The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

New form of fun pvp

• Sneaky23bacon
    Sneaky23bacon
    ✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    No.

There would be some hardened PvP player(s) with heavy armour PvP gear loitering at every crafting drop off point just waiting for someone to accidentally loot something instead of putting their crafting items into the boxes. Then they would pounce on the unfortunate crafter and kill them.

What about the sneak-thief (in full medium sneak gear) trying hard to pickpocket risky nobles in search of that elusive throne blueprint. One slip-up or bad lag moment later, 5 PvPers pounce on him/her/mer and kill them without chance of a fight back.

Insta-death.

Where's the fun in that? Seriously?

The disparity between sneak-gear and PvP gear is too far apart to allow this to happen. Sneak-thieves would have absolutely no survival chance.

The whole concept is just so heavily weighted in favour of the PvP aspect that it could end up ruining an entirely enjoyable section of the game.

wouldn't you have to get the bounty from the board first? What happens if he pays his bounty?
  • Marexai
    Marexai
    Soul Shriven
    No.

There would be some hardened PvP player(s) with heavy armour PvP gear loitering at every crafting drop off point just waiting for someone to accidentally loot something instead of putting their crafting items into the boxes. Then they would pounce on the unfortunate crafter and kill them.

What about the sneak-thief (in full medium sneak gear) trying hard to pickpocket risky nobles in search of that elusive throne blueprint. One slip-up or bad lag moment later, 5 PvPers pounce on him/her/mer and kill them without chance of a fight back.

Insta-death.

The disparity between sneak-gear and PvP gear is too far apart to allow this to happen. Sneak-thieves would have absolutely no survival chance.

The whole concept is just so heavily weighted in favour of the PvP aspect that it could end up ruining an entirely enjoyable section of the game.

This is just an argument stretched ad absurdum...

So the current situation when players kill dozens of NPCs in cities (and there is NOTHING to do about it) is more fun in your eyes?

I believe all those NO-sayers on this forum are PVE players who like killing defenceless NPCs but who are so afraid of playing against another human.

Pathetic.
    Edited by Marexai on July 20, 2018 3:56PM
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe this is still going on.

The last thing we need is murderous thugs everywhere. We have enough mobs for that.

Go back to shaking your sticks at each other in Cyrodil, the IP and elsewhere and leave those of us who already hate you alone.
  • Marexai
    Marexai
    Soul Shriven
    What's wrong with flagging a criminal for pvp?

The pvp flag would be deactivated when killed or with money paid.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Marexai wrote: »

Let's see....Friends racking up bounties, killing the one with a bounty and splitting the gold. Repeat over and over. Someone who is only doing pve quests racks up a bounty and gets forced into pvp. Pvp players camping thieves' guild refuge entries to kill players with a bounty before they can pay it off. Pvp players camping areas with quests that could cause a bounty for pve players so they can kill them. High level pvpers waiting to gank any new players who get a bounty.... Gee...what is wrong with flagging a "criminal" for pvp in a pve area?

And by the way, at least a few of us "no-sayers" are saying no because we've had to deal with the perfect manners, civility, and kind gentle words of pvpers we've met in the past. And yes, all of that means the total exact opposite. There might be nice, polite, well-mannered pvpers out there, but I haven't met m/any of them. I want to play the game for enjoyment, not hear the trash talking, insults, and all the rest of the happy crap that totally ruins the game for me. When pvp is in one area, I can avoid that if I don't want to deal with it. As for fighting other players? I've done duels when a guildmate asks. I'm not competitive, so I really don't care if someone else can kill me instantly. That's great, you da winner, congrats. Now go away and let me play the storyline, m'kay?
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    What happens if we kill the bounty hunter? Do we get to keep his loot? There has to be a big trade off for failing and especially dying. So if the bounty hunter looses what he wears PERMANENTLY and the person who killed him keeps it, it could be fair.

It would make you think twice before trying to kill someone if you loose your armour/weapon you worked so hard to het and be able to loose it and start over again to regain it.
    \

Hunter dies Perma death. Character gets deletes that's fair

• Marexai
    Marexai
    Soul Shriven
    I didn't say anything about friends racking up bounties. My vision is just to enable players to dispose of/chase off murderers. Without getting the bounty. My concern was the infinite killings of NPCs done by the lunatics chasing DB achievements. It would make more sense to me than adding the guards that are de facto the most powerful entities in the game.

And it's rather mind-boggling that you are playing an MMO game, but the competion against other players is bothering you.

Edited by Marexai on July 20, 2018 7:18PM
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's rather mind-boggling that you are playing an MMO game but you refuse to compete against other players in any way.

You do realize that many of us do not play ESO because it's an MMO. We play it because it's TES.

In my experience, MMOs are worthless wastes of time (not the game play or the people, just all the grinding and farming) and not all MMO's involve "competing" against other players. I refuse to "compete".

I am more than happy to team up and cooperate, but there is no way I'm going to "compete". None of you are worth my time and there is absolutely no reward for actually winning. I have no use for "bragging rights" and am quite happy with my current equipment. My self-esteem is just not so delicate.
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp involving solo style? LOL

Never happen in ESO. It is all about zerging down solo players now, no point having any skill involved.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingMagaw wrote: »
    Pvp involving solo style? LOL

Never happen in ESO. It is all about zerging down solo players now, no point having any skill involved.

True... true. But you have to admit, a good zerg can be quite... exhilarating?
  • Marexai
    Marexai
    Soul Shriven
    DenMoria wrote: »
    It's rather mind-boggling that you are playing an MMO game but you refuse to compete against other players in any way.

You do realize that many of us do not play ESO because it's an MMO. We play it because it's TES.

In my experience, MMOs are worthless wastes of time (not the game play or the people, just all the grinding and farming) and not all MMO's involve "competing" against other players. I refuse to "compete".

I am more than happy to team up and cooperate, but there is no way I'm going to "compete". None of you are worth my time and there is absolutely no reward for actually winning. I have no use for "bragging rights" and am quite happy with my current equipment. My self-esteem is just not so delicate.

You do realize that many of us do not play PvP just to have "bragging rights". We compete because we simply enjoy it. The same way when you go save a princess.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I'd be all for it as long as this was opt-in only and did not take place just any old place like inside crafting halls or banks or on top of wayshrines, no skin off my back. And so long as nobody started killing off NPCs to prevent people from blade-of-woeing them unless they were part of a bounty hunting system, like people killed off the ww and vamp spawns so they could corner the market there. And as long as every other possible thing was covered to make sure that it never, ever impacted me personally in any way. It would be great for other people.

Edited by Minyassa on July 20, 2018 8:57PM
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see any new form of PvP where it doesn't involve zerging down a player on 10 v 1 odds being the most unskilled gaming alive.
    Edited by KingMagaw on July 20, 2018 10:00PM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, no.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say anything about friends racking up bounties. My vision is just to enable players to dispose of/chase off murderers. Without getting the bounty. My concern was the infinite killings of NPCs done by the lunatics chasing DB achievements. It would make more sense to me than adding the guards that are de facto the most powerful entities in the game.

And it's rather mind-boggling that you are playing an MMO game, but the competion against other players is bothering you.

You don't see the incredible amount of ways people can abuse/exploit the crap out of something like this? Unless there is some kind of game mechanic in place, people would be racking up endless gold. Forget gifting ruining the economy, endless bounty money from exploiters would break it faster.

Competition doesn't bother me, mostly because I don't care. I'm not playing the game to be the super duper uber bestest evah. I grew up a long time ago; you want to pull out a tape measure and brag, go right ahead. I'm not in grade school anymore. Judging by the comments/trash talk/general behavior of some of the pvpers, they haven't gotten that far yet. I play the game for the stories, the stuff the devs put in that I can find that makes me go "hey, I remember that, so that's who that is/how that started". Finding the connection the devs added to tie something in ESO to the single player games I loved and still love to play is more fun for me than beating someone in pvp.

You do realize that the "endless" killing is usually for a couple reasons; one is related to the DB quests, the other is less than mature/overeager "got to level to super uber asfastaspossible" players who follow guides saying "killing everyone is area X and looting them gets a bazillion gold a minute". One of the latter was in one of my guilds for a short while. He managed to rack up enough of a bounty that would have sidelined his character for 6 months of real time until the bounty went away. He wanted to buy ambrosia so he could level faster so he could go pvp.....For the "endless killing" that is quest related, you should use /feedback in the game to tell the devs it upsets you. For the second reason, the omgIhavetopowerlevel players who want gold to level faster so they can get to "endgame" or buy bis gear to be uber in pvp....not to much you can do about that. Its that competitive thing, I guess. :shrug:
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »

You do realize that many of us do not play PvP just to have "bragging rights". We compete because we simply enjoy it. The same way when you go save a princess.

You know, if this "uber competitive" thing seems to be a generally accepted part of pvp, you might just be in the minority.

On the rare occasions I had to go to IC to craft gear for someone, I never fought back. Fought the daedra and enemy npcs, yes. Fought other players, no. I still can't figure out what is enjoyable about killing someone who doesn't fight back; hasn't even pulled a weapon. But one pvper did; 5 times in a row while I was trying to get to the one crafting station. Adding in some whispers concerning what my Mom did last night, my general skills, etc. I guess he finally got bored and I made it to the crafting station on the 6th try. And don't say the guy wanted a "fair fight"; he usually waited until after I cleared the daedra and my resources were low. Guess his idea of fun was fighting a character built and geared for pve who didn't fight back. Yay for pvp, I guess.
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    Hey, I'd be all for it as long as this was opt-in only and did not take place just any old place like inside crafting halls or banks or on top of wayshrines, no skin off my back. And so long as nobody started killing off NPCs to prevent people from blade-of-woeing them unless they were part of a bounty hunting system, like people killed off the ww and vamp spawns so they could corner the market there. And as long as every other possible thing was covered to make sure that it never, ever impacted me personally in any way. It would be great for other people.

Yep opt in and out option. Thanks for supporting the idea based on that:)
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Let's see....Friends racking up bounties, killing the one with a bounty and splitting the gold. Repeat over and over. Someone who is only doing pve quests racks up a bounty and gets forced into pvp. Pvp players camping thieves' guild refuge entries to kill players with a bounty before they can pay it off. Pvp players camping areas with quests that could cause a bounty for pve players so they can kill them. High level pvpers waiting to gank any new players who get a bounty.... Gee...what is wrong with flagging a "criminal" for pvp in a pve area?

And by the way, at least a few of us "no-sayers" are saying no because we've had to deal with the perfect manners, civility, and kind gentle words of pvpers we've met in the past. And yes, all of that means the total exact opposite. There might be nice, polite, well-mannered pvpers out there, but I haven't met m/any of them. I want to play the game for enjoyment, not hear the trash talking, insults, and all the rest of the happy crap that totally ruins the game for me. When pvp is in one area, I can avoid that if I don't want to deal with it. As for fighting other players? I've done duels when a guildmate asks. I'm not competitive, so I really don't care if someone else can kill me instantly. That's great, you da winner, congrats. Now go away and let me play the storyline, m'kay?

Opt in and out
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

Insta-death.

This is just an argument stretched ad absurdum...

So the current situation when players kill dozens of NPCs in cities (and there is NOTHING to do about it) is more fun in your eyes?

I believe all those NO-sayers on this forum are PVE players who like killing defenceless NPCs but who are so afraid of playing against another human.

Pathetic.

Just because someone doesn’t like PVP doesn’t mean they are afraid of it. Maybe it just doesn’t interest them. Me personally, I like PVP in certain games, detest it in others, like this one.

The only way I could see this happening if there was an opt in and opt out system and don’t come back with the usual spiel of “oh well then don’t commit crimes and your opting out! ROFLCOPTER LOLAZALO!!!”

There are two rogue themed DLC’s that many players purchased with real money with the full understanding that they were PVE ONLY DLC’S. If all of the sudden the main activity in those DLC’s becomes forced PVP content, then your ripping those players off.

If it comes with a proper opt in and opt out system, then it’s on the table for discussion.

I don’t like competing against other players. I like working WITH them in co-op activities. As far as I know that’s been a stable in MMO’s for a long time. Why does that “boggle your mind”?
    Edited by MattT1988 on July 24, 2018 12:15PM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*Because I dont want to PVP period. Ever. Ad infinitum. And forcing me to PVP potentially as a punishment for playing a system of the game is horrrrrse crap.*
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Opt in and out

Please explain how you would create this "opt in and out" system to prevent someone abusing it. How would it work if an "opt in" player was in a group of "opt out" players? The "opt in hunter" uses aoe attacks; do those attacks damage the other "opt out" group members? Does the "opt in hunter" player get a bounty because they attacked the "opt out" group members while trying to get the one "opt in" player? Does an "opt in" aoe attack flip the toggle for "opt out" players?

Yes, now I see, of course "opt in and opt out" is a perfectly clear easy to implement solution. /sarcasm

• randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change it around and make it dark brotherhood rather than thieves guild.

Allow the creation of contracts on other players, the player raising the contract funds it, anyone taking it puts a deposit down and then has a timed window in which to deliver. Failure to deliver in the timeframe means you lose the deposit (half gets added to the contract) and it goes back on the board for someone else to pick up. If the contract is not completed within a certain number of played hours by the target then the target can claim half the bounty for themselves and the bounty is then invalidated. The only real addition you'd need apart from the job board itself and the contract resolution is to add a dynamic dialog tree so any NPC in the same zone as the target might say, yeah, I saw him/her a short while ago.

Had this years ago in a MUD I used to play and there was some seriously fun moments from it all.
    EU PS4
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Opt in and out

Please explain how you would create this "opt in and out" system to prevent someone abusing it. How would it work if an "opt in" player was in a group of "opt out" players? The "opt in hunter" uses aoe attacks; do those attacks damage the other "opt out" group members? Does the "opt in hunter" player get a bounty because they attacked the "opt out" group members while trying to get the one "opt in" player? Does an "opt in" aoe attack flip the toggle for "opt out" players?

Yes, now I see, of course "opt in and opt out" is a perfectly clear easy to implement solution. /sarcasm

The way I'm imagining proper opt-in/opt-out systems is that only the players who want to work with the pvp system are affected, and anyone else can play the game as they like, including the usual thieving and assassinations, without having to ever worry about it. It would not be hard to prevent it from affecting those who opted out; in the scenario you suggestion, for example, the proper way to do it would be that someone who was opted in would not be active while grouped with people who were opted out, so would not be targets for the duration. Kinda like when duelers decide they have to fight all over people who are trying to use crafting stations, and use aoe attacks on their opponents that don't affect the rest of us except for having to listen to the racket. Opt out should always mean "completely immune under any circumstance", and in cases of conflict err on the side of protecting those who are opted out and make the opt-ins have to take extra steps to get back to their optional play.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »

Opt in and out

The way I'm imagining proper opt-in/opt-out systems is that only the players who want to work with the pvp system are affected, and anyone else can play the game as they like, including the usual thieving and assassinations, without having to ever worry about it. It would not be hard to prevent it from affecting those who opted out; in the scenario you suggestion, for example, the proper way to do it would be that someone who was opted in would not be active while grouped with people who were opted out, so would not be targets for the duration. Kinda like when duelers decide they have to fight all over people who are trying to use crafting stations, and use aoe attacks on their opponents that don't affect the rest of us except for having to listen to the racket. Opt out should always mean "completely immune under any circumstance", and in cases of conflict err on the side of protecting those who are opted out and make the opt-ins have to take extra steps to get back to their optional play.

So anyone with a bounty would be untouchable as long as they were in a group? Does this type of bounty decay the way the current bounty does? If so, all anyone needs to do to "beat" the bounty [since this is the competitive thing] is stay in a opt-out group until it goes away. Or the group can escort the bounty player to a refuge to pay it off, so they will never be a valid target for a "hunter". Anything in this system to prevent the hunters from camping entrances to the refuges? Remember, if there is a way to abuse/exploit/grief a mechanic, someone will find it and use it.