The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So eso can't do capes or cloaks?

• Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because everyone in ESO should have the chance to be a

43333962192_2ec055f817_o.png

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »
    They don't need to be animated.. They look just find draped behind motionless which shouldn't cause lag

People don't want draped and motionless. They want epic swirling and rippling.

• omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    Yep. Ancient Korean MMOs can do them, it's weird.

Not all are Korean. Lord of the Rings Online does cloaks pretty darn good.
  • Lord_Ninka
    Lord_Ninka
    ✭✭✭
    I guess people need to keep their wedding dress dry when it rains in cyrodiil.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they can design all sorts of clothing and costumes that have articles hanging about and all sorts of pets and mounts that have sparkles and magic yet a peice of fabric hanging off of the back is to much? Does any else think this is rediculous?

No, because I know that a few particle shooters ("sparkles and magic") is a hell of a lot easier / less engine load, than draping cloth. (and all those things attached to costumes are either small stuff bolted directly to belts/etc, or things like shoulders & hip plates that every complains about how badly they attach/animate/clip. And are still miles easier than 'a piece of fabric hanging off the back')

And yes, I know - you'd be fine with a sheet of cardboard stapled to your shoulders. Most of the cape fetishists wouldn't be.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on July 13, 2018 1:45PM
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a big stupid comparison to what I'm talking about. I can litterally use the same thing and take the cape off of that guy and say to you.. So you would rather look like this guy... Lol

It was a joke... un-knot thy panties.

plus so much more important stuff in this game that needs attention and cloaks/capes are so not in the top 1000 things....
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Here is the deal, to make a cloak, you need a frame to hang a mesh on. To make the mesh have shape and contour, it needs more frame elements. Each frame element has to be animated, rendered and shaded, on each movement, twitch and turn. Each animation takes up processing resources.

So, to have a cloak that looks at all aesthetically pleasing, takes lots of frame elements. You say just having it hang like a board on your back is OK, but really, that is just ugly, and kind of dumb looking. More people would complain about that, than not having cloaks in the game. The Hero costume that came out a while back should prove this to you.

Bottom line, the Cloaks you want, they can't put in the game, because the cloaks you want would turn this into a slide show, for everyone who plays the game. The cloaks they can put in the game, nobody wants to see.

Yep that is basically what Rich told us too...but

Ashes of Creation DC Universe Online, AoC and Rend would all like to have a word with you two.

But you are right it would be a slide show on this engine because they would do cloaks just like you described, meanwhile modern engines are starting to use GIS concepts with asset managers like Alienbrian (Oddly enough the really poorly functioning unity was the first ones to come up with the concept) that pulls said mesh and animation remotely so instead of a mesh you just have a outline which greatly reduces CPU/GPU impact....the limitation is unwanted synchronization (all cloaks move exactly the same way ) and you are also limited by the amount of diversification of cloaks you can have. Currently Unreal 4 dose it best with the CRy engine being a close second.

Edited by Rain_Greyraven on July 13, 2018 4:50PM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know they can't do cloaks. Nightblade should know.
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the game off line, and poof, no more lag only what your computer/console can handle. :)
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Undefwun wrote: »
    you really wanna be this guy?

captain-america.gif

This is a big stupid comparison to what I'm talking about. I can litterally use the same thing and take the cape off of that guy and say to you.. So you would rather look like this guy... Lol

capes are tied to superheroes and anime chars. Not sure how ESO fits in there.

So all the art work in eso that shows characters wearing cloaks is because they are trying to make them look like a super hero? Is this what your saying?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Undefwun wrote: »
    you really wanna be this guy?

captain-america.gif

capes are tied to superheroes and anime chars. Not sure how ESO fits in there.

So all the art work in eso that shows characters wearing cloaks is because they are trying to make them look like a super hero? Is this what your saying?

Clearly not but we do have capes in ESO. One of the "hero" costumes from the original animations for the game has a cape that just hangs there.

Beyond that, as stated before, Zos, and iirc Matt specifically state they will not do capes in this game.

Since players were clearly not pleased with the static cape on the hero costume Zos has no reason to even add lame static capes.
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO CAPES!

Theres a reason they dont wear capes in The Incredibles