they are free to fully buff up and fire 2 snipes at max range before the first on hits their target. So basicly 2 x 10k snipe + at least 1 enchant proc + cc from stealth. If this didnt killed your target they are completly free to vanish into stealth and prepare their next attack.

Then we have melee nightblades. They take a higher risk and the counters to cloak are indeed stronger in melee but its still a very very potent skill in many aspect of the game. Damage mitigation by avoiding every single target attack and granting a crit on next heal or damage. Most nightblades enter cloak when they are low hp to benefit from a lot. Damage mitigation even from dots and a crit rally heal, then enter combat again without being in execute range again. This can get really frustrating tbh.

Imagine fighting a nightblade, getting him to 10% hp with your ult and going for execute. Dodgeroll, cloak, rally. 80% hp +

Thats soooo frustrating and players searching for ways to counter this. Hello steel tornado. And there we got another "meta" to complain about.

By giving cloak an cost increase after each use would reduce a lot of complains. Stamblade will have a harder time to sustain cloak and cant use it so frequently anymore. Magblades have a higher magicka pool and a higher regen to sustain this.

Dude I main a magnb. Ranged magnb every attack we have can be dodge rolled and can be reflected.

But I still say you put a 2-3 second cost timer on cloak like sorc, it will only hurt magnb.
    Edited by Datthaw on January 29, 2019 2:37PM
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    illusion school of magic

remove cloak and 50% of your playerbase to say the least will disappear

is it not magnificent? I mean, just pure Ilussion School

PS: and OP just stop making threads complaining about everything, it's clear there are things you don't understand nor are you willing do understand
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude I main a magnb. Ranged magnb every attack we have can be dodge rolled and can be reflected.

But I still say you put a 2-3 second cost timer on cloak like sorc, it will only hurt magnb.

But how should we else reduce the effectiveness of cloak?

You just say, that cost increase in Bad. Give an alternative then .
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't compare cloak to streak. It's not the same.

Streak can be compared to dodge roll and got the same treatment.

Cloak can be compared to sorc shields. Both a defence skill. Both can use it to heal up and reset the fight.

Imho
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    illusion school of magic

no its not. i doubt that there are so many pvpers in the game. 50% of 2% of playerbase is more realistic. 99% of this 50% will eat nerf and adapt.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Cloak can be compared to sorc shields. Both a defence skill. Both can use it to heal up and reset the fight.

:flushed:
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    illusion school of magic

no its not. i doubt that there are so many pvpers in the game. 50% of 2% of playerbase is more realistic. 99% of this 50% will eat nerf and adapt.

Yes, it is. Given the nonsensical and non-asked-for latest changes in Murkmire (and all the previous ones), if they nerf cloak it'll mean the final nail in the coffin for ESO for many players. Why? most of their playerbase will realize ESO devs don't know or care *** about them or their own game.

There's a lot of countermeasures against cloak but potato players have to go full potato and prove they'll remain potatoes.
    Why don't you NERFwagoners ask for BUFFs for your class instead and stop *** around??
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But how should we else reduce the effectiveness of cloak?

You just say, that cost increase in Bad. Give an alternative then .

I dont think you need to alter cloak at all. Because, I keep saying it, cloak is not over performing. There is alot of other variables that go into why people think it is.
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    Why bad players always whine, complain and ask to nerfs everything instead of learn to play?
    If you cannot manage your own resources - it's your problem.
    If you don't want to learn your class - it's your problem.
    If you cannot use skills, pots or poisons - it's your damn problem, not ours, no need to nerf a whole class only bcs, oh, my, you're ganked/bombed, what a tragedy.
    Always the same, tons of potatos come here and whine, whine, whine, nerf dks, sorcs, magblades, enchantments OP, 2H overperforming, no need CC, what next? Nerf mudcrabs?
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Don't compare cloak to streak. It's not the same.

Streak can be compared to dodge roll and got the same treatment.

Imho

I play a mana nb, no shields mostly no cloak. If I use it , to do more damage ... so i dont heal me with cloak. With shade i try to survive a complicate fight, heal (!) and come back fighting.

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol just slot a detect pot or use an aoe to reveal
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    I actually decided to run my NB last night after this thread and used the counters. Detect pots work but there are so many NBs out there you would almost have to have it as your main POT. Evil hunter actually works IF you have an idea what a NB will do because the range is so short, but it also provides a good crit buff as well, and magelight is similar in providing more magicka and the range is also very short.

The best thing ever though, is having mark even in its nerfed state. There are some NBs who know how to actually play and will still be a hard out even if they cant cloak, but there are so many that go into absolute panic mode, and they usually are near large numbers of enemies trying to get a straggler to where they probably should panic. It's still kind of ironic that it takes a NB to really counter a NB; but if more people do it, especially to these snipe-cloak weavers; you might be able to thin them out.

Thats my big problem with it. I can deal with it but am getting damned tired of that pretty much being the game with so damned many.

Are you playing stamina nb ?

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For now. I'm so heavy on the magicka though I'm probably going to flip.
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭

For now. I'm so heavy on the magicka though I'm probably going to flip.

If you want try magicka. Its a lot of fun :)

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

You are comparing apples and oranges, I hate how people compare streak to cloak they are totally different in every single way. Streak is a gap creater, stam sorc is the fastest class in the game. 1 streak should be all you need with shuffle or forward momentum and they fastest movement speed in the game. Magsorc it's streak streal dardeal streak streak darkdeal. It's a gap creater man I hate you sorcs trying to act like your class is not strong. Come play magnb with me and we will see you here in a week crying.

K. Please see my signature — I play every class, including magNB. ;) Streak and Cloak are predominantly used in similar ways: for defense, primarily. Me trying to retreat from a fight on my magSorc with Streak would be HARDLY ANY DIFFERENT from me trying to retreat from a fight with Cloak. The only difference is that I would have a distinct advantage with cloak, as the enemy would not be able to see where I was trying to escape to (unlike when I use streak).

I play a cloakless magNB, though, as I recognize that the skill is an unbalanced crutch.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »
    lol just slot a detect pot or use an aoe to reveal

lol what if your detect pot is on cooldown, or the nb is sniping you from range and rolling from your caltrops before you can hit them with it because they always have the upper hand? Most anti-cloak counters only work effectively against bad NBs or melee range NBs.
    Edited by Aurielle on January 29, 2019 6:15PM