Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Where do these issues that so many people complain about come from?

Greg11jkalfa
Greg11jkalfa
✭✭✭
Before people grab their pitchforks and torches, at least read why I ask. I see a lot of players saying that ESO is a bug infested, and laggy mess. But when I see these comments, it feels like I'm in a foreign country, and nobody speaks my language. When it comes to bugs, I've only seen less than a handful in all of my playtime. But I can't even remember the last time I ran into one. When people talk about bad ping, it's as if I have godly internet or something. Very rarely do I have connection issues, and when I do, it's because my internet is wigging out. I'm not calling anyone who has those issues a liar, or saying it's their fault. I just can't relate to the issues. Even as someone who has over 2600 hours into the game, plays nearly every day, and have touched every piece of content there is, i.e., Battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, Quests, DLCs, Chapters, Dungeons, Trials, Delves, etc. I just want to try and understand where these issues come from.
Edited by Greg11jkalfa on February 11, 2019 8:35PM
When the next Elder Scroll is written, you shall be it's scribe.
-Martin Septim
Member Since June 9, 2015
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Formatting is awful, did not read
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've often thought I must be playing a different game to the one everyone else is playing, for the reasons you give. It turns out you're playing the same one as me!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only real issues I have are ones I cause myself.... like not being able to log in at all for hours this morning after the patch - only to discover after all that time and angst that my router is dead....
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sprint bug, lag out and have your bow suddenly on your dw bar and vice versa (visual bug), long load screens on good computers, bar swapping issues, heavy attacks straight up doing a 'swing and a miss' along with skills at times, stuck in combat, abilities firing twice or not at all

That's off the top of my head cuz I've had all of that in the last week.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Strychnos
    Strychnos
    ✭✭✭
    I think people on the internet just like to complain ;-)

I’ve defibitely ran into my fair share of bugs (I think you might be lucky in this regard), but none of them have ever made me as upset as they seem to make some people. At the most they’re a little frustrating, at the least very funny. Like, not being able to compete Murkmire daily quests sometimes was irritating for sure, but it didn’t destroy my opinion of the DLC.

I have also been having problems with ping not due to my internet recently, but again it’s not game ending. Just a little frustrating. It’s not a constant problem, just occasional spikes that make the game lag a little.

I get the feeling that people are either overreacting, or just get more upset about issues with the game than I do,
    lvl50 Characters:
    Toxlexel (Argonian Templar PvE Healer, EP)
    Grove-of-Trees-Swaying (Argonian Vampire NB PvE Tank, EP)
    Kazabi-daro (Khajiit DK PvE DPS, AD)- build under renovation
    Iroas Candaalil (Maormer [Dunmer] PvE Sorc DPS, EP, vMA build)- build under renovation
    Trick-of-the-Light(Argonian Warden PvE Healer, EP)
    Characters being leveled:
    Meera-Ei (Argonian DK PvP Tank, EP, Grove's sister)
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even us who experience the issues want to understand too! Ive gone from 6/mbps to 70/mbps different ISP and my ping changed by 10, fluctuated less but the remaining issues still existed. Honestly, i never believe anyone who says they never have issues. You probably are and just dont notice? Otherwise we need convinced you arent having issues. What is your average ping?
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    The only real issues I have are ones I cause myself.... like not being able to log in at all for hours this morning after the patch - only to discover after all that time and angst that my router is dead....

I hope that didn't stop you blaming the servers, that is the expected form you know :wink: !
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to try and understand where these issues come from.
    Z O S
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wtf are you people talking about. This game is literally RIDDLED with bugs.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    Even us who experience the issues want to understand too! Ive gone from 6/mbps to 70/mbps different ISP and my ping changed by 10, fluctuated less but the remaining issues still existed. Honestly, i never believe anyone who says they never have issues. You probably are and just dont notice? Otherwise we need convinced you arent having issues. What is your average ping?

probably he is just a zos employee
  • Greg11jkalfa
    Greg11jkalfa
    ✭✭✭

It settles at 125 almost all day. But as I said, when I have connection issues usually my internet is to blame. I often get switched to wifi out of nowhere, and even have my internet just stop for a small time. The worst I've seen it get without my internet being bad, is 150ish, but even when it reaches that point, I only have longer loading screens, not issues in combat or anything.
    -Martin Septim
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My average ping is 2000 ms. I don't have any problems dealing with it - I've played MMOs since 2006, and I've always had major ping as satellite is the only connection I have.

I've never seen a bug. I don't even see any graphics issues. And I spend 9 hours or so in game every day.
    Tandor wrote: »

I hope that didn't stop you blaming the servers, that is the expected form you know :wink: !

*snerk* I have never in my entire MMO-playing life blamed the servers - it's just not productive behavior.

• Greg11jkalfa
    Greg11jkalfa
    ✭✭✭

@oxygen_thief

I laughed pretty hard at that, so I'm assuming that was just a well placed joke.
    -Martin Septim
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wtf are you people talking about. This game is literally RIDDLED with bugs.

The last one I encountered was a couple of years or so ago, and it was fixed in a patch the week after I encountered it. The only other one I came across was a broken quest at launch and by canceling it and retaking it from the quest giver a few paces away I was able to complete it normally. Like the OP says, it's sometimes difficult to comprehend where people are coming across all these game-breaking issues that we keep reading about.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you write this way
    For a nonsense forum post
    It's all so tiresome
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are 3 different platforms playing on here, only one of which is PC. Console is notorious for having terrible connection issues and monstrous lag, so that's probably what you're running into a lot. On console, we were born into the lag, and have learned to embrace it as a "Feature, not a bug. All is working as intended". I started playing on PC as well not long ago, and I was able to move around so quickly with abilities working with one single button press, I didn't know what to do with myself. It felt weird and like my screen was out of control. I honestly don't know how to play in more than 2 fps. It feels wrong.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Greg11jkalfa
    Greg11jkalfa
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you write this way
    For a nonsense forum post
    It's all so tiresome

@Kingslayer513
    I'm not sure why this is an issue.
    Or how it's a nonsensical post.
    Seeing how other people feel the same as me anyways.
    If the discussion isn't one you have interest in, why make comments on it?
    -Martin Septim
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@oxygen_thief

I laughed pretty hard at that, so I'm assuming that was just a well placed joke.

every joke has a piece of truth. group finder didnt work for me on pc eu this evening. what can you say about it?
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game works just fine for me on PS4. There are some minor bugs, but nothing to get my panties in a bunch over. All in all, I'm very happy with the game.
  • Greg11jkalfa
    Greg11jkalfa
    ✭✭✭

@oxygen_thief

every joke has a piece of truth. group finder didnt work for me on pc eu this evening. what can you say about it?

@oxygen_thief

I'd say for one, I don't play on EU, but I've heard the connection for it is just generally worse than NA. And two, saying group finder just didn't work is a broad statement. Are you a DPS or Healer? Because if so, you're far less likely to get a group if you aren't a tank role. This is easy to see why, as most players are DPS, less so are Healers, and even less so are Tanks.
    -Martin Septim
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely some of the ping complaints you will see on the forum are from players that do not live in America. I play with a 250-500ping (Au) usually & most of the time it is playable but not optimal. It does cause issues with combat.. bar swaps don't happen, skills don't fire, etc...

Some regular issues I see are :-

Spring bug - can't use skills till your stam hits zero & regens.
    Stuck in heavy attack animation. happens a lot.
    Movement stutter - I can be moving forward (holding down the W key) & my character will stop & not move again till I take my finger off the W key & jab it a few times., then hold again & I get going again.

NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My average ping is 2000 ms. I don't have any problems dealing with it - I've played MMOs since 2006, and I've always had major ping as satellite is the only connection I have.

