The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What factors going into making a trial Group for you?

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually, just looking for players that are above CP 160. Then try to fill roles out. 2 healers, 1 tank, 9 DD. Sometimes 2 tanks 8 DD.

Hopefully enough higher level DD to carry the load of underperforming players. Also hopefully good spread between magic and Stam DD.

Vet trials are a little different. For Craglorn Trials they usually want everyone around or above 25k DPS. For all the other ones, leaders usually want DD to have 40k DPS or so.

I’ve only ever done a handful of leaderboard runs. They’re pretty lame imo. Group composition, player skills, beating on big dummy etc.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    get rid of minor berserk from wardens and nightblades, change my mind
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    It really depends. Even when considering being competitive it still depends on the trial and if it is progression or just a speed run.

For DPS
    The newer mini trials such as vAS and vCR it is ranged DPS. Since stam does not really have a good ranged choice (warden prob being best) and Magicka has had better survival it has been left to three classes as magicka, and one of those does not really count leaving magNB and magSorc.

For pretty much anything else it depends on the group since most of the other trials can handle melee well it is a choice between what is needed. While I have every class both directions I mostly stick to 4 characters. I enjoy stamNB the most but happy to bring stamplar for the buff.

Healing it is only Templar. I have a warden healer but am most comfortable with Templar due to more than 4 years time in the saddle but I do not heal progression anymore.

Tanking is a no brainer. DK or go home though been using my Warden more since Toughness has been locked to that class.

Is there anything you wish was different with group compositions for trials?

Group composition is fine. It is trial design that is lacking with the recent trials. MoL was, and still is, the best trial Zos has designed. It was a noticeable decline with vHoF, especially with such a boring and easy last boss.

Then we gained the two mini trials making it appear Zos has taken an easier rout in designing the premier content for the game. Very lazy boss fight designs in both. Especially how the difference between vet and HM are achieved.

I probably come off bitter, but this is a great game but what I have seen with the decline in the trial design as well as other aspects of the game reminds me of what was the likely reason this game had such a poor launch and imperfect changes made during that first year. It seems everything has changed yet nothing has really changed.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no i think what you perceive as a decline is zos strategically moving away from that content type. Same for pvp. Minimal updates and poor performance suitable only for casual use.

cant really blame them as i imagine they dont make any money and get massive grief.

the new trials seem to be vet/hm mode dlc dungeons.

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    If you gave Major Berserk from Storm Atro to caster with a longer duration(say 12 sec) instead of player synergy for 8 sec., that might help Sorcs become more viable as DDs to break up the monotony.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    First Tank > DK for Engulfing and Minor Brutality
    Second Tank > Warden for Toughness but if group doesn't need it and comfortable without, DK again for better Engulfing uptime.

First Healer > Templar for Power of the Light and Minor Sorcery
    Second Healer > Sorcerer for Conduit and Concussion uptime

All DDs > Nightblade. Either Magicka or Stamina, depending on trial.

There is only one way you can get a Magicka Sorcerer DPS and that's when both healers are not Sorcerer.

This is how trial composition looks like in Murkmire, well pretty much the last 3-4 patches.

I started the thread to get perspective on different type of raiders. Not everyone does things the same.

even lower end and middle of the pack guilds are aspiring and humping the nightblade meta... people think having meta setups will make them clear content easier (which it does in some cases)
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    Second Tank > Warden for Toughness but if group doesn't need it and comfortable without, DK again for better Engulfing uptime.

There is only one way you can get a Magicka Sorcerer DPS and that's when both healers are not Sorcerer.

This is how trial composition looks like in Murkmire, well pretty much the last 3-4 patches.

I started the thread to get perspective on different type of raiders. Not everyone does things the same.

even lower end and middle of the pack guilds are aspiring and humping the nightblade meta... people think having meta setups will make them clear content easier (which it does in some cases)

Yeah this gave me a headache with all different voices I got. In game I got very different replies from people.

I agree competive end game has issues that stem from nightblade being top DPS.

I had one personally blaming all on how scoring is done with to much focus on a DPS burn over other factors.

I explored different class issues like what's wrong with magdks and Stam dks unique group skills. What's up with Sorcs and concussion and off balance. Wardens I had your guys back last patch.

But going on a different point most people I asked didn't really care what group compositions was except Magdks. Sorcs and nightades are still very popular DPS for them.

So in the end I gave separated this into endgame, progression, and score running teams.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭

This is the correct answer. Sorry, I know people don't like to face the truth, but the question of "What is the best trial composition?" is not a matter of opinion. The group Liofa posted is objectively the best setup in the game. It's a serious problem with the design of the game.
    eisley the worst
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    I tank on an Altmer DK so... i dont really care as long as they are good (which most times depends from player skill more than build). I think many "meta" thinking is in the opposite direction as ESO should be.

Can you deal damage on a mag wood elf warden? Are you good and not tends to die possibly blaming other which has "not called" the huge AOE around the boss? (actually happened to me with a "pro" 45k+ player which died in vHR at first boss for his whirlwhind ALL THE TIMES)

All classes can work good in conjunction, the more the merrier if u ask me. Especially if we are talking about a proper group (which can/should wear sets and use skills accordingly).

Examples=

usually a DK tank has to slot engulfing flames= crap for tank/good for group, if we have a magDK we can give another flex spot to the tank

1-2 magplar DD can help with shards etc.

imho most ppl asking for magblade is because of executes, in big HP (vet HM trials) bosses especially that means quite a lot of HP since it's percentage based and do remember that in this phase is when "*** happens" cause boss is pissed off by now so the least it last the better.

Also let's not forget about crit modifier as passive which, at the moment, is a big DPS boost

Being things as is it's the logical thing to ask for NBs in raids (with 6-8 NB execute is going to be a laugh)

I like these posts @Tasear I think they make good questions for the community and that devs could use these answers as hints.