Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we make 2 handlers viable for pve dps this chapter??

ochsinator
ochsinator
✭✭✭
How do you guys think zos could make 2 handers viable as a dps in pve
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are viable for AOE. And for 90% of the player base they are viable for single target as well.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult because of the big crit loss from daggers and only one enchant in the weapon. For optimized content, higher critical ratings are very important.

They could work on the passives and give some sort of passive critical and buff the bleed/initial damage from Carve, I think. Other than that, I don't see DW being behind any time soon.
    The Eon Pokémon.
  • SanSan
    SanSan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already are though. Basic attack = aoe
    execute = aoe
    plus you got class skills that have aoe too.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    single target instant spammable plz
  • ochsinator
    ochsinator
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

Change the wrecking blow morph to something else that changes the ablility to instant cast reducing damage a bit and making the next attack a critical hit
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're great in a lot of situations, but uppercut needs reworked. I'd cut the cast time, lower the damage, and redesign the skill as an instant, single-target spammable.

Other than that, they have their uses, just not if you're trying to get the best possible DPS parse. As said before, they're fine for most people. Personally, I find master 2H with cleave is an absurdly effective setup for killing trash. It's fun to see 30k crits on everything it hits. If you ignore how unreliable uppercut is, 2H weapons are good in PvP. Admittedly less attractive now that enchants are so good on DW, but Gap closer and execute make a huge difference.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, uppercut needs a reduction in cast time, apart from that they're both fun and useful.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Driving. Will post on return
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Crushing Weapon for. Makes LA with maul hitting like a truck.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, at home now, KHYVAS' STEPS TO MAKING 2H GREAT AGAIN!

1) Look at and (maybe) rework some skills.

1a) Uppercut/Wrecking Blow: To be honest, not the most useful move here, is it? I mean it's not bad, it just isn't as good anymore, especially with the nerf- I mean "rework" to light and heavy attacks. On this one I actually echo others' suggestions to make it an instant cast move with slightly less damage on it's base form and it's morph of Wrecking Blow, rather than have people rely entirely the Psijic skill line to make a weapon type more viable/reliable. This way you get a strong skill that hits like a truck while boosting that weaving damage people are so fond of. This now gives players a choice between going Imbue Weapon or the new Wrecking Blow.

1b) Carve: Something tells me Ultimate is not hard to come by and Minor/Major Heroism isn't too hard to come by either, so maybe change Carve to be a more DoT oriented skill by grossly increasing the damage this skill does? Like either of the following would work:

- Increased base damage and grossly increased DoT damage
    - While a target is bleeding from your Carve, increase Crit Chance.
    - While a Target is bleeding, the damage of each tick is increased by X% consecutively.

This is all of course a more optional suggestion, as Minor Heroism maybe isn't that bad?

1c) Executioner: Reverse Slice is actually pretty baller for an AoE execute skill, almost as good if not better than Whirlwind imho. What it lacks in range it makes up for in sheer strength, which makes the extra 50% damage Executioner has for remaining single target kind of....meh. To that end, I suggest this:

- Executioner: Hit for X, deal up to 350% damage based on remaining Health, and return X Stamina and Health when enemy dies to this skill.

2) Look at the passives and change these up. These would perhaps, apart from changing how Wrecking Blow works, going the farthest to closing the gap between 2H and DW

2a) Forceful: Keep the initial part where 3 nearby enemies take 25/50% of the primary target's damage from Light and Heavy attacks, but lower it to 15/30%. Add in a second part where Critical Strikes with a 2H have a 10/20% chance to cause an enemy to bleed for X Damage over Y Seconds. This will work closely with the next passive change suggestion.

2b) Heavy Weapons: Minor yet huge reworks based on the previous change. Note these changes would also affect DW as well. Only fair.

- Swords increased Damage and Attack Speed by 2.5/5% <---This would count for Stamina based casts and channels while a sword is equipped.
    - Axes Increase Critical Strike Chance by 5/10% <--- Idk what the rate is with daggers, but basically the idea is to competitively match it. Yes I am aware axes and daggers for DW would have to change. My idea is to have Daggers increase Crit Damage instead.
    - Maces ignore 10/20% of an enemy's armor and have a 2.5/5% chance to knock an enemy off balance with light and heavy attacks.

2c) Follow Up: Time to make it a bit more friendly to current meta and content, yes?

- Increases Heavy Attack Damage by 10/20%, in addition to it's old effect. Makes using a Heavy Attack as a 2H user feel like it's worth something other than simply regaining stamina, and would add a different way to play to the game, especially if used in tandem with the Wrecking Blow rework from above.

2d) Battle Rush: Great idea, terrible way to get to it. In overland it's great, in literally anything else, it's garbage. You're not promised a killing blow, ever, and frankly more often than not you need that Stam recovery a whole lot sooner than after you killed the enemy lol

To that end, I suggest:

- Battle Rush: Critically Striking an enemy with a 2H grants you 30% Stamina Recovery for 10 sec. Can occur once every 15 (or even 20) Seconds.

The entire idea behind these skill reworks is to basically make a player feel like Guts from Berserk.

With that in mind, we keep the current status quo in best respects; DW is faster to attack, retains more variety in what traits, passives, and enchants you can equip at once, whereas 2H is more narrow but more powerful, i.e it's slower to attack, but makes up for it in longevity/sustain. Both Weapon Skill Lines will retain their unique identity, both will be viable for PvE and PvP (albeit a few tweaks to DW, but another thread for another time), and both will make a player actually have to weigh their choices, something a good game is supposed to have, as opposed to one sided "choices" when going on to Endgame Content.
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on January 7, 2019 5:19AM
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited for spelling errors and I added on some extra stuff, particularly at the end.

That's my honest suggestions to any Devs watching on how to make 2H truly viable and competitive with DW.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

I hope you're the ZoS person to tag for this sort of thing, it's been awhile.

EDIT*

Btw, 2H is actually viable for PvE DPS, it just isn't better than DW for the Meta. The changes proposed are just to close the gap and give choices for endgame meta as opposed to "DW DW DW!"
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on January 7, 2019 5:25AM
  • ochsinator
    ochsinator
    ✭✭✭
    Edited for spelling errors and I added on some extra stuff, particularly at the end.

That's my honest suggestions to any Devs watching on how to make 2H truly viable and competitive with DW.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

EDIT*

Btw, 2H is actually viable for PvE DPS, it just isn't better than DW for the Meta. The changes proposed are just to close the gap and give choices for endgame meta as opposed to "DW DW DW!"

Yes please this guy makes sense
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ochsinator wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno

EDIT*

I mean, if you say so
  • ochsinator
    ochsinator
    ✭✭✭
    ochsinator wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno

EDIT*

I mean, if you say so

All 2h needs it’s more sustain and more crit which is easy to make happen. 2h can be just as viable as DW for pve if these changes happen. My biggest dream for eso is to be able to swing around a big ass sword in end game pve and put out as much damage as kids poking people with one handers. Is that not fair?
  • Cage_Lizardman
    Cage_Lizardman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pug vet dlc regularly with a 2h, it's not harder than with meta dw gear. They are perfectly viable for 95% of content, even many of the harder things.

If you buff single target dps on 2h then you're going to have to nerf other things about them, which just ends up making them more similar to dw, which is boring.

The meta nerds are always going to go for the best choice even if the difference is 0.5%, and anything less is always going to be "unviable" to them. The solution to that is ignoring the meta nerds, not buffs or nerfs.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pug vet dlc regularly with a 2h, it's not harder than with meta dw gear. They are perfectly viable for 95% of content, even many of the harder things.

If you buff single target dps on 2h then you're going to have to nerf other things about them, which just ends up making them more similar to dw, which is boring.

