The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Has anyone who supports the gold jewelry upgrade costs ACTUALLY upgraded any jewelry to gold?

• griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just as the title states. I'm curious as to how many pieces of jewelry the proponents of the new system have actually upgraded to gold.

If you have upgraded tons of jewelry to gold and want to comment on here, go ahead.

It's easy enough to say that it enriches the game somehow and gives us "something to work for", but I want to see some evidence that there's actually a finish line here and not just people talking about something they'll never actually achieve.

Personally, I don't know of a single person in either of my 2 500 person trade guilds who's upgraded a single piece to purple, let alone gold.

Just because very few people have actually upgraded to gold to this point doesn't mean they can't have the opinion that the system is fine the way it is. You sound like one of those people that think that just because I'm not a woman means I can't have opinions on things that affect women.

I encourage all opinions here. But so far, nobody has made a good, cohesive argument about why the system needs to be so restrictive, or how that is healthy for the game. It seems like all we're getting is "well it's okay because I'm okay with the grind". Nobody is commenting on whether the grind is healthy or appropriate, or reasonable, or sane lol.

It's fine if you think the system is fine the way it is. I disagree, and I'm using your testimonial, and the testimonials of everyone else saying "no, but....." as examples of why the system is not okay.

Because, at the end of the day, whatever reasoning you give to support the system is irrelevant to my point, which is that most players simply aren't able to make full use of the current system. No qualifiers. No excuses. Your answer is just "no".

That, in my opinion, makes it a colossal failure. It's not a raid, it's a crafting profession. We shouldn't be encouraging such exclusivity and horrible grinds for something as transient as jewelry. Everyone is welcome to debate this opinion, but let's not debate facts :smile:

Edit: And I know this thread is about gold, but the whole plating system in general is a point of concern. It is only lessened for blue / purple because it takes less plates. That being said, even purple is excessive in terms of cost (right now it's 80-90k to purp a ring).

I actually agree, I think the system is flawed and excessive. I was really looking forward to crafting different combinations of sets with jewelry and the new 5x5x2 gear system for everyone (2H and staves), but I can't even craft the gear I want because I have to research 1 trait at a time, which is going to take forever; kind of defeats the purpose of introducing the new system in the first place if I'm not going to be able to use it for weeks/months and then probably won't even have enough crafting materials to do it anyway.
    Edited by griffkhalifa on July 2, 2018 5:59PM
    PS4 NA
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have almost two items golded.

Honestly it isn't the gold upgrade that irritates me. Its supposed to be the equal to Vet raid quality gear, and crafters SHOULD work for it. It honestly isn't impossible, and hard core crafters do upwards of X10 dailies every day <writs>. That easily nets you 40-50K, and 1 dust costs roughly 8-9K. It might takes a bit, but it isn't that bad.

What is however annoying the Green/blue/purple upgrades. I feel they don't need to have the same grind. It makes it so that making lower level rings/necks is penalizing you for upgrading them to even green. New players will get easily turned off by this.

Drop the grind on lower quality, keep it on gold.
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At my age, I'll be dead before I ever gather enough mats to upgrade jewelry to gold.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

Honestly it isn't the gold upgrade that irritates me. Its supposed to be the equal to Vet raid quality gear, and crafters SHOULD work for it. It honestly isn't impossible, and hard core crafters do upwards of X10 dailies every day <writs>. That easily nets you 40-50K, and 1 dust costs roughly 8-9K. It might takes a bit, but it isn't that bad.

What is however annoying the Green/blue/purple upgrades. I feel they don't need to have the same grind. It makes it so that making lower level rings/necks is penalizing you for upgrading them to even green. New players will get easily turned off by this.

This is my biggest issue with the system. I really couldn't care less if gold jewelry is expensive because for the most part anyone who is going to see a difference between purple and gold can earn it through vet trials or just buy from the golden.
    The issue from the start was that the system is not accessibility to new players and unlike every other crafting profession is not something the average player can experiment with. Because of the 10X requirements to make plates the system will never be accessible to the average player.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my biggest issue with the system. I really couldn't care less if gold jewelry is expensive because for the most part anyone who is going to see a difference between purple and gold can earn it through vet trials or just buy from the golden.
    The issue from the start was that the system is not accessibility to new players and unlike every other crafting profession is not something the average player can experiment with. Because of the 10X requirements to make plates the system will never be accessible to the average player.

I'll admit, in terms of health to the overall game, this is probably the bigger of the two issues, yes. IF I had to see one change made, reducing the plate costs to 1 green > 1 blue > 1 purple or 1 green > 1 blue > 2 purple at most would be best.

I still think that gold jewelry shouldn't just be this forever out-of-reach commodity though. Making it comparable to current jewelry costs from the gold vendor would be something like 2-3 plates instead of 8.

The reason I'm structuring my suggestions this way is that I doubt they'll be getting rid of the plate system, regardless of how stupid it is. It's much easier from a coding perspective to just reduce costs than to overhaul the system entirely, at least I'd assume so.
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    Lol, you support it because it is hard?

Yes, I do, and I will welcome any change whatsoever that makes crafting even harder. Crafting is ridiculously easy in this game to the point where it is virtually worthless to invest skill point in it for anything else than personal use. Crafting is a complete joke, and the jewelry crafting requirements are the first time ZoS let go of the "everyone is a winner" carebear mentality. More of this please.
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭

I'll admit, in terms of health to the overall game, this is probably the bigger of the two issues, yes. IF I had to see one change made, reducing the plate costs to 1 green > 1 blue > 1 purple or 1 green > 1 blue > 2 purple at most would be best.

I still think that gold jewelry shouldn't just be this forever out-of-reach commodity though. Making it comparable to current jewelry costs from the gold vendor would be something like 2-3 plates instead of 8.

The reason I'm structuring my suggestions this way is that I doubt they'll be getting rid of the plate system, regardless of how stupid it is. It's much easier from a coding perspective to just reduce costs than to overhaul the system entirely, at least I'd assume so.

The solution would be easy to implement. For raw green grains intead of 1/10 refining rate make it 8/10 so this means you only need 4 raw plates instead of 20. Then make blue 6/10, purple 4/10, and gold 2/10. This would be the easiest solution if they still want to keep grains and would be a win for everyone.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make it the same as others? I've done writs everyday since release and had 1 gold mat, at this rate I'd need another 79 more months to upgrade 1 piece.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do, and I will welcome any change whatsoever that makes crafting even harder. Crafting is ridiculously easy in this game to the point where it is virtually worthless to invest skill point in it for anything else than personal use. Crafting is a complete joke, and the jewelry crafting requirements are the first time ZoS let go of the "everyone is a winner" carebear mentality. More of this please.
    There is nothing "hard" in JC. it's like treading water. You can as well do or not do and it does not make any difference.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

There is nothing "hard" in JC. it's like treading water. You can as well do or not do and it does not make any difference.

I'd give up. We already tried explaining how pressing "E" then "R" for 100 hours isn't actually hard, but tedious. Different people have different opinions, but it's clear that the opinion of "grinding tens of thousands of mats is hard" is in the vast minority here, as it should be.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the long grind, but I agree the plating system is just a joke. Takes way too many mats to make platings and too many to upgrade. Not too mention the cost. Jewelry should have been in the game from the start, but not like this
  • seventyfive
    seventyfive
    ✭✭✭
    Just as the title states. I'm curious as to how many pieces of jewelry the proponents of the new system have actually upgraded to gold.

If you have upgraded tons of jewelry to gold and want to comment on here, go ahead.

It's easy enough to say that it enriches the game somehow and gives us "something to work for", but I want to see some evidence that there's actually a finish line here and not just people talking about something they'll never actually achieve.

Personally, I don't know of a single person in either of my 2 500 person trade guilds who's upgraded a single piece to purple, let alone gold.

I have crafted, bought and sold crafted golden jewellry. And the prices are perfect the way they are. I wouldn't want them to go down.

Full golden jewellry gives you maybe 0.5% better stats over having everything else gold and purple jewellry, if even that. Depends on what set it is. In most cases, the bonus will be significantly smaller than 0.5%. There is literally nothing in this game which requires that <0.5% better stats. Nothing. Nada.

It's an optional min-maxing for players who are willing to spend time to get it. For others, they are in no shape or form in "need" of it.
    Edited by seventyfive on July 13, 2018 2:39PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Because I don't have Summerset, I'm looking at this from an entirely different viewpoint. Do I want everybody else suddenly running around with gold jewelry I can't get because P2W?

A good long grind lets ZOS adjust the game so that with or without Summerset is not a major balance issue.

Gold jewelry isn’t a major balance issue. The difference between gold and purple means very little.