The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Is crafting Worth it?

One_ofMany
One_ofMany
✭✭✭
When I look up class guides and such I mostly see talk about dropped armor/weapons. Do people even use crafted gear outside of..just for looks?
What about food, alchemy and enchanting?

How many trades could I take up before I accidentally nerf my combat abilities?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is worth it.

You can pick up all the crafting on one character and still have a strong PvE/PvP character. There is somewhere over 350 SP in the game. I think one can even swing all crafting and two roles on one character and be fine, if they collected most of the SP.

The game changes often. Currently there are two three crafted sets used in raiding and some more that are used by a number of players in PvP. Julianos, Hundings and NMG are the three common in raiding. Next update it could all change.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The meta changes from patch to patch making crafted gear more and less viable.

It's also really useful should you make alts and want good sets for levelling, lastly you require traits for transmutation and I would guess motifs for transmogrification.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crafted gear is always a strong option for any character.

So yeah definitely worth it to work on.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s always nice to know that you can craft your own gear, and not need it from someone else. Also now with the new re-traiting system in place, having all traits researched is very nice
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lets just say when the "meta" changes yet again, don't decon your old "BiS" sets.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For those pve players who aren't that invested in tweaking that last possible shred of damage/health/magic out of a build, there is no reason to not use crafted gear. For the pvp players or the "absolutely min/max that last .0000001% additional damage is totally worth it" players, maybe not.
    Edited by JKorr on November 15, 2017 12:15PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OTOH now that I have the motif to make my "goblin" a skull headed staff, I am doing many many happy dances..(when I get back from my trip, I will post screenshots).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One_ofMany wrote: »
    When I look up class guides and such I mostly see talk about dropped armor/weapons. Do people even use crafted gear outside of..just for looks?

A high percentage of PvE builds still utilize one of several crafted sets. Julianos for magicka builds, Hunding's Rage or Night Mother's Gaze for stamina builds. Even if you don't think you'll be crafting set armors and weapons, leveling up the crafting lines for the passive skills alone is probably worth it.

Virtually all dropped sets will need to be upgraded, and having the associated passives to reduce the number of tempers needed will save you a ton of money and materials.

The associated "extraction" and "refining" passives are useful for returning the tempers from deconstructed gear and refined raw materials that will be used in crafting or can be sold for a hefty profit.

On the consumable side of things, alchemy and provisioning are the easiest skill lines to level up, and require the least amount of skill point investment. The passives that increase the effective time of consumed food/drinks are definitely worth it even if you rely on others to craft the products for you.

Enchanting is... meh. This skill line is the most labor intensive to level up on your own, though a good partner can speed things up considerably. The passives only benefit you if you intend to actually craft glyphs, and finding someone to craft any glyphs you might need is probably the easiest/cheapest skill to hire out in ESO.

My main character (Mag Sorc) is also my 9-trait, fully decked out crafter. I have never been at a loss for skill points, and have only gotten about 4 or 5 skill points from PvP-related sources. Bottom line, just acquiring skyshards, doing main questlines, public dungeon group events, group dungeon quests, etc has given me plenty of skill points to fully spec out every crafting skill line and still have points to spare for combat abilities.

I would advise you to create your "crafter" now. Whether it's also going to be your primary combat-oriented character or just a dedicated crafter, the sooner you can start leveling up your skill lines and researching item traits now the better!

Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to know is that blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking are based on your char level. IE. A lvl 10 char can craft no higher than lvl 10 gear, regardless of their skill level.

Provisioning, alchemy and enchanting are not based on your level. Ie a lvl 10 enchanter can craft cp 160 glyphs.

In other words, your armour and weapons crafter needs to be someone who gets to CP160 to be of use to you.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to know is that blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking are based on your char level. IE. A lvl 10 char can craft no higher than lvl 10 gear, regardless of their skill level.
    Provisioning, alchemy and enchanting are not based on your level. Ie a lvl 10 enchanter can craft cp 160 glyphs.
    In other words, your armour and weapons crafter needs to be someone who gets to CP160 to be of use to you.
    Unless something has changed since I was first leveling up my main, that is not correct. I always had armor and weapons (that I crafted) waiting when I hit the next level milestone. I would craft them for my next higher level in steps of 10 levels. That way when I hit the next plateau, all I had to do was swap into the new armor and weapon.

The limitation is the inspiration point level of your character in each profession and having the skill points to put into the passives to raise your skill and materials.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not true. Material Levels are the main determining factor in what a Crafter Can make. They do need to have all 10 of the points invested in the material passive to craft top end gear/runes etc. But it possible, unlikely, but possible to have those 30 skill points before you reach L10.

Now, since a qualified crafter is going to need at around 100 skill points just for crafting alone, this does denote a character that has leveled somewhat in order to acquire those skill points. You could probably craft end game gear with less skill points, but that crafter will be limited and probably using a lot more tempers in the process. Well, if you do just gear crafting you could probably get by with 60 to 80 points.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• PhxOldGamer68
    PhxOldGamer68
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting a 5 piece armor set greatly increases your stats. Having a 2nd armor set including weapons makes you even greater.

I still remember having Death's Wind and Ashen Grip as my first 2 sets (minimum 2 traits).

After becoming a Master Crafter in all skills and traits, I created sets for all my new toons to blast through the quests and leveling up faster. As others mentioned, those new sets were usually Hunding's and NIght Mother. Julianos if you have Orsinium DLC. I only needed to create new sets every 10 levels and then hand them down to the next toon.

But once I reached CP160, I switched to purchasing Legendary gear sets from Guild Traders because I didn't have 150 mats for each piece of gear to craft CP160.
    Edited by PhxOldGamer68 on November 15, 2017 11:14PM
    PSN NA/EU: DesertDweller99
    PC NA: KaktusKing
  • One_ofMany
    One_ofMany
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    I guess I'll be crafting it up.
    Finding nodes is a *** though.
    I'm on Xbox so I can't use any map programs.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

This is not true. Material Levels are the main determining factor in what a Crafter Can make. They do need to have all 10 of the points invested in the material passive to craft top end gear/runes etc. But it possible, unlikely, but possible to have those 30 skill points before you reach L10.

Now, since a qualified crafter is going to need at around 100 skill points just for crafting alone, this does denote a character that has leveled somewhat in order to acquire those skill points. You could probably craft end game gear with less skill points, but that crafter will be limited and probably using a lot more tempers in the process. Well, if you do just gear crafting you could probably get by with 60 to 80 points.

I think I might not have explained myself correctly. What I meant is that if you have lvl 50 in clothing, but your char level is only 10, you can only craft upto level 10 gear.

Unless it has changed with the clockwork city update, that is.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I might not have explained myself correctly. What I meant is that if you have lvl 50 in clothing, but your char level is only 10, you can only craft upto level 10 gear.

That is simply not true and to my knowledge never has been...

Darkstar Teva is character level 23 but does top tier writs, meaning she crafts CP150 gear every single night. She's been doing this for at least the past year now, possibly more like 18 months since I decided to make her a bank character and not continue leveling her.
    Edited by Tevalaur on November 16, 2017 2:14PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is one of the crown gems of ESO, and the set bonuses are awesome.

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Pretty sure the only part that works that way is the level of the mats that character can find. The mats you find are 50/50 based on the skill and character level. I can double check later. The only restriction I ever noticed was not being able to make a set of gear because I hadn't done enough trait research on that character yet.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best parts of crafting is being able to customize how your character looks ... while still maintaining a high level of combat effectiveness through set bonuses.

For example, I made a full set of Telvanni armor (less helm) for my lowbie Stam Warden, pictured below ... and picked up some Cyrodiil pieces to help out with set bonuses:

Mechanical Acuity set x5 (Telvanni style; crafted): Chest, Shoulders, Legs, Arms, Feet

Ravager set x5 (Ebony style; purchased in Cyrodiil): 2H Greatsword (front bar), 1H Mace (back bar, not pictured), Helm (not pictured), Necklace, Ring, Ring

Night’s Silence set x2: Belt (Telvanni style; crafted), Shield (Silken Ring style; crafted, not pictured)

This way I’m able to maximize set bonuses for combat due to my characters’ collective crafting knowledge.

G6XFk2P.jpg
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a veteran crafter (As an xbox player, I set out on a day-1 mission to make myself one of the game's best crafters and went at it hard for half the game's life before finally giving up the endless gold debt for motifs), crafting has never been less relevant. Every time the game gets a new content patch since One Tamriel, dropped sets continuously reduce the number of people that want a crafted set. I used to make hundreds of sets of Hunding's Rage every few months, and quite often making Julianos and Twice-Born Star, and now I'll see maybe one person asking for a crafter in zone chat per week. There is no way to craft a different appearance for these sets, which is inexcusable for how long this game has been out.

Transmutation is nice, but you don't need any motifs or X number of traits researched to do it. You just need to research divines (or impen if you're a PVPer) on all of the armor pieces, and precise or sharpened on all of your weapons, and that's it. Practically no investment at all.

Furniture isn't even worth learning, because everyone that has a house just decorates almost entirely with achievement/luxury items anyway, because Zenimax made those items so much more beautiful/high-quality, such as glow-bushes, coldharbour lights, glowing crystals, etc.

As someone that used to be one of Xbox's biggest crafting names for almost two years, I'm very sad for the state Zenimax has put us crafters in.

Previously, a good set combination on sorcerers used to be 5 piece Julianos and 3 piece whatever else gave magicka-based bonuses with a 2 piece monster set. Now, the meta for a sorcerer is 5 piece Necromancer (even after the nerf), a monster set, and the rest Moondancer. There's 0 crafted sets in there now.

Currently the meta for magicka DKs is Silks of the Sun and Burning Spellweave, with maybe Julianos replacing one of those. That's one of the few examples of a crafted set maybe still being useful.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on November 16, 2017 7:24PM
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Pretty sure the only part that works that way is the level of the mats that character can find. The mats you find are 50/50 based on the skill and character level. I can double check later. The only restriction I ever noticed was not being able to make a set of gear because I hadn't done enough trait research on that character yet.

You know, I went and tested this, and you are absolutely right. I stand corrected ;).
  • One_ofMany
    One_ofMany
    ✭✭✭
    What about this furniture stuff? Does that need styles? Can it be done on separate characters..or?
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭

Yes youll want some decent gear to farm that dropped set, also refining raw material has greater chance for tempers/tannings/rosins which you can use to up to gold or even sell.

New character? Purple grade level gear at start awesome. Need coin? Offer services. It has benifits. Pre 160 farm is annoying and gear gets spaced out in level. And if you bind it yoi have to upgrade it which also costs less if you can craft well. Or dont equip it and trusr a player to upgrade for you and return.
    Oh those dungeon and trial drops are bound on equip, only tradeable with party members for two hrs.
  • vienna
    vienna
    ✭✭
    It's a bit older thread but I assume the topic is still relevant. I can make some cp 160* sets, but I don't consider crafting worth the effort in this game at all. It's nice that you are able to make your alts equipment, but besides that it's useless too me. Purple sets are in this game so cheap, that you can surely afford it, gold stuff usually cost more to buy mats and make it, as to buy directly maded sets. Almost everything is cheaper too buy directly maded as to make it if you don't have the mats.
    Edited by vienna on November 8, 2018 12:48PM