Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Next chapter...spellcrafting?

rexagamemnon
rexagamemnon
✭✭✭✭✭
So as the title states, spellcrafting, do you think it will finally be implmented in the game? I know there are previous threads about this subject but they havent been seen in a while, so i am hoping to respark the conversation.
I imagine spellcrafting will be the best way to balance the classes and skill lines. And it will finally put into practice ESO’s biggest advertisment upon launch which was play as you want. Today the class roles , whether they are dps, healer, tank, are all based around the same builds with minor tweaks. To accomplish mag dps you have to run a destro staff, stam dos its always dual wield, healers are stuck with restostaffs and occasionally destro, and tanks are always sword and board and occasionally the back bar being a two hander. Spellcrafting will help to minimize the importance of classes, and help to balance overall across the board. Having custom abilities helps to customize more and add more variation. PVP will certainly be more interesting, players will need to think more analytically as they will no longer be able to just learn and research a class to get around its abilities, players will have to always be on their feet not knowing what their opponent is capable of ability wise. As of now you see what weapon your opponent is wielding and then you take into account their class and then you know what tactics to use. With spell crafting everyone will have customizble spells they can add to their arsenal to throw off their opponent.
Please comment your thoughts, i am anxious to here everyone’s thoughts.
How should it be implemented?
Should it be implemented? If so when?
Stipulations or rules attached you think should be apart of spell crafting?
Let the Devs know
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soon™
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we already have it. The arena weapons that alter the effects of spells.

Therefore I will say we will NEVER get spell crafting; they are pushing gear first as it's easier to promote/advertise/sell content with clear easily grabbed/crafted content each DLC/chapter.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • BoneShatterer
    BoneShatterer
    ✭✭✭
    dont push your luck. the games already a cashgrab mechanic by itself . dont encourage them even more
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poison also ruined PvP for some part. Hopefully they will keep spellcrafting limited to PvE and at least make it cost magicka and not stamina to cast the spell.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next chapter...spellcrafting?
    what-if-i-told-you-no-eta.jpg
    Last I heard of this, Spellcrafting had been put on the back shelf indefinitely.
    I heard vague rumors about a developer who was doing this leaving the team, and everyone else not quite sure if they even wanted to go there anymore... so its still in their plans, somewhat, but they put it on the back burner for re-evaluation, to be decided upon later or something along those lines.

Personally I always thought Spellcrafting sounded nice, but had the potential for -disaster- for an MMO, with everyone ending up running the exact same "super-effective" combination of selfmade spells...

...and would hope that if it ever comes, it would not in the "custom build your active skills" way people daydream about, but... I dunno, maybe as "Scrollcrafting", where you can craft consumable spellscrolls from your active abilities to trade with other classes to use as items?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard of this, Spellcrafting had been put on the back shelf indefinitely.

Rich Lambert has a great canned response for something like this:

“It’s not something we’re actively working on.”
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Poison also ruined PvP for some part. Hopefully they will keep spellcrafting limited to PvE and at least make it cost magicka and not stamina to cast the spell.

Why would you want it limited to magicka based classes? There are already a ton of stamina spells in the game(what do you think Vigor and Rally are as an example) spell doesn't mean magicka spell...it just means spell...call it skillcrafting if that makes more sense in your head.
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should it be a finite thing like poisons you attach to weapons? A weapon replacement? A customizable skill? All I remember about the original concept is something about parchment rubbings. I think...
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely NOT !!!!! They can’t balance combat as it is. This would be abused to no end. If you wanna play as GandalNERD go play Wizards 101
    Edited by jazsper77 on December 24, 2018 5:31PM
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I imagine spellcrafting will be the best way to balance the classes and skill lines.

If by balance you mean everyone will use the exact same skills, then yes. Will that make a fun and engaging game? I think not.

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

Why would you want it limited to magicka based classes? There are already a ton of stamina spells in the game(what do you think Vigor and Rally are as an example) .....

Exactly... a ton.

Already there is a ton of stamina bases spells/skills in the game. For magicka there is only destruction staff for damage skills. The rest is stamina (2 handed, dual wield, 1-handed+shield, bow). Most class skills got their stamina morph already.

No, we don't need more stamina spells/skills. It is magicka loving time. That, or make magicka morphs of the existing weapon skill lines. I would love to have a magical bow.
    Edited by Knootewoot on December 24, 2018 5:56PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point it would upend the entirety of the game.

What would armor sets do? You'd have to make them work around damage types or spell type components. All your time farming them would be wasted, potentially.

What would skills points do? if they just buy you parts of a skill then you'd need a significantly larger pool. This would do more to potentially widen the performance between vets and non-vets (or at a minimum people that only play one character like me and those with tons of alts).

CP system? Probably have to scrap that or engage in another balance nightmare.

Classes? Why, you could effectively make every class the same by recombinating the skills.

The list could go on but it would need an entire alteration of the entire game. Given the fact it took enough changes until summerset before they gave us a skill line that actually affected combat skills, I really doubt they would do it.

This isn't to say I wouldn't love to do this, I just think we are waaaaaay to far in the production game to really have this become a reality.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At this point it would upend the entirety of the game.

What would armor sets do? You'd have to make them work around damage types or spell type components. All your time farming them would be wasted, potentially.

What would skills points do? if they just buy you parts of a skill then you'd need a significantly larger pool. This would do more to potentially widen the performance between vets and non-vets (or at a minimum people that only play one character like me and those with tons of alts).

CP system? Probably have to scrap that or engage in another balance nightmare.

Classes? Why, you could effectively make every class the same by recombinating the skills.

The list could go on but it would need an entire alteration of the entire game. Given the fact it took enough changes until summerset before they gave us a skill line that actually affected combat skills, I really doubt they would do it.

This isn't to say I wouldn't love to do this, I just think we are waaaaaay to far in the production game to really have this become a reality.

I don't really see your point about gear sets. They'd continue working the same way they do now, probably, and maybe some new ones will affect crafted spells specifically?

If the crafted skills cost skill points and the devs intend to keep the current system of being able to buy most skills and passives you might ever need, they'll probably add a bunch, as they do now with every major update.

Imo, the CP system is the balance nightmare by itself here, having a very flawed design. Don't need spell crafting for that. It's currently somewhat contained, at least.

The number of possible spells you can create is finite and I'm sure they're aware they need to keep unique mechanics for each class if they want to keep them (no indication so far that they plan on doing away with them).

Spell crafting has been either in active developtment or on hold for years now, I would be very surprised if they didn't make their design decisions up to this point with it in mind if they still plan on adding it at all, even for ZOS.

I can't quite tell from your post, but are you aware of the spell crafting concepts shown at quakecon 2014? Your concerns don't seem to make that much sense to me in light of it.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Welkynar
    Welkynar
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it will but I really want it
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

Why would you want it limited to magicka based classes? There are already a ton of stamina spells in the game(what do you think Vigor and Rally are as an example) .....

Most class skills got their stamina morph already.

You clearly never played a stamina based character.

• Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a huge stretch, but there could be a clue in the recently posted Creative Director's Letter:
    Creative Director's Letter: That's a Wrap on 2018!
    2019 is almost upon us, and it’s going to be a huge year for The Elder Scrolls Online. I can’t say too much just yet, and it is incredibly difficult to have to hold back details, but ESO will be 5 years old next year - a huge milestone for us and the community! As such, next year’s story and adventure will be something truly special for all Elder Scrolls Online players. We are so excited to be able to share it with you soon, and we can’t wait to see how you all put all the pieces together starting early next year.

If meant as a literal clue, being able to put all the pieces together sounds an awful lot like how they described their Spellcrafting system which they mentioned way back in 2016 at QuakeCon, but then shelved. Like glyph enchanting, spellcrafting entails collecting the various pieces and putting them together to make the custom spell of your choosing.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t know when or even if they would ever add it. Still, it’s something I would like to see. As for how it would work, they’ve probably got something in mind so I’d like to see what they have. I just hope a cool area and new quests are going to go with it. Just adding a spell crafting table, would be slightly less exciting for me.
  • oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will never see it.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t know when or even if they would ever add it. Still, it’s something I would like to see. As for how it would work, they’ve probably got something in mind so I’d like to see what they have. I just hope a cool area and new quests are going to go with it. Just adding a spell crafting table, would be slightly less exciting for me.

If they ever do add it, and it still resembles the old teaser they showed back in '16, it should be pretty immersive. They mentioned many glyphs/runes were fragmented and you would have to run copies of the fragments from multiple locations which sounds like a nice adventure. They're likely to tie the primary crating of Spells to the new area but let you purchase your own station with writs, like Jewelrycrafting with Summerset. Outside of that, I can easily see them hiding at least a few spell fragments in ruins from each of the different DLC regions. Allowing each region to have its own spell fragments would mirror how they each have their own crafted sets.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They’ve already stated that it has officially been scrapped as a concept.
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »

If they ever do add it, and it still resembles the old teaser they showed back in '16, it should be pretty immersive. They mentioned many glyphs/runes were fragmented and you would have to run copies of the fragments from multiple locations which sounds like a nice adventure. They're likely to tie the primary crating of Spells to the new area but let you purchase your own station with writs, like Jewelrycrafting with Summerset. Outside of that, I can easily see them hiding at least a few spell fragments in ruins from each of the different DLC regions. Allowing each region to have its own spell fragments would mirror how they each have their own crafted sets.

Well, then that sounds good. Thanks for the info. I hope it does arrive like that someday.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping performance fixing xD
  • TheHsN
    TheHsN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope not....it will breeak the game play more and more
    Plays:
    Magicka SORC - PvE/PvP
    Stamina NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka Templar - PvE
    Stamina Templar - PvP
    Magicka DK - PvE
    Stamina DK - PvE
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    templesus wrote: »

Can you find a link for that?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not anymore big hopes with ESO, already installed GW2 and hoping to have a good time.
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    after jewelry and all of its flaws, do you really want SPELL CRAFTING?
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xerikten wrote: »

Jewellery have nothing to do with spell crafting.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xerikten wrote: »

Yes
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How should it be implemented?
    Should it be implemented? If so when?
    Stipulations or rules attached you think should be apart of spell crafting?
    - Like they planned and showed us in 2014.
    - Yes. Asap.
    - I think it'd be fine if spell-crafted skills weren't usable in PvP for the first update, and they'd gradually open up skills with every update to be used in PvP. This would allow them to fine-tune the PvP balance easier instead of dropping dozens of skills at once.
    templesus wrote: »
    The last official word on spellcrafting was on their twitter acount in 2017.

The last unofficial news on spellcrafting were new assets added earlier this year in one of the incremental Dragon Bone patches.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/83aau2/datamining_there_appears_to_be_some_new/
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    who needs spellcrafting, u want whole game to use exactly 10 bis spells?

i'd rather have gearcrafting, that will reduce the amount of items for sets, and have something like "Spriggan's set essence" that u go crafting instantly all any 5 pieces. Instead of holding 5 items in ur bank, u store one essence that is obtained by researching the set
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube