The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are motifs that are already known allowed to be purchased?

Azariiel_Lunataris
Azariiel_Lunataris
✭✭✭
For other account-wide items, such as mounts and non-combat pets, the item is greyed out in the store, thus preventing pointless duplicate purchases. Today I spend 200 gems on the Outlaw motif, to find that I already owned it. Yes, I realise I should have checked the text that says 'already in your library', but I cannot understand why the store allowed me to purchase an account-wide unlock item that I already owned and cannot trade? I've submitted a ticket for a refund.
  • Azariiel_Lunataris
    Azariiel_Lunataris
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: I just checked the store and nowhere does it even say I already own the motif!
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs are not and have never been account-wide. The corresponding outfit styles that they unlock are account-wide, but the crafting knowledge has always been character-specific.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Azariiel_Lunataris
    Azariiel_Lunataris
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Motifs are not and have never been account-wide. The corresponding outfit styles that they unlock are account-wide, but the crafting knowledge has always been character-specific.

Thank you, that explains it perfectly to me!
  • Sgtmeg
    Sgtmeg
    ✭✭✭
    Yupyup, always do your motif purchasing on your crafter. This also includes the motifs from the normal crown store
    Edited by Sgtmeg on August 14, 2018 2:27PM
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait wait, you spent $35+ on an easily obtained ingame motif? That still sells for pocket change?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Wait wait, you spent $35+ on an easily obtained ingame motif? That still sells for pocket change?

Not everyone has easy access to it or the money in game to buy it.. and 200 gems is not $35 dollars last i looked?
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »

Not everyone has easy access to it or the money in game to buy it.. and 200 gems is not $35 dollars last i looked?

Collecting every page costs less than 75k. And you’re right 200 gems is more than $35 dollars. In fact it’s somewhere around $50-$60 depending on how many uniques you get from crates.

It’s a waste of money no matter how you look at it
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Collecting every page costs less than 75k. And you’re right 200 gems is more than $35 dollars. In fact it’s somewhere around $50-$60 depending on how many uniques you get from crates.

Considering i got 2 motif pages in 15 crates i did well then, that said i only have 480k in game after 5 months and majority of that was from selling some crowns.. so 75k would get me 4 motif books and bankrupt me in game..
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Considering i got 2 motif pages in 15 crates i did well then, that said i only have 480k in game after 5 months and majority of that was from selling some crowns.. so 75k would get me 4 motif books and bankrupt me in game..

I have no idea how you can be so strapped for cash in this game. Just about everything will sell if you put in the effort
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea how you can be so strapped for cash in this game. Just about everything will sell if you put in the effort
    Plus we're discussing a crafter here. Just doing the daily writs gives you an income to spend on more motifs, even if you don't make things to sell.
    Edited by ghastley on August 20, 2018 5:56PM
  • Azariiel_Lunataris
    Azariiel_Lunataris
    ✭✭✭
    Sgtmeg wrote: »
    Yupyup, always do your motif purchasing on your crafter. This also includes the motifs from the normal crown store

I did purchase it on my crafter. The issue is that the motif does NOT show in the store as already being owned. I'm talking about the one offered for gems here. Fortunately for me, ZOS customer service was swiftly(within 24 hours) on the case and refunded my purchase. It did take 2 tickets (as the refund didn't work the first time) but I'm not complaining :smile:

Nope I didn't spend $35 on a motif book. Whilst I have bought Crown crates at times, you do realise that there are free ones given monthly, and that you may happen to get lucky (as I did) and get a Sweetroll worth 400 gems :smile:

See above :smile: