Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

So eso can't do capes or cloaks?

Cladius30
Cladius30
✭✭✭✭✭
This I don't get...
This game engine is alot newer then alot of other games that have no issues doing cloaks. What is this the oops everything but cloaks engine we decided to use lol.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And the game runs a lot worse then basically any other big MMO, older or newer. This doesn't have to make sense.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its crazy imo
  • Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »
    This I don't get...
    This game engine is alot newer then alot of other games that have no issues doing cloaks. What is this the oops everything but cloaks engine we decided to use lol.

They can be done, but will operate like Cyrodill, no smooth flow and will lag behind you.....
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Ancient Korean MMOs can do them, it's weird.
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO can do crotch flaps but not capes?
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it = more lagg
    = please no.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't need to flap around like a fans up your butt. They can be fine just hanging behind like any other mmo
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it = more lagg
    = please no.

That's the thing they shouldn't make more lag
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't need to be animated.. They look just find draped behind motionless which shouldn't cause lag
    Edited by Cladius30 on July 12, 2018 11:14PM
  • Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it = more lagg
    = please no.

I know the ZOS team are professionals, but I don't think they could exceed the amount of lag and game breaking things they already have....
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jailbirdy wrote: »
    if it = more lagg
    = please no.

I know the ZOS team are professionals, but I don't think they could exceed the amount of lag and game breaking things they already have....

I don't buy that this adds lag... They make new hats and animals that should all cause lots of lag but don't yet a Cape will... Rrrright
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please. If a cape "causes lag" then all y'all annoying cosmetic pets lag even more. :p
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    Please. If a cape "causes lag" then all y'all annoying cosmetic pets lag even more. :p

Exactly.... How does a Cape cause more lag then all the other crown store stuff.. Makes no sense
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    They should fix the clipping issues with numerous costumes and styles first. Hip, knee, shoulder and elbow guards on several styles and costumes should also be looked at since many of them "float". The older styles should also be reworked since there are too many visual differences between them and the newer styles. There is also a odd texture bug not only on armor(especially head and chest pieces) also on shields; When you zoom out, a strange line appears on their textures.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7i8jRTE.jpg
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the art team It's probably a choice between "not animated, no clipping" vs. "animated, massive clipping issues"

Nothing stopping them from making a polymorph that includes a cape, though, since you don't have to account for a variety of different geometry.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the art team It's probably a choice between "not animated, no clipping" vs. "animated, massive clipping issues"

Nothing stopping them from making a polymorph that includes a cape, though, since you don't have to account for a variety of different geometry.

I wouldn't care if they weren't animated..would still be better then no option..
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most modern animation either ditches capes completely or does extremely simple drape models for them, because complex and realistic animations destroy the entire production budget.

One notable example is Star Wars Rebels, which held everything else back so they could afford sink the resources into rendering Vader's essential cape when he finally appeared.

Similarly, by not having everyone running around with capes, we budget into the game the opportunity to do more complex character models when needed. Boethiah, for instance.
    signing off
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the clipping issue complaints they have racked up perhaps this is an area they feel uneasy about approaching.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, the game started development with capes. Obviously, the game did not release with them.

I blame DX9. Capes and tails have to be animated and skinned, and they had to live within the limitations of DX9. They apparently could not get the capes and tails to animate well, and they ran into a situation where the capes and tails could be skinned, but only one at a time, not both at the same time. Since they wanted to dock the 2H and staff weapons on the back of the character, and capes were also getting in the way of that, they decided to drop capes and use the texture space to allow for higher definition weapon textures.

The lead technical artist that set this all up gave a presentation at GDC in 2015.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yet another reason why they should have went with a off the shelf solution instead of a home brewed engine.

The lag the wonky netcode the continual bugs capes, and so many other things would have been taken care of.

ESO is extremely popular....but just think where it would be if they used Unreal 4 (like Ashes of creation is currently using ) or another similar OTS solution.

Also that silly No Capes meme is really 2003 thinking..... Capes are part of Tamriel, they were actually wanted not only by fans but by developers.

To look at something that is woefully broken and just say Oh we don't need that or No you can't have that now is insipid.

Edited by Rain_Greyraven on July 13, 2018 1:35AM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »
    if it = more lagg
    = please no.

That's the thing they shouldn't make more lag

They have to create a new physics for them, a simple animation for a cloak/cape that can move in so many different ways wouldn't be a good idea, plus it'd probably look bad to have static cape/cloak movement.
    Master Debater
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    They have to create a new physics for them, a simple animation for a cloak/cape that can move in so many different ways wouldn't be a good idea, plus it'd probably look bad to have static cape/cloak movement.

They could actually use one of several OTS cloth physics engines (Havok is a terrible physics engine especially for cloth) that would work, but you still won't get the abilities of the Cry engine or Epics built in physics engines.
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on July 13, 2018 1:40AM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

• SakuraRush
    SakuraRush
    ✭✭✭

They could actually use one of several OTS cloth physics engines (Havok is a terrible physics engine especially for cloth) that would work, but you still won't get the abilities of the Cry engine or Epics built in physics engines.

You can't just toss things into the ESO code. That's how you get a lighting issue that breaks trials for a year.
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SakuraRush wrote: »

You can't just toss things into the ESO code. That's how you get a lighting issue that breaks trials for a year.

No one is talking about tossing......

Most physics engines are compatible to a specific language with proper integration (unless you just have a bad mess of code) adaptable OTS solutions work just fine. Many developers have already proved that to be true.

― Robert E. Howard

• Srednuas
    Srednuas
    ✭✭
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWaq6Pc8drM

Seen at 1:12, keep in mind pre release though, so once upon a time it was there...
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who's the genius behind ESO engine, but he/she deservesto get his soul locked into a soul gem and blasted into Oblivion.

- No underwater swimming;
    - No actually stairs climb;
    - No capes;
    - etc.

“Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, itll be in a 30 dollar expansion.

Elder scrolls online: Cloaks unlimited.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather not having cape than a cape that look like a cardboard behind my back that make my fps drop even further and clip through everything. The DW weapons clip through hips flap look bad enough.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cladius30

I do not know where you got the information that the game cannot do cloaks. I bet it can.

However Zos has stated they will not do cloaks. Cloaks, like anything else, does require game resources and Zos does not want the resources to go to cloaks.

So we will not have cloaks.

(But we actually do have cloaks with one of the hero costumes and bet we will get them again. They do not flow but hang static)