The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Daily clothier writs - Suggestion

PromiscuousNun
I havn't seen a discussion about this on the last 20 pages, so here we go again.. (I assume/hope it's again?)

There are 3 clothier-writs-options you can do (or get) daily. Two of those are light armour, one is medium armour.
i'm floating 10K plus leather and have trouble keeping 1 or 2k silk.

Can we please have 2/2, so 4 in total? or 1/1 whatever ;) Considering current murkmire bugs and stuff, there are more important things , but still… why not?
Woodworking and blacksmithing also have 3, but they share the same resource. The cloths do not ;)

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse yet again :pensive: But but but.... all in favour?
PC -EU
  • slackergirl
    I came on the forums specifically to log a complaint about this. I have always found the demand of cloth over leather in writs to be perplexing. Leather materials are abundant and easy to aquire, while cloth takes considerable effort, but they have more cloth writs, and give proportionally less cloth than leather in the survey reports. The change to lower level writs requiring fewer items has given me hope that this may change with enough complaints. So start complaining, people!
    I can think of two solutions which will still preserve the 3 writ rotation. First, change the light armor writ that requires robe, breeches, and epaulets to a mix of light and medium of jack, guards, and epaulets. This will more closely resemble a 50:50 ratio, while also taking out the two biggest light armor items so you actually use more of your medium armor materials.
    A second solution could be to have them allow for use of either light or medium armor. So clothier chest, legs, and shoulders. We can then choose to use whatever material we have the most of.
    And that will almost always be leather. Every crafter I know is swimming in leather that they will never use, to the point that it is almost worthless to me.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's really no reason for the writs to be all light or all medium. Putting the mix in each writ would be just as easy. Make one light + 2 medium one day, reverse that the next. Even with 9 items in the three day rotation, you could have a 5:4 ratio, instead of 6:3. Add an item to make it ten, and complete balance is possible.

I suspect that it was originally intended for light and medium to be completely separate, and you'd get a daily writ for each. Smiths/Woodworkers make a mix of weapons and armour, so why can't a clothier make a mix of light and medium?
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was made an awful lot worse when they removed 2 of the cloth nodes from the surveys and put in furrier traps for leather. Like many others, I have over 20k in rubedo leather, and am constantly OUT of silk. For this reason, now no longer run my silk days for clothier writs and so only do every third day... I even have a spreadsheet defining when each of my toons has a "leather day".
  • slackergirl
    Rittings wrote: »
    It was made an awful lot worse when they removed 2 of the cloth nodes from the surveys and put in furrier traps for leather. Like many others, I have over 20k in rubedo leather, and am constantly OUT of silk. For this reason, now no longer run my silk days for clothier writs and so only do every third day... I even have a spreadsheet defining when each of my toons has a "leather day".

And thus you get fewer clothier survey reports, so fewer opportunities to restock on silk. It's a vicious cycle.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I have over 30k+ of leather right now and my Silk is around 200.... please get this fix!

@ZOS_RichLambert
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »

And thus you get fewer clothier survey reports, so fewer opportunities to restock on silk. It's a vicious cycle.

That's what 5-6 alts doing writs requiring jute are good for. I just funnel all my alts' surveys to my main crafter and plan a harvest day where I do nothing but whittle away at my survey supply.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• PromiscuousNun
    [/quote]

That's what 5-6 alts doing writs requiring jute are good for. I just funnel all my alts' surveys to my main crafter and plan a harvest day where I do nothing but whittle away at my survey supply.[/quote]

I do exactely that aswell (6 craft the max tier and 6 the lowest for surveys and collecting those on 1 char) It's still not enough.

What some people suggested above would be a great 'quality of the crafter'-life improvement. And I don't think it's hard to do.

So here goes my best: *puppy eyes* Zenimax…. *puppy eyes* :*

Cheers, nun

PC -EU
  • slackergirl
    Feric51 wrote: »

That's what 5-6 alts doing writs requiring jute are good for. I just funnel all my alts' surveys to my main crafter and plan a harvest day where I do nothing but whittle away at my survey supply.

I also already do that. I have 4 characters doing ancestor silk level writs to farm master writs, and another 4 doing jute level. I also have another account with 8 characters all doing just level for the survey reports. However, until recently, it was impossible to even keep up with the jute demand. I still run out of cloth. Remember, it's not just the normal writs, but master writs and making armor for players that contributes to demand.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also already do that. I have 4 characters doing ancestor silk level writs to farm master writs, and another 4 doing jute level. I also have another account with 8 characters all doing just level for the survey reports. However, until recently, it was impossible to even keep up with the jute demand. I still run out of cloth. Remember, it's not just the normal writs, but master writs and making armor for players that contributes to demand.

I can fully understand the problem, I was just trying to offer a solution that has relieved the burden for me somewhat. Regarding making armor for other players, that can be alleviated by making them supply their own materials. I also craft, for free, a lot of gear for my guildmates, but there are some items I request they at least take a modicum of effort to provide for me. Ancestor silk is one, potent nirncrux is another.

Also, I once did the math for what each max-tier writ cost, considering only the raw material (not trait stones) and based on the average market rate for stacks of refined mats on the guild stores. Ancestor silk daily writs cost about 4.5k each on console, but if you consider the return of the occasional survey, dreugh wax, master writ, etc. and what gold you could make by selling those Then you can stomach the cost of purchasing stacks of ancestor silk from a trader if need be. You'll still be in the black even with below average RNG.

Master writs use 1/3 the ancestor silk of a daily writ since they only require a single CP150 item compared to the three items for the daily writ. There are obviously other material costs involved in a master writ, but this thread was mainly focusing on the use of ancestor silk, not ancillary materials.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say no.

Cloth matts are much easier to come buy for everyone. Those of us that have been around for awhile, and very active, have a bank of leather matts, but Zos needs to consider how changes like this affect the masses.

I remember how early in the game players complained about how difficult it was to get leather matts for crafting. I have not seen that change significantly.
  • slackergirl
    idk wrote: »
    I would say no.

Cloth matts are much easier to come buy for everyone. Those of us that have been around for awhile, and very active, have a bank of leather matts, but Zos needs to consider how changes like this affect the masses.

I remember how early in the game players complained about how difficult it was to get leather matts for crafting. I have not seen that change significantly.

That seems strange to me, since you obtain leather mats in the normal course of play. Also, early in the game there was not a crafting bag, where ever normal players could store large quantities of materials they aren't using. Look at the price of leather compared to cloth. Ancestor silk is much more expensive than rubedo leather, at least on PS4. Ideally, I'm also not suggesting requiring more use of leather, but rather giving the player the choice of using the more abundant material. It seems a shame to me to see all this leather sitting in my crafting bag with little use.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about 10k+ of silk and around 2.5k of leather in my crafting bag right now. I really depends on how you play the game which one you end up gathering more. If you regularly harvest for mats you'll have more than enough silk, but you might not have that much leather depending if you kill a lot of the right kind of mobs. If you run dungeons and trials a lot and only grab mats from surveys you'll end up having lots of leather and not that much silk.

That being said I would be fine with a 50/50 kind of writs if the leather drop rates from mobs were more consistent. Killing three durzogs to end up with one or no scrap is just too annoying versus always at least getting three raw mats from a silk node.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I would say no.

That seems strange to me, since you obtain leather mats in the normal course of play. Also, early in the game there was not a crafting bag, where ever normal players could store large quantities of materials they aren't using. Look at the price of leather compared to cloth. Ancestor silk is much more expensive than rubedo leather, at least on PS4. Ideally, I'm also not suggesting requiring more use of leather, but rather giving the player the choice of using the more abundant material. It seems a shame to me to see all this leather sitting in my crafting bag with little use.

You could always try crafting CP160 pieces of medium armor in Hunding's Rage, NMG, or Mechanical Acuity, or some other such crafted set and listing it in guild traders. Might sell, might not, but at least you'd be making something with it.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• slackergirl

I can fully understand the problem, I was just trying to offer a solution that has relieved the burden for me somewhat. Regarding making armor for other players, that can be alleviated by making them supply their own materials. I also craft, for free, a lot of gear for my guildmates, but there are some items I request they at least take a modicum of effort to provide for me. Ancestor silk is one, potent nirncrux is another.

I also do exactly this. However, it is a bit of a shock to newer players when I tell them the 3 and 1/2 stacks of ancestor silk they need will easily cost at least 50k, when they can buy the equivalent amount of leather for maybe 12k. Heck, most players, even newer players, just have a few stacks of leather for me to use. When the supply and demand for the two materials is that vastly different, there is a reason.

I've been playing since a few months after console launch, and a lot of my guild mates have been playing since launch. I play and craft pretty much every day, even more since I'm home on disability. I don't do dungeons and trials much. I run around questing, stopping for every node I see. I gotta tell ya, we've never heard of anyone having more leather than silk (though maining a tank who takes 5 minutes to kill a mudcrab, I can see it). The only times it even comes close is when people make a concerted effort to farm silk.

I'm not even asking ZOS to make silk easier to supply. I just want them to demand its use less.