The meta nerds are always going to go for the best choice even if the difference is 0.5%, and anything less is always going to be "unviable" to them. The solution to that is ignoring the meta nerds, not buffs or nerfs.

While you're not entirely wrong, 2H is still lacking and would benefit greatly from a rework.

Take note that in my suggestion post I say that DW would need a few tweaks as well but at the end of the day, the two would be much closer to each other while still retaining what makes each of them unique.
  • Rukzadlithau
    Rukzadlithau
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Wrecking Blow morph damage by 30% and make it instant, only logical solution to get this weapon line out of its misery. It really makes sense with the changes to empower too, heck this shud have happened patches ago already. And while they‘re at it Flurry must become worthwhile again, Twin Slashes must be toned down to a mediocre Dot with excellent, supportive sideeffects (add Minor Life steal to Bloodcraze for example), and make it non bleed damage because of PvP, leave bleeds exclusive to Axe passives. Right now Twin Slashes even outperforms other spammables cost/damage wise and pops both enchants without weaving. Brawler should be reworked to a strong AoE Dot with mediocre sideeffects, so people have the choice to get away from Bow backbar in PvE. And the list with logical and easy to make adjustments that would generate build diversity would go on and on, but whatever...
    Edited by Rukzadlithau on January 7, 2019 1:43PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chuckle every time this kind of thread about how 2H supposedly isn't good for PvE surface on this forum. I kill anything faster with my 2H/greatsword build than DW. Oh, I have a DW toon. Sure, just one, though. It's because I like variety, but one DW is enough. The rest of my stam toons are all sporting 2H/greatsword. This is because, to me, it is more viable and damage inflicting than DW. Don't get me wrong, DW works as well. I have one, and I know how to use it. However, anyone claiming 2H isn't viable or good for PvE are extremely wrong, and ignorant is in there somewhere. Alas, to each their own, though.
  • ochsinator
    ochsinator
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    I chuckle every time this kind of thread about how 2H supposedly isn't good for PvE surface on this forum. I kill anything faster with my 2H/greatsword build than DW. Oh, I have a DW toon. Sure, just one, though. It's because I like variety, but one DW is enough. The rest of my stam toons are all sporting 2H/greatsword. This is because, to me, it is more viable and damage inflicting than DW. Don't get me wrong, DW works as well. I have one, and I know how to use it. However, anyone claiming 2H isn't viable or good for PvE are extremely wrong, and ignorant is in there somewhere. Alas, to each their own, though.

I mean sure maybe saying it’s not viable is a bit of an overstatement but anyone saying that 2h puts out dps as high as dw is just wrong. You can’t put out the same amount of dps because of the lack of sustain, crit, and how slow attacks are.

• Grynnyl
    Grynnyl
    ✭✭✭
    How about instead of worrying about making it comparable to DW, we go another direction and try making it competitive with Bow? Make a morph of Wrecking Blow that is decent DoT that can compare with Endless Hail. Increase the DoT of Brawler to be closer Poison Injection(not AS good so the damage shield can remain). The a character could have a 2H AoE bar and a DW single target bar, instead of having to always(normally) reserve a bar for bow to be competitive as DPS.

Another possibility would be a skill that is a single-target version of Endless Hail. Ticks every half second for 10 seconds but sticks with a single target instead of being AoE.

Personally, I got tired of chasing the dragon and switched to 2h/Bow in PvE and am having a blast.

Of course, I am also a Nord nightblade in heavy Bahraha's Curse armor, so my opinion may not mean much...

...For Within the Circle of His Sword, There Is Each Man a King...
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grynnyl wrote: »
    How about instead of worrying about making it comparable to DW, we go another direction and try making it competitive with Bow? Make a morph of Wrecking Blow that is decent DoT that can compare with Endless Hail. Increase the DoT of Brawler to be closer Poison Injection(not AS good so the damage shield can remain). The a character could have a 2H AoE bar and a DW single target bar, instead of having to always(normally) reserve a bar for bow to be competitive as DPS.

Another possibility would be a skill that is a single-target version of Endless Hail. Ticks every half second for 10 seconds but sticks with a single target instead of being AoE.

Personally, I got tired of chasing the dragon and switched to 2h/Bow in PvE and am having a blast.

Of course, I am also a Nord nightblade in heavy Bahraha's Curse armor, so my opinion may not mean much...

Actually that was my idea with Carve, to make it a super powerful melee bleed. Additionally, Bow itself needs a touch of work, not so much buffs but more....literal attention, like "how can we make players stop picking this ONLY for buffs and maybe also a primary weapon, too?"

Reread my draft, Carve would solve that lack of a strong DoT problem real quick, and no, 2H does not need it's own Poison Injection because that is a unique bow skill, it's Bow's execute. We have that in Reverse Slash. What 2H needs is a viable instant cast spammable (so players aren't shoehorned into a Templar with Jabs or a Psijic Skill), better passives that make sense (because the current ones don't really apply to anything good), and then it'll be at that perfect sweet spot.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

I am 110% certain it isn't as high dps for endgame as DW.

I am 110% it's damn near close enough and viable for endgame content.

I am of the mind that 2H is better for most content in the game, i.e 4man content, because it does indeed keep you alive easier while doing close to the same dmg as DW.

My suggestions are less "making 2H OP!" or as meta as DW, just simply closing a long standing gap and making 2H "perfected", as would DW; for instance Blade Cloak should tick every second, not every 3, and it's given buffs should change as well. For it's base form, no buff. For it's morphs, you get a choice between minor resist/ward on one morph, or major brutality on the other. Hidden Blade can just gtfo and become something less clunky and hastily put together.
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on January 8, 2019 5:42AM
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭
    2h is ok. works really well in normal dungeon speed runs.
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already "viable. It's just the meta that throws people off.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already viable. Just not optimal. Unless you are pushing scores two-hander is fine to bring for any content.

And to counter some ideas from this thread
    Single target spammable: has nothing to do with making two-hander better in PvE. Dual-wield does not use its spammable since forever.
    And to the guy who proposed to make Carve as strong as Hail and said Heroism is easy to come by (lolwut?): terrible idea. Bleeds ignore resistances and should never be that strong.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taunky wrote: »
    It's already "viable. It's just the meta that throws people off.

I think it says something that zos’s own in game skill guide never recommends it though.....
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2H is already useful. It doesn't need to be BIS in trials. Buffing it at all will completely break it in PVP.

But the omission of this was obviously intended. I hate this notion that there should be symmetry across classes and skill lines.
    Edited by zyk on January 8, 2019 7:52AM
  • Stratloc
    Stratloc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cleared my first vMA with a 2-Hander. And I love it when soloing dungeons or Craglorn stuff. To me, that's where 2-handers shine. Carve is an invaluable survival tool. Reverse slice is an excellent AoE execute. Rally is good if you don't wanna waste potions and has a nice little HoT included.
    This is from a NB perspective.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2H Light and Heavies need to be readjusted for their respective cast time.

Follow Up needs to have an additional effect.

Un-nerf Forceful.

Heavy Weapons needs to be completely redesigned, Maul is the only noncraptastic weapon, and we know how popular DW maces are.

Wrecking Blow is really good, but falls short due to lost light attacks. This can somewhat be mitigated by buffing LA's base damage.
  • Dillpat
    Dillpat
    ✭✭✭
    using crushing weapon u can use them viably in endgame pve dungeons and all by vDLC trials although if u have a strong rotation and a solid group ofc u can still use it but you wont be doing as much dmg.

to make it better for endgame vDLC however, buff the bleed dmg of carve maybe by a bit (the other morph of cleave that isnt brawler) and swap 2h maul penetration for critical maybe, or carve gives a critical dmg done buff or % that isnt major minor.