The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you guys think!? [Dead Sets]

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    regime211 wrote: »
    Lol THIS! Anyone saying they can affectively use a useless/nerf set to work is an outright lier.
    Anyone who claims that each and every set on that list posted above is useless for everyone is an outright liar ...
    shades.gif

• sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baharah's Curse is most definitely not useless...Also Scathing mage...and Dreugh King has its uses... and I use Oblivion's Edge when I farm overland...best way to fill up those empty soul gems...
    Edited by sevomd69 on November 1, 2018 3:25AM
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Bahraha’s Curse still has a place in self-sustain tanking and can singlehandedly replace a healer even on a vamp tank. It pairs very well with Argonian and spell pen too.

There are times I use this on my magsorc. It's a great set for VMA now for me.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the sets like Light speaker etc that add 400+ to that specific weapon and sets like that in ok with as they are. but there are sets that have been affected by balance changes and made them worse without being adjusted at all.

PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they really ruined Stygian. It was such a beautiful Magicka gank build set.

I decon Wizards Riposte now, that used to be a favorite.

• D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bahraha’s Curse still has a place in self-sustain tanking and can singlehandedly replace a healer even on a vamp tank. It pairs very well with Argonian and spell pen too.

I love Barahas Curse on my NB take paired with Bloodthorns Touch.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Btw, Oblivions edge is great for filling soul gems, Oblivions foe isnt on your list tho, and that set is bad.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of inviting "you moron, that set is awesome" posts, here is my personal list of scrap. This is driven primarily by inventory control and lack of use. While some sets may be useful, I believe there is another set that outperforms it, that's why it made the list.

Affliction
    Arch Mage
    Armor Master
    Baharaha’s Curse
    Bark Skin
    Buffer of the Swift
    Combat Physician
    Crest of Cyrodiil
    Crusader
    Deadly Strike
    Defiler
    Destruction Mastery
    Draugr’s Rest
    Dreamers
    Dreugh King Slayer
    Embershield
    Essence Thief
    Eternal Warrior
    Footman
    Glorious Defender
    Grace of the Ancients
    Hanu’s Compassion
    Hatchlings Shell
    Haven of Ursus
    Healer’s Habit
    Hunt Leader
    Ice Furnace
    Immortal Warrior
    Inventor’s Guard
    Invigoration
    Jolting Arms
    Juggernaut
    Knight Errant Mail
    Knightmare
    Light Speaker
    Lunar Bastion
    Mad Tinkerer
    Medusa
    Morihaus
    Netch Touch
    Nikulas’ Heavy Armor
    Noble Duelist
    Oblivion’s Edge
    Order of Diagna
    Orgnum’s Scales
    Overwhelming Surge
    Pelinal’s Aptitude
    Prayer Shawl
    Quick Serpent
    Ranger’s Gait
    Rattlecage
    Red Mountain
    Robes of the Necromancer
    Scathing Mage
    Sergeant’s Mail
    Sentry
    Shalk Exoskleton
    Spelunker
    Spider Cultist
    Storm Knight
    Storm Master
    Stygian
    Svarra’s Scales
    Sword Dancer
    Sword Singer
    Syrabane’s Grip
    Toothrow
    Tormentor
    Treasure Hunter
    Trinimac’s Valor
    Truth
    Twin Sisters
    Undaunted Bastion
    Undaunted Infiltrator
    Unfathomable Darkness
    Vampire Cloak
    Vampire Lord
    Vanguard
    Vanus
    Warlock
    Warrior Poet
    Way of Fire
    Way of the Air
    Wise Mage
    Witchman
    Withered Hand
    Wrath of the Imperium
    Ysgramor’s Birthright

Hey now...The morihaus trolling in PvP is hilarious and well worth using if you're bored and in need of a good laugh. Its rather amusing rolling through zergs.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sets have become completely useless? I wanted to make this thread to throw down sets you believe have always been useless, and or useless after a nerf?

Ever since launch there were only really 2 or 3 useable sets. The above list is why people have storage problems. They keep them all thinking they will be meta one day and they just wont be.
    List is longer then you take all the playstyles: tanks, healers and pvp also how hard sets are to get.
    Still its a long list even if you include specialized sets
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bahraha's is my go to set for when I want to solo more challenging stuff. And if you take a look at the prices for it on the traders you'll realise it's quite popular.
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Lol THIS! Anyone saying they can affectively use a useless/nerf set to work is an outright lier.
    Anyone who claims that each and every set on that list posted above is useless for everyone is an outright liar ...
    shades.gif

I also suspect that the poster of said list only does PvE, as some of those sets are go-to PvP sets. Though yeah, there are a few meta or off-meta PvE sets in that list as well.

But they did get most of the useless ones, too, so there's that.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In PVE , you may see every raider almost run the same gears .

Tank - Ebon , Alkosh
    Mag dps - Siroria , Mother's Sorrow
    Stam dps - Relequen , Yokeda
    Healer - Olorime

ZOS limited the player choices .

Theory crafting ? Take a look those youtubers or this forum active crafters , gears choices exactly the same !
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Tank - Ebon , Alkosh
    Healer - Olorime

Theory crafting ? Take a look those youtubers or this forum active crafters , gears choices exactly the same !

Its not that the choices are limited, it's that most you tubers and a majority of the community wants to have the best gear possible. It's just human. You'd want the best stuff for yourself, and dealing great numbers with minimal effort required.

All content, even vet trials don't require maximum dps numbers. But if you want to finish it quick, skip mechanics and all that jazz, then yes higher numbers allow you to do that.

Most people mistake optimal with viable. Viable means as long as you can finish the content in reasonable time, you're good to go. I've done vet HM dungeons with 20k dps (with being 50% of the total dps even). That's the beauty of builds isn't it, there's always choices. Will there be a build that surpasses them all in terms of raw damage? Of course.

"ok guys, passing marks for this test is 75%."
    "I've got 80%, that should be good."
    "What?! Dude cmon, 98% is where it's at! Epic fails man."
    "Seriously?"

Imagine a mechanic that has the boss reflect damage back to all players and have a unforgiving phase? That high dps won't save the group, it'll kill them. What if a mechanic require you to have self heals in addition to your healer? Perhaps a dungeon that requires you to have major expedition up at all times because of constant snares? So yeah, sets might be useless now... Might change tomorrow. /shrug
    Edited by RavenSworn on November 1, 2018 7:33AM
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Tank - Ebon , Alkosh
    Healer - Olorime

Its not that the choices are limited, it's that most you tubers and a majority of the community wants to have the best gear possible. It's just human. You'd want the best stuff for yourself, and dealing great numbers with minimal effort required.

All content, even vet trials don't require maximum dps numbers. But if you want to finish it quick, skip mechanics and all that jazz, then yes higher numbers allow you to do that.

Most people mistake optimal with viable. Viable means as long as you can finish the content in reasonable time, you're good to go. I've done vet HM dungeons with 20k dps (with being 50% of the total dps even). That's the beauty of builds isn't it, there's always choices. Will there be a build that surpasses them all in terms of raw damage? Of course.

"ok guys, passing marks for this test is 75%."
    "I've got 80%, that should be good."
    "What?! Dude cmon, 98% is where it's at! Epic fails man."
    "Seriously?"

Imagine a mechanic that has the boss reflect damage back to all players and have a unforgiving phase? That high dps won't save the group, it'll kill them. What if a mechanic require you to have self heals in addition to your healer? Perhaps a dungeon that requires you to have major expedition up at all times because of constant snares? So yeah, sets might be useless now... Might change tomorrow. /shrug
    This is true, now its another factor, how hard is the set to use, do you need to keep track on proc like on Mechanical Acuity?
    On the other hand if your dps is low you will benefit from an proc set rater than one who do an flat damage bonus.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Aluneth
    Aluneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've used Knight Errant and in my experience, it's great for solo play. I love Shalk Exoskeleton, and I'm using it on my tank sorcerer at the moment.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sets have become completely useless?

I think there are few, if any, sets that are completely useless. Useless is pretty absolute.

There are many that are less useful that others but that does not make them useless. With as many sets as ESO has and with as many that are added every year it is clear we will have a lot of sets that are no were near as useful as other sets and it will always be that way.

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysgramor’s Birthright - great for Mag Frost Warden, paired with Necropotence.
    Netch's Touch - great for Mag Sorc, paired with Necropotence.

You know nothing OP :p .
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Aluneth
    Aluneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is more to the game than just trials.

PvP
    Dungeons
    Veteran Dungeons
    Solo
    etc...

Just because a set doesn't fit the main meta when it comes to DPS or trials, doesn't mean it's useless.
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think a bunch of sets can get some nice adjustments to make them useful in more situations or not completely outclassed by other sets.

2 examples: Sword Singer and Sword Dancer are completely outclassed by Automaton, the only skill it doesnt affect is Momentum AFAIK.

So a little extra bonus aside from more weapon damage could be added to compensate for using such a specialized set. Cost reduction to relevant skills (Sword Singer) and adding x seconds to the duration of skills (Sword Dancer, buffing Twin Slashes, and the very potent Lacerate ult) are buffs that keep the identity of the set and make them interesting.

Just my 2 septims tho
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So much this.
    Aluneth wrote: »

PvP
    Dungeons
    Veteran Dungeons
    Solo
    etc...

Just because a set doesn't fit the main meta when it comes to DPS or trials, doesn't mean it's useless.

You will find niche sets good at some things. PvP uses are endless. Many trials builds are not quite as good in 4 man stuff. Overland, anything goes sometimes.

Brotherhood and thieves guild stuff may need a different kind of setup.

I would have to agree though, there are some that are mostly poo easily outperformed by any other set.

On the road to Stormproofing all my toons, I’ve used some of “The List” sets. It wasn’t pretty. I wasn’t breaking any records or anything. But they were most helpful at the time while I got more comfortable and better with them.

• pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    Do you guys think!?
    Not if I can avoid it.

Wait what?
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aluneth wrote: »

PvP
    Dungeons
    Veteran Dungeons
    Solo
    etc...

Absolutely right on the spot.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Aluneth

I often play around with odd set combinations together with skills, just for fun.

One example I'm going to try in BG's when I collected the pieces i need is.

Curse of DolyMesh:
    (5 items) When you hit a taunted monster with a fully-charged Heavy Attack or any enemy that is stunned or immobilized with a fully-charged Heavy Attack, you deal an additional 12040 Physical Damage. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds.

combined with:
    Inner Beast Which is a ranged Taunt. and throw some Ranged Bow Heavy's...

Not sure how effective it is, but sure gonna be fun to try...

Another fun combo I'm going to try in BG's as well for a Hybrid Trapper.
    Swarm Mother + Eternal Hunt + other trap like skills.

1, Drop some daedric mines &, Volcanic Rune.
    2. Roll dodge out of your circle to place yet another trap.
    3. Block and pull With Swarm mother, or with Silver Leach.

I think this game has a lot of fun sets. That might not be that strong in PvE but can be really fun in PvP.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tunepunk wrote: »
    Agree with @Aluneth

I often play around with odd set combinations together with skills, just for fun.

One example I'm going to try in BG's when I collected the pieces i need is.

Curse of DolyMesh:
    (5 items) When you hit a taunted monster with a fully-charged Heavy Attack or any enemy that is stunned or immobilized with a fully-charged Heavy Attack, you deal an additional 12040 Physical Damage. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds.

combined with:
    Inner Beast Which is a ranged Taunt. and throw some Ranged Bow Heavy's...

Not sure how effective it is, but sure gonna be fun to try...

Another fun combo I'm going to try in BG's as well for a Hybrid Trapper.
    Swarm Mother + Eternal Hunt + other trap like skills.

1, Drop some daedric mines &, Volcanic Rune.
    2. Roll dodge out of your circle to place yet another trap.
    3. Block and pull With Swarm mother, or with Silver Leach.

I think this game has a lot of fun sets. That might not be that strong in PvE but can be really fun in PvP.

Proximity det :wink:

I'm curious... Does Doylemish set work with tormentor? Also with tremorscale? Always wondered about that combo...

Of Wolf and Raven
  • Mavor
    Mavor
    ✭✭✭
    Bahara's is a great set for soloing and tanking, shouldn't be in the list. Maybe not for trials or pvp, but not everything needs to be measured by those metrics.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does Knightmare sound pretty badass on paper? What's preventing it from being a good PvP option?
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they really ruined Stygian. It was such a beautiful Magicka gank build set.

I decon Wizards Riposte now, that used to be a favorite.

Riposte is still good in 1v1 or BGs. Decent uptime, not as overtuned as before but worth a slot.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    here is my personal list of scrap
    Thank you for giving us a perfect example of why "Set xxx is utter trash and completely useless" posts are completely useless.

Just because someone can't figure out how to make a set work with a build doesn't mean that set is useless for everyone.

It really just means that person couldn't figure it out.
    shades.gif

Thank you for pointing out my lack of insight in this area. To all, especially the OP who asked for others’ thoughts on this subject, I apologize for wasting your time with my replies. I should have known the only appropriate response to the OP’s query is “such threads are completely useless.”

In the future, please forward all questions on this topic to Sir Andy. I’m sure he has very detailed and proven builds using sets like Spelunker where he can bust out 45k DPS no problem.

Oh, and be sure to find out how he stores all of these sets he has figured out how to use effectively. Both are well beyond my intellect and I dare not embarrass myself further.

Most of those sets are not useless though...
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer ZOS to cull 1/3 of the sets. Using the craftables as the 'loss'.

The base game has the starting sets in triplicate, so remove 2 from every zone. Not required since T1.
    DLC's and Chapters generally have 3 sets. Make it two. I'd much rather 2 sets of quality that I may use, than 2 I may 1 I would never.

Use the data gathered on their end to figure out what sets simply get no or very limited real usage (writs excluded). The sets we wouldn't even notice missing.

If there is a set found that gets 'moderate' usage, have that drop instead of a dungeon set that gets no usage.

So essentially all dungeons still get their light / med / heavy. What we lose is crafting stations that never get used.

The real estate left behind could be useful for future content, ie The Seducer in Deshaan (Which there are 2 other stations in the worldspace in other alliances, there only needs to be 1 since T1 came out) is found in a cave in the North that is just asking to be retrofitted into a DLC Dungeon.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they can't just remove sets. Would cause a riot. I like their most recent approach during the summer, where they reimagined a bunch of the pvp sets.