I've never seen a bug. I don't even see any graphics issues. And I spend 9 hours or so in game every day.

Meant for OP since he claims to have no lag, his ping must be relatively low.

2000ms is a 2 second wait for every action you do, 9 hours a day...thats torture!
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twin Slashes is available to morph

Must reload ui to morph

:trollface:
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@oxygen_thief

@oxygen_thief

I'd say for one, I don't play on EU, but I've heard the connection for it is just generally worse than NA. And two, saying group finder just didn't work is a broad statement. Are you a DPS or Healer? Because if so, you're far less likely to get a group if you aren't a tank role. This is easy to see why, as most players are DPS, less so are Healers, and even less so are Tanks.

its impossible to do dungeon/bg even with a premade group due to "someone declined the invite" bug
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't a ton of bugs, but optimization is awful.

I shouldn't be getting 30 FPS (in towns and trials) in this game with my GTX 1080 that pulls 120 FPS in The Witcher 3.

I also average 100+ ping in this game with my 1 Gbit internet, which doesn't exceed 30-40 ping in any other game.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 29, 2018 11:35PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea. I've never had any reason to check my ping or FPS etc. Not only does the game run smoothly, but it runs the same as every other game I play whereas those who complain about ESO's performance compare it unfavourably with their other games.

I don't PvP or do competitive PvE (although I do a lot of cooperative play at dolmens, world bosses and delves etc), and I don't belong to any guilds or use any addons, all of which are highly relevant to performance I suspect, but the game has run so smoothly (on high settings, and on two different machines) since PC launch that I simply haven't had to check performance stats. Believe me when I say that if I had the sort of ping and FPS issues that others report then I'd certainly notice them! If your argument is that those reporting no issues do actually have them but just don't notice them then that simply supports the notion that they're not as serious as some make out. As it happens, I take other players' reports at face value, as I would expect them to take mine.

I also play on PC EU which I think has generally had better reports than PC NA where the combination of poorer US ISPs and the Akamai situation seem to be factors that are commonly mentioned. I also use a desktop PC with Windows 7 and wired connections to mouse, keyboard, and modem/router which I think are also significant given that some are likely to be playing on lesser devices with Windows 10 and wireless peripherals including shared internet connections.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    orig
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm on NA and I see bugs all the time. I'll probably have to exit my house and re-enter when I finally get there because I wont be able to interact with anything. The running place bug in cyrodiil, which was mostly during MYM. Disappearing environment. "Someone declined queue" when you have 4 in your group and all on comms, lol.

The bugs are definitely there, I just dont get worked up about them. There are emergencies and there are inconveniences, bugs in a video game are an inconvenience at best.

Sometimes letting perfect be the enemy of good will yield neither.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Meant for OP since he claims to have no lag, his ping must be relatively low.

2000ms is a 2 second wait for every action you do, 9 hours a day...thats torture!

In practice, it's not that bad. Now, killing stuff with my stamblade is kind of difficult. Which is why I really prefer pet classes - the pets are outside the lag, since they're run server-side, so that mitigates my lag somewhat.

Really, I used to have worse lag.... back in the early WoW days. I have a whole method of building in "lag-counter" into how I keyboard attacks....

I do have win10, but wired net connection, wired keyboard and mouse - as Tandor says, I do think that makes a great deal of difference. I have a friend who plays Skyrim with wireless everything - and he complains all the time about things that I never see in Skyrim. He doesn't play ESO, not into MMOs, so haven't ever discussed that with him.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on October 29, 2018 11:47PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That's like (press 1) (make coffee) (click LMB) (drink coffee) (press 2) (check news headlines) (press LMB) ... oops, my hour is up, time to go to work.
    I just want to try and understand where these issues come from.

There are a lot of reasons, but most of them can be answered by "it's the internet". Truth be told, I have more problems with ZOS simply not finishing what they start than I do with bugs, performance, and latency. I guess I just choose to play to the game's strengths.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus