Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Faction Identity is gone.

KalelAls
KalelAls
✭✭
Hello, i place my Thread here because i cant find a Feedback or General Discussion Forum right here (why??).
I was realy sad when i heard that all preorders can create any Race in any Faction. After that i hoped that there would be not that much "Outsiders" to save the Faction Identity. But now im realy sad to see Days After Headstart that the Faction Identity is completly lost. Im playing for the Daggerfall Covenant and 50% of all Players are High Elves and Kaijit. That breaks all Lore.
Its ok that some other Races joining a different Faction but thats definitly TO MUCH!
Daggerfall Covenant belongs to the Bretons,Orks and Redguards, not half breton,ork,redguard half Highelves.
I dont know if its possible to solve this Problem. I just can hope that afer the new Players that dont preordered the Game join and cant create any Race in any Faction that the Faction will become more Natives....
How u feel about this guys?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, with being able to communicate between factions and being in guilds via account (regardless of faction) it was pretty thin to begin with. But you're right it's completely out the window with the preorder perk heh
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it really mattere? The races are spread all over tamriel. Take Orcs for example, they dont have a real homeland but instead live all throughout skyrim in their enclaves. You could assume these players families were in these faction zones prior to the alliance.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plus it's true to the elder scrolls games, being able to play whatever you want. The whole faction thing is just a contrivance for PVP (which not everyone is here for).
  • KalelAls
    KalelAls
    ✭✭
    I already said it but i do it again, i understand that we have some "Outsiders" in our factions, thats normal in Elder Scrolls. but to much is not good, . That breaks all immersion. Im staying in Daggerfall City and 50% of all players around are High elves or Kaijit and only 15% of them are Bretons or Orks, thats cant be serious.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    This one thinks not every Khajiit likes what the Dominion stands for...
  • KalelAls
    KalelAls
    ✭✭
    psychounz wrote: »
    This one thinks not every Khajiit likes what the Dominion stands for...

yes not EVERY Kaijit, but im feeling like the whole Kaijit or elve race flood the other factions...

• Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    The Ebonheart Pact stands proud with seemingly little traitorous races joining our ranks!
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • immari1941
    Well.. The game is about choosing your own path & building a character YOU would like with MMO capabilities. I don't mind seeing other races in the Aldmeri Dominion and I'm not sure where these statistics of "50% of players are High Elves or Khajiit" in the Daggerfall Covenant come from but maybe you could come up with some hypothetical scenario to explain the amount of high elves you see? Maybe if you convinced yourself these were rebel high elves or something until Zenimax decides whether to fix it or not.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also keep in mind all you're seeing right now is preorders - those with the perk. If the game explodes tomorrow you'll start to see the races you're "supposed" to see in each faction.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    Lore 0, Gameplay 1.

It makes a joke of the factions but is very handy for gameplay. I do not feel they could have made the right decision here. Either way it creates huge problems.
    Edited by Pretext on April 3, 2014 4:12PM
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Also keep in mind all you're seeing right now is preorders - those with the perk. If the game explodes tomorrow you'll start to see the races you're "supposed" to see in each faction.

Right. If the game succeeds and there are new subs post launch, the cross faction "Explorer Pack" characters will be diluted over time.
  • murpf
    murpf

i cant imagine that many people would not pre order for the bonuses, and wait till day of release. i dont think there will be a large amount of players with out it tomorrow.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    murpf wrote: »
    i cant imagine that many people would not pre order for the bonuses, and wait till day of release. i dont think there will be a large amount of players with out it tomorrow.

I did say 'begin' not that tomorrow was the max population for the game :P
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the game does not explode over the next couple days, over time as new players enter the game with the faction restriction, those of us who created (and can create) Imperials and "any faction and race" characters will start to stand out.

If the game goes to 10 years, these pre-order perks will likely be a badge of honor for those still playing.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a lore loss - it's a lore gain. In any given TES game, you see all races represented in the NPC base.

Granted, not in the numbers we see. But there is no good lore reason to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Traitors/defectors happen all the time. If anything, the influx of people from AD factions probably has more to do with the rather evil light the AD was painted with in Skyrim than anything else.
    Edited by Mulk on April 3, 2014 4:24PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    KalelAls wrote: »
    Hello, i place my Thread here because i cant find a Feedback or General Discussion Forum right here (why??).
    I was realy sad when i heard that all preorders can create any Race in any Faction. After that i hoped that there would be not that much "Outsiders" to save the Faction Identity. But now im realy sad to see Days After Headstart that the Faction Identity is completly lost. Im playing for the Daggerfall Covenant and 50% of all Players are High Elves and Kaijit. That breaks all Lore.
    Its ok that some other Races joining a different Faction but thats definitly TO MUCH!
    Daggerfall Covenant belongs to the Bretons,Orks and Redguards, not half breton,ork,redguard half Highelves.
    I dont know if its possible to solve this Problem. I just can hope that afer the new Players that dont preordered the Game join and cant create any Race in any Faction that the Faction will become more Natives....
    How u feel about this guys?

Made up statistics to aid your argument invalidates it.

The only places Ive ran into other Races not inherent to the Faction is in Cities and its a significantly lower number then those playing the core Faction races. And I would put money on them being RPers. The Factions are still filled to the brim with NPCs that are Faction Specific...Tons of NPCs you cant even interact with to make the world still appear to be alive even if you were the only person on the Server.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just questing alone I have run into several Orcs. One was a Daggerfall Covenant defector who fled with her husband, and another was an entire clan of Orcs that I helped sort out their problems.

I also ran into a tribe of Argonian refugees, and this is what I like about the Explorer's pack...it sort of backs up these NPC narratives.
  • khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    I think this is an exaggeration. Many of us are playing the races in their own factions. I've seen far more players who are the "correct" races in each faction than those who aren't. As other have said, of course, anybody playing now can join any faction. People who buy the game from tomorrow won't get that option.

And as far as lore, you say seeing too many of any non-faction race breaks it? In Skyrim there are Orc enclaves, Argonian and Dunmer slums, Khajiit merchants, and Breton redoubts. Even in Morrowind, there was a lot of racial diversity. All TES games have let you pick your races regardless of what the setting is. And all factions in the games — even the Stormcloaks and the Dunmer Great Houses — let any race join them. I don't think it breaks the lore at all. The NPCs are overwhelmingly alliance specific. I don't see why it's a bad thing if the players are more varied... *shrug*
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • Strakand
    Strakand
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the game does not explode over the next couple days, over time as new players enter the game with the faction restriction, those of us who created (and can create) Imperials and "any faction and race" characters will start to stand out.

If the game goes to 10 years, these pre-order perks will likely be a badge of honor for those still playing.

THIS^^

Remember we are in early access right now where everyone playing can play any race or any faction. Starting with the hard launch we will see a huge change.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    There will probably also be a lot of people who will stop playing after a certain amount of time and a portion of these could be these defecting faction characters.
  • hamletsbatb14_ESO
    hamletsbatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just look at my EP Khajiit as coming from a merchant caravan. And I don't care about what race is where...as long as you buy my stuff. :)
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    KalelAls wrote: »
    That breaks all Lore.

Yes, because when you play Skyrim the only race in Skyrim is Nords.
    Yes, because when you play Morrowind, all you see is the Dunmer.
    Yes, because when you play Oblivion, all you see is Imperials.

TES is built on the back of a living, breathing world. Khajiit show up in Skyrim to trade, Argonians chill in Vvardenfel.. well.. mostly as slaves. Orcs show up everywhere, cause they're homeless.

The factions only really exist to serve as a reason for PVP. There should never have been such a thing as faction identity.

Welcome to a living world, there's a ton of immigrants.

• Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day we're all gonna be wearing helmets/armour.
    Nobody gonna know.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'll go roll a Dominion Argonian and call him Breaks-All-Lore...
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well everyone in DaggerFall wearing Khajiit heavy armor is immersion breaking too.

I would not worry about it too much until a year or so out... It will slowly move back into the traditional factions.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    khai wrote: »
    Maybe I'll go roll a Dominion Argonian and call him Breaks-All-Lore...

Please do :D

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was upset about this too until I started seeing npcs of other races in each faction, then I remembered that elder scrolls games have always been about racial diversity.

In skyrim there were nords fighting for the empire, this really isnt any different.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • dnotecmb16_ESO
    AD is mainly the faction races, I guess those who want to play DC just don't like the races on offer :)
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    AD is mainly the faction races, I guess those who want to play DC just don't like the races on offer :)

I have seen more AD races on AD than any other...

...for the OP...

I like AD, I also like Dunmer. But I still chose to stick with the factions races to their select faction. You can do the same.

The main thing is, we have choice. Lots of them, and really...this is a good thing.

Asira Avalis - Mage
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Plus it's true to the elder scrolls games, being able to play whatever you want. The whole faction thing is just a contrivance for PVP (which not everyone is here for).

^ This ^

I have no interest in PvP, but I do like playing my high elves and khajiits, and having this freedom allows me to play the races I like in whatever area I like. Indeed, the faction limit was putting me off quite a bit. When pre-order came with the option to play any race in any faction, I bought it right away.

Edited by AlienSlof on April 3, 2014 6:39PM
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady