Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry Crafting is Garbage!

videogamer951
videogamer951
Soul Shriven
So....Why the extra refinement step in the jewelry crafting process? Why not make it like all the other crafting professions where you get the upgrade mats in the refinement process instead of more raw mats that you have to refine into the actual upgrade mats themselves. In its current state it takes 10 zircon grains to refine into 1 zircon plating. It then takes 4 zircon platings to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry to epic quality. So 40 Zircon grains (which are a random chance in the refinement process so you might get one and you might not) to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry to epic. I have done a bit of refining these raw mats and the chances of getting zircon grains and chromium grains which are for legendary are not too impressive. I wonder how many millions upon millions of raw mats it will take to upgrade all of the jewelry that I would like to upgrade to epic and then legendary. Not to mention Jewelry Crafting Writs. ZOS, if you're going to put jewelry crafting in the game then please make it obtainable and not Impossible!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, jewelry crafting was designed to be more expensive than it's counterparts. There are multiple sources in the game for gathering gold jewelry.
    1. Vet trials drop a guaranteed piece of gold jewelry upon completion
    2. Vet HM trials drop 2 guaranteed pieces of gold jewelry upon completion
    3. PVP campaign rewards drop gold jewelry
    4. The golden vendor has gold jewelry in it as well
    5. Vet Trial/Arena Leaderboards can drop it as well.

There are similar sources for gold gear as well, (But you would use 9-11 pieces of gold gear versus only 3 for jewelry) So the gold jewelry drops are significantly higher than they are for the others.

If it were cheap and easy to gold out jewelry via Jewelry Crafting, it would remove one (more) of the rewards for doing veteran content (you could just run normals for blue gear and upgrade). It would also remove the most important Alliance Point (AP) sink in the game with the sell-able gear from the golden, that lets PVP players convert AP to Gold, since those prices would plummet if they were significantly cheaper than the 150k/250k gold to upgrade jewelry at this time.

Secondly, Jewelry crafting has only been in the game for 8 months. The other professions for nearly 5 years now. Everybody wants to upgrade their jewelry, craft the gear that uses JC materials, (potentially) do JC master writs, AND they have to farm all the materials from the beginning. The other 3 crafts had YEARS to build up supply, hence why they are cheaper.

There are a dozen other threads here covering similar things... Personally, I think the system is okay right now (they've already reduced the platings needed by 50% in the Wolfhunter patch) The ONLY thing at this time (and based on where prices will end up) is that JC master writs are undervalued still and will be too expensive to do (If prices come down to the point that all JC master writs are valuable to do, this will lower the value of platings to the point that the Golden Vendor is now significantly less valuable for the PVP players)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was put off by the JC implementation initially but after spending some time playing the market i find i can upgrade pieces to legendary for about the same amount i would spent at the golden vendor.

That means i can get exactly what i want without the RNG of the golden vendor ...
    shades.gif
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    thx for stating the obvious brinks but i agree along with most of the community, i speed leveled 1 toon in the first few days jewelry came out and i regret it. I then leveled all the rest of my 7 toons over time but have yet to actually make any gold jewelry for myself due to the EXTREME cost of mats. The few gold/purple mats i have gotten doing writs on 7 toons every day and deconning jewelry, again, every day, i have sold to help pay for my guild trader. At the rate I get gold mats id still be only half way through golding all my toons.

My plan was to sell early and wait for the prices to go down like everything always does but In all that time that prices of purple and gold mats have actually gone UP in price so that it costs about 350k gold to improve 1 item from blue to gold. Now imagine making/improving jewelry for 7 toons at that cost. Ill just keep waiting for them to appear in the pvp trader, its not like you get a dps boost from golding jewelry anyways.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ramber wrote: »
    thx for stating the obvious brinks but i agree along with most of the community, i speed leveled 1 toon in the first few days jewelry came out and i regret it. I then leveled all the rest of my 7 toons over time but have yet to actually make any gold jewelry for myself due to the EXTREME cost of mats. The few gold/purple mats i have gotten doing writs on 7 toons every day and deconning jewelry, again, every day, i have sold to help pay for my guild trader. At the rate I get gold mats id still be only half way through golding all my toons.

My plan was to sell early and wait for the prices to go down like everything always does but In all that time that prices of purple and gold mats have actually gone UP in price so that it costs about 350k gold to improve 1 item from blue to gold. Now imagine making/improving jewelry for 7 toons at that cost. Ill just keep waiting for them to appear in the pvp trader, its not like you get a dps boost from golding jewelry anyways.

Then why does it really matter? It's an expensive system designed for fully min-maxing your character. It is not needed for any content in the game.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i speed leveled 1 toon in the first few days jewelry came out and i regret it.
    Just FYI, you can actually *make* gold leveling JC, i'm currently leveling my 4th toon and i'm making about 10k gold per level.
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on December 12, 2018 10:20PM
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I took one look at this system when it came out and decided to forget about it. Way too grindy!
    To be honest I'm quickly getting sick of looking at parts of a bloody game, which I pay for every month, that are pretty much unobtainable or inaccessible.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Its abit hard when you just start JC, but if you put some time and effort in it and have multiple maxed JC crafters the gold flows in if you want or use the tempers yourself.

Dolmens in Al'Akir are a good source for getting jewelry for extraction and you can start there at any level, be sure to take all passives from the JC crafting tree to get max tempers if refining/deconstruction. And dont forget to research all the traits what will help you to get a better chance to get gold temper pieces from master writs. Also a good source for purple tempers are running battlegrounds, they give alot of purple jewelry to deconstruct.

Last tip is to save all raw materials until the extraction passive is maxed out to get the best results and you dont need to refine anything while leveling JC, and you can start master writs at any level, just do the tier one writs for some extra exp and a guarenteed jewelry piece what can be deconstruction and tier one materials are very cheap on vendors.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Then why does it really matter? It's an expensive system designed for fully min-maxing your character. It is not needed for any content in the game.

People always try to offer this kind of "reasoning"; but, the truth is that any advantage, however slight, is still an advantage.

Which is why most people, who want to truly compete in the hardest content (whether PVE, or PVP), will feel obliged (whether by themselves, or by others) to use gold jewellery.

At that level, any upgrade quickly becomes, more-or-less, compulsory.

It is this way in every game and always has been.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I am running 10 Jewellery Daily Writs all but 2 are at max level.

I get a fair amount of Chromium Grains and Jewellery Maps and quite a lot of Jewellery Writs which I just delete out of hand as they are of no value to me (or anyone else)!

I am by the above combinations plus regular Mats foraging Runs getting enough Jewellery Mats throughput to keep my mats fairly constant and promoting an item from Blue or Green to Gold about every couple of weeks.

Nobody ever said this would not be a grind as it is designed to be one.

I will not spend my hard earned Gold on Jewellery Mats as they are too highly priced due to all the wannabee pressure by the top end players to get to Gold.

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

People always try to offer this kind of "reasoning"; but, the truth is that any advantage, however slight, is still an advantage.

Which is why most people, who want to truly compete in the hardest content (whether PVE, or PVP), will feel obliged (whether by themselves, or by others) to use gold jewellery.

At that level, any upgrade quickly becomes, more-or-less, compulsory.

It is this way in every game and always has been.

disagree. many players in end-game raiding would do so with purple jewelry. That being said.... almost ALL builds use jewelry that drops from trials, which means there is a way to get it to drop gold, rather than purple.

Relequen, Siroria, WM, MA, TFS, AY, Olorime, IA, Mending, Alkosh, MD, etc... all can drop in gold.

Tanks have it the roughest, since Alkosh is really their only set that drops in trials. Ebon, Dragon, Torug's, all are purple (or crafted) (The exception for DPS would be a MS/BSW build)
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewellery crafting was a con when it came out the advertisement that we can craft our very own jewellery and upgrade it to the top tier levels and then people realised that the mats and the acquiring of mats was so low that it just wasn’t fun or worth doing

Then they increased the drop rate of mats and decreased the cost of mats needed for upgrading which was welcome but still time consuming for most

I currently have 12 toons with 9 at max jewellery level currently but it’s been a long time to get 9 toons to max and I am doing daily writs which at the moment averages 1 gold grains a day some days I get 2 or 3 some days I get none, so it still takes about 40 days to level 1 piece of jewellery

It is better to get more toons to max as you get more grains but surveys drop rate decreases too

I have since jewellery crafting started manage to upgrade only one set of jewellery to legendary which just shows how painful it can be and even now I ask why they even bother dropping master writs for legendary jewellery as you just can’t justify doing them currently still

Anyone that says purple jewellery is fine and you don’t see a difference is talking rubbish and just wants people to stay lower than them so they can have the advantage in PvP and even a spot on a trail team because they have increased stats and can pull an extra couple of k on a stationary dummy that doesn’t fight back
    Edited by macsmooth on January 3, 2019 11:50AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Jewellery crafting was a con when it came out the advertisement that we can craft our very own jewellery and upgrade it to the top tier levels and then people realised that the mats and the acquiring of mats was so low that it just wasn’t fun or worth doing

Then they increased the drop rate of mats and decreased the cost of mats needed for upgrading which was welcome but still time consuming for most

I currently have 12 toons with 9 at max jewellery level currently but it’s been a long time to get 9 toons to max and I am doing daily writs which at the moment averages 1 gold grains a day some days I get 2 or 3 some days I get none, so it still takes about 40 days to level 1 piece of jewellery

It is better to get more toons to max as you get more grains but surveys drop rate decreases too

I have since jewellery crafting started manage to upgrade only one set of jewellery to legendary which just shows how painful it can be and even now I ask why they even bother dropping master writs for legendary jewellery as you just can’t justify doing them currently still

Anyone that says purple jewellery is fine and you don’t see a difference is talking rubbish and just wants people to stay lower than them so they can have the advantage in PvP and even a spot on a trail team because they have increased stats and can pull an extra couple of k on a stationary dummy that doesn’t fight back

rubbish. got it! I have 15 toons (12 at max JC)... I have sold over 40 platings already...enough to upgrade 3 + sets... I have also upgraded 4 pieces myself. I have also done 2 400+ voucher JC writs (one for the achievement, one because i needed some quick vouchers) So, you're either very, very, very unlucky, or simply not exaggerating the truth

you also didn't read above... almost EVERY SINGLE DPS and HEALER set you run in end-game content, drops in GOLD already, (or at least used in combination with body pieces that are much cheaper to upgrade) no need to upgrade!!!! Now, if you can't clear HM craglorns/etc, guess what! you don't need the jewelry!!!! Not having gold jewelry is not the reason you can't clear that content, you just can't do the mechanics.

• macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭

rubbish. got it! I have 15 toons (12 at max JC)... I have sold over 40 platings already...enough to upgrade 3 + sets... I have also upgraded 4 pieces myself. I have also done 2 400+ voucher JC writs (one for the achievement, one because i needed some quick vouchers) So, you're either very, very, very unlucky, or simply not exaggerating the truth

you also didn't read above... almost EVERY SINGLE DPS and HEALER set you run in end-game content, drops in GOLD already, (or at least used in combination with body pieces that are much cheaper to upgrade) no need to upgrade!!!! Now, if you can't clear HM craglorns/etc, guess what! you don't need the jewelry!!!! Not having gold jewelry is not the reason you can't clear that content, you just can't do the mechanics.

You obviously didn’t read my comments properly as I stated it took awhile to get the toons I have to their current level, I never said they where level 50 from day one which you must have been for you to be so abrasive towards another persons view on jewellery crafting, I also never said I spent my game time doing nothing but jewellery

The ability to not do end game content, I don’t recall saying I am not able to do this at all which you seem to be a pro at with your judgements, I stated it was rubbish about the upgrade to legendary doesn’t give you any boost in stats and that there isn’t a difference

Oh and congratulations on doing a master writ I wouldn’t waste on them but good on you for doing one I’m not actually impressed but good achievement anyways, the fact that you did those master writs for quick vouchers doesn’t really answer the cost to reward worth of jewellery master writs on a daily basis

Edited by macsmooth on January 4, 2019 8:21AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You obviously didn’t read my comments properly as I stated it took awhile to get the toons I have to their current level, I never said they where level 50 from day one which you must have been for you to be so abrasive towards another persons view on jewellery crafting, I also never said I spent my game time doing nothing but jewellery

The ability to not do end game content, I don’t recall saying I am not able to do this at all which you seem to be a pro at with your judgements, I stated it was rubbish about the upgrade to legendary doesn’t give you any boost in stats and that there isn’t a difference

Oh and congratulations on doing a master writ I wouldn’t waste on them but good on you for doing one I’m not actually impressed but good achievement anyways, the fact that you did those master writs for quick vouchers doesn’t really answer the cost to reward worth of jewellery master writs on a daily basis

:joy: you are a piece of work aren't you. Insult somebody's opinion, then get angry when they fire back!

I didn't have my characters at max early on either. I did some work to grind up my main crafter to 50 quickly, but other than that, I just did low level writs, and put the rings I've been getting from playing the game to decon to level up the other characters. Now at 12/15 max (even though I keep a couple only doing level 1 JC writs, because max level aren't worth it)

I was using the example of doing that writ to show how many platings I've actually gotten.

The end-game content was a remark as in how to SOURCE the items that everybody is so damn insistent on having to upgrade. My point is... if you can't do the content that drops the gold gear you need... you don't need the gold gear!!!! It wasn't directed at you personally.

There is an upgrade between purple and gold, obviously. I remember when I bought a Gold Worm Necklace from the golden vendor for my healer. I gained 6 magicka, 1 magicka recovery, and 1 spell damage by changing out 1 piece from purple to gold :joy: That is most certainly NOT going to make the difference in you being able to clear nAA and vAA (or vAA HM) That was the point.

In all fairness, with the NEW jewelry traits, there is a fairly large difference between purple and gold jewelry (especially on infused). But the original point still stands. There is an IN-GAME, CONTENT based way to get almost ALL of the gear you need for end-game play, at the legendary level (NO UPGRADING!!!!) The Jewelry crafting system is meant as a convenience!!! A very expensive convenience, but a convenience none the less.

Now, JC as a way to transmute jewelry, to infused, or bloodthirsty, or whatever you want... is simply amazing.

If they reduced the price on JC mats (by changing drops, etc...) It would destroy one of, if not the only, AP sinks in the game in the golden vendor. I know plenty of PVP people who use the golden to convert their AP to gold when a popular set comes to the vendor.

The JC writs for a legendary, 9-trait, new jewelry trait is for 461 vouchers... at a cost of about 800-850g per voucher. This is very, very close to what items from the writ voucher vendor sell for in guild traders (750-800g per voucher). So... I didn't make any profit doing it myself... but I didn't lose anything.

I am also on record here, many, many, many times, that JC MASTER writs are not worth it in most cases (exception above). The voucher values need to be increased. But any other changes do drop rate, materials needed, etc... will ruin an economy for PVP players, for running end-game trials, etc... I'm not willing to risk that, those two facets of the game are already running on fumes. Please don't advocate for taking away one of the few benefits of running PVP (AP to gold through the golden) or running vet trials (gold jewelry to decon for grains to sell) Outside of those, running PVP or vet trials is a gold LOSS to those, between gear, pots, etc... (especially if you are in progression)
    Edited by tmbrinks on January 4, 2019 4:44PM
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    It is garbage, the game made them a premium when they didn't have to. Anything new that comes out will be just as bad since ZOS can't think of any other way to keep players engaged.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has got to be the hardest grind in the game. I spent about two days grinding at dolmens to get jewelry. Deconstructed tons of it. And with the crafting experience boost from the Tower champion tree and an experience scroll, I still only managed to advance about 5 levels. The rate of progress is stupidly low. At this rate, by the time I reach level 50 it will have taken two to three weeks of non-stop grinding.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has got to be the hardest grind in the game. I spent about two days grinding at dolmens to get jewelry. Deconstructed tons of it. And with the crafting experience boost from the Tower champion tree and an experience scroll, I still only managed to advance about 5 levels. The rate of progress is stupidly low. At this rate, by the time I reach level 50 it will have taken two to three weeks of non-stop grinding.

Experience scrolls have no effect on inspiration when deconning gear.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos stated very clearly the did not want the upgrading of jewelry to be as common as everything else which is why it is not like everything else. As simple an answer as can be provided.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience scrolls have no effect on inspiration when deconning gear.

I'm at level 47 in jewelry crafting now. I finally started getting the picture when I only advanced two levels after deconstructing an entire weekend's worth of jewelry from Dolmen grinding.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If anything they should change the number of platings needed back to double what it is now to upgrade. Then fix writs to reward a large amount.
    Edited by Skwor on January 8, 2019 1:44PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made it to level 50 last night, at last. :)

Now, there's just enchanting left to master. I'm just one level away. It's almost as bad as jewelry crafting but not quite there.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I made it to level 50 last night, at last. :)

Now, there's just enchanting left to master. I'm just one level away. It's almost as bad as jewelry crafting but not quite there.

I have 5 full 50/50 all crafts avatars. It is actually not that hard. Gets even easier once you have several crafters doing dailies.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS just wants to make sure we take long enough... lol
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on January 16, 2019 10:58PM
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.