The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do you guys think!? [Dead Sets]

regime211
regime211
✭✭✭✭✭
Some sets have become completely useless? I wanted to make this thread fo the community tothrow down sets you believe have always been useless, and or useless after a nerf?
Edited by regime211 on November 2, 2018 12:53PM
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Lord_Wrath on October 31, 2018 10:18PM
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At the risk of inviting "you moron, that set is awesome" posts, here is my personal list of scrap. This is driven primarily by inventory control and lack of use. While some sets may be useful, I believe there is another set that outperforms it, that's why it made the list.

Affliction
    Arch Mage
    Armor Master
    Baharaha’s Curse
    Bark Skin
    Buffer of the Swift
    Combat Physician
    Crest of Cyrodiil
    Crusader
    Deadly Strike
    Defiler
    Destruction Mastery
    Draugr’s Rest
    Dreamers
    Dreugh King Slayer
    Embershield
    Essence Thief
    Eternal Warrior
    Footman
    Glorious Defender
    Grace of the Ancients
    Hanu’s Compassion
    Hatchlings Shell
    Haven of Ursus
    Healer’s Habit
    Hunt Leader
    Ice Furnace
    Immortal Warrior
    Inventor’s Guard
    Invigoration
    Jolting Arms
    Juggernaut
    Knight Errant Mail
    Knightmare
    Light Speaker
    Lunar Bastion
    Mad Tinkerer
    Medusa
    Morihaus
    Netch Touch
    Nikulas’ Heavy Armor
    Noble Duelist
    Oblivion’s Edge
    Order of Diagna
    Orgnum’s Scales
    Overwhelming Surge
    Pelinal’s Aptitude
    Prayer Shawl
    Quick Serpent
    Ranger’s Gait
    Rattlecage
    Red Mountain
    Robes of the Necromancer
    Scathing Mage
    Sergeant’s Mail
    Sentry
    Shalk Exoskleton
    Spelunker
    Spider Cultist
    Storm Knight
    Storm Master
    Stygian
    Svarra’s Scales
    Sword Dancer
    Sword Singer
    Syrabane’s Grip
    Toothrow
    Tormentor
    Treasure Hunter
    Trinimac’s Valor
    Truth
    Twin Sisters
    Undaunted Bastion
    Undaunted Infiltrator
    Unfathomable Darkness
    Vampire Cloak
    Vampire Lord
    Vanguard
    Vanus
    Warlock
    Warrior Poet
    Way of Fire
    Way of the Air
    Wise Mage
    Witchman
    Withered Hand
    Wrath of the Imperium
    Ysgramor’s Birthright

Edited by El_Borracho on October 31, 2018 10:28PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    regime211 wrote: »
    Some sets have become completely useless? I wanted to make this thread to throw down sets you believe have always been useless, and or useless after a nerf?

Ever since launch there were only really 2 or 3 useable sets. The above list is why people have storage problems. They keep them all thinking they will be meta one day and they just wont be.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @DMuehlhausen My exact feelings. I play on PS4 so that's why I keep a running list. No add-ons on console. Its so easy to accumulate stuff thinking "one day, this will be great" when it will never be great. Other stuff looks awesome on paper (like Essence Thief), but after researching it, its just not.

The reality is that if any of this becomes meta, you can always go back and farm it. No need to clutter your inventory with it, just in case.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tava's the most obviously useless set after this update. Needs a complete rework now.

Off the top of my head: crusader, dune ripper, oblivion's foe, barkskin, spelunker, light speaker, hircine visage, warlock, magicka furnace, undaunted unweaver, jolting arms, storm master, medusa, noble duelest, immortal yokeda, automated defense, galenwe, spider cult

More. There are so many bad / dead sets now.
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys think!?
    Not if I can avoid it.
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DMuehlhausen My exact feelings. I play on PS4 so that's why I keep a running list. No add-ons on console. Its so easy to accumulate stuff thinking "one day, this will be great" when it will never be great. Other stuff looks awesome on paper (like Essence Thief), but after researching it, its just not.

The reality is that if any of this becomes meta, you can always go back and farm it. No need to clutter your inventory with it, just in case.

I thought I was the ONLY one thinking that one day zos may go back and look at old sets abs actually make some predefined changes to then, even if they have recieve a nerf, I believe zos nerfs certain sets to the point they become useless, and if that's the case I know it's more work on them but they should just replace those sets or take them completely out of the game.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @El_Borracho I think the only set in your list I personally disagree with is Knight-Errant mail.

That's an awesome set for tanking pugs. It heals and increases the tanks damage. My sorc tank gets almost 20k dps which at times is more than 50% of a pug's group dps.

I would be bad if you only run with good players though.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    @El_Borracho I think the only set in your list I personally disagree with is Knight-Errant mail.

That's an awesome set for tanking pugs. It heals and increases the tanks damage. My sorc tank gets almost 20k dps which at times is more than 50% of a pug's group dps.

I would be bad if you only run with good players though.

I'll keep that in mind. I put a question thread about that set on the PVP boards today. Consensus for PVP is that it is outclassed by 7th Legion. Haven't seen anyone sing its praises for PVE. Thanks for the input.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is my personal list of scrap
    Thank you for giving us a perfect example of why "Set xxx is utter trash and completely useless" posts are completely useless.

Just because someone can't figure out how to make a set work with a build doesn't mean that set is useless for everyone.

It really just means that person couldn't figure it out.
    shades.gif
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Thank you for giving us a perfect example of why "Set xxx is utter trash and completely useless" posts are completely useless.

Just because someone can't figure out how to make a set work with a build doesn't mean that set is useless for everyone.

shades.gif

Thank you for pointing out my lack of insight in this area. To all, especially the OP who asked for others’ thoughts on this subject, I apologize for wasting your time with my replies. I should have known the only appropriate response to the OP’s query is “such threads are completely useless.”

In the future, please forward all questions on this topic to Sir Andy. I’m sure he has very detailed and proven builds using sets like Spelunker where he can bust out 45k DPS no problem.

Oh, and be sure to find out how he stores all of these sets he has figured out how to use effectively. Both are well beyond my intellect and I dare not embarrass myself further.
    Edited by El_Borracho on October 31, 2018 11:45PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given how many sets are in the game, it's not possible to keep them all up to date with every patch. Think of it like a Trading Card Game once a new expansion pack comes out, the older packs eventually get phased out, you can still collect them but to stay on top you have to collect the new stuff.
  • Gatviper
    Gatviper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too many sets, too little use. Some forgotten and ignored sets can actually make some good builds, but most of those I find, are either not fitting to my personal build, or are not good enough to think twice but deconstruct.
    Life is a ride, like days in a train, cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.
    The rhythm of wheels, time fades away, stations of a journey, destination unknown.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of inviting "you moron, that set is awesome" posts, here is my personal list of scrap. This is driven primarily by inventory control and lack of use. While some sets may be useful, I believe there is another set that outperforms it, that's why it made the list.

Affliction
    Arch Mage
    Armor Master
    Baharaha’s Curse
    Bark Skin
    Buffer of the Swift
    Combat Physician
    Crest of Cyrodiil
    Crusader
    Deadly Strike
    Defiler
    Destruction Mastery
    Draugr’s Rest
    Dreamers
    Dreugh King Slayer
    Embershield
    Essence Thief
    Eternal Warrior
    Footman
    Glorious Defender
    Grace of the Ancients
    Hanu’s Compassion
    Hatchlings Shell
    Haven of Ursus
    Healer’s Habit
    Hunt Leader
    Ice Furnace
    Immortal Warrior
    Inventor’s Guard
    Invigoration
    Jolting Arms
    Juggernaut
    Knight Errant Mail
    Knightmare
    Light Speaker
    Lunar Bastion
    Mad Tinkerer
    Medusa
    Morihaus
    Netch Touch
    Nikulas’ Heavy Armor
    Noble Duelist
    Oblivion’s Edge
    Order of Diagna
    Orgnum’s Scales
    Overwhelming Surge
    Pelinal’s Aptitude
    Prayer Shawl
    Quick Serpent
    Ranger’s Gait
    Rattlecage
    Red Mountain
    Robes of the Necromancer
    Scathing Mage
    Sergeant’s Mail
    Sentry
    Shalk Exoskleton
    Spelunker
    Spider Cultist
    Storm Knight
    Storm Master
    Stygian
    Svarra’s Scales
    Sword Dancer
    Sword Singer
    Syrabane’s Grip
    Toothrow
    Tormentor
    Treasure Hunter
    Trinimac’s Valor
    Truth
    Twin Sisters
    Undaunted Bastion
    Undaunted Infiltrator
    Unfathomable Darkness
    Vampire Cloak
    Vampire Lord
    Vanguard
    Vanus
    Warlock
    Warrior Poet
    Way of Fire
    Way of the Air
    Wise Mage
    Witchman
    Withered Hand
    Wrath of the Imperium
    Ysgramor’s Birthright

