The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Resources are impossible to take

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I am a PVE player. I just want the stupid gladiator helmet (you're free to think what you want about me), so I try to do the supposedly easy daily quest to capture 9 resources.
I have no idea what's wrong, but the NPCs at the resources pretty much instakill me no matter what character I try to do it with. My decently geared mag warden dies within two seconds or so - sometimes I don't even make it inside the tower. My sturdiest char, stamplar, has no chance to survive the NPCs at the flag. Even a single mender nukes me to quarter health in one or two hits.
What's going on? Aren't people supposed to solo this? Or at least be able to?
What's worse, NOONE, and I mean NOONE gives a rat's ass about these. Apparently the changes in the last update were useless, and resources still don't mean anything.
I've been trying to complete this quest for three days, and I am at 5/9 resources. I tried asking in zone chat, and I never got a single response.
What's going on? How am I supposed to do this?
Edited by Octopuss on August 21, 2018 1:00PM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be smart.
    Go inside resource tower.
    Kill mage first.
    Then kill healer and tank that followed you.
    After you did that, go kill the flag guards, healers first.
    Kill the wandering guards last.
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount up and use raids into the tower take out the mage in the tower first; los the flag guards by backing up a bit while fighting the mage. Then take out the two guards that follow you fighting them on the 2nd floor. While still in the tower on the 2nd floor use the scatter shot catapult to nuke the guards on the flag.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 shot them with a cold fire treb.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I just want the stupid gladiator helmet
    It's faster to farm gold and buy it in a guild store.

That said, it sounds like learning to solo a resource would be a good way to improve your skill at the game. It's crucial to make sure you're keeping up your self-healing buffs (Living Trellis + Harness Magicka for your warden, Vigor + Rally for your stamplar). Like others have said, be strategic and try to knock off a few guards + the tower mage inside the tower first. Treat the fight like the challenge it's meant to be and not like random delve mobs and you'll get there eventually!
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siege makes it a lot easier.

Try and find resources that aren't level 5 (click on resource on map to see).

Also make sure you are on CP enable campaign. Non-CP NPCs are much tougher.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are on the wrong campaign... or on the right campaign at the wrong time. Try a more populated campaign and join a group, if you can't solo atm. Maybe try with a guest account first, changing home campaign is pretty expensive for beginners.

Generally I still would advice anyone new to PVP to go check the campaigns WITH CP, first. Simply because you always play with CP and probably build your char with CP in mind. So its the easier transition from PVE to PVP (i.e. you only have to take care to get your defence/selfheal right, and not worry much about what else (regeneration, reduced cost, buffed damage of specific type) may get lost when playing non-CP). Yet, please note you can't just start PVP with your PVE gear and build, this will most likely fail. While more experienced player do it all the time (me included) its just to much for a beginner, so get PVP gear, more specifically Cyrodiil PVP gear (bc battlegrounds are different, too). Its ok to trade damage for survivablity in Cyro-PVP... after all there is no pocket healer keeping you alive when soloing. Yet, refrain from stacking health... its the least favourable attribute as its only purpose is to be taken, mag and stam both provide access to heals, defence and damage and are more favourable.

Lately guards in PVP got buffed. For normal guards I feel this buff is neglegtable... but be aware of honor guards at ressources that rarely change ownership, they hit pretty hard. For practice on how to takkle guards, you may use town guards. Usually you will be able to take them one by one (if you stay away from flags) and can play with skills and strategies on each type of guard. For my stamplar (medium armor, DD) I prefer to take out sorcs first, healers next and then go to the warrior type of guards. I usually use structures (towers) to get breaks for healing and buffing up before I return to fighting for the flag. (My general attempt will be to sneak near the tower and enter it as soon as I get detected. I usually pull 2 guards with me, a healer or sorc and a melee type guard, both I kill inside the tower. Next its the sorc upstairs (just hate him ;) ). When done I turn towards the 4 guards on flag... mostly using aoe type damage to burn healers/sorcs down fast. If I have been lucky and a honour guard is present, I will have to return to the tower for buffing up again, for normal guards its not needed).

Its not that difficult, but I do remember preparing and training soloing ressources myself. Its some time ago, but I maged to kill guards (single ones) with vet 2 and soloing ressources (without honour guards) at vet 5... so I really would advice to have something between CP160 - CP300 before trying to solo them. (I might be wrong and other classes, builds can do this earlier, but yeah, I think going to solo ressources before CP160 is quite nuts/insane but if succeeding surely awesome. :D

Hope this helps.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slot a self heal? Tends to do the trick.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to do this 20 times.

Just buy it. If you are on PC NA, I just collected a helmet and was going to put in a guild store. If you're interested let me know.

If you want to complete the quest yourself, as other people have said, go into the tower first and kill the mage guard and any that follow you. Then take out the ones on the flag.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Technically, resources are meant to be taken down by 2 or more players. But you can solo them with the right build and experience. The majority can be done like so:

-Approach the resource from behind the tower. Buff up and skirt the edge to rush inside the tower. The flag guards can't hit you once you lose line of sight.
    -A warrior and healer should chase in after you, with the healer hanging back. Burst the warrior down first, while keeping enough stamina to break free from healer's stun.
    (If you don't have the dps to burst down the warrior with the healer up, interrupt those heals by the way, you're not stong enough to solo the flag.)
    -After killing the healer, run up stairs for the mage. Get as close as you can without showing yourself over the edge to the flag guards. You'll need to have range attacks when you need to back up from the ground AoE, but also non-projectiles for when you are eclipsed. Block the cyrstal shards, or better yet reflect them if you can. With the healer below dead, unless flag is close to the tower, there should be no restoring the mage's health.
    -With the mage dead, this is your count down to take the resource before he respawns. Hop down and take on the flag guards. Have attacks that hit multi targets ready as well as single target burst, and defensive shields and heals. Be ready to cast a defensive ult like barrier or an offensive one on multiple targets like nova. Take the menders down first, focus on the lower health ones before they can heal. Finally, you need to burst the warriors down one by one. If you are too slow at execute phase, they will dragon blood back to full health.
    -Once they are dead, stand on flag till it flips. Buff up as you keep look out for enemy players. Avoid pulling enemies as this will stall your capture and waste time, kill only what comes after you.

And that's it. A few resources have extra patrolling npcs near the flag, but this should be good for 80% of them.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Slot a self heal? Tends to do the trick.

These kind of answers won't help.
    And you don't even look cool dude.
    He clearly states he's a pve player, hence he has no idea what he is doing and a self heal skill doesn't do the trick.
    Depending on gear and skills slotted there are many ways to conquer a resource, but for beginners, the best is just hiding inside the tower and kill the guards one by one, starting with the mages.
    Dots help alot so use them.
    It will take time but it's doable
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, people aren't really supposed to solo resources. We do it all the time, but that's not what Zeni intended. To take a group objective solo, you need to be smart about it.

Make sure you have enough damage mitigation and self heals. You will need spell and physical mitigation, since resource guards do both types of damage.

As said above, start in the tower. Take out the mage guard and whoever followed you in. Stay out of range of the flag guards. Then look out to see if there are wandering guards nearby to pull into the tower to kill. Then take the flag guards last with aoe.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Octopuss please refrain from naming and shaming. (I.e. hide the players name in that pic pls)

While I do understand your disappointment beeing adressed like this, you did get pretty good and helpfull advice in the thread (even an invitation for trading your desired item). Leaving this pic as it is will get this thread closed and no-one else will profit from the answers.

Adding to it I believe everyone has met jerks ingame. I met some in PVP as well as PVE and derailing this thread to a "where-can-you-find-more-jerks"-thread isn't quite what you had in mind when writing your opening post, right? ;)
    Edited by Elsterchen on August 21, 2018 2:17PM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Cyrodiil everyone is an enemy
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to do the quests you are not alone.

If you read zone chat you will sometimes see people calling out rss. If you go there, other soloers will be there too. Or a guild zerg. Just stand on the flag and block heal. Or form a pug for the quests. Lots of players do that. And swap rss so everyone gets nine. If you are in NA pc vivec on DC hit me up! Game tag is same.

Otherwise the tips here are good. It takes practice. NPCs have been buffed. The guards can negate and chain these days. They are multi skilled.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrupting Pollen will help a lot, because even with the healers down, the flag guards can pop back to full.

But there are a couple of hard truths here. 1) As others have said, you need 20 of the gladiator things to get the helmet. 2) Capture 9 resources is only one of the quests, there's also Capture all 3 towns, capture 3 keeps, kill 40 enemy players. I don't really anticipate your being successful in any of those solo.

Either buy the thing, or embrace the world of PVP. Not everyone is a d-bag in there, although you will run into a few. Just type "LFG" into zone chat, and when you get picked up, stay on crown. You may find you like it.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A PvE build is perfect for resources. You just need to refine your tactic. Charging tower is one, picking off the stragglers/healers is another.

Are you in Sotha or where?
    What's your setup? Whats you current approach? Charge in to flag 4 pulling side ones and tower mage bombing you is not the one.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount your horse and sprint into the tower (assuming you have some stamina upgrades on the thing).

Kill any followers.

Kill the tower mage.

Tag and kill any wandering guards by getting them to follow you into the tower.

Finally, kill the 4 on the flag, starting with the menders.

Use a vMSA-ready build if necessary.

edit: also, if you get a black bubble around you, break free or you will kill yourself.
    Edited by danno8 on August 21, 2018 3:43PM
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    also, if you get a black bubble around you, break free or you will kill yourself.
    Good advice. But birds, force shock, fetchers, deep fissure, and winter's revenge all ignore the eclipse, if you don't have stamina, but don't light attack with your staff, and only heavy attack with resto or shock.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meatbag catapults. Kill the immobile flag guards from far enough they can’t hit you back, then clean up the rest afterward.
  • JackAshes
    JackAshes
    ✭✭✭
    Do it the easy way. Check your map for enemy keeps being sieged by your faction. Port to closest keep. Ride and Zerg surf until the keep is taken. The resources are usually zerged after the Keep has been taken. Follow the Zerg around to resources. Should be able to complete it in about an couple hours on a busy server.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you might be geared wrong for pvp because you can solo them easily
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • MaximillianDiE
    MaximillianDiE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly you just need to practice and perhaps a gear rethink. I can solo resources on all of my characters with relative ease, even though its a little trickier this patch - you as a warden shouldn't have too much trouble once you get the hang of it.
    Maximillian Die Caesar - DC - [K-Hole] Retired
    Maximillian AD [[DiE]
    Retired
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to take when you are solo and 10 and more people come at you from the keep. If you still haven't downed the guards then maybe 4~6 players will do the trick.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not hard to solo them if you follow the advice given here, but its tedious. Alternately, Go to the most populated campaign on your server (eg Vivec in PC NA), and get the addon Cyrhud (that tells you right away when resources or keeps are under attack) and/or watch your map for keep activity. When a keep is being taken, join your zerg and follow people to the resources. Often after a keep defense, the successful defenders will ride out and flip all the resources.

Another thing to watch for is a keep where one or two resources flip. You port to that keep, and wait for other players to arrive and ride to the resource. Then you have a group doing it.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way to do it: Get a Meatbag Catapult for 1,200 AP at a siege vendor. Place it so you can shoot at the flag. The flag guards will melt after 3 or 4 shots. Then pack up the catapult and kill the remaining mage and the other leftovers, if any. Easy.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you all got trolled hard. No way that guy can be serious.

Even a single mender nukes me to quarter health in one or two hits.

giphy.gif
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) A PVE Build that is Top in PVE is nothing in PVP. You need a lot of Gear with the Impenetrable Trait.
    2) My Trick of taking a Resource solo is: You have to put a Scattershot down without beeing noticed and shoot 2 to 3 times at the pin, then rush in, especially the Mage on the Tower shoots you in 3 to 4 hits on a PVP Build, and i have 2.5k critresist, my physical and spellresictance is by 19k each
    3) Wear a minimum of 5 piece heavy Armour in PVP
    All this said, if the Enemy notices that you take the Ressource, he will swarm you. Also, thankfully since the first update this Year, they changed the difficulty of the Guards. It is a proper Challenge. PVP, even the PVE Components are pretty hardhitting now, it was far to easy before.The best is to find a decent PVP Guild and begin enjoying yourself.If you are AD, Im in DIG(Dominion Imperial Guard)Also, have a look at Alcast. His PVP Builds. And, my PVP Toon needed a Month to get the Gladiator Helmet. PVP is all about not getting frustated at dying and getting better in the process. Its not a script like PVE, you never know what another player tries to kill you.
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talcyndl wrote: »
    Siege makes it a lot easier.

Try and find resources that aren't level 5 (click on resource on map to see).

Also make sure you are on CP enable campaign. Non-CP NPCs are much tougher.

Since the latest update, there are only 2 levels now, lvl1 and lvl2. They changed a lot in Cyro
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have another method. I use a NB 5 med 1 light 1 heavy. Fortified brass, Night mothers embrace and bloodspawn. I have resistances at and over cap through CP and healing up in CP. I use dual bow 1 nirnhoned 1 defensive with health drain poisons. Next I just cloak up the stairs gank the mage guard, done. Next any that follow if they do end them. Next I single target the menders first, spam lethal arrow till dead. Next the other two. Your done. In between each one reset back to hidden for max damage on first hit. I have found this method easier than tanking a resource with 3 people. Hope you get your helmet.
    Edited by Spartabunny08 on August 22, 2018 2:49PM
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    edit: also, if you get a black bubble around you, break free or you will kill yourself.

Pretty sure you can't break free from it anymore. You can time your block to mitigate the explosion at the end though.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/