Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shield Mechanic Clarification Questions Regarding Proc Sets

IAVITNI
IAVITNI
✭✭✭✭✭
Since Shields are effectively becoming burst over-heals, i.e. they behave the same as health with the exceptions that they cannot crit nor be affected by Defile, will sets the proc by being damaged work with shields. For example; Pirate Skeleton, Desert Rose, Blood Spawn, Fury, 7th Legion etc.

Also, while it seems like a logical assumption to me, it is never explicitly stated that penetration affects shields. Can someone clarify?
Updated the behavior of all damage shields.
You can now deal a Critical Strike against an enemy with a damage shield.
Your Spell and Physical Resistance now reduces incoming damage before it is applied to your damage shield.
Developer Comment:
Spoiler
This change makes damage shields function more consistently with the rest of the game’s mechanics. It means that damage shields are more powerful in PvE content since monsters generally don’t reduce armor. Heavy Armor players in particular will receive much more effective damage shields now. This is intended to make damage shields a more potent tools for tanks. We will be monitoring this change closely throughout the PTS cycle and will make adjustments as necessary.

In addition to this change, there are several other damage shield adjustments listed below in the specific abilities section.
Poisons and Weapon Enchantments can now proc even if the damage done by the Light Attack, Heavy Attack, or Weapon Ability is fully absorbed by a damage shield.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not unless the shield breaks, because technically, you are not taking damage at that point.

I suspect since shields inherit your resistances, and pen affects those resistances, Pen will likely further debuff shields (though not as much as on live, since they're already at zero).
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields are not the same as heals. They do not replace lost HP, but stack on top of our HP as effective max health.

The second most obvious point that differentiates them from heals besides not replacing lost HP is that they have a place in the order of damage mitigation factors before our character takes damage whereas heals do not.
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Shields are not the same as heals. They do not replace lost HP, but stack on top of our HP as effective max health.

The second most obvious point that differentiates them from heals besides not replacing lost HP is that they have a place in the order of damage mitigation factors before our character takes damage whereas heals do not.

Effective health of a shield user with 1 shield can be said to be around 28k-30k. So popping a shield is the same as an ~8k breath of life for most intents and purposes, hence shields behaving, to an extent, as nothing more than effective health except for the factors I outlined in the op.

That order of damage mitigation is made significantly less relevant due to the crit and resistances changes.

I could easily argue that shields are just a way to increase a light armors health pool for 6 seconds, translating to the fact that if a light user fails to cast a shield they are fighting with 8k less effective health. The balance to this is that light users don't need to spec into Health.

So what is the reasoning for shields not procing the sets mentioned in the OP? What is the balancing factor?
    1. Shields cannot crit but can be crit = Not affected by Defile (this is poor balance imo, but the closest justification that currently exists)
    2. Shields act as an effective Health pool increase that requires constant maintenance = Not having to invest into actual Health, meaning sustain/damage etc increases
    3. Shields do not actually take you out of execute range=Can be precast (but this overlaps with point 2, so is this really balanced?)
    4. Shields cannot proc on-hit effects=????

I'm sure you were aware of what I meant. Why argue semantics.
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not unless the shield breaks, because technically, you are not taking damage at that point.

I suspect since shields inherit your resistances, and pen affects those resistances, Pen will likely further debuff shields (though not as much as on live, since they're already at zero).

That's what I assume too. But again, it'snot explicitly stated anywhere in the notes.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IAVITNI wrote: »
    Since Shields are effectively becoming burst over-heals, i.e. they behave the same as health with the exceptions that they cannot crit nor be affected by Defile, will sets the proc by being damaged work with shields. For example; Pirate Skeleton, Desert Rose, Blood Spawn, Fury, 7th Legion etc.

Also, while it seems like a logical assumption to me, it is never explicitly stated that penetration affects shields. Can someone clarify?
    Your Spell and Physical Resistance now reduces incoming damage before it is applied to your damage shield.
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler
    This change makes damage shields function more consistently with the rest of the game’s mechanics. It means that damage shields are more powerful in PvE content since monsters generally don’t reduce armor. Heavy Armor players in particular will receive much more effective damage shields now. This is intended to make damage shields a more potent tools for tanks. We will be monitoring this change closely throughout the PTS cycle and will make adjustments as necessary.

In addition to this change, there are several other damage shield adjustments listed below in the specific abilities section.
    Poisons and Weapon Enchantments can now proc even if the damage done by the Light Attack, Heavy Attack, or Weapon Ability is fully absorbed by a damage shield.

It's my understanding that all those things that proc from damage already proc when shields are hit -except pirate skeleton, as it was changed specifically to appease all the sorc-haters.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

It's my understanding that all those things that proc from damage already proc when shields are hit -except pirate skeleton, as it was changed specifically to appease all the sorc-haters.

Hrmm may have just assumed that all those sets changed with Pirate Skeleton. Mag Sorc meta has been so stale that despite it being my main class I stopped build testing. Ty.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

Hrmm may have just assumed that all those sets changed with Pirate Skeleton. Mag Sorc meta has been so stale that despite it being my main class I stopped build testing. Ty.

Yeah, I pretty much did too. An easy test is recov from constitution. It definitely used to proc from shield hits.. I'm only assuming it still does.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.