Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he used fossilize once, that Magplar would be dead.

I doubt that. Fossilizing DK's have been dealt with by Doom many times. They all died.

Not to mention that Fossilize would only succeed in activating the full measure of Dooms defenses.

Edit: Of course, if you are on ps4 NA Vivec, you could jump on your own DK and give Doom a demonstration of how done.

:)

Are you volunteering doom to fight people? Have you spoken with him about it?

I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Afterall, this guy acts like he knows it all and he calls Shady 'terrible' which we both know is definitely not true.

With that being the case, I have no doubt Doom would happily fight him.

Edit: I have no doubt that it would be extremely easy to persuade Shady to fight him as well; especially after finding out that this guy says he sucks.

Do you agree?

I think you should stop pretending not to be doom, weirdo.

I think you should stop obsessing over Doom.

Unless you encounter him ingame, your dealings with him are over.

They should be, but he's currently skating through a forum ban by pretending to be someone else.

You should stop speaking on dooms behalf.

What I do is my business and mines alone.

Find something else to do and get Doom out of your thoughts; its consuming you.

Only thing i care for is to get you to stop dodging the ban and gtfo.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thoughts on the race changes? I think my Argonian magplar will be fine next patch, but the new High Elf passives look like thyey're tailor made for magplars. Khajit is also tempting...
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Thoughts on the race changes? I think my Argonian magplar will be fine next patch, but the new High Elf passives look like thyey're tailor made for magplars. Khajit is also tempting...

I'll stick with Dunmer. The spell damage boost is better than the fire damage for my build anyway.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The high elf passive plus the Light of Cyrodiil set... looks like we'll be seeing a new melee magplar meta.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go high elf or breton.
    So tired of the ugly argonian look.
    Think dunmer will be a great pvp race too.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on January 17, 2019 6:18PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like that this will introduce a few more extremely viable races that weren't previously considered seriously. I will probably stay a Breton myself and really like the cost reduction buff.

I do notice the overall reduction in stats as far as what you're getting versus a percent gain, but at the same time it means your racial passives will stack a little better when you have something that grants you a percent increase in magicka such as inner light.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Breton will be a pretty solid choice because of the spammy nature of magplar in pvp.
    Will be great for mistform as well.
    I'm curious how the high elf passive that gives resource on skill use will work.
    Will it be based on your highest total pool or will it be based on the highest current value.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serious race discussion will have to happen after they are on PTS. It might change before it hits live and I won't update this guide until those changes are live plus tested in combat.

With that said, I think any of the races are fine based on the notes:
    - high elf has great synergy with channels+cyro light+meditate.
    - breton gets cost reduction that lands between alteration mastery and seducers, 2k max mag, 100 regen and enough spell resist to be about 1 protective trait. Think about that.
    - kitty gets tri-stat recovery and 8% spell crit. Synergy with templar 10% crit hit dmg. Also gets tri max stats. VERY versatile.
    - redguard gets 7% weapon skill cost reduction. If it works on ultimates, could see 2h melee magplars run beserker rage with forward momentum or staffplars running destro/resto running destro reach/force pulse/resto ults. Plus you get stamina on any direct damage (remember initial hits of dots are considered direct damage and the cooldown synergizes with reflective light without any points in enduring rays passive).
    - orc gives you health/stam on weapon abilites so master destro templars will see benefit. Also faster speed means less slower templars, and could stack with light armor passives on sprint cost reduction+race against time.
    - imperial - 15% chance to heal for 1750 without cooldown. Gives enough max health/stamina that requires a bunch of enchants on other classes that do not have this passive.
    - dark elf gives equal to 1pc dominhaus as its max stat passive and a mundas stone worth of SD/WD. Can swap between magplar/stamplar easy.
    - argonian - same just nerfed a little so it isnt best flexible build anymore. Still looks great.
    - wood elf - HUGE recovery and speed without a weapon/ability slotted. stealth detection is about equal to Way of the Air set 4pc bonus.

And the races that have immunities to status effects retain those benefits (except argonian/wood elf, it had poison/disease removed and replaced with one depending on the race).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The more I think about it, the more appealing a kitty magplar sounds. Seems like it could perform well in both PvP and PvE. And the RP possibilities...👀
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. All races from a PvP perspective on magplar and stamplar are legit.

Hell even a high self stamplar can be used. All them PURGES. Great balancing from pvp perspective.

I'm a nord, an staying nord for magplar. Awesome mitigation buffs. Awesome ultimate gen buff. Stamina buff for Dodgers and breaks. I'm down
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Breton will be a pretty solid choice because of the spammy nature of magplar in pvp.
    Will be great for mistform as well.
    I'm curious how the high elf passive that gives resource on skill use will work.
    Will it be based on your highest total pool or will it be based on the highest current value.

Yes Lord!!!

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »

The high elf passive plus the Light of Cyrodiil set... looks like we'll be seeing a new melee magplar meta.

That really wouldn’t be new, my magplar already uses Light of Cyrodiil but if we’re being honest that passive will shine the most in no cp .

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That really wouldn’t be new, my magplar already uses Light of Cyrodiil but if we’re being honest that passive will shine the most in no cp .

Considering the race changes haven't even happened yet, yes it would be a very new synergy, and BiS race for any build using Light of Cyrodiil. I didn't say the set was new lol.

Speaking of which, what are your guys' thoughts on the new dungeon set? Looks beast for aoe burst. Cone version of Overwhelming Surge:

Auroran’s Thunder (Light)
    2 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    3 – Adds 129 Spell Damage
    4 – Adds 1487 Spell Penetration
    5 – When you damage a nearby enemy with a single target ability, you summon a cone of lightning from your chest for 3 seconds, dealing 1285 Shock Damage every 0.5 seconds to enemies in the cone. This effect can occur every 6 seconds.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the race changes haven't even happened yet, yes it would be a very new synergy, and BiS race for any build using Light of Cyrodiil. I didn't say the set was new lol.

Speaking of which, what are your guys' thoughts on the new dungeon set? Looks beast for aoe burst. Cone version of Overwhelming Surge:

Auroran’s Thunder (Light)
    2 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    3 – Adds 129 Spell Damage
    4 – Adds 1487 Spell Penetration
    5 – When you damage a nearby enemy with a single target ability, you summon a cone of lightning from your chest for 3 seconds, dealing 1285 Shock Damage every 0.5 seconds to enemies in the cone. This effect can occur every 6 seconds.

I was saying Templar’s using it isn’t new and the ones currently using it probably aren’t going to get much from adding 5 percent since it’ll be reduced. Have to calculate major protection, minor protection, cyrodiils light and the new high elf passive. I’m assuming it’s actually 2-3 percent. High elf is already bis for that setup because it favors damage dealers and aggressive glass cannon play styles.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with the latest race change updates I might just stay imperial. Some hefty buffs coming!

Question: how does Purifying Light's damage cap work? Can you raise it by using fire destro staff (single target damage)? What other things affect how high it goes?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with the latest race change updates I might just stay imperial. Some hefty buffs coming!

Question: how does Purifying Light's damage cap work? Can you raise it by using fire destro staff (single target damage)? What other things affect how high it goes?

Still waiting for last pts notes and a week or two after live before updating. I'm also staying imperial; more flexibility than Breton and let's you go mag/Stam in the future.

Purfying light is buffed by fire staff, but only the initial hit DMG. The capped DMG is just impacted by penetration and max mag; otherwise it's basically copying over a percentage of your attacks. The final DMG doesn't crit, but that's because your actual DMG abilities do crit. It should ignore Battlespirit, but because your attacks are already reduced.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, makes perfect sense. I think I will use it to replace radiant for my lightning aoe melee build as an execute.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took my stamplar nord and with rune and Bloodspawn was sitting just barely past the armor cap in medium and it was cool but; I weapon swap a lot with my build and turns out there is a bug where if you get Cc'd while swapping using a butt mapped individually for each bar, you get stuck on a bar.

So to work around it, I felt like a magplar build I had in mind would be less swapping if i used back bar for maybe just some range setup and buffs with a fire staff, then stayed melee front bar using dual wield for major expedition and evasion, it might help. Wound up putting ER and HTD on front bar as thats what i intended to be most aggressive with if i did get stuck and that's where HTD had the highest tooltip; but that left me getting stuck back bar with only RD and javelin for offense and still some swapping. So I now am going to go ice staff on back bar, move all buffs there and ER with HTD for block casting to make up for lower tooltip and I'm going to try using just the bar toggle rather than my bind but old habits die hard.

Been running Nord in 5-1-1 light shackle and bright throat. Getting near armor cap when buffed. Taking advantage of the Nord passives and added 1 stam recovery glyph today to help with blocking, and blade cloak replacing a mag recovery one I had but felt I was over sustaining with focus and ele drain, and spell power pots. Still getting 2500 spell damage unbuffed and 30k magicka which is not huge but does the job. I was running defile, stealth detect, health poisons on my nirnhoned dual swords trying to keep some of my stamplar spirit alive and it actually isnt bad. Infused first staff with spell damage enchant. Avoiding vamp because fire damage sucks right now.

BTW. New solar barrage, sweeps, and spear ultimate on a Nord in bloodspawn makes for good pressure and uptime. It's when I have to retreat that's tricky so hoping some block casting HTD helps.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I took my stamplar nord and with rune and Bloodspawn was sitting just barely past the armor cap in medium and it was cool but; I weapon swap a lot with my build and turns out there is a bug where if you get Cc'd while swapping using a butt mapped individually for each bar, you get stuck on a bar.

So to work around it, I felt like a magplar build I had in mind would be less swapping if i used back bar for maybe just some range setup and buffs with a fire staff, then stayed melee front bar using dual wield for major expedition and evasion, it might help. Wound up putting ER and HTD on front bar as thats what i intended to be most aggressive with if i did get stuck and that's where HTD had the highest tooltip; but that left me getting stuck back bar with only RD and javelin for offense and still some swapping. So I now am going to go ice staff on back bar, move all buffs there and ER with HTD for block casting to make up for lower tooltip and I'm going to try using just the bar toggle rather than my bind but old habits die hard.

Been running Nord in 5-1-1 light shackle and bright throat. Getting near armor cap when buffed. Taking advantage of the Nord passives and added 1 stam recovery glyph today to help with blocking, and blade cloak replacing a mag recovery one I had but felt I was over sustaining with focus and ele drain, and spell power pots. Still getting 2500 spell damage unbuffed and 30k magicka which is not huge but does the job. I was running defile, stealth detect, health poisons on my nirnhoned dual swords trying to keep some of my stamplar spirit alive and it actually isnt bad. Infused first staff with spell damage enchant. Avoiding vamp because fire damage sucks right now.

BTW. New solar barrage, sweeps, and spear ultimate on a Nord in bloodspawn makes for good pressure and uptime. It's when I have to retreat that's tricky so hoping some block casting HTD helps.

shackle/bright; sounds like you are in nCP, but you should be having like 33-37k mag with that setup (i get 37k mag with willpower and just bright on my imperial).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for Wrathstone. Keep the discussion going!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

shackle/bright; sounds like you are in nCP, but you should be having like 33-37k mag with that setup (i get 37k mag with willpower and just bright on my imperial).

Running it in CP. Have over 27k HP, might be closer to 28k. Using Red Frothgar so maybe I could tone down for less health and more magicka somewhere.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Running it in CP. Have over 27k HP, might be closer to 28k. Using Red Frothgar so maybe I could tone down for less health and more magicka somewhere.

For sure. But whatever you feel comfortable with, as long as it works for your build. Only you can decide if the stat levels work for you :D
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tired the new solar barrage out this morning I'm still not totally sure if it's worth running since I was mostly avoiding massive siege damage.

Any one have any luck with it?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tired the new solar barrage out this morning I'm still not totally sure if it's worth running since I was mostly avoiding massive siege damage.

I'd run it with dawnbreaker stun or use meteor, backbar Total Dark, and keep vamps bane/reflective light/toppling charge. Use spell power pots or run crit pots.

This way while you reposition, you can use vamps for ranged DPS/snare to get closer to make SB work better. And reflective light+light attack weave does decent dmg with SB ticking off, don't discount it easily but instead use it for ranged pressure while you get closer.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd run it with dawnbreaker stun or use meteor, backbar Total Dark, and keep vamps bane/reflective light/toppling charge. Use spell power pots or run crit pots.

This way while you reposition, you can use vamps for ranged DPS/snare to get closer to make SB work better. And reflective light+light attack weave does decent dmg with SB ticking off, don't discount it easily but instead use it for ranged pressure while you get closer.

That's a very good idea I'm trying it with elegant armor right now just to see if the damage is worth it fully buffed up but I need to find some better fights and less siege me from 2 miles away nonsense
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the same spot where I like it on paper. Its a DOT that is not going to get purged and seems to synergize well with having it and crescent sweep pulsing while you keep puncturing sweeps going. Its like having an extra PS hit every other PS channel, and boosting the light attack weave also adds some pressure.

The thing is, like you said with siege, you are avoiding that but even when I find fights its a little extra zergy right now. I did go in first on an outpost take the other night and having that and sweeps going and making sure I hit ER as soon as I got dotted, I seemed to be doing some great cleave but I also have been getting bugged where I cannot bar swap including at one point there so I have not had many good samples.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Been looking into going full range build and honestly I think this skill is a must slot for something like that as well as most dueling builds. Put a few points in staff expert and your fire staff lights will do spammable damage. I don't really have room for it on my current build but might try to fit it but I can't see it not being insane on a single target style range build. Make sure to use a good enchant as well.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno I know some people think it's trash but I think it's worth adding rattlecage to your recommended sets (it's what I use hehe) and also armor master in light can be pretty good too.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Been looking into going full range build and honestly I think this skill is a must slot for something like that as well as most dueling builds. Put a few points in staff expert and your fire staff lights will do spammable damage. I don't really have room for it on my current build but might try to fit it but I can't see it not being insane on a single target style range build. Make sure to use a good enchant as well.

Bar space has been my number one challenge every time I've tried to put together a PVP rangeplar. Of course for any build there are going to be skills it would be nice to have if I could fit them. But I've always felt a PVP rangeplar really needs 12 or so skills.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My non-CP ranged magplar build:

qQWK5H0.jpg

Breton, atronach mundus,, tri-food, 5-1-1 light, protective jewelry. Torug's and Valkyn Skoria Armor, Spinner's Jewelry and Inferno staff, Willpower resto staff.

13.5k penetration with ele drain active, over 3k spell damage buffed (minor sorc and weapon damage glyph proc missing from screen shot), 24k health, 28k magicka, 14k stamina, 1400 mag recovery, 34k spell resist and 23k phys resist in rune. Flame Glyph tooltip of 4624 weaved with crushing shock for main dps after PL and dots/buffs applied.

Will sometimes replace Meteor on front bar (which is only used for mage guild passives) with Crescent Sweep which can act almost as an execute for players that get in melee range.

Edit: Stats are from murkmire, I think I have slightly less magicka now, and slightly more recovery. Spell resist is a little less too.
    Edited by Kartalin on March 1, 2019 4:04PM
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube