The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

CP stars without misleading numbers (jump points)

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    So... the ironic thing is, originally, only two CP stars had jump points (Elfborn and Piercing). All the other CP stars gave their advertised value.

The CP overhaul during the Morrowind patch is what added jump points to virtually all of stars. But the irony is that Morrowind is also the patch where they increased the display to two decimal places. Prior to Morrowind, it would show only one digit after the decimal.

That is the part that baffles me the most--that we go from showing 1 to 2 digits after the decimal in the same patch where the digits after the decimal become irrelevant.

I remember thinking something similar when it came about. I believe the correct answer is: ZOS Logic?

:P
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This pops up every now and then. Why zos has it this way or does not let anyone know is beyond me. They've never (as far as I can recall) responded to this topic. My guess is it's just a marketing illusion for your basic casual player that doesn't know better, he thinks he's getting stronger with each point spent.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Benemime wrote: »
    How is this still NOT A FRIGGING SCANDAL, I have no idea.

HEY ZOS! HOW BOUT YOU SKIP THAT VERY NEXT CROWNSTORE ITEM AND SORT THIS SCHITT OUT BEFORE YOU GET BACK TO THAT??!!!

do you wanna see a scandal worse than jump points?

"Make sure you put your points into Elemental Defender and Hardy FIRST, committing them before placing any in Ironclad/Thick Skinned (there is currently a bug where if you do not do this, you will get less mitigation than intended)."

http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-magic-dragonknight-dps-build-2/#end

original thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347576/selective-noncommutivity-of-warrior-cp/p1

I don't think that was fixed, this is even shadier than jump points. lol

That's been fixed
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To my surprise, I only had to fix Thaum and one other blue. Everything else I had was optimal. Thank you.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, I been putting 51 points into Shadow Ward for 19% Block Cost Reduction its actually been 18% all this time? I put 1 point into Befoul as a filler to get to the 75 mark for Treasure Hunter perk.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I legitimately didn't know that integers as displayed on the interface (eg. 19% at 51 points) were still liable to getting rounded down.

Thanks very much for posting this.
    Edited by TheYKcid on October 21, 2018 9:51AM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So wait, I been putting 51 points into Shadow Ward for 19% Block Cost Reduction its actually been 18% all this time? I put 1 point into Befoul as a filler to get to the 75 mark for Treasure Hunter perk.

Block cost reduction is not part of this. Most of this applies to increases in damage/regen, not decreases.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ya jump points was a stupid addition
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

I suspect it was a lag reducing change. Though, the UI really need to accurately reflect the game on this one.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

I suspect it was a lag reducing change. Though, the UI really need to accurately reflect the game on this one.

It would have zero impact on performance. If anything, the extra floor() calls would cost extra CPU cycles on the sever.

You do realize that in large software products like this, that the people who design the combat system ("this thing should boost damage by that much") are not the same people who actually program the combat system and they, in turn, are not the same people who program the UI.

I seriously doubt that any of the combat designers said, "we need jump points, please add them in". Instead, they said, "we need this star to have a curve like this, with the slope looking like this in the early points and falling off like that in the later points". And then the person who actually programmed the code for it probably just added a single floor() call somewhere in the code, and boom, you got jump points. Or they did something innocent like have the function that applies a certain CP effect only accept integers, and then inputs to that function get casted to integers and have their decimals chopped off.

TL;DR: Jump points are most likely the result of programming quirks associated with how the combat formula is implemented in code rather than deliberate choices by the combat designers.
    Edited by code65536 on October 21, 2018 3:14PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • scholar666
    scholar666
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Very good idea for improvement. But there is an old and wise phrase, "you can't polish a turd"

Because that's what the entire champion system is... A turd.

This made me lol!
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Someone should make an addon for this, no point waiting for ZOS you will be waiting years and then it will be put in the crown store as a UI upgrade DLC.
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please!

This is irritating as hell!

Why decimal numbers? It's useless information, a visual information how many more points are needed to get the next actual increase would be MUCH better.

This should be an easy fix for ZOS.

I didn't even know that 19% wouldn't be 19%! So I guess I will have to fix several Stam DD, omfg. Thankfully we get more CP today, so I don't have to reset :).

The CP information in the game help (F1) should be updated as well. The game help onb Champion System doesn't explain jump points.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troneon wrote: »
    Someone should make an addon for this, no point waiting for ZOS you will be waiting years and then it will be put in the crown store as a UI upgrade DLC.

Erm... what exactly would that solve? The jump point problem is that the stars always truncate--round down to the nearest integer. You don't need an addon to help you round 12.34% down to 12%, and you certainly don't need any charts or tables.

The problem is that casual players don't know that CP stars round down. If you know about the problem, you don't need an addon to help you ignore the digits after the decimal point. And if you don't know about the problem, how would you know that you need to get an addon? LOL.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone cares this is still a thing as of Q1 2020.

Just tested with 51 points in thauma and 19% is still being rounded down to 18%.

#threadnecro
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kadar wrote: »

Just tested with 51 points in thauma and 19% is still being rounded down to 18%.

#threadnecro

I doubt they are going to do anything to specifically address jump points when they've already stated that they are working on an overhaul to the entire CP system. I know it sucks.

Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kahnak wrote: »
    kadar wrote: »

#threadnecro

I doubt they are going to do anything to specifically address jump points when they've already stated that they are working on an overhaul to the entire CP system. I know it sucks.
    Mm, true.

Not a big deal as long as people are aware. Tricky thing right now is it only affects certain stars known to have jump points. For example I was not able to reproduce the issue with Mighty (75 points = 14%). It seemed that my damage was properly increasing right on the whole number. ./shrug
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And recovery is whack. 75 points in mooncalf ( = 14%) seems to be only increasing my stam reco by ~10% lmao.