The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

If shield stacking is so overpowered why isnt every magicka player doing it?

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shields provide the best mitigation hands down. Cloak has too many hard counters to be called op. Drop a flare/mage light/detect potion/evil hunter/ aoe around yourself/ and you negate cloak.

Stam characters cannot begin to hope to tank content that shielded dps characters can. Shields are far better in PVE. They are also better in PvP. Crit surge (or whatever magick equivalent is) is all the heal you need.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about you, but they do mainly. Templar goes more towards light + % mitigation since they can purge the effects that hurt a slightly more tanky playsty;e, but warden, DK, nightblade all light+shields. Heavy sucks far too much for mag, you lose a lot of sustain, if you try to run a melee weapon so you lose weave power, pure dmg, heavy attacks sustain, and there are no sets like mag fury.

Not to mention how the meta is stacked up vs tanky builds with bleeds/defiles, even though temps can purge it and go more tanky they still shy away from heavy

Light+shields for the majority is just better.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have increased magic buffs. Gives them more magic. They also have REALLY strong burst. Best defense is strong burst.

After playing my full divines magplar with total dark, dark flare and radiant destruction I can attest to this fact. I survive more due to the burst I lay down...and range...that helps a *** ton.

I'd say the absolute BEST defense is simply put...LOS and running away. There is nothing that saves my ass more
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shields OP? We still on this? Gives sorcs a reliable self heal, or a cloak, or some proper dmg mitigation. My own Mag Sorc nearly never use shields unless under extreme pressure, I've figured dodge roll is alot better too use to avoid dmg. As I can AC a ability into the dodgeroll, its just superior in todays burst meta than shields will ever be.

Even in PvE I'd rather use dodge rolls than shields for heavy hitting attacks.

Why this outcry on shields all of a sudden? The power creep has allready gone beyond normal shields.

And before the ever dumb phrase "sorcs only need mag, and mag boost attack and defense"

- Spell dmg = dmg
    - Mag = shields and bigger pools and abit dmg.
    - And we need stam, as people say here. A mag sorc with less than 9k stam is a bad sorc.

So with your AVG sorc build got 35k mag, around 30k in BGs does not give shields useable for anything else than scratching for a few more secs before the recap shows up.
    Edited by Kikke on August 24, 2018 4:01PM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    They have increased magic buffs. Gives them more magic. They also have REALLY strong burst. Best defense is strong burst.

After playing my full divines magplar with total dark, dark flare and radiant destruction I can attest to this fact. I survive more due to the burst I lay down...and range...that helps a *** ton.

I'd say the absolute BEST defense is simply put...LOS and running away. There is nothing that saves my ass more

The man. The myth. The legend.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If MagDKs were so powerful when the game released, why wasn't everyone playing one?"
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wardens & DKs have best shields in the game. DKs shields stacking is ridiculous on top of heavy armor.
    You must be special.
    Shield stacking is not possible in heavy as a DK or Warden.
    Harness magicka requires five light.
    And no, wings aint the same as shields you ***.
    It only work against a few projectiles and does nothing versus melee attacks.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 27, 2018 11:30PM