There are quite a few that are very useful in that list. Especially, in the right hands on the right builds. The less theory crafting you do yourself or with your friends that you play with will create less diversity for you to have with sets to be useful. Every new dlc or chapter dropped introduces new sets and by the nerfs or buffs, the fotm sets that people gather to always. I do feel the problem is not just with Zos, as many inexperienced players cry for nerfs right away, ruining even new sets because they are lazy and have 1 main and do not wish to learn the proper counters. Though on the other hand, Zos has no real reason to do anything, as their attitude of late seems to be aimed at getting new players while not really caring much anymore for the loyal playerbase that has stayed around much like some of the deadsets. :)

But it is good to keep a personal list for your builds and the ones you are testing, while theory crafting.

Edited by Girl_Number8 on October 31, 2018 11:48PM
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you moron, that set is awesome
    at a place nobody knows
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bahraha’s Curse still has a place in self-sustain tanking and can singlehandedly replace a healer even on a vamp tank. It pairs very well with Argonian and spell pen too.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on October 31, 2018 11:48PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    Do you guys think!?
    Not if I can avoid it.

Yes
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

Thank you for pointing out my lack of insight in this area. To all, especially the OP who asked for others’ thoughts on this subject, I apologize for wasting your time with my replies. I should have known the only appropriate response to the OP’s query is “such threads are completely useless.”

In the future, please forward all questions on this topic to Sir Andy. I’m sure he has very detailed and proven builds using sets like Spelunker where he can bust out 45k DPS no problem.

Oh, and be sure to find out how he stores all of these sets he has figured out how to use effectively. Both are well beyond my intellect and I dare not embarrass myself further.

giphy.gif
    Edited by geonsocal on October 31, 2018 11:56PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My pet Sorc can do 40k+ skeleton parses with 5x Netch's Touch and 5x Spider Cultist, but yeah, all trash ...
    rolleyes.gifslap.gif

Edited by SirAndy on October 31, 2018 11:57PM
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m 100% ok with sets being niche, they all just can’t overpower the previous in raw dmg. I ran red mountain and way of fire on my stamdk. As it procs off of weapon dmg this has to be the source of your dmg. I kept up blade cloak, render, and rapid strikes. Constant uptick, and being fire dmg hits vamps hard. Air can also be paired with sanche and you can easily pull 4K dmg. So niche is fun and allows experimenting.

The problem is that some sets are utter trash and even fail in niche situations. Take briaheart and spriggans compared to flanking. You have a better chance of building into crits then the 340 dmg when stabbing someone in the back. How about juggernaut, 1 min downtime for a heal....

• D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @El_Borracho I liked Rattlecage on a mDK with Flames of Oblivion slotted on a PvP build a while back.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My pet Sorc can do 40k+ skeleton parses with 5x Netch's Touch and 5x Spider Cultist, but yeah, all trash ...
    rolleyes.gifslap.gif

@SirAndy You're a beast
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dopamine me too! I haven’t been on my Magda for awhile though. Rattle, bsw, skoria. Having that one extra slot was nice
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aww man I thought that Destruction Mastery was one of the good ones.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the drunk said it was their list...

I've used, and, still would use (depending on the situation), a bunch of those sets on their list...

for them though they're useless...can't argue with that...

if you're a decent player and understand theory crafting (combining different build elements), you can make just about anything work...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sithis is far and away the most useless set in existence and I dare someone to argue otherwise. I need a "volunteer" to practice my knife throwing.
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    aww man I thought that Destruction Mastery was one of the good ones.

I don't really count Destruction Mastery as a bad set per say. It's just that Necropotence sort of power creeped it.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on November 1, 2018 1:14AM
    Argonian forever
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

I hope you know this was a general, I'm known for turning a useless set into something, however some sets you just cant do it with.
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

Lol THIS! Anyone saying they can affectively use a useless/nerf set to work is an outright lier.
    Edited by regime211 on November 1, 2018 2:47AM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff Trinimacs Valor! I’d love if this set was more utility and less novelty.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buff Trinimacs Valor! I’d love if this set was more utility and less novelty.

I used to hide, and proc that set on random players to see their reaction lol