The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Has anyone who supports the gold jewelry upgrade costs ACTUALLY upgraded any jewelry to gold?

Crafts_Many_Boxes
Crafts_Many_Boxes
✭✭✭✭✭
Just as the title states. I'm curious as to how many pieces of jewelry the proponents of the new system have actually upgraded to gold.

If you have upgraded tons of jewelry to gold and want to comment on here, go ahead.

It's easy enough to say that it enriches the game somehow and gives us "something to work for", but I want to see some evidence that there's actually a finish line here and not just people talking about something they'll never actually achieve.

Personally, I don't know of a single person in either of my 2 500 person trade guilds who's upgraded a single piece to purple, let alone gold.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be more interested in knowing if any of those people who defended the abhorrent upgrade costs have actually completed any jewelry master writs. You know who you are...
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have enough material but I will in the next few months. Then I will be good to go. Also I assume by this time next year the market will be saturated with mats.

I have no issue with the cost. I am patient and do not mind collecting what I need. I played everquest so this grind is nothing.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only point to upgrading jewelry is trial sets (only if you can't obtain them in higher qualities yourself) and crafted jewelry.

Every dungeon or overland set will eventually come up in the golden merchant. So its a matter of patience.

Crafted Jewelry is the only thing you actually have to invest the time in to make golden. Everything else can eventually be obtained through in game means.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at 44 chronium grains! It's a horribly slow grind needing several hours of harvesting the elusive seams each day. Just to get that achievement and a gold ring for my main. The system might have sounded good on paper, but if you really make it 10x as slow at least put enough raw material in the game... #yesitisbroken
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's important to note that there will always be some subset of the population that are ok with any given aspect of the game. I'm positive that there are some people that are fine with a few months of gameplay to upgrade one piece to gold, just as there would be some percentage of people that would be fine if that same grind literally took 17 years to accomplish. The question isn't whether some people are fine with it. The question is, how many people are fine with it. My understanding is that the vast majority of players are not cool with the current upgrade costs and I don't know of a single person that can find any logical way to justify the jewelry master writ reward to cost ratio.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm at 44 chronium grains! It's a horribly slow grind needing several hours of harvesting the elusive seams each day. Just to get that achievement and a gold ring for my main. The system might have sounded good on paper, but if you really make it 10x as slow at least put enough raw material in the game... #yesitisbroken

Yeah, I'm probably more interested in the achievement than crafting. My tank would really like a gold necklace, so may I would craft a Torug's gold necklace for the achievement. Unless I start doing trials or Ebon necklace appears in golden vendor. Then maybe a Juliano's necklace since I use that in multiple alts.

So much cheaper to just buy gold jewelry from people trying to get gold for their AP.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on June 15, 2018 4:46PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issue with the cost to upgrade jewelry but also do not plan on going out of my way to craft gold jewelry. Slowly but surely I am collecting the materials to craft gold jewelry. It will take me quite a bit more time but I'm not in any particular rush. I mostly want it for the achievement and new gold dye.

I do think that the amount of writ vouchers returned for master jewelry writs should be increased dramatically to make them even remotely worth doing.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am OK with current situation - either you belong to those 1% or less of total number of players who has skill to see difference in DPS/healing/whatever(and in this case there are tons of way to get those couple millions you need for it in couple days, at least on PC) or difference provided is negligible, and it is only to pet your ego.

As for master writs(same for achievement) - don't do them now. Wait 2-3 moths and price for all but gold will be dirty cheap -- MMO is not and should not be about getting everything right now, months/half year it is pretty good timeframe for anything which is not must have.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would suspect that most of the people who support the upgrade costs are not crafters but rather those who obtained gold jewelry by other means (trials, gold vendor) and think jewelry crafting needs to be obscenely grindy to "protect their investment".
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's important to note that there will always be some subset of the population that are ok with any given aspect of the game. I'm positive that there are some people that are fine with a few months of gameplay to upgrade one piece to gold, just as there would be some percentage of people that would be fine if that same grind literally took 17 years to accomplish. The question isn't whether some people are fine with it. The question is, how many people are fine with it. My understanding is that the vast majority of players are not cool with the current upgrade costs and I don't know of a single person that can find any logical way to justify the jewelry master writ reward to cost ratio.

The only skill line I'd be okay with grinding for 17 years would be our non-Dragonborn vestiges learning from the Greybeards how to use FUS RO DAH!
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like proponents are planning to make only one item or up to one set.

At the same time crafters' costs are twenty times higher than in other crafts.

All this while drop jewelry is silly easy to get - even goldens.
    Edited by helediron on June 15, 2018 6:42PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »
    I am OK with current situation - either you belong to those 1% or less of total number of players who has skill to see difference in DPS/healing/whatever(and in this case there are tons of way to get those couple millions you need for it in couple days, at least on PC) or difference provided is negligible, and it is only to pet your ego.

As for master writs(same for achievement) - don't do them now. Wait 2-3 moths and price for all but gold will be dirty cheap -- MMO is not and should not be about getting everything right now, months/half year it is pretty good timeframe for anything which is not must have.

So we are just supposed to use valuable space hoarding the master writs and hope that prices drop enough to make them profitable? Nah miss me with that.

The people who designed the master writs and the mat grind weren't on the same page. You can't claim otherwise.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have very poor reading comprehension.

Yes we know your in favor of the grind. Thats was not the question.
    Please reread the op and answer honesty. Without the prepetual dogma of your happy with it. Blah
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    People have very poor reading comprehension.

Yes we know your in favor of the grind. Thats was not the question.
    Please reread the op and answer honesty. Without the prepetual dogma of your happy with it. Blah

I'm fine with the grind. If I'm in the position where I want to upgrade a crafted jewelry to gold or get tired of waiting on the Golden Vendor, I'll upgrade it. But I don't plan on using crafted jewelry in my current builds, so I,don't have an immediate need.

But seriously, my timetable for upgrading to gold is the sort of timetable I set for waiting on the Golden Vendor. It'll happen eventually, I'm in no rush. I dont need it and when I do, I'll be able to do it because I've been steadily collecting mats and researching traits as I find them.

Or in other words, I'm fine with the grind because I'm treating it as a slow process, like an alternative for waiting on the Golden Vendor to drop my desired jewelry who-knows-when or never. I'm not trying to grind my way to gold jewelry in the 4-ish weeks I've been playing Summerset. For anyone trying to grind their way to gold jewelry ASAP, yeah I can see where the impossibility of a quick grind would be frustrating.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I agree with you, @VaranisArano, we could be waiting a long time for the newest dungeon sets to show up at the Golden.

If ZOS does follow through with everything being sold at the Golden (and follows through with the PvP event itself), we'll have a good idea of what the loot tables look like.
  • Aluneth
    Aluneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep reading the same thing from people: "I'll gladly wait 2,3,6+ months" or "I've had worse grinds".

I don't mind waiting myself, and I've had worse grinds than this. That doesn't change the fact that they're introducing a new feature in an expansion (chapter), and expect you to wait half a year to use it. We're not talking about a special rank or title (vanity), that it takes a long time to get. We're talking about upgrading an item through your crafting profession, something that should have a natural progression (like the other crafting professions).

When people choose to buy rings/amulets instead of crafting/upgrading them, because one is achievable (the old way) while the other seems impossible to achieve (new feature), something is wrong. It's bad game design, and there is no way around that.
    Edited by Aluneth on June 16, 2018 10:03AM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just as the title states. I'm curious as to how many pieces of jewelry the proponents of the new system have actually upgraded to gold.

If you have upgraded tons of jewelry to gold and want to comment on here, go ahead.

It's easy enough to say that it enriches the game somehow and gives us "something to work for", but I want to see some evidence that there's actually a finish line here and not just people talking about something they'll never actually achieve.

Personally, I don't know of a single person in either of my 2 500 person trade guilds who's upgraded a single piece to purple, let alone gold.

none as yet. it was not my plan to rush at it, rather build up stocks to the point where i have sufficient to experiment with it.

cast your mind back to the start of the game, a month or so after the start.

enchanting.... how many people could make top tier gold glyphs?

and how many people were on the forums complaining about the 'grind'?

the answers, in order, are none and lots.

i'm not saying enchant and jc are the same, but there is an equivalence. here are items that with give a distinct enhancement to a toon. can you get them straight away? no.

i'm fine with that.

as for the master writs they are sitting in the bank along with about 3 dozen other low reward writs that i can't be bothered to do. i'll get round to them one day, maybe.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To people saying "oh the wait is fine you shouldn't want everything right away or in a handful of weeks" and so on, the thing you're not taking into consideration is aside from Enchanting, which is the next biggest crafting pita to level, all the other crafting professions can easily be maxed and you can easily get the mats for them within a handful of weeks, sooner if your're really dedicated and get friends/guildmates to send you Intricate and crafted stuff to break down.

Then we have JC, which takes a long while to level, doesn't let us cycle out old pre-Summerset jewelry via decon for some Gods-forsaken reason, and most importantly, takes 10 'pieces' to make a single actual improvement temper AS WELL as the same being the case for Trait stones.

None of the other crafts require you to get 10 pieces of a Hemming or a Rosin or a Temping Alloy to make one full temper. They don't require you to get 10 pieces of an Emerald or a Turquoise or Fire Opal. Imagine, if you will, having to collect 10 pieces of a Potent Nirncrux in order to make a single one.

That's where the problem with JC lies. The tempers drop in pieces that are just as rare as getting the actual full temper from deconning a green+ tier item. We might as well all be trying to collect those 10 Nirncrux pieces when it comes to needing to get the Legendary-tier grains. And that's wildly out of line in comparison to the rest of the crafting lines.

I'd personally rather level Enchanting all over again than deal with JC.
    Edited by Arunei on June 17, 2018 2:26PM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it change anything if they have or have not upgraded jewelry?
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the sake of your sanity you are much better off pretending jewelry crafting has not been added to the game yet.
  • I_B_Squishy
    I_B_Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    I have no issue with the cost. I am patient and do not mind collecting what I need. I played everquest so this grind is nothing.

I played Everquest also and my desire to grind died with that game!

• Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checking in. Not a single person has said they've crafted any gold pieces of jewelry yet.

But I'm glad everyone is having fun taking their time with the profession, we can all compare our gold jewelry in 2020 when the meta has changed 4 times since today :smile:
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the thirst for gold, but the bonuses gold jewelry grants are way too low in contrast with the punishing costs required for the upgrade.

If my build doesn't work because I've only got purple jewelry and need the extra 30 health/magicka/stam or so, then that build just ain't that good.

This isn't even mentioning the risks of paying through the nose for something that just might get nerfed in the next patch...
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't and don't know anyone who has. But I like it. Personally I would have liked the ability to upgrade to gold to not even be implemented in the first place. So I'm quite happy with how difficult it is. :)
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friends of mine who have spent years of time and thousands of dollars on ESO have left because of the rediculous jewelry grind, no joke... this absurd grind is driving off some of your big spenders
    Edited by _Ahala_ on June 17, 2018 11:05PM
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I haven't and don't know anyone who has. But I like it. Personally I would have liked the ability to upgrade to gold to not even be implemented in the first place. So I'm quite happy with how difficult it is. :)

This is where I fail to understand your reasoning. Trials sets are the best anyways, so who cares if someone is wearing a golded overland set? Does this upset you or because pvp can't sell 250k-500k pieces Cyrodiil jewels? Pvp has plenty of stuff to sell with motifs, gear. Now new traits and jewelry. Jewelry should have been craftable day one. Making golded more difficult, but not so difficult that almost nobody can achieve it. Nodes are almost unseen. I still haven't even got one survey yet. The grind makes no sense. Same with the clam grind. Pointless...
  • Panomania
    Panomania
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with keeping materials for upgrading jewelry rare and pricey. The prices will eventually drop a bit, but they will always be far higher than the next most expensive upgrade mat (tempers) because of rarity built into the system. Not much for changing that, so we dont completely cheapen vet drops.

However....the master writ system for JC is fatally flawed, and anyone who argues otherwise obviously failed math. If the mats are to be exceptionally rare, voucher reward counts need to be higher or the hand in piece needs to shift down to green and blue and keep it at current reward levels.

Materials for JC are roughly 12 to 15 times the rarity (10 to 1 plus no hireling). Voucher rewards need to be at LEAST 10 times higher to compensate or we should just remove them from the master writ system.
    Edited by Panomania on June 18, 2018 5:38PM
    The opinions of others should always be heard, especially if they dont agree with your own! But you always reserve the right to laugh at them.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Panomania wrote: »
    I'm fine with keeping materials for upgrading jewelry rare and pricey. The prices will eventually drop a bit, but they will always be far higher than the next most expensive upgrade mat (tempers) because of rarity built into the system. Not much for changing that, so we dont completely cheapen vet drops.

However....the master writ system for JC is fatally flawed, and anyone who argues otherwise obviously failed math. If the mats are to be exceptionally rare, voucher reward counts need to be higher or the hand in piece needs to shift down to green and blue and keep it at current reward levels.

Materials for JC are roughly 12 to 15 times the rarity (10 to 1 plus no hireling). Voucher rewards need to be at LEAST 10 times higher to compensate or we should just remove them from the master writ system.

I agree with your take on master writs as they obviously don't fit the cost/reward scheme that was established with the other crafts. However, I remain unconvinced that the rarity should be maintained "so we don't completely cheapen vet drops" as you say.

Quality purple and gold jewelry rarity is an artificial legacy rarity created simply by the fact that until Summerset we could not upgrade the quality as we always could with the other 9 equipment slots. There is nothing intrinsically superior about gold or purple jewelry compared to gold or purple in the other 9 slots that would require jewelry upgrades to be harder to do. If a slot were to be carved out for special treatment due to the nature of the impact that slot has on performance when it's upgraded, it should be the weapon slots if there is one that needs that special rarity.

Additionally, the balance of crafted items vs. dropped items and crafting relevance has always depended on exactly that ability to upgrade drops in order to preserve that design direction that was so much talked about before and shortly after ESO release: we were told over and over that their goal was to always keep crafting relevant even at end-game even if that was just the token upgrade of drops that kept it that way. Without it or by making that upgrade ability much more rare, there is no contest and crafting becomes an undeniable niche pursuit relative to drops. And this is exactly what we're seeing with gold jewelry.

And lastly, even if we buy into the concept that there is something special about gold jewelry relative to other gold items, that rationale surely does not apply to green or blue or even purple jewelry, all of which drops often from various low difficulty activities such as dolmens, treasure chests, daily rewards, etc. The rationale for requiring 10X the upgrade mats for gold as legacy rarity protection totally does not apply to green, blue or purple and yet those quality tiers have exactly the same 10X requirement.
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    99sR1uZ.png

What comes with price cost of jewellery crafting, I'm completely fine with higher cost:
    When getting golden jewellery is pricey, some players are not going to bother and instead of farming/purchasing materials, these players are willing to complete veteran trials and purchase golden jewellery from the Golden Vendor at Cyrodiil during weekends and that's exactly how it's supposed to be imo.
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fiktius wrote: »
    99sR1uZ.png

Sorry to go off-topic but I didn't even bother looking at unlocks for that one... how's the Divine Gold, better than Ayleid?