Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[NA PC] Why do people choose to play in horrendous lag over playing in Shor?

LeifErickson
LeifErickson
✭✭✭✭✭
I honestly don't get it. Why is Shor such a joke? I don't understand how people choose to play in Vivec over moving to Shor when you literally CAN'T USE ABILITIES in Vivec. How is that fun? It makes no sense at all. Is the campaign score really that big of a deal to people that they would rather get a light attack and maybe an ability off every 3 seconds or so then play in Shor where there isn't lag? And if that is the case (as that's the only reason I see for why people don't go to Shor), why don't people care about the Shor campaign? All I want is to be able to play this game at prime time but sadly right now my options are walking simulator or don't use abilities.
  • crazy_catman21
    crazy_catman21
    ✭✭✭
    Population
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8X
    Edited by BRogueNZ on September 30, 2018 7:03AM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the consistency, combat diversity, activity and ecosystem of the 'main' 30 day campaigns. Unfortunately, a price to be paid for those things is lag; occasionally, crippling lag.

Also, each campaign cycle has its own personality. Because of the factors listed above, there's a greater opportunity to develop an array of different types of spoken and unspoken camaraderies, rivalries and stories that are enjoyable to participate in and observe. So I prefer to focus my attention on one campaign, even at the cost of performance.

I think combat is just one of many major facets of what makes AvA enjoyable. To me, part of that is being focused on one campaign. So even when combat performance is poor, a fight can be fun in other ways.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't get it. Why is Shor such a joke? I don't understand how people choose to play in Vivec over moving to Shor when you literally CAN'T USE ABILITIES in Vivec. How is that fun? It makes no sense at all. Is the campaign score really that big of a deal to people that they would rather get a light attack and maybe an ability off every 3 seconds or so then play in Shor where there isn't lag? And if that is the case (as that's the only reason I see for why people don't go to Shor), why don't people care about the Shor campaign? All I want is to be able to play this game at prime time but sadly right now my options are walking simulator or don't use abilities.

Leaderboards and getting a good enough ranking to earn gold rewards and money at the end of the campaign. Everyone has told Zos over and over to scrap the 7 day campaign and open a second 30 days. But in typical Zos fashion they refuse to listen. + what the guy above said. When lag is bad I just play a different game or do something else like go outside. I'd rather spend my time doing something fun then wander around an empty campaign or deal with premades humping towers in shor. Or be frustrated with lag.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there's little competition in Shor for an organized guild raid.

A guild in Vicec that swaps to Shor usually dominates the map unless other enemy guilds swap to fight them. Its pretty hard to coordinate enemy guilds going to Shor.

That's not fun for the regulars on Shor. Thats not fun for the guild from Vivec.

So in the interests of having fun and having competition, we stay in Vivec.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shor used to be good. Then a few of the small guilds dropped out, the population dropped, and it stopped being viable.

Now everytime I go to Shor to escape Vivec lag, I get chased by a 20+ man groups with all the scroll and emp buffs and still lag (but not as badly). The other action on the map is small groups farming Recruits and Tyros.
  • helios777
    helios777
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Shor used to be good. Then a few of the small guilds dropped out, the population dropped, and it stopped being viable.

Now everytime I go to Shor to escape Vivec lag, I get chased by a 20+ man groups with all the scroll and emp buffs and still lag (but not as badly). The other action on the map is small groups farming Recruits and Tyros.

^This
    Grand Warlord HAXERUS. One of the last OG Mag DKs.
    Mag DK through Thick and Thin.
    Retired from Cyrodiil until they finally decide to fix the performance, which is probably never.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. And having been in the 20+ man group, its not all that much fun from that side of doing the chsing either.

I'd much rather be in a raid facing other raids in Vivec than in a raid facing small groups or solo players in Shor.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 30, 2018 5:20PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those 20+ man groups that always claim it's not fun to chase random players will still chase you all over the map in Vivec, too, spamming CCs until you get stunlocked. But at least you have a chance of running into a friendly group coming the other way. :cold_sweat:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 20+ man groups that always claim it's not fun to chase random players will still chase you all over the map in Vivec, too, spamming CCs until you get stunlocked. But at least you have a chance of running into a friendly group coming the other way. :cold_sweat:

Sure. Gotta make sure you arent running away to set up a camp :)
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 days standard is the only one that matters.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play 7 days way before but my experience almost always has been: 1. Emp trading guilds that will go on lengths to make sure you are not on the leaderboard. 2. One faction too dominant. And when it is my faction dominating, it is like 0 action. 3. Farming or get farmed. So yeah, I much prefer 30 days despite being lagfest.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a narrative in Viv, which is sometimes appealing.

Shor, whenever there is actual people from more than one faction on, feels like a freshly created sever spun up for the night with no strings attached.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »
    There is a narrative in Viv, which is sometimes appealing.

Shor, whenever there is actual people from more than one faction on, feels like a freshly created sever spun up for the night with no strings attached.

Basically one night stand server.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • enzoisadog
    enzoisadog
    ✭✭✭✭
    They care about the campaign. Thats the only reason.
    NA-PC
    Ballgroup enjoyer also known as the best ballgroup player.
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shor left a bad taste in my mouth a few times. Would rather do sotha as a back up campaign.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some builds and abilities are actually more effective in lag

For instance, snipe spammers do better in lag because they are cloaked before the start of the fight.. so even if there’s a 3s delay on their snipe, it won’t matter since their target can’t see them. But then the target has a 3s delay on reacting to the snipe... gg.

Destro ult, similarly, is not a burst dmg or ground target skill. Even if you mistime it, it’ll kick in eventually and then it won’t really matter
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• _Crow
    _Crow
    ✭✭✭
    People like playing with lots of other people. That's why everyone is on one campaign. Because they want to play with the maximum amount of people on the map. And because zergs and huge guild v guild fights are what most people want, which is why everyone plays here....
    GM: Army of the Pact
    Loves War almost as much as Tbagging
    -Crow, Mag DK
    -Murder of Crows, Stam Warden
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% of the player base are clueless pvpers, therefore they prefer to run in big groups so they can "compete", which means they dont even care if the ping is 800 while spamming 1 button.

I tried playing in Shor, it was really fun spending 4 hours looking for 1 lame fight.
    Edited by amir412 on October 2, 2018 8:21AM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someday when Zenimax decides to do things right, maybe the population will rise again and we will be able to afford splitting medium to large guilds across 2 different campaigns and have challenging fights on both side.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up about that one.
    There are probably more chances to find gold at the end of the rainbow at this point.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just spent a couple of hours in Shor tonight (my home campaign) and while i agree that there generally isn't much lag i had trouble with abilities not firing all night.

At one point i was up on a keep wall trying to attack 3 enemy players that had setup siege outside and all my char did was wiggle spastically as the attack animation interrupted itself constantly.
    They were right in front of me and of course *their* attacks landed just fine, but i couldn't even get my ultimate to fire.

It was like that all night, just horrible, but hey, at least there wasn't any lag ...
    headbang.gif
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Just spent a couple of hours in Shor tonight (my home campaign) and while i agree that there generally isn't much lag i had trouble with abilities not firing all night.

At one point i was up on a keep wall trying to attack 3 enemy players that had setup siege outside and all my char did was wiggle spastically as the attack animation interrupted itself constantly.
    They were right in front of me and of course *their* attacks landed just fine, but i couldn't even get my ultimate to fire.

It was like that all night, just horrible, but hey, at least there wasn't any lag ...
    headbang.gif

The latency has been much worse for the past 3weeks. I don't know what they did exactly but they made a drastic change that impacted performances badly. Last Saturday, without even exagerating, I could spend 10-12 seconds spamming one skill and I would see my character doing half of the animation and failing over and over and over again.

And this is why a hotfix (something pushed on the server without a maintenance) should be mentioned in the patch notes no matter what so players providing feedback could make the relation with a recent change.

With almost no Zenimax employee actively pvping, it makes such things much harder to comprehend and the longer it stays unfixed, the harder it is to associate what the problem was originally.
    Edited by frozywozy on October 2, 2018 9:46AM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

headbang.gif

Were they standing inside their siege? Trebs lately seem to have a wonky LoS check, and you can't hit people if they are standing in certain places near it, but they can still hit you.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

headbang.gif

Because “up on a keep wall” is the unofficial motto of shor.
    Edited by caeliusstarbreaker on October 2, 2018 4:14PM
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »

headbang.gif

The latency has been much worse for the past 3weeks. I don't know what they did exactly but they made a drastic change that impacted performances badly. Last Saturday, without even exagerating, I could spend 10-12 seconds spamming one skill and I would see my character doing half of the animation and failing over and over and over again.

And this is why a hotfix (something pushed on the server without a maintenance) should be mentioned in the patch notes no matter what so players providing feedback could make the relation with a recent change.

With almost no Zenimax employee actively pvping, it makes such things much harder to comprehend and the longer it stays unfixed, the harder it is to associate what the problem was originally.

ZOS has a tendancy to neglect live server maintenance during PTS cycles. For the last year, it seems that while the PTS is active, the lag on the live server just gets worse without really getting any better.

Some of this is anecdotal, sure, but remember back when we had weekly maintenance? It was at least more bearable then.
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag and performance is bad most of the time regardless of the campaign, so slightly less *** gameplay is not worth the population drop.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anrose wrote: »

headbang.gif

ZOS has a tendancy to neglect live server maintenance during PTS cycles. For the last year, it seems that while the PTS is active, the lag on the live server just gets worse without really getting any better.

Some of this is anecdotal, sure, but remember back when we had weekly maintenance? It was at least more bearable then.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there maintenance yesterday?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were they standing inside their siege? Trebs lately seem to have a wonky LoS check, and you can't hit people if they are standing in certain places near it, but they can still hit you.

At times, but even when they were running around and were well within range, my skills still wouldn't fire.
    Just couldn't get a lock on them. It was rather frustrating ....
    dry.gif
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The latency has been much worse for the past 3weeks. I don't know what they did exactly but they made a drastic change that impacted performances badly.
    Because the PTS is active, and of course it shares resources with the live cyrodiil campaigns. That's the belief at least, don't know if it's confirmed. It's become a recognizable pattern prior to the quarterly updates though.

AD still dominates Sotha in NA prime time but let me give you a pro tip, they are terrible when not using siege. We have a decent DC population but if you are looking for something to do in prime time as an EP player there's opportunities here. Typically it starts out 3 bars AD to 2 bars each of the other factions, later on in the evening AD may jump to lock, DC may jump to 3 bars, EP may drop to 1 bar. TM has mostly been playing DC the last couple months and it's been a lot of fun. Main thing is learning to dance around the siege dots and staying mobile. While the AD are generally terrible off their siege they do bring numbers and they can put an awful lot of siege down quickly. BUT we don't really suffer from a lot of load screens or crashes for the most part, and still get decent frames and not an excessive amount of lag in bigger fights.

So that's my pitch for Sotha
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    The latency has been much worse for the past 3weeks. I don't know what they did exactly but they made a drastic change that impacted performances badly.
    Because the PTS is active, and of course it shares resources with the live cyrodiil campaigns. That's the belief at least, don't know if it's confirmed. It's become a recognizable pattern prior to the quarterly updates though.

AD still dominates Sotha in NA prime time but let me give you a pro tip, they are terrible when not using siege. We have a decent DC population but if you are looking for something to do in prime time as an EP player there's opportunities here. Typically it starts out 3 bars AD to 2 bars each of the other factions, later on in the evening AD may jump to lock, DC may jump to 3 bars, EP may drop to 1 bar. TM has mostly been playing DC the last couple months and it's been a lot of fun. Main thing is learning to dance around the siege dots and staying mobile. While the AD are generally terrible off their siege they do bring numbers and they can put an awful lot of siege down quickly. BUT we don't really suffer from a lot of load screens or crashes for the most part, and still get decent frames and not an excessive amount of lag in bigger fights.

So that's my pitch for Sotha

I hop on Sotha every now and then but it seems to me you need an optimized group to do well there. It's also incredibly unbalanced and it seems like people are afraid to leave their giant groups there. But ya it beats not being able to play.