Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please Consider Additional Grains From Deconstruction

Gundug
Gundug
✭✭✭✭✭
I would hope that the developers will consider increasing the drop rate of grains from deconstructed jewelry from the current zero to one grain system to:

Zero to one with no points in extraction
One to two with one point in extraction
One to three with two points in extraction
One to five with three points in extraction

I believe this would reduce the issues with scarcity of materials, without going overboard on the increase. Green through purple jewelry is already common enough to find while questing. There is no good reason to make it difficult to construct. There is also the major issue of an extreme scarcity of purple tempers, making it impossible to solve master writs of any difficulty.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's actually a very good idea, and in addition, if taking away incentive of running endgame content is what ZOS is concerned about, then the suggestion will actually give people more incentive to run vet trials. Win-win, if one asks me.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they ever increase,the grains, or just swap to platings only, I suspect they'll do it when they make jewelrycrafting base game.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should get the same type of thing from deconstruction as you get from constructing. If it takes iron ingots to make a sword, you should get iron ingots when deconstructing. If it takes ounces to make jewelry, we should get ounces whenever we deconstruct.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @lordrichter , the talk is about different thing. We do get ounces when deconstructing jewelry. But when you deconstruct a sword, you also have a chance of getting trait materials (of corresponding trait) and upgrade materials (of corresponding quality). So if you're deconstructing an Epic mercenary style sword, you have a chance of getting a laurel, and a purple temper (four of them went into making the sword). Only jewelry gives grains instead of full platings (four gold platings are required to make jewelry gold, but deconstructing a piece only has a chance to give 1/10 of a single plating).

In other words, deconstructing a gold sword has a chance to give 1/8 of what's needed to make another gold sword. Deconstructing a jewelry piece has a chance to give 1/40 of what's needed to make another gold jewelry piece.
    Edited by John_Falstaff on October 15, 2018 12:23PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter , the talk is about different thing. We do get ounces when deconstructing jewelry. But when you deconstruct a sword, you also have a chance of getting trait materials (of corresponding trait) and upgrade materials (of corresponding quality). So if you're deconstructing an Epic mercenary style sword, you have a chance of getting a laurel, and a purple temper (four of them went into making the sword). Only jewelry gives grains instead of full platings (four gold platings are required to make jewelry gold, but deconstructing a piece only has a chance to give 1/10 of a single plating).

In other words, deconstructing a gold sword has a chance to give 1/8 of what's needed to make another gold sword. Deconstructing a jewelry piece has a chance to give 1/40 of what's needed to make another gold jewelry piece.

My mistake. I guess I don't do enough jewelry deconstruction in this game to notice that they hand out ounces. It goes right into my craft bag. It is only natural for ZOS to deconstruct to grains since "grindy" seems to be the goal of this crafting system.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 15, 2018 12:45PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on October 15, 2018 6:08PM
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. I likely ignored the thread previously, as the large number of aggressively-toned threads on the forums lately have exhausted me. I find it doubtful that ZOS is going to change their system from grains to full platings. It would make little sense to require only four, or even eight easily acquired gold platings to upgrade to legendary, after we have had extremely expensive pieces for sale at the gold vendor, or gated behind veteran trials. For whatever reason, ZOS has decided that gold jewelry should be special, regardless of the minimal stat gains they provide.

And yes, the gold tempers are easy to acquire. I have 24 sitting in the bank, after having solved several master writs and improving a few pieces. That’s equivalent to 240 if they had dropped as full platings, not grains. My point is to make them reasonably challenging to acquire without the grind being onerous.

I do agree that both purple and gold grains (possibly between 0-5 of each) should both be dropped from daily writs, as well as increased grains (perhaps 0-3 with maximum passive) from refining though.