The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templar PTS changes

Joy_Division
Joy_Division
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
All tests were done on the same character with same gear on PTS and Live. These are not perfect tests because DPS-wise, I am the wrong race (Nord), I have the wrong CP distribution (I PvP), I use Luminous rather than Blazing Shards (I heal), and use the Radiant Glory morph (because my magicka pool is perpetually empty since Morrowind and thus would have hardly any bonus damage). But everything is relative so I think my points still stand.
Radiant Destruction: Increased the maximum bonus execute damage dealt by this ability and its morph to 400% from 330%.

This sounds like a lot, but I don't think it's enough. The problem is the base damage was nerfed by too much in the past (21% IIRC) and is not subject to diminishing returns as it occurs *before* and multipliers and such (i.e. it's a 21% reduction of a large amount). This PTS version is bonus damage and thus is a % on top of other %s, which I think are subject to diminishing returns).

In any event, I don't think I will use it because:

QdBeIsT.png

This is best case scenario: under 5% health (and thus max damage) and the increase we are seeing is still a lot smaller than the light attack(s) Templars lose when using a channeled ability.

A useable and efficient Radiant Destruction will always be a problem because the damage has to be *really* high since 1) it's an execute, 2) it's a channel and thus also include the damage from missed light attacks 3) PvP players will always look at the absolute worst case scenario (the last damage tick when they have 5% health) and then come onto the forums and whine & complain while they misrepresent the ability and claim it's best-case scenario is always the case. In general, I find the cries for "separate PvE and PvP" oversimplified and wrong - the game was at it's absolute best in 1.5 when PvE and PvP worked great together and nobody uttered such a thing - but in order for this ability to be any good in PvE it has to do so much damage that it's going to induce a lot of complaining in PvP. My suggestion would be thus either:
  1. Remove the ability altogether and give Templars back Blinding Flashes (Templars currently DPS without this skill right now so they don't need it)
  2. Make this the second ability in the game to have a special PvE component (Nightblade Ambush is the other) that would amp the damage. Once this is done the base version STILL needs a damage boost because it is not efficient in PvE or PvP
  3. Make a concerted effort to educate the PVP community that mathematically it is necessary for Radiant Destruction ticks to be high because Templars cannot weave in Light attacks with that execute that Sorcerers, Nightblades, and Two-Handed users can.

What I would not do is:
  • Lower the range (PvPers favorite suggestion). Do you promise not to post misleading screenshots of 10K radiant destruct ticks when I beam you at 15 meters? What's that, yes? I don't believe you at all.
  • Make the beam dodgeable (Stam NBs favorite suggestion). Umm, no. Been there, done that before Thieves' Guild patch and the spell sucked so bad many Templars stopped using it in PvP.
  • Make the spell traditional instant cast. Homogenization. No thank you.

Solar Flare
Dark Flare (morph): Decreased the duration of the Major Defile debuff to 4 seconds from 6 seconds.
Solar Barrage (morph): Removed the cast time from this ability, and decreased the damage done by approximately 40%.

I do not like Dark Flare because it does not do enough damage (find me a good DPS parse that uses it) and no longer empowers itself (which means it does even less damage), so that morph is irrelevant to me.

I do like that ZOS has listen to the community feedback removing the Solar Barrage cast time, but after my testing, I have to conclude that 40% nerf is way more than the 1 Global coodown that templars are gaining.

I have run about 15 DPS parses on Live and PTS and they are roughly the same (the PTS averaged like 400 or so higher). I think this is how ZOS arrived at the 40% number, they wanted to make the Templar DPS equivalent, but with a smoother rotation. However, the DPS is the same *only* against a single target dummy. Please do not tell me it is the only DPS that matters because I PvP, I do battlegrounds, I run vMA, I like DSA, I do (and like) the Sanctum Ophedia trash pulls, the cleaves on bosses like the Twins, etc.

Here is what Templars are losing:

Live Barrage parses:
dzZRvuc.png
sPmPuj1.png

PTS Barrage parses:

QRWH77L.png
cfw8NGw.png

That's 4K a tick on every target with a PvP spec with no raid buffs at all.

I set up 2 target dummies together, which makes the point more visibly. This is without using an ultimate

Live:
9cwvUvm.png
SLXMQ9R.png

PTS:
JJmKj4w.png
Dd1qm9M.png

Edit: Let me save you some time. If you believe using two 6 million dummy parses would make the test more valid and representative, go onto the PTS and try it yourself and see what happens. Unless they die at the same time, one will re-spawn and completely mess up the parse. Also, all the game's encounters are not bosses with 6 million health. If I am in cyrodiil, on the 3rd wave of stage 5 in vMA, grinding Skyreach, I want to roughly know what is my non-ultimate AOE capabilities are.

If I'm in a Battleground where I got multiple people Sloading me, Zaaning me, defiling me, etc., I would much rather have what's on Live because the PTS version' does not do enough damage to justify slotting. If I wanted the Empower so badly I'd still rather have what's on Live because 1) the skill is better and 2) getting off a cast time (especially from a spell which does not snare me) is not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be, especially now that ZoS has included anti-interrupt mechanics. Indeed when Radiant Destruction was good, I used this spell *all the time*, channeled or not.

The damage is bad. Here is a comparison between the Templar AoE options on the PTS:

QexlEtr.png

And this is Luminous Shards, the lesser damaging morph. When the two components are added together, it comes out to 246,145 roughly the same AoE damage as Barrage. And this skill returns *both* resources to allies, which Barrage does nothing of the sort.
The Blockade will even be higher Vs a boss because it will be amped by Engulfing Flames.

All a Templar gets from Barrage is 51 empowers, which comes out to 129,183 additional *single* target damage, if I can maintain light attacking. which is fine, except Luminous Shards gives me 262,717 single target damage that I'll get even when doing mechanics and unable to light attack. And it still returns resources.

Point: If a skill is not used or not very popular, that is because players do not feel the skill is effective or efficient enough. To get us excited about potentially using them, a mixed bag of well it's sort of a buff if used like this, but a nerf if used like that is not the way to go. Would I rather have what's on the PTS Vs. a single target dummy? Yeah, because it is more convenient. Would I rather play the actual game with what's on the PTS? No, because the spell is worse in a lot of situations and for all its convenience isn't good enough.

Rune Focus:
This ability and its morphs now apply Major Ward, Major Resolve, and all morph effects to you directly for 15 seconds.
Standing within the area of effect now increases the Major Ward and Major Resolve effects by 50%.
Increased the cost of this ability and Restoring Focus to 2700 Magicka from 1890.
Channeled Focus (morph): Increased the cost of this ability to 1891 Magicka from 1080.
The new design of Rune Focus more closely matches the fast action combat, while still preserving the original feel of an area of protection.

Another mixed "sometimes it's a buff and sometimes it's a nerf" situation. Ugh. So, some templars are going to like it and some are going to hate it. Can't we just come up with changes in which everyone will be excited for the upcoming patch?

I think the Restoring Focus change is OK, I guess. Players who go for that morph aren't in it for the magic regen in the first place so the extra cost is worth the trade off for the guaranteed 15 seconds of effect. Full disclaimer here, I don;t use this morph, I'm just going by what some people have told me. It should be noted that the spell is potentially noticeably worse on the PTS because you don't get the 8 seconds of after effect when leaving the Rune and it's quite a bit more expensive. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth because even I'm paying a real price for that convenience. That's not a buff in my book; that's quid-pro-quo.

The problem comes with the Channeled Focus morph, the one which players use for magicka sustain. By nearly doubling the cost and cutting short the potential duration, the changes are counterproductive and defeat the purpose of taking this morph in the first place. Here is a chart of the difference between what's on Live and PTS:

wbkuQsv.png

You are only *little* better off in the absolute worst case Live scenario and potentially a lot worse.

No thanks. Even for me and I spend the most of my time PvPing (I also PvE and the change is a lot worse in 99% of those situations). The whole point I use this morph is because templars have terrible regen and no, sorry, a net return of 2000 regen over 18 seconds, which is about the same I'll get from a single regen glyph, defeats the whole purpose of using this ability in the first place. You may never go back into the Rune, but I do sometimes and I'd rather be rewarded for being a conscientious player by getting 5000 regen over 25 seconds.

As for the extra resistance bonuses, it comes out to 4%. It's a nice attempt, but that is hardly worth the effort to stay in the Rune.

What I would do:
  • Ideally untie templars only source of magicka sustain from an active skill that does not do much of anything and look back at how The Restoring Spirit passive worked in Beta. That way Templars have the resource management that "more closely matches the fast action combat" and thus frees them to take the defensive morph they actually would rather have.
  • For Restoring Focus, remove the cost increase. Why is the cost being increased anyway? What's on the PTS is not mechanically superior to what's on Live (and it's potentially worse) in anyway except an extra 4% mitigation, if you happen to stay in the Rune, which the changes acknowledge we probably won't.
  • For Channeled Focus, removing the cost increase is not enough: you'd only get 2800 regen over 18 seconds (a little more than a regen glyph) and missing out on the potentially 5000 over 25 seconds. If this particular morph is somehow going to be our only source of magicka sustain, it's actually got to accomplish that function. The best case scenario on Live still wasn't as good as what a Nightblade has so, yep, even getting rid of the cost reduction is still going to mean this is a pain point for templars. Which is why I recommend unnerfing Restoring Spirit because the "your magicka sustain is attached to the hip of channeled focus" idea is full of potential pitfalls.
  • As a temporary measure, I would recommend removing the cost increase, making the rune last 8 seconds, and putting back the "+8 seconds after you leave" condition. What this will in effect do is put us right back to Live, with the guarantee that a Templar will get 15 seconds, which I think is 1000% fair and all templars were asking for in the first place,
Edited by Joy_Division on July 19, 2018 10:31PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A slight different approach for radiant is just to undo the LA buffs. They were unnecessary, made heavy attack feel less heavy, increased power creep a lot more. The call they made for beam was about right, increase its exe damage so its not spammed from 100 anymore. But I would increase that execute damage a bit more personally.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Terrific testing and write-up. Glad you're a class rep. :)
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division they just need to improve sustain for Templar in general. I'm tired of being married to Bone Pirate. I'm still confused as to how the most high recovery class in the game in Beta became the lowest (by leaps and bounds lower) than any other class. The devs have lost the plot on Templar. I think Templar was their first class based on game systems that are no longer around and they just don't know how to adapt.

My two suggestions for the class:
    1) Give us Recovery - a lot more of it.
    2) Give us CC. Blinding Flashes, Binding Javelin, Blazing Spear. (Other classes have a wide array of cc, why not us?)
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on July 18, 2018 8:27PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division they just need to improve sustain for Templar in general. I'm tired of being married to Bone Pirate. I'm still confused as to how the most high recovery class in the game in Beta became the lowest (by leaps and bounds lower) than any other class. The devs have lost the plot on Templar. I think Templar was their first class based on game systems that are no longer around and they just don't know how to adapt.

No need to be confused: Restoring Spirit nerf = RIP magicka sustain. Restoring Aura redo = RIP stamina sustain.

I would say that DKs are pretty much in the same boat as far as getting left behind because original game systems have changed.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great write up Joy. Glad Templar’s have somebody continuing to fight for our class as a whole (I main stamplar pvp and magplar PvE). I'm especially glad you brought to light the nerf of solar barrage not just on single target, but how massive of a nerf it is in terms of magplar aoe damage. With just the two dummies we are seeing a net loss of about 5k dps from live to pts with given screenshots ~ not even remotely worth the extra cast of ele weapon we get.

As for stamplar, our sustain has been terrible for the longest(known issue, has been brought up by myself and many others in several threads nearly every patch so won't harp on it) as well as being just lackluster dps in PvE as a whole (no point in bringing stamplar in over Stam nb). This thread is about current changes, so I will not go off topic. The changes to focus absolutely decimate magplar sustain and is realistically a nerf for stamplar in terms of mag sustain (have to cast it more often and increased cost now). I can vouch on behalf of stamplars and say I would much prefer the live version over PTS unless they increase the duration with these next few patches.
    Edited by templesus on July 18, 2018 8:49PM
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Joy_Division for all the testing and your remarkable and enjoyable write-up. I have said my piece in the feedback thread already, ty for taking it into account as well.

@templesus I agree sustain is pretty bad for stamplar, but even the most usefull work-around: a marriage to bone pirate (as @dodgehopper_ESO phrased so nicely) doesn't help to cover my impression that for my stamplar mag-sustain is the minor sustain-problem. But yes, since most buffs for stamplars (exept those from PoTL and major brutality) are from magica based abilities, I do get why stamplars mag sustain may be problematic.

Both mag and stam sustain are just terribad for templar and seriously need to be looked at.

• templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    Thank you @Joy_Division for all the testing and your remarkable and enjoyable write-up. I have said my piece in the feedback thread already, ty for taking it into account as well.

@templesus I agree sustain is pretty bad for stamplar, but even the most usefull work-around: a marriage to bone pirate (as @dodgehopper_ESO phrased so nicely) doesn't help to cover my impression that for my stamplar mag-sustain is the minor sustain-problem. But yes, since most buffs for stamplars (exept those from PoTL and major brutality) are from magica based abilities, I do get why stamplars mag sustain may be problematic.

Both mag and stam sustain are just terribad for templar and seriously need to be looked at.

I was referencing Magicka sustain solely in reference to the changes with restoring focus is hurting our Magicka sustain even more. It costs more and we will have to recast it more as well, which ultimately means less purifies we can use(which itself has had the cost increased a million times).

I have numerous write-ups myself on Stamplar's horrible stamina sustain but will not derail this thread from the focal point of the changes made specifically on PTS, when there are already other threads talking about it.
    Edited by templesus on July 18, 2018 9:25PM
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @templesus the cost per second for restoring focus is reduced overall. The ability itself costs more mag, but the duration was increased, too. (Recasting Restoring focus on live (in PVP thats every 8 s) costs ~213 mag/s. Recasting Restoring Focus on PTS (due to the changes thats every 18 s) costs ~150 mag/s. So for those using restoring focus, the abilty got cheaper ... in most scenarios.

As far as i understood the channeled focus morph got hit with the cost-increase (a consequence to the sustain nerf).
    Edited by Elsterchen on July 18, 2018 9:41PM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about they do the smart thing for once which I've been suggesting for over 2 years now. Make templar abilities fire damage OR if they don't want to give them that, GIVE THEM A MAGIC DAMAGE PASSIVE, add it into the spearwall passive. Increases magic damage done to targets by 4% / 8%

It baffles me why this hasnt been suggested by our class reps, this would increase their overall damage and give them what is needed to be some what competitive.
    #MOREORBS
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @templesus the cost per second for restoring focus is reduced overall. The ability itself costs more mag, but the duration was increased, too. (Recasting Restoring focus on live (in PVP thats every 8 s) costs ~213 mag/s. Recasting Restoring Focus on PTS (due to the changes thats every 18 s) costs ~150 mag/s. So for those using restoring focus, the abilty got cheaper ... in most scenarios.

As far as i understood the channeled focus morph got hit with the cost-increase (a consequence to the sustain nerf).

8 seconds? I maybe recast it every 20, a skilled stamplar knows how to re-enter the rune and reset the timer, to efficiently use it. I don’t know a single stamplar who recast every 8 seconds nor had the magicka to sustain doing that without running a build with mag sustain built into it.

In reference to your misunderstanding of the changes to restoring focus cost as well - directly from the patch notes:
    Rune Focus

This ability and its morphs now apply Major Ward, Major Resolve, and all morph effects to you directly for 15 seconds.

Increased the cost of this ability and Restoring Focus to 2700 Magicka from 1890.

An increase in cost of 800 magicka, roughly 40% increase in cost.

At 20 seconds a cast (for me personally and stamplars I know) 1890/20 equates to about 94.5 mag per second on live, whereas on PTS, where the new duration is 15 seconds(not 18 which is what you seem to believe) 2700/15 equates to about 180 mag per second.

Overall, per second of Restoring focus buff, we are looking at a sustain hit of roughly 100%, double, by the ability as it stands on PTS. Gigantic nerf.

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but it’s not from the patch notes. I suggest reading them. The data you seem to have is severely incorrect. Also, this is for everyone, if you don’t play the class, please refrain from giving feedback as we are hard at work trying to get these classes changed for the better. In contingency, refuting what we are saying with false data is only a detriment to this.
    Edited by templesus on July 18, 2018 11:02PM
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the proposed change for restoring focus. It's the perfect middle ground for the direction devs have taken the skill.

The buffs should just be refreshable. There really was no need for a cost increase at all. I proposed in another thread that a quick fix is just to have Rune be an active and a toggle. If the skill is on your bar you get the benefits and if you cast the skill, it drops the rune and works like live. For me the biggest peeve of the skill is having to constantly recast it while on the defensive.

As per Radiant, I don't think you can ever really balance that kind of skill in this kind of game. Radiant Glory is probably the step in the right direction over oppression tbh. It's an execute that provides options. If both my opponent and I are in execute I'd be willing to gamble that I'll win the execute fight since mine also heals me. So maybe having acceptable (just under strong) damage with situational utility would help bring this skill in line. Ex, better healing, magicka return, heals up to 2 allies, applies minor/major maim when in execute etc.

Javelin is a fun skill, but it needs a bit of help. Maybe have it grant snare removal (not immunity) and Major Expedition for 1.5 seconds on cast. Would help minimize the drawbacks of the skill.

Also @Joy_Division any idea on what the intended role of sun shield is?
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiocity @Joy_Division what was Restoring Spirit like in the beta?

I briefly played during that time but never saw the skill, what was it like?
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it was restore 4% max magic every time you cast an ability
  • Tetter
    Tetter
    Soul Shriven
    I don't know what you wrote really but I must say I admire and appreciate your dedication to just balance
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templesus wrote: »

8 seconds? I maybe recast it every 20, a skilled stamplar knows how to re-enter the rune and reset the timer, to efficiently use it. I don’t know a single stamplar who recast every 8 seconds nor had the magicka to sustain doing that without running a build with mag sustain built into it.

In reference to your misunderstanding of the changes to restoring focus cost as well - directly from the patch notes:
    Rune Focus

At 20 seconds a cast (for me personally and stamplars I know) 1890/20 equates to about 94.5 mag per second on live, whereas on PTS, where the new duration is 15 seconds(not 18 which is what you seem to believe) 2700/15 equates to about 180 mag per second.

Overall, per second of Restoring focus buff, we are looking at a sustain hit of roughly 100%, double, by the ability as it stands on PTS. Gigantic nerf.

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but it’s not from the patch notes. I suggest reading them. The data you seem to have is severely incorrect. Also, this is for everyone, if you don’t play the class, please refrain from giving feedback as we are hard at work trying to get these classes changed for the better. In contingency, refuting what we are saying with false data is only a detriment to this.

FYI:

skcn848oi6c1.jpg

Now lets compare these 2:

Cost on live:

Minimum duration: 1815mag / 8s = ~ 227 mag/s ; Maximum duration: 1215 / 18s = ~101 mag/s (if you stand in and/or return to your rune (sometimes two times) during 18s uptime )

Cost on PTS:

2592 mag/ 18s = ~ 144 mag/s (didn't check what factors the cost reduction, its not a gear/food thingy for sure so maybe one of our passives yields that whooping 6mag/s decrease, taking base costs we are are at: 2700 mag / 18s = ~150 mag/s).

Lets just stick to ~150 mag/s for easier comparison to equal the cost for the live version of the ability, this means you need to return to your rune every 12,1 s.

As for you getting personal here:
    -> Now please show me 100 PVP fights on live in which you (your friends/everyone) are able to stand in, or return to, your restoring rune focus (every 8 s to keep up the major defence buff/ or at least every 8-12s for your argument of a cost increase on restoring focus) please ... and I might consider I am just too stupid to use this ability properly. :)

After all, thats the way you always play, right? o:)

And yes, just consider there are stamplars that don't like to loose their major defence buff during combat (i.e. recast restoring focus every 20s), as this isn't a viable strategy when wearing medium armor. (Imo)

Maybe you like to highlight the mag-sustain component of restoring focus to me aswell, I plainly seem to fail to recognize it.

Petty please.
    Edited by Elsterchen on July 19, 2018 8:14AM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rune Focus

FYI:

skcn848oi6c1.jpg

Now lets compare these 2:

Cost on live:

Minimum duration: 1815mag / 8s = ~ 227 mag/s ; Maximum duration: 1215 / 18s = ~101 mag/s (if you stand in and/or return to your rune (sometimes two times) during 18s uptime )

Cost on PTS:

2592 mag/ 18s = ~ 144 mag/s (didn't check what factors the cost reduction, its not a gear/food thingy for sure so maybe one of our passives yields that whooping 6mag/s decrease, taking base costs we are are at: 2700 mag / 18s = ~150 mag/s).

Lets just stick to ~150 mag/s for easier comparison to equal the cost for the live version of the ability, this means you need to return to your rune every 12,1 s.

As for you getting personal here:
    -> Now please show me 100 PVP fights on live in which you (your friends/everyone) are able to stand in, or return to, your restoring rune focus (every 8 s to keep up the major defence buff/ or at least every 8-12s for your argument of a cost increase on restoring focus) please ... and I might consider I am just too stupid to use this ability properly. :)

After all, thats the way you always play, right? o:)

And yes, just consider there are stamplars that don't like to loose their major defence buff during combat (i.e. recast restoring focus every 20s), as this isn't a viable strategy when wearing medium armor. (Imo)

Maybe you like to highlight the mag-sustain component of restoring focus to me aswell, I plainly seem to fail to recognize it.

Petty please.

If you return to your rune on live, can't you get 25s out of it? Wouldn't that be 1815/25 = ~70 mag/s?

Maybe I've read that wrong.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • frozzzen101
    frozzzen101
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the things ZoS can do is to rework Radiant to act like Zaan beam. Basically give us a morph that drops channeling thingie, tether yourself to target, give it counterplay in pvp by breaking it with LoS and break it if target moves X meters from you. Make said morph a close combat thing that goes well with jabs and make both morphs to scale off and use your highest resource pool. You would add delayed damage spell in pvp and actually give pve templars execute worth slotting on your skill bar for both stam and mag templar variants.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #makejbeamgreatagain #giveusblindinglight!
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

If you return to your rune on live, can't you get 25s out of it? Wouldn't that be 1815/25 = ~70 mag/s?

Maybe indeed, because as far as I can see there isn't even video proof, that everyone (exept myself) is able to return to their rune every 8s on a regular basis during fast paced combat (i.e. PVP). Let alone every 12 s, just to get an equal cost efficiency ratio.

... and you add the worst case scenario for keeping all buffs up for all possible time, to the argument? You are aware that you just put an extra requirement to the table? In case you didn't notice: to keep buffs up for 25s requires one to return to the rune every 8s after leaving AND at exactly 17s after cast.

In short: if this is the way templars play restoring focus, i am really sorry to be a dumb ass player asking for a somewhat usable major defence ability.

However, there should be plenty of video footage showing that this indeed is the way templars play restoring focus, you are welcome to provide it.

This is how I percieve restoring focus during fast paced combat: Virtually no time to stand in your own rune, because my enemy just happens to move -> and beeing forced to recast restoring focus much more often then every 18s. Well untill i run out of mag, ofc, in that case I obviously have to live with my behind uncovered during battle. (btw. I tested and the later option isn't viable) ;)

edit: Even in more predictable combat situations (PVE) restoring focus is more a nuissance then a viable defence startegy, imo.
    I take the PTS version of restoring focus happily, any time. I even consider using it, which is much more then what is to be said about the live version of restoring focus... and yes, I did try to use that ability on live.
    Edited by Elsterchen on July 19, 2018 5:45PM
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Channeled Focus - probably more efficient to just slot Repentance for the passive regen then to use this skill for anything other than the armor buff. Radiant Aura really needs to be reworked if this Channeled Focus change goes through; there should be one resource management skill in the Templar kit that actually returns resources efficiently.

Re: Radiant Destruction - I've suggested this before but I still think that if this skill scaled inversely with range it could be made mathematically useful without generating so much hatred from the PvP community. Make it very powerful in close range and very weak at long range, and then the caster has to put themself at risk to make it worth the cast and there is obvious counterplay available to the target. Such a change might even make the broken Templar gap closer worth slotting, which I'll say I have not seen anyone use in PvP for at least a year.

Re: Dark Flare/Solar Barrage - this is where Templars keep getting hit the hardest; changes to mechanics like empower that make a skill completely worthless but doesn't register as a nerf to the devs. This is where I hope the class reps help in the future: when the devs are tugging at one end of a spaghetti noodle you guys can point out the mess they're making at the other end.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully someone as ZoS will see how my thread has been derailed by bickering between templars over these changes as plain-as-day evidence that said changes are not making Templars excited to play the next update.
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully someone as ZoS will see how my thread has been derailed by bickering between templars over these changes as plain-as-day evidence that said changes are not making Templars excited to play the next update.

As a templar player, I simply dread every patch. The content is great but they mess class points in a convoluted and unnecessary way.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Maybe indeed, because as far as I can see there isn't even video proof, that everyone (exept myself) is able to return to their rune every 8s on a regular basis during fast paced combat (i.e. PVP). Let alone every 12 s, just to get an equal cost efficiency ratio.

... and you add the worst case scenario for keeping all buffs up for all possible time, to the argument? You are aware that you just put an extra requirement to the table? In case you didn't notice: to keep buffs up for 25s requires one to return to the rune every 8s after leaving AND at exactly 17s after cast.

In short: if this is the way templars play restoring focus, i am really sorry to be a dumb ass player asking for a somewhat usable major defence ability.

However, there should be plenty of video footage showing that this indeed is the way templars play restoring focus, you are welcome to provide it.

This is how I percieve restoring focus during fast paced combat: Virtually no time to stand in your own rune, because my enemy just happens to move -> and beeing forced to recast restoring focus much more often then every 18s. Well untill i run out of mag, ofc, in that case I obviously have to live with my behind uncovered during battle. (btw. I tested and the later option isn't viable) ;)

edit: Even in more predictable combat situations (PVE) restoring focus is more a nuissance then a viable defence startegy, imo.
    I take the PTS version of restoring focus happily, any time. I even consider using it, which is much more then what is to be said about the live version of restoring focus... and yes, I did try to use that ability on live.

I’m not going to bother trying to convince someone who is so ignorant to the class as a whole, especially when they are so close minded they literally ask for 100 video clips of gameplay to be proven wrong.

You don’t even know how the ability functions on live, and yet are making broad claims and assumptions as if you main the class. Like I said before, just don’t, people who actually play their respective main classes are working hard to have them changed for the better and people like you who don’t even know how the ability FUNCTIONS come along and continue to hold us back.

TL;DR

I will no longer be responding to you on the subject of stamplars. I am open to intelligent discussion elsewhere, but your false knowledge on core abilities (someone else had to tell you how restoring focus functions on live, being a max of 26 seconds uptime) along with your flat out ignorance to ask for 100 clips to be proven wrong, has lost you your right to debate me on the subject. Take care.

Sure, instead of placing a wall of text, something along the line off: "Yeah I didn't even find a single video with any player able to keep restoring focus up for 25s." would have done. I understand, i didn't find one either.

As for getting personal (again): I happily return that advice of yours: please refrain from judging abilities you didn't at least try to use. Let alone exaggerate about the way you always use it. ;)

Enjoy live.
    Edited by Elsterchen on July 19, 2018 7:52PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they are showing a wee bit of love to the beam. I'll take it.

I can live with the changes to Rune... I suppose the cost increase could be warranted but what I dislike is that these changes are just more turd-polishing instead of the re-working that we actually need.

Instead of the additional resistance buff can we please have an offensive element? I really want a root+damage like the Eternal Hunt Rune as a way to create a gap or punish gap closer spammers.

Dks got yet another huge mobility buff, further devaluing Extended Rit and further widening the gap between Templars and everyone else in terms of speed and mobility. Can we PLEASE get some updates in this department?

Edited by Solariken on July 19, 2018 6:43PM
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of Templar own skills underperform. Templar needs blinding flashes for defense, more recovery, useful execute, more dps to most of the own skills, perhaps cc and much lover spell cost on class shields (one morph based on magic).
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    11 second parses
    cringe cringe cringe cringe
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • iceman784
    iceman784
    ✭✭✭
    Bro, dont you have target dummies with more health? I'll even gift you some if you're on PC EU
  • Fallewarrior
    Fallewarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for many magplar buffs because they really need it. But you really need to compare parses on a 6million dummy. 12 seconds is nothing.. First hit crit or not crit already influences it.
    Hocus Pocus Grim Focus
    -Fallen | TICK TOCK TORMENTERR | IMMORTAL MEMERR | GRYPHON HEART
    HODOR!

Worlds First Tick Tock & Disassembly General (No death speedrun HM vHoF)
    Worlds First vAS Hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest clear, and hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest HM Nodeathspeedrun (Gryphon Heart)

PC/EU
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inig0 wrote: »
    11 second parses
    cringe cringe cringe cringe

If you want to set up multiple 6 million target dummies such that they die at the same time so one doesn't re-spawn and mess up the test, you are by all means welcome to spent your time productively and make a positive testing contribution to the PTS.
    iceman784 wrote: »
    Bro, dont you have target dummies with more health? I'll even gift you some if you're on PC EU

Thanks for the offer, but the number of dummies is not the issue.
    Edited by Joy_Division on July 19, 2018 10:42PM
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm...befuddled I suppose? Like why do Precursor tests? What was the point of the test? To show burst changes for PvP? To show PvE changes?

For the burst potential, sure, Precursor is fine. But if your idea is to showcase PvE changes, then as others have mentioned, do 6mil dummy tests to showcase sustain changes and DPS changes.

Right now, I can't take those tests seriously because they're 11 seconds long. Unless your point is to showcase the changes in burst potential, then there's nothing that your tests can prove or disprove since the disparity between individual parses that short will be enormous.
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch