Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Faction Identity is gone.

• Elentari
    Elentari
    ✭✭✭
    We're adventurers! Did you really expect us all to stay in our homelands. I'm a wood elf who married a nord, we spend our time in Ebonheart, I don’t see what's so wrong about that.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't get with the whole Alliance thing is...Tamriel is on the verge of being pulled into OBLIVION for crying out loud, by one of the worse Princes. Yet everyone is more concerned with their petty fighting to fill the throne?

You'd THINK these armies could pull together to wipe out the threat to ALL of them, then worry about who would take the title of Emperor. After all, what good does all that do when you, your allies, you enemies, and everyone else ends up imprisoned for eternity by a giant *** of a Daedra?

So I'm not nearly as bothered by X race fighting for Y group as I am by the fact that no one seems to be bothered to put aside their differences for the sake of everyone. What I'm also saying is the faction-lock is ridiculous for this reason; factions shouldn't EXIST when a giant horned demon-deity is trying to drag your home into a hellish plane.

EDIT: Apparently the common term for "feminine wash" is censored, which strikes me as very amusing for reasons I don't understand. I guess I'll just refer to Molag Bal as Summer's Eve from now on instead n_n.

EDIT2: And by some random miracle it's NOT censored now...freaking Sheogorath at work, methinks.
    Edited by Arunei on April 6, 2014 12:10PM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Incarnatus
    Incarnatus
    ✭✭✭
    I myself play true to my race. I rolled a Dunmer on the DC side. I will do what I want when I want and be as manipulative and deceitful in pursuing my ends so long as it suits me ....
  • Satriel
    Satriel
    Someone already pointed out that you we are all the same hero. Basically the story is each individuals story and everyone else doesn't really exist. It's the same as two different people playing skyrim. Your hero isn't my hero. The factions are for pvp and thus don't really break lore because in your questline only you exist as the vestige. Or do you really think lore supports something like thousands of jedi knights being the one to kill the emperor in swtor? Only one emperor to kill but every player is the only hero in their storyline so it works. No different here. Besides there are plenty of other things that destroy immersion that are the solely the blame of players in chat but no one seems up in arms over that. Ultimately we're here to have fun which means playing however you want. I sincerely hope you can get past this op and enjoy the game, since I don't see an immediate fix in your future. Nor do I really see a need for one.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will balance out more over time.

But as @Satriel said, the immersion is shattered just from the mere fact that other players are running around fighting the same things you are but somehow in their own unique story that is just as unique as yours but . . . identical. Only you can save us! Oh, except everyone else. Also, the enemy you just killed will respawn for thousands of other heroes. Thousands of heroes that in any sane world would create their own faction and rule the world, because apparently they are better at absolutely everything than the average member of the current factions.

Is this a problem? No. Every MMO is like this. The immersion is with you and your character, not you and everyone else's character. Factions are purely for PvP and, to a much lesser extent, roleplayers. Everything else is a solo story.

And again, this is true of all MMOs. It is not unique to ESO.
  • redwoodtreesprite
    redwoodtreesprite
    ✭✭✭
    It has always been this way in Elder Scrolls games. Difference sometimes being how NPCs treated you. In Morrowind for example, dark elves were quite rude to some races until you got your faction up with them if they were in one of the guilds, or you used persuasion, or did a lot of business transactions with them.

It is totally proper lore the way ESO is doing it.