The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.3 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

Refreshing Path not good enough in Murkmire, obviously better skill choices

Mystrius_Archaion
Mystrius_Archaion
✭✭✭✭✭
Refreshing Path losing the damage and behaving how it does just made me decide to unslot it.
It seems that the Murkmire notes are undoing the healing nerf from live servers which would put the tooltip at about 1000 healing per second for my nightblade. That's just not good enough especially considering that the path doesn't place down where your cursor/crosshairs are facing and instead where the character is facing and it is too easy to run out of it left or right because it is crazy narrow. We're always moving out of the path, especially as melee/tank nightblades in more difficult content where the boss may have a big enough collision area that we can't get within the narroow field with it hogging the area(like how fat B'korgen is on Summerset).

I can slot the newly buffed Siphoning Strikes(edited here and below for brain fart) for more healing while doing damage while also costing less magicka. That's an obvious "no-brainer" that outclasses Refreshing Path. Don't dare nerf Siphoning Strikes just to try to get me to use Refreshing Path either as tanks need Siphoning Strikes as is as well as that nerf would fail to accomplish that goal and I would just lose another skill. I would also be likely to just shelve the whole game and find another.

I can slot Grand Healing from restoration staff for much more benefit, an extra 50% healing per second with better control and same or better duration due to placement making sense, while having the same cost in magicka. It's just better in any higher movement situation anyway.

I can slot Regeneration for 60% of the healing for about 62% of the cost for longer duration and guaranteed healing regardless of movement. Even though it is less healing, it's a very attractive option anywhere difficult and just plain easier than Refreshing Path while solo.

Refreshing Path isn't even a good ally heal because they have to be in front of us, in line with the enemy, to get healed at all. That's risky and too specific an area.

I'm having a hard time finding any benefit in Refreshing Path because it is such a small directional ground AoE. It seems like it was just redesigned as either an escape tool or a "can't mount in here" movement tool for the Elden Root upper floors for crafting writs and guild dailies. It doesn't seem useful in combat anymore.
I think Refreshing Path either needs to just be made a buff that sticks to players for full duration, like the change to templar's Rune Focus which isn't much smaller, or needs to be made a much bigger circular AoE so you can go any direction you need to, kind of like templar's Cleansing Ritual(which could use a buff to how often it ticks instead of every 2 seconds).

Refreshing Path is far too situational to be worth slotting now, because it requires the perfect situation in how we move and how allies move to actually work at full potential or even half potential. It's designed for a different type of game, a stand and "tank 'n spank" game.

Edit:
Twisting Path is far inferior to Wall of Elements also for similar reasons, but at least it is far superior to Refreshing Path because it is easier to get enemies to stay in damage than players to stay in healing how this works.

Edit 2:
Corrected references to "Siphon Spirit" to be "Siphoning Strikes".
Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on October 3, 2018 1:27AM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's Siphon Spirit? Never heard of it lol.
    Options
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a rule, stationary effects should be stronger than non-stationary effects, to reward the risk of having to correctly position it. When Refreshing Path, an ability that requires you to stand in it's small radius to receive the effect, is outhealed by Rapid Regeneration, a skill that's 100% cast-and-forget and requires zero positioning, something's wrong. I agree this needs to be addressed by the devs.
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on October 3, 2018 12:59AM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
    Options
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not liking the change to Refreshing Path at all. Just more SapTank nerfs - Mirage (rip evasion), Funnel Health (50% less damage) and Refreshing Path (zero damage).

It's pretty hard to "sap" the life out of your enemy when your skills do no damage...

Also who the hell cares about a small movement speed buff that only lasts while on and for a couple seconds after leaving the Path. Is everyone supposed to stand in the Path and run circles around each other to get the most benefit from the buff? lol
    Edited by N00BxV1 on October 3, 2018 1:35AM
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's Siphon Spirit? Never heard of it lol.

I edited it. I meant Siphoning Strikes. I always do that for some reason. LOL
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »
    Not liking the change to Refreshing Path at all. Just more SapTank nerfs - Mirage (rip evasion), Funnel Health (50% less damage) and Refreshing Path (zero damage).

It's pretty hard to "sap" the life out of your enemy when your skills do no damage...

Which is another point, Sap Essence could use some work, but in some situations it outclasses Refreshing Path also.

Edit:
    Technically, Sap Essence is at least decent damage for AoE spam. It is another point against Refreshing Path though considering a spammable point-blank-AoE is better at healing than a ground-HoT.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on October 3, 2018 1:49AM
    Options
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is another point, Sap Essence could use some work, but in some situations it outclasses Refreshing Path also.

And the other morph is getting a buff but not Sap Essence... /facepalm
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Healing Orb from the undaunted skill line suffers similar issues to Refreshing Path also, but that has a synergy that helps as well as seemingly affecting a larger circle area and moving forward for a long range. It has its uses and issues.
    Options
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the refreshing path change means I'll just swap it to twisting or slot something else. Makes no sense to me why they changed it as damaging to heal is nightblade's thing. The initial skill before morphing giving only a speed buff makes no sense either, what person is gonna look at that and go "aw yis i get a 2 sec speedy boost definitely using that". They wanted to make healers more wanted and viable, but apparently not nb healers looking at all these nerfs.
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stop it people, you're breaking my heart :heartbreak: I already made the graves for my NB Tank and Healer. Let me mourn in peace.

DojNtPDX0AAhhN8.jpg
    Edited by Silver_Strider on October 3, 2018 2:57AM
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop it people, you're breaking my heart :heartbreak: I already made the graves for my NB Tank and Healer. Let me morn in peace.

DojNtPDX0AAhhN8.jpg

They will rise again, since you buried them in a flood plain and bodies and caskets float. Just ask New Orleans where they bury everybody in above ground mausoleums because the water table is so high and in case of floods.

Seriously though, I hope they do rise again since I like the way some of the skills work, like Siphoning Strikes, and how it all looks with the darkness theme.

FYI, "mourn" is the correct spelling.
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stop it people, you're breaking my heart :heartbreak: I already made the graves for my NB Tank and Healer. Let me morn in peace.

DojNtPDX0AAhhN8.jpg

They will rise again, since you buried them in a flood plain and bodies and caskets float. Just ask New Orleans where they bury everybody in above ground mausoleums because the water table is so high and in case of floods.

Seriously though, I hope they do rise again since I like the way some of the skills work, like Siphoning Strikes, and how it all looks with the darkness theme.

FYI, "mourn" is the correct spelling.

I'm grieving, leave me alone :'(
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this skill is getting unslotted in both PvP and PvE after this patch. It simply isn't good enough to justify the slot (or even the GCD to cast it tbh).
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From my POV I want Refreshing Path to do some dmg just so it can count as a DoT. How much does’t really matter, it was pitiful since the last round of nerfs anyway
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree refreshing path is to small with the coming changes. It should be the same size as its sister morph with the PTS changes.

However, while you should find the HPS is a little more than 1k, comparing it to Grand healing is not a proper side by side. Grand healing duration is much shorter so for the cost it should have a higher HPS.
    Options
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refreshing path (as it is now on live) is a much needed utility skill for stamblades. It's important to look at 'how' this skill is used in order to understand it's value to stamblades like me:

Many stamblades are soloists (pve) and as such it isn't easy for us to sustain. Judging our ability to sustain based on target dummy parsing, ganker (pvp) builds, or builds that engage in vanilla pve content paints a false picture. It is difficult for stamblades to engage in (solo) sustained combat - a problem that began with the Morrowind patch.

Fast forward to today - stamblade sustain is going through another round of nerfs - our most powerful ability has virtually doubled in cost (nearly 4K stamina assuming the spectral bow procs 2x per cast) and our spammable execute got a 30% cost increase. Speed buff nerfs end up putting additional pressure on our ability to sustain.

What about heavy attacking? The bottom line is that you can't always heavy attack (multiple mobs clawing at your ankles, or too much 'red on the ground', etc.) When you can't heavy attack to regen stamina AND when you are low on health, you generally kite (trying to create distance between you and the mob in order to get a few tics of regen before re-engaging). But, kiting means sprinting and that costs stamina.

This is where the utility of refreshing path (with the DOT) comes in -

You cast refreshing path in front of you as you are running - the short speed boost helps you gain a some distance between you and the mob chasing you, but not very much. But, if you are wearing Bahraha's Curse, the DOT from refreshing path will often trigger the armor set to proc ... the armor set procs a speed trap which briefly slows down the enemy. Now you can get a sufficient amount of distance, if only for a short amount of time. The small stamblade heal from refreshing path isn't much (maybe 400 hp or so), but ... when Bahraha's procs, you also get a small heal from that ... these two heals combined are usually enough to tide you over until you can cast vigor and re-engage in combat (or wait till your potion timer is up so you can use a pot to heal/replenish stamina).

Sustain has been a real issue ever since Morrowind and while it's improved slightly, it's still a major issue ... something we struggle with all the time. The amount of ridicule on the forums is horrendous when the 'sustain topic' is brought up by a NB, so it is seldom brought up. Many of my 'fellow-forum warriors' don't understand how difficult it is for us to sustain (in the situation previously described). Creativity only takes you so far when it comes to figuring out work-arounds to the sustain issue. What I describe has been a 'do-able' work-around ... as you can see from my description there's nothing OP or over the top in having refreshing path also deal damage ... having it do both is vitally needed for this 'impossible to replace' class utility skill that stamblades (like me) need.

So, please don't remove the damage refreshing path causes.
    Note: I have gone through many iterations of many builds ... when you solo more difficult pve content there is a delicate balance and difficult choices to be made in terms of max resources, resource regen, weapon damage, penetration, resistance, etc ... the key is 'balance' and simply upping one stat as a way of compensating ends up creating 'imbalance' and, with it, more problems in the long run. Just saying.
    Edited by Maryal on October 3, 2018 10:19AM
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Refreshing Path needs to apply Minor Lifesteal, Major Expedition to all enemies/allies on the path.

Twisting Path needs to apply Minor Maim, Major Expedition to all enemies/alllies on the path.

And they both need to do some value of damage even if it's negligible for Refreshing Path.
    Edited by brandonv516 on October 3, 2018 12:36PM
    Options
  • ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that refreshing path needs to keep the damage portion, the skill as it is on live doesn't do great damage, doesn't give great heals, gives short duration major expedition, but all those things combined gives it great utility.
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Made it useless on nb tank :(
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is a lot of words op and I am still not 100% what the problem is. Twisting=DPS, refreshing=healers/tanks. If your main complaint as a healer using refreshing path is your team has to be in front of you, you are bad healer, as your team ought to be in front of you because of combat prayer.

You also can't compare springs. That is a spammable that stacks with itself. Regeneration is also not really comparable, you would have to cast regeneration 3 times to heal as many people as you can with one cast of refreshing path, as all AOE heals have a cap of 6 people healed at once. Comparing it to cleansing ritual is no bueno too, cleansing ticks every 2 seconds, refreshing hits every second. the areaof refreshing/twisting is the same size and wall and the same size as combat prayer, both of which have no trouble hitting their intended targets. And you are going to give everyone in it the major buff for speed.

Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on October 3, 2018 2:07PM
    Options
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    That is a lot of words op and I am still not 100% what the problem is. Twisting=DPS, refreshing=healers/tanks. If your main complaint as a healer using refreshing path is your team has to be in front of you, you are bad healer, as your team ought to be in front of you because of combat prayer.

You also can't compare springs. That is a spammable that stacks with itself. Regeneration is also not really comparable, you would have to cast regeneration 3 times to heal as many people as you can with one cast of refreshing path, as all AOE heals have a cap of 6 people healed at once. Comparing it to cleansing ritual is no bueno too, cleansing ticks every 2 seconds, refreshing hits every second. the areaof refreshing/twisting is the same size and wall and the same size as combat prayer, both of which have no trouble hitting their intended targets. And you are going to give everyone in it the major buff for speed.

Have to agree with him.
    Healers should not be useless and this was a necessary change to achieve this.
    There are so many other meaningless NB nerfs.
    This one I can agree with at least.
    PTS-EU
    Options
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    Refreshing path (as it is now on live) is a much needed utility skill for stamblades. It's important to look at 'how' this skill is used in order to understand it's value to stamblades like me:

Many stamblades are soloists (pve) and as such it isn't easy for us to sustain. Judging our ability to sustain based on target dummy parsing, ganker (pvp) builds, or builds that engage in vanilla pve content paints a false picture. It is difficult for stamblades to engage in (solo) sustained combat - a problem that began with the Morrowind patch.

Fast forward to today - stamblade sustain is going through another round of nerfs - our most powerful ability has virtually doubled in cost (nearly 4K stamina assuming the spectral bow procs 2x per cast) and our spammable execute got a 30% cost increase. Speed buff nerfs end up putting additional pressure on our ability to sustain.

What about heavy attacking? The bottom line is that you can't always heavy attack (multiple mobs clawing at your ankles, or too much 'red on the ground', etc.) When you can't heavy attack to regen stamina AND when you are low on health, you generally kite (trying to create distance between you and the mob in order to get a few tics of regen before re-engaging). But, kiting means sprinting and that costs stamina.

You cast refreshing path in front of you as you are running - the short speed boost helps you gain a some distance between you and the mob chasing you, but not very much. But, if you are wearing Bahraha's Curse, the DOT from refreshing path will often trigger the armor set to proc ... the armor set procs a speed trap which briefly slows down the enemy. Now you can get a sufficient amount of distance, if only for a short amount of time. The small stamblade heal from refreshing path isn't much (maybe 400 hp or so), but ... when Bahraha's procs, you also get a small heal from that ... these two heals combined are usually enough to tide you over until you can cast vigor and re-engage in combat (or wait till your potion timer is up so you can use a pot to heal/replenish stamina).

Sustain has been a real issue ever since Morrowind and while it's improved slightly, it's still a major issue ... something we struggle with all the time. The amount of ridicule on the forums is horrendous when the 'sustain topic' is brought up by a NB, so it is seldom brought up. Many of my 'fellow-forum warriors' don't understand how difficult it is for us to sustain (in the situation previously described). Creativity only takes you so far when it comes to figuring out work-arounds to the sustain issue. What I describe has been a 'do-able' work-around ... as you can see from my description there's nothing OP or over the top in having refreshing path also deal damage ... having it do both is vitally needed for this 'impossible to replace' class utility skill that stamblades (like me) need.

Note: I have gone through many iterations of many builds ... when you solo more difficult pve content there is a delicate balance and difficult choices to be made in terms of max resources, resource regen, weapon damage, penetration, resistance, etc ... the key is 'balance' and simply upping one stat as a way of compensating ends up creating 'imbalance' and, with it, more problems in the long run. Just saying.

Whatever you do is somehow weird.
    I can understand what you mean but you do it the most complicated way somone has ever attempted.
    Most players prefer the easy way to get scores over 600k im vMA what in my opinion is the hardest solo content in the entire game.
    PTS-EU
    Options
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the counter synergy here that ESO has... basically you have a tiny heal area which when you step on you can get out of faster... what's the point of it?

If they really want it to be a comparable heal to energy orb or healing springs it needs to trigger the heal every 0.5 seconds and the area of coverage needs to be radically increased. As it is this has no place on a bar.

Neither does funnel health. The damage is pitiful and you're better off just doing an attack + healing springs.

Drain Power already didn't heal enough either to justify inclusion for a healer and posed extra risk of putting yourself in the frontline unless it was on a niche dps build.

The only skill right now that "defines" and is worthy of inclusion on a NB healer right now is Healthy Offering. That's it... 1 skill.

They have removed the hybrid healer dps build that made a NB a successful off-heal and fun to play with. NB has two build right now, stam dps and mag dps. Everything else is getting removed if they implement this patch.

Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

By this logic, Cleansing Ritual and morphs should be given a similar treatment to Path. Remove the base heal from Cleansing, leaving only the purge Synergy to keep it as utility, much like Path only provides Major Expedition at base form. Ritual of Retribution should lose all healing it does for damage effects, save the purge synergy and Extended Ritual should have the HoT.

The trade off here being that Ritual has a much bigger radius so it only heals every 2 seconds vs Path healing every 1 second.

Such fun for all.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on October 3, 2018 3:24PM
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HuawaSepp wrote: »
    Maryal wrote: »

Whatever you do is somehow weird.
    I can understand what you mean but you do it the most complicated way somone has ever attempted.
    Most players prefer the easy way to get scores over 600k im vMA what in my opinion is the hardest solo content in the entire game.

I'm not talking about vMA - I'm talking about soloing difficult content - like soloing difficult group dungeons (start out soloing base game group dungeons on normal, then when you've mastered that, move up to vet. All the base game group dungeons can be soloed (except the ones that require 2 people to trigger a mechanic). I've also soloed parts of AA as well the first part of Hel Ra (from the long bridge up to, but not including, the first boss (actually farming there). I also try to solo as much as much of the dlc dungeons as I can.

Soloing content is challenging and exciting (medium armor non-tank build ... dual wield front bar, bow back bar) . At first it seems near impossible to do (especially on a stamblade), kind of like Dark Souls. But when you finally complete it, OMG! It's the best feeling in the world (well, almost the best ... a roll in the sheets is better).
    Edited by Maryal on October 3, 2018 3:42PM
    Options
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The size of refreshing is the biggest problem, especially with the major expedition it applies. If the tank taps left or right he will be sprinting out of the heal. Then there is the lost agro effect from the dot. This damage tick used to help keep mobs attacking you, and that's now removed.

Then there is the getting knocked back and off your path (remember some class tanks can't permablock)

It should grant immovable to all on the path if it's staying that small.
    Edited by aeowulf on October 3, 2018 5:31PM
    Options
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ixie wrote: »
    I agree that refreshing path needs to keep the damage portion, the skill as it is on live doesn't do great damage, doesn't give great heals, gives short duration major expedition, but all those things combined gives it great utility.

@ZOS_RobGarrett please help retain part of our class identity
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

By this logic, Cleansing Ritual and morphs should be given a similar treatment to Path. Remove the base heal from Cleansing, leaving only the purge Synergy to keep it as utility, much like Path only provides Major Expedition at base form. Ritual of Retribution should lose all healing it does for damage effects, save the purge synergy and Extended Ritual should have the HoT.

The trade off here being that Ritual has a much bigger radius so it only heals every 2 seconds vs Path healing every 1 second.

Such fun for all.

I would rather it went back to the way it was. Base morph is 2 debuff purged and 12 second heal(6 ticks), morph one is 5 debuffs purged on the 12 second heal(6 ticks again) and extended is 2 debuffs on a 24 second heal (12 ticks of healing). I was never a fan of damage in a heal tree. Again though, magic templar DPS never used ritual of retribution, just look around at DPS Templar builds, none of them had the skill on their bar. EVERY magic based nightblade had refreshing path. That is how good it was.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on October 3, 2018 5:56PM
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This skill is conceptually strong but is falling short in execution. Maj Expedition for everyone in the path that lingers for two seconds. It could use a few team buffs like 100 extra regen in each stat for those sitting in the path (excluding the caster, would make NB healers more desireable) to help give it some identity.

It is by no means bad, but it's not done, either.
    Options
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why is this a facepalm?

Power Extraction is garbage. Literally the only reason to use it is if you can't get Major Brutality elsewhere.

Power Extraction does not heal like Sap Essence and it does terrible damage compared to Steel Tornado. It is horrible, probably one of the least-used skills in the game.
    Edited by LiquidPony on October 3, 2018 6:12PM
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Why is this a facepalm?

Power Extraction is garbage. Literally the only reason to use it is if you can't get Major Brutality elsewhere.

Power Extraction does not heal like Sap Essence and it does terrible damage compared to Steel Tornado. It is horrible, probably one of the least-used skills in the game.

Power extraction is cheaper, gives ulti on use and procs the disease status effect (also 8% max magic but Stam builds don't really care about that). It also procs enchants and the ax bleed. Power extraction also was more DPS above ~70% health, now that will be closer to ~50% health. Power extraction is a very underrated skill. I used it all the time on my stamblade.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on October 3, 2018 6:58PM
    Options