Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

March of Sacrifices - am I the only idiot who can't see traps?

Slothylicious
Slothylicious
✭✭
So when the hunt happens, people can see traps from a far as a dim blue light.

When I watch a video or a stream of someone doing it, I can see that on their screen. I know what it looks like.

But when I'm in game, I can't see anything at all unless I'm literally on top of the trap and can see it directly (it's not lost in the fog).

I've tried pushing my screen's brightness and changed some video setting but to no avail.

Is it a settings problem? A bug?

I've seen no thread so far reporting this either, am I the only one?

Help!
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an issue with either your video card or your game installation. I would recommend updating your drivers and running a repair or reinstalling the game.

That being said, I had a similar issue on my old PC where I was not able to see the flames when Galchobhar blows up the whole island in Bloodroot Forge. Luckily there is a red indicator before, and a black smoke effect after that I could use to determine when it was safe. For a long time I didn’t know I was seeing anything strange, until I finally saw a video where the flames were visible. Never did determine the cause, but a PC upgrade fixed it for me in the end.
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you crouching?
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's something with your video settings.

Our tank couldn't see them at first, either. And then he made a bunch of changes to his video settings (he basically copied the settings of one of us), and then he was able to.

Unfortunately, since he changed a whole bunch of settings all at once, we don't know which change(s) fixed the problem.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to see and also does not seem to spawn right away when the fog starts. We tend to all follow the guy who is indicated and start kiting right away to get the boss squarely behind for when we actually find the thing.

I am not looking forward to dealing with random handsey perma-stun stranglers who have a good bit of health during this. The long duration slowing wolves are bad enough.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    It is hard to see and also does not seem to spawn right away when the fog starts. We tend to all follow the guy who is indicated and start kiting right away to get the boss squarely behind for when we actually find the thing.

I am not looking forward to dealing with random handsey perma-stun stranglers who have a good bit of health during this. The long duration slowing wolves are bad enough.

The stranglers are so annoying. Sometimes they take you right out of nowhere and wipe the group...
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Slothylicious
    Slothylicious
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Our tank couldn't see them at first, either. And then he made a bunch of changes to his video settings (he basically copied the settings of one of us), and then he was able to.

Unfortunately, since he changed a whole bunch of settings all at once, we don't know which change(s) fixed the problem.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I guess.

Although from the other threads it seems that the devs could make some changes to the fight so maybe I'll wait until then. Not sure I want to complete it with the dubious skippable hunts and the bugged no death.
    Sounds like an issue with either your video card or your game installation. I would recommend updating your drivers and running a repair or reinstalling the game.

That being said, I had a similar issue on my old PC where I was not able to see the flames when Galchobhar blows up the whole island in Bloodroot Forge. Luckily there is a red indicator before, and a black smoke effect after that I could use to determine when it was safe. For a long time I didn’t know I was seeing anything strange, until I finally saw a video where the flames were visible. Never did determine the cause, but a PC upgrade fixed it for me in the end.

Strange. Maybe it's a problem of that sort, I don't know. I'll try updating my drivers. Thanks.

See it's not that I find them difficult to see, when people point me in their direction there's really nothing there at all. And yeah the stranglers are a bit much. I hope they reduce their range a bit or something.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I'll try that next time I guess.

Although from the other threads it seems that the devs could make some changes to the fight so maybe I'll wait until then. Not sure I want to complete it with the dubious skippable hunts and the bugged no death.

Strange. Maybe it's a problem of that sort, I don't know. I'll try updating my drivers. Thanks.

See it's not that I find them difficult to see, when people point me in their direction there's really nothing there at all. And yeah the stranglers are a bit much. I hope they reduce their range a bit or something.

I saw in the notes that they reduced the stranglers health. Probably a good thing. One consistent issues ZOS has is adds with way too much health. This really leaves the only options of dealing with adds to be cleaving them with AOE while targeting the boss or ignoring them altogether and trying to burn the boss. This does not work in many situations such as moving adds or this one with the stranglers. Adds have just generally been more and more poorly scaled as damage has moved to more ground DOT and less direct damage.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Slothylicious
    Slothylicious
    ✭✭
    Update: Code I followed your advice today

Copied video settings from someone who could see the traps and it worked. Seems it's indeed tied to video settings.

Thanks for your help.
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could somehow figure out exactly which setting did the trick, it could help people down the line.
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • Slothylicious
    Slothylicious
    ✭✭
    If you could somehow figure out exactly which setting did the trick, it could help people down the line.

I wish I could but it's hard to pinpoint without changing the settings one by one, I'll try next time.

The only thing I'm sure about is that I turned vertical sync on.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's related to "view distance" - that is also the setting that allows you to see resource nodes and other "interactables" farther in the distance.

So if I'm not mistaken, sliding your "view distance" slider farther up, increases the distance at which you are able to see stuff like resource nodes and trap rings in the distance, before they reach the limit where they stop rendering at all.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: Code I followed your advice today

Copied video settings from someone who could see the traps and it worked. Seems it's indeed tied to video settings.

Thanks for your help.
    My $'s on particle effects or render distance.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Slothylicious
    Slothylicious
    ✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's related to "view distance" - that is also the setting that allows you to see resource nodes and other "interactables" farther in the distance.

So if I'm not mistaken, sliding your "view distance" slider farther up, increases the distance at which you are able to see stuff like resource nodes and trap rings in the distance, before they reach the limit where they stop rendering at all.

My view distance was at max though, and the traps wouldn't render in the fog even when i was close to them. I could only see the circle on the ground, never the blue ball, no matter how far or close it was.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

My view distance was at max though, and the traps wouldn't render in the fog even when i was close to them. I could only see the circle on the ground, never the blue ball, no matter how far or close it was.

Probably particle effects too then, as someone mentioned. The glowy stuff is the particle effect, and you need the view distance as well to see them.

So for non-glowing stuff view distance should suffice, and for glowy animated stuff, view distance + particle effects is the best bet.

Edited by Carbonised on September 5, 2018 12:23PM
  • skinnycheeks
    skinnycheeks
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue. I can't see them in the distance even though my team can. Gotta be something in the settings. Anyone able to pin point it yet? I've tried turning particles and view distance to max but it doesn't seem to affect it.