Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Faction Identity is gone.

• psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I have no interest in PvP, but I do like playing my high elves and khajiits, and having this freedom allows me to play the races I like in whatever area I like. Indeed, the faction limit was putting me off quite a bit. When pre-order came with the option to play any race in any faction, I bought it right away.

That's what happened to me, initially; I was upset about the faction limits which is also why I purchased the pre-order XD
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    AD still has our faction identity... FOR THE QUEEN!
  • Abusabus
    Abusabus
    Even if the game does not explode over the next couple days, over time as new players enter the game with the faction restriction, those of us who created (and can create) Imperials and "any faction and race" characters will start to stand out.

If the game goes to 10 years, these pre-order perks will likely be a badge of honor for those still playing.

You gotta be lying to yourself if you think they aren't going to open this up for purchase on their store. There is no way it's going to stay a preorder only perk.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    KalelAls wrote: »
    Hello, i place my Thread here because i cant find a Feedback or General Discussion Forum right here (why??).
    I was realy sad when i heard that all preorders can create any Race in any Faction. After that i hoped that there would be not that much "Outsiders" to save the Faction Identity. But now im realy sad to see Days After Headstart that the Faction Identity is completly lost. Im playing for the Daggerfall Covenant and 50% of all Players are High Elves and Kaijit. That breaks all Lore.
    Its ok that some other Races joining a different Faction but thats definitly TO MUCH!
    Daggerfall Covenant belongs to the Bretons,Orks and Redguards, not half breton,ork,redguard half Highelves.
    I dont know if its possible to solve this Problem. I just can hope that afer the new Players that dont preordered the Game join and cant create any Race in any Faction that the Faction will become more Natives....
    How u feel about this guys?

I think it would have been a reason for many people not to buy the game at all if they hadn't done something about it, me being one of them. I wasn't going to buy or play the game until they made it more open.

I disagree that it "breaks" lore, I have played every elder scrolls game, while they may not have gotten along, there was rarely a species specific area in any of the games, they all mixed pretty freely.

What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    At the end of the day we're all gonna be wearing helmets/armour.
    Nobody gonna know.

Well the tails might be a bit of a give away, lol.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Factions were strange to me anyway seeing it's never been a part of TES games thus far, nor was it truly seen in ESO with vendors from all factions in most cities. It's not too difficult to fathom that any race can uphold the principles of said faction. Factions to me wasn't about races as it was hyped up to be. It was, and still is about what they stand for.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if its possible to solve this Problem. I just can hope that afer the new Players that dont preordered the Game join and cant create any Race in any Faction that the Faction will become more Natives....

To me, the problem is that factions even exist in the first place. It should be solely a PVP aspect of the game that when you queue up for the PVP province you choose a campaign and alliance to fight for.

Three factions means you have but 1/3 of the player base to PVE with, the only redeeming factor being that a large percent of the population will be able to join any faction with any race.

In other words, I would be fine if no one but imperials could join any faction if players from any faction could PVE together. However, since they can not, at least when my buddy wants to be an elf and I want to be a Breton we have the option of joining the same faction.
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the game does not explode over the next couple days, over time as new players enter the game with the faction restriction, those of us who created (and can create) Imperials and "any faction and race" characters will start to stand out.

If the game goes to 10 years, these pre-order perks will likely be a badge of honor for those still playing.

right.... until you can buy this as a perk from the store for the modest some of xx$. I'm also worried about too much crossing into other factions, but ironically i pre-ordered JUST for that reason. So I could play with my husband who wants a khajiit (I made an argonian).

I also saw lots of great roleplay potential in being the traitor/defector but obviously that only works if there aren`t thousands others doing the same thing

reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    Strakand wrote: »

THIS^^

Remember we are in early access right now where everyone playing can play any race or any faction. Starting with the hard launch we will see a huge change.

i think you`re naive if you think they won`t use this as a selling perk on the game store...
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • Guizan
    Guizan
    ✭✭✭
    Well I created 5 characters this far, all of them in AD, One Altmer, one Bosmer, one Kajit, one Imperial and one Breton. I might create a Dunmer as well in AD. but have not decided yet.

• Mansome
    Mansome
    ✭✭✭
    Just get over it, seriously not everyone is here for pvp. Furthermore this will be completely balanced out once the game goes live and we have more players. If anything you should want this because due to the racial abilities its going to cause an imbalance of what builds make Tanks/Healers/DPS on which factions. Some factions will have a massive shortage of Tanks and Healers.
  • shallan
    shallan
    Soul Shriven
    i chose my race for the racial bonuses and my faction for the cool volcanoes and living gods. Role playing should be kept where it belongs: in the bedroom
  • Shiva
    Shiva
    I would be okay with having your first character that you create be any race in any Alliance for pre-ordering - despite the nuclear bomb like effect it has on the Lore.

And as for it sticking to Elder Scrolls games? Wrong. You could be any race you wanted but your Alliance faction was set by the Lore. You were not a Breton member of Aldmeri Dominion. So that argument is spurious at best.

The only reason for it is for PvP and to allow people to play the race that they want to with their guild or friends. But it also takes out the idea of who is on what side. As and AD Wood Elf I expect to SHOOT THE BRETON... but wait... that is an AD Breton...

As for guilds crossing political boundaries I can buy that. After all the Undaunted, Fighter and Mage guilds (Thieves guild as well... not sure if its in game though) are all politically neutral and are groups with a non-political purpose. Politics are the matters for Kings and Queens and we are the soldiers that pursue those political favors that can be bestowed if we do extraordinary things for our ruler. So that argument doesn't hold water either.

But yes, the Lore is diminished by allowing any race in any Alliance. The real question for me is, was the price of sacrificing the lore for game play and player convenience worth it?

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, i place my Thread here because i cant find a Feedback or General Discussion Forum right here (why??).
    I was realy sad when i heard that all preorders can create any Race in any Faction. After that i hoped that there would be not that much "Outsiders" to save the Faction Identity. But now im realy sad to see Days After Headstart that the Faction Identity is completly lost. Im playing for the Daggerfall Covenant and 50% of all Players are High Elves and Kaijit. That breaks all Lore.
    Its ok that some other Races joining a different Faction but thats definitly TO MUCH!
    Daggerfall Covenant belongs to the Bretons,Orks and Redguards, not half breton,ork,redguard half Highelves.
    It's a temporary problem. Only people who pre-ordered are able to start in any alliance. Going forward, new players will have to start in their own faction, and with the races in that faction.

So just be patient. It only seems like a problem now because we are still launching.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    That being said, I am actually surprised that I have no desire at all to play Elfs anymore. That used to be my preferred race, but in ESO all I want to play are human races.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure there will be guilds where you can only be (enter faction) to join.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • Vodka
    Vodka
    ✭✭✭
    Cross Faction Race - F**ked up

Allowed in 5 Guilds - F**ked up

UserID over In game name in Guild Chat - F**ked up

Imperial Exclusive Race for Imperial Edition only on a Pay Monthly Game - F**ked up (but i still got imperial edition)

This is my opinion I don't know if anyone else agrees to this
    | Calling all Aldmeri Dominion | Agents of the Dominion | Recruiting All AD |
    | Add @Morckie in Game | Discord: https://discord.gg/MhrDxqe |
  • yeazelb
    yeazelb
    those people who are betraying their factions are just getting ready for the empire to be made whole again before the gates of oblivion open upon them
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, as is the case with the story in most MMO's there is only one "Hero", technically we are all just multiple copies of that hero.

How familiar are you with other TES games? The races have always been spread out over Nirn.
  • t.steve1991ub17_ESO
    I never understood the importance of race locking factions. I just think of it as "there are three political leaders and you have to fight for one of them." You sound like a nord in skyrim complaining that there are too many weak magic using elf people around lol
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    When I heard pre-orders were going to get the any-race / anywhere perk, I thought it was terrible too. But honestly when you think about it, the story quests sort of focus on how shaky some of these "alliances" are. Orcs are alligned with Bretons, who are constant enemies. Red Guard Pirates are sometimes pillaging Breton villages. Nords and Dunmer fighting side by side, While history points out that the Nords used to raid (and once conquered) Morrowind. Argonians have no connection at all with the Nords, and the Dunmer would often travel into the Black Marsh to enslave the Argonians. So honestly, these uneasy tensions would make exodus to other factions all the more plausible.
  • KalelAls
    KalelAls
    ✭✭
    That breaks all Lore.

Yes, because when you play Skyrim the only race in Skyrim is Nords.
    Yes, because when you play Morrowind, all you see is the Dunmer.
    Yes, because when you play Oblivion, all you see is Imperials.

TES is built on the back of a living, breathing world. Khajiit show up in Skyrim to trade, Argonians chill in Vvardenfel.. well.. mostly as slaves. Orcs show up everywhere, cause they're homeless.

The factions only really exist to serve as a reason for PVP. There should never have been such a thing as faction identity.

Welcome to a living world, there's a ton of immigrants.

Common, is this Post for sure?
    Tell me please why u post that *** and why u dont read my starting post?
    I said i understand mixed Races in the Factions, but in my Faction is it to much , i see more Elves and Kaijit then Orks or Bretons some times.
    It would feel crazy to when in the Aldmeri Dominion are 50% only Nords, or not?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wars always have people from opposition working on their side. Open a history book.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Wars always have people from opposition working on their side. Open a history book.

Not the majority though. So there were not more Germans in the UK than Britons during the world wars. :)

It is a matter of proportion, as long as the majority is of the correct 3 races I think it is fine.

I don't agree about helmets, I think most players do not wear them, so you will see faces.

For that matter crafting in another races style should be hard, lets keep races unique, not mix and match like a set of dolls.

Edited by Pretext on April 5, 2014 9:46AM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that as time goes on, you'll see much lower concentrations of beta/pre-order people running about with monkeys and cross-faction characters.

That said, Tamriel has large proportions of every race in every region. Morrowind was full of argonians, orcs, and nords, though it's the dark elf homeland. People _generally_ don't just up and move from their homeland just because there's a war on, and one need not be of a particular ethnicity in order to call a place one's homeland.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 5, 2014 9:55AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well in AD we have some of the other races but not much more than the percentage of npc of other races.
    One thing they should have done would be to hide the play race out of faction a bit better. If you preorder but is causal and don't know much about game or lore its easy to pick faction pretty much on random. Simply having an unlock checkbox would be enough.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    khai wrote: »

And as far as lore, you say seeing too many of any non-faction race breaks it? In Skyrim there are Orc enclaves, Argonian and Dunmer slums, Khajiit merchants, and Breton redoubts. Even in Morrowind, there was a lot of racial diversity. All TES games have let you pick your races regardless of what the setting is. And all factions in the games — even the Stormcloaks and the Dunmer Great Houses — let any race join them. I don't think it breaks the lore at all. The NPCs are overwhelmingly alliance specific. I don't see why it's a bad thing if the players are more varied... *shrug*

Because a small portion of rp'ers believe that everyone but them plays wrong. If there was never a restriction pre-order or not, it'd be a case of who does it really hurt. The answer is no one as others have mentioned those who want a story for it can easily come up with it. Restricting races only hurts those that would want a racial benefit and to be in a different faction to play with friends. Once again this is a case of rp'ers complaining about something and trying to hurt the majority.
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand your point. I personally don't really care about wich races play were and I think that this will stabilize wiht more players who didn't preorder.

For me fractions are more a choice of ideology, than of race.

Especially for DC, it its very lore friendly for everyone who doesn't feel at home in their home fraction to go there. You wouldn't really want to join Ad if it's not your native fraction and you're not an elve. So everyone from EP who doesn't agree with EPs goals would propably rather join DC. Also, members from AD don't really have reasons to join EP, because EP races just got together trying to save their own skin (so what would you do there?) and now have no better arguments for why they should rule than AD. DC in the meantime wants to reestablish trade and the empire. They have much less racial pride than AD and goals that any race could have reasons to follow. So it is lore friendly for any traitor character to go there. There is much more reason in this than for example joining AD as a nord.

So fraction pride for me comes with fighting for the reasons your fraction fights for. Not really with being the correct race for your fraction (maybe this is difficult in some cases like with a human character in AD, but if you have a good reason, go for it)
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i am extremely proud of being ebonheart. I actually find MOST of the people I see are of my faction. I think it really made no sense that NO race could choose another faction that is far and beyond stupid and not elder scrolls (you mean to tell me NO argonians left the ebonheart after being enslaved for so long? that is absurd) I think the way they did this is perfect. In a years time there will only be a few of us that are actually able to switch factions and the people that trickle in will not have the ability to do so and it will even out.
  • Myrdreth
    Myrdreth
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone should be able to play however they want.

A race in another alliance could be interesting for roleplaying too. Maybe they didn't agree with their own alliance? For example: when I see a Khajiit in Daggerfall I want to know what happened to him, what's his past...is he just a free traveller, a merchant or did he purposely come here to change/join alliance because he didn't agree with the other Khajiits/with their alliance?

But I don't really need to know! I just like to think about it, use my imagination - Et voilà! It's lore-friendly for me!

You can make everything lore friendly if you want...just use your imagination.
    ~ ♥ ~