The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

This sload preformance in PvP is completely broken. I cant even play solo anymore.

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't agree with a set like Sload's, I still question the wisdom of trying to play solo Rambo in a game designed and balanced around multiplayer MMO PvP.
    While it can be done by some very good players to some extent most should realize they are fighting a losing battle no matter how many sets/skills get nerfed.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't agree with a set like Sload's, I still question the wisdom of trying to play solo Rambo in a game designed and balanced around multiplayer MMO PvP.
    While it can be done by some very good players to some extent most should realize they are fighting a losing battle no matter how many sets/skills get nerfed.

If you take the time to read ZOS interviews about AvA while ESO was in development, you'll learn that it was designed to cater to solo, small group and large group playstyles.

It's not only supposed to be a big zergfest.

Solo should be challenging, yes. But that doesn't mean a few completely unskilled players with Sload's should be able to take down any player.
    Edited by zyk on June 23, 2018 7:59PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

If you take the time to read ZOS interviews about AvA while ESO was in development, you'll learn that it was designed to cater to solo, small group and large group playstyles.

But that is not what actually happened is it?
    Most in those interviews aren't even with ZOS anymore.
    Development has favored the zerg for the last couple of years.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 23, 2018 8:01PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not true. Most of the interviews were with Brian Wheeler. Regardless, saying that Cyrodiil wasn't designed for solo play is incorrect. And up until recently, solo play was still very viable. Sload's is the main offender, but not the only one.

Players have every right to express their opinions if they feel the recent game design is trampling on their playstyle. Hopefully ZOS not only fixes Sload's but thinks of this backlash before it introduces the next Sload's.

If we all shut up and took it, the ZOS reaction would be, "oh, I guess it's fine!"
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not true. Most of the interviews were with Brian Wheeler. Regardless, saying that Cyrodiil wasn't designed for solo play is incorrect. And up until recently, solo play was still very viable. Sload's is the main offender, but not the only one.

Players have every right to express their opinions if they feel the recent game design is trampling on their playstyle. Hopefully ZOS not only fixes Sload's but thinks of this backlash before it introduces the next Sload's.

If we all shut up and took it, the ZOS reaction would be, "oh, I guess it's fine!"

Sure you can play solo, but if you think you are going to play Rambo at hit and run on a group I'm in your going down.
    Attack my friends you pay the price no matter what OP cheese build you may be wearing. That's right, the ones that complain the most about an overpowered build are using one themselves.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can play solo, but if you think you are going to play Rambo at hit and run on a group I'm in your going down.
    Attack my friends you pay the price no matter what OP cheese build you may be wearing. That's right, the ones that complain the most about an overpowered build are using one themselves.

Not relevant to the discussion. I have no idea who you are or how good you are. That's not the point at all. This is a discussion about Sload's and the specific impact it has to solo players because how it affects counterplay.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not relevant to the discussion. I have no idea who you are or how good you are. That's not the point at all. This is a discussion about Sload's and the specific impact it has to solo players because how it affects counterplay.

Yes it counters your play style as it should. No one person in a broken build should be able to take on a group of players without having a counter. Go 1v1 or play battlefields if you want small scale. They screwed up and made Sload's stack, they will fix it.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 23, 2018 8:24PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it counters your play style as it should. No one person in a broken build should be able to take on a group of players without having a counter. Go 1v1 or play battlefields if you want small scale.

No one is saying they should. Good solo players choose a variety of counters while selecting gear and abilities to fit into their 5/2 ability/ultimate slots.

The issues with Sload's is that it is a proc damage set with an easy trigger condition, can easily have a high uptime, it can be stacked and also bypasses shields, block, all forms of mitigation, battlespirit and counters cloak.
    Edited by zyk on June 23, 2018 8:32PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you do know how good or bad the players using sload are?

That's what bothers me in a lot of these threads, "potatoes are now killing me!". How the hell do you know if the player is a potato? If I die to @Lexxypwns or a Potato with sload, the out come is the same, so how am I able to determine if it's not @Lexxypwns using sload?

And don't give me, "I've played x potatoes before" believe it or not, players can improve
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes it counters your play style as it should. No one person in a broken build should be able to take on a group of players without having a counter. Go 1v1 or play battlefields if you want small scale. They screwed up and made Sload's stack, they will fix it.

There are several counters especially to 1vX.

Curse stacking, PotL/ Purifying, poison stacking, bleeds+ sloads, siphoner, defile stacking, shieldbreaker and on and on

There are so many Xv1 tools in this game that you can wreck any single 1vX player without leaving him a single chance. It's often enough to use one of the things above and ruin the solo players day
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you do know how good or bad the players using sload are?

That's what bothers me in a lot of these threads, "potatoes are now killing me!". How the hell do you know if the player is a potato? If I die to @Lexxypwns or a Potato with sload, the out come is the same, so how am I able to determine if it's not @Lexxypwns using sload?

And don't give me, "I've played x potatoes before" believe it or not, players can improve

That’s exactly why it needs a nerf.. with sloads there’s no way to tell! That’s the whole problem lol
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Curse stacking, PotL/ Purifying, poison stacking, bleeds+ sloads, siphoner, defile stacking, shieldbreaker and on and on

There are so many Xv1 tools in this game that you can wreck any single 1vX player without leaving him a single chance. It's often enough to use one of the things above and ruin the solo players day

And every single one of those have had the same people trying to get them removed as well.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because we can use logic and reason. Read the actual criticisms about the set. It is OP because it has too many functions both in the form of damage and counters while being very easy to apply and maintain a high uptime.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because we can use logic and reason. Read the actual criticisms about the set. It is OP because it has too many functions both in the form of damage and counters while being very easy to apply and maintain a high uptime.

I'm not arguing for sload. Just an observation about what bugs me in a lot of posts.

I definitely posted about Sload in the PTS, one of the first to do so.

This potato argument has been around since I started. Usually was in reference to Curse or Cloak or Wings back in the day. It's just bothersome to hear it used so often.

Player skill isn't an argument.

Math is. A set that provides approximately 2.5k tooltip value (in CP) at 10% proc chance on any hit is Uber strong.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And every single one of those have had the same people trying to get them removed as well.

Yes because they scale exponentially with the amount of people outnumbering the target.

If you are hit by frags in a 1v1 or 1vX it will deal the same damage, also your own frag will work just as good in the 1v1 as it will perform in the 1vX.

If we use the following 3 things now to show how they work better in a Xv1 than in a 1v1 it may be more clear to you why they are a problem.

PotL: in a 1v1 the caster has to provide 100% of the damage and has a harder time finding an offensive window to maximise the damage output

In a Xv1 every additional enemy reduces the damage one individual has to apply to reach the full burst damage of an unblockable and undodgeable skill, this also works if the caster is a healbot that provides 0 other offensive pressure.

In a 1vX PotL makes a turn for the worst, your offensive window is highly limited and requires focusing one single opponent with all your damage.

Poisons:
    In a 1v1 your poison will be able to proc every 10 seconds on the same enemy and vise versa.

In a Xv1 you can be affected by any single poison effect in this game with absolutely no cooldown

And in a 1vX you can only apply the poison once every 10 seconds to one single enemy reducing it's overall effectiveness massively

Curse: in a 1v1 it works the same for everyone, both players can be affected by one curse at the time reducing their health on every explosion by being undodgeable, unblockable and uncloakable

In a Xv1 the solo player can be oneshotted with the only counterplay being purge (=/= not reliable counterplay for 8/10 Stacks) if you stack x amounts of curses you can kill any player with Y health as you just have to bring them down to 20% of their health for mage's wrath to finish the job.

In a 1vX curse works like poisons you can only apply it to one single player at the time reducing it's overall effectiveness drastically with the amount of enemies you face, this is fine however as you can actively choose the target and there is ofc a punishment towards your damage and healing in a 1vX compared to the X
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The skill of the player is relevant because it's so easy to apply. Some proc sets require a certain kind of damage, a specific ability or even a combination of abilities. Some proc sets have a low uptime.

Sload has the most basic requirement possible in addition to being very strong. This must all be considered in the context of the stated goal ZOS has to raise the floor and lower the ceiling -- in the words of Rich Lambert.

It is also very easy to obtain.

Playing solo was already bad enough because of Wizard's Riposte and Durok's Bane which are everywhere. Now added to constant Minor Maim and near constant Major Defile, there is Sload's Semblance countering cloak, block and shields.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The skill of the player is relevant because it's so easy to apply. Some proc sets require a certain kind of damage, a specific ability or even a combination of abilities. Some proc sets have a low uptime.

Sload has the most basic requirement possible in addition to being very strong. This must all be considered in the context of the stated goal ZOS has to raise the floor and lower the ceiling -- in the words of Rich Lambert.

It is also very easy to obtain.

Playing solo was already bad enough because of Wizard's Riposte and Durok's Bane which are everywhere. Now added to constant Minor Maim and near constant Major Defile, there is Sload's Semblance countering cloak, block and shields.

Well I only solo Cyrodiil and PuG BGs. But my personal experience isn't an argument either.

Imo, the reason Why a set makes a "potato" able to kill a "pro" is the actual reason for a change.

Like the potato kill is the symptom not the disease, and a player's skill is Very subjective, especially when coming at it from a third party perspective. - I have no idea if your (not you you, but as in anyone) analysis of another player is accurate, non-biased, and complete. We would have to assume that your description of events is 100% accurate, which I won't do.

I'll also point out, using correct gear is like one of the biggest component of this game.

Like what makes a potato to me? Someone using the wrong gear, wrong weapons etc.

If someone slots durok, sload and skoria, that, to me, kinda automatically disqualifies a potato comment lol
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes because they scale exponentially with the amount of people outnumbering the target.

If you are hit by frags in a 1v1 or 1vX it will deal the same damage, also your own frag will work just as good in the 1v1 as it will perform in the 1vX.

If we use the following 3 things now to show how they work better in a Xv1 than in a 1v1 it may be more clear to you why they are a problem.

PotL: in a 1v1 the caster has to provide 100% of the damage and has a harder time finding an offensive window to maximise the damage output

In a Xv1 every additional enemy reduces the damage one individual has to apply to reach the full burst damage of an unblockable and undodgeable skill, this also works if the caster is a healbot that provides 0 other offensive pressure.

In a 1vX PotL makes a turn for the worst, your offensive window is highly limited and requires focusing one single opponent with all your damage.

Poisons:
    In a 1v1 your poison will be able to proc every 10 seconds on the same enemy and vise versa.

In a Xv1 you can be affected by any single poison effect in this game with absolutely no cooldown

And in a 1vX you can only apply the poison once every 10 seconds to one single enemy reducing it's overall effectiveness massively

Curse: in a 1v1 it works the same for everyone, both players can be affected by one curse at the time reducing their health on every explosion by being undodgeable, unblockable and uncloakable

In a Xv1 the solo player can be oneshotted with the only counterplay being purge (=/= not reliable counterplay for 8/10 Stacks) if you stack x amounts of curses you can kill any player with Y health as you just have to bring them down to 20% of their health for mage's wrath to finish the job.

In a 1vX curse works like poisons you can only apply it to one single player at the time reducing it's overall effectiveness drastically with the amount of enemies you face, this is fine however as you can actively choose the target and there is ofc a punishment towards your damage and healing in a 1vX compared to the X

So what you guys want is that damage produced by grouped X should be no more than damage produced by 1 against a single player.
    See I can't wrap my head around how a game can ever be balanced for small scale and large scale at the same time without getting rid of CP and all status boosters - sets, poisons, potions etc.
    And apparently neither can game developers.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a campaign that didnt alow for taking dmg from equipment aka proccsets. Oldschool stats and your keyboard vs the same.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Poisons:

So what you guys want is that damage produced by grouped X should be no more than damage produced by 1 against a single player.
    See I can't wrap my head around how a game can ever be balanced for small scale and large scale at the same time without getting rid of CP and all status boosters - sets, poisons, potions etc.

No that's not what i said especially my last sentence shows that.

My point is you shouldn't be more punished by a skill being much more effective if you use it in a Xv1 situation rather than a 1v1 situation.
    That is just ridiculous to get further punished for being outnumbered than you already are. There is a disadvantage in being outnumbered and it's not small but increasing it even more with skills that get buffed if you are fighting someone outnumbered meaning, the stronger faction of a fight gets buffed then there is something wrong, very wrong.

Imagine in PvE magnb gets further buffs to now be able to tank and heal while still doing the highest DPS and along with these changes cutting the dps of every other by 50% when there are less than 12 magnbs in the trial.
    Imagine the outrage this is how Xv1 abilities influence solo play that went extinct for many players a long time ago
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Poisons:

No. we want damage that has more counter play and takes skill to use. damage that becomes unavoidable or can't be mitigated will always favor the Zerg or the player that's less skillful. A lot of the skills listed leave very little counterplay for the individual if they are outnumbered making the game not fun or rewarding for the solo player. I been seeing the same bad players for years they haven't gotten any better they are still slow with their animations, they still haven't learned good positioning or when to reset a fight, but they are harder to 1vX because the sheer amount of pressure players can apply from pressing one button is getting ridiculous. They don't even have to use skills anymore to apply de-buffs to players because the sets do it for them. resource poisons proc sets abilities like curse or potl are just rewarding outnumbering your opponent way too much
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is exactly why I can't see it happening without gutting the things I listed and if you do that you still have numbers to deal with which will always be a fact. A 1vX situation will always have to rely on LOS and positioning skill which is really the only true skill in the game as everything else is still just button pushing even if you are solo.
    My position is this is not a solo friendly game in spite of what might have been advertised.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 24, 2018 12:44AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on June 24, 2018 2:02AM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which is exactly why I can't see it happening without gutting the things I listed and if you do that you still have numbers to deal with which will always be a fact. A 1vX situation will always have to rely on LOS and positioning skill which is really the only true skill in the game as everything else is still just button pushing even if you are solo.
    My position is this is not a solo friendly game in spite of what might have been advertised.

No there are many ways to change these abilities without ruining them but making them more balanced in every situation.

PotL: only uses the damage of the caster but the percentage of the damage stored gets increased so it's easier to reach a full PotL proc for offensive players while removing the issue that healbots with no damage can deal massive amounts of damage

Put the poison cooldown on the target rather than the caster meaning you can only affected by one poison at the same time but you can apply it to more players if they aren't immune

Shieldbreaker is in need for a massive nerf, sloads is seen a totally op with the pressure it provides at 853 dps, while shieldbreaker deals 3.5k dps to players who are actively defending themselves

Siphoner and Befoul CP need to have higher opportunity cost, putting them into the red/ blue cp tree makes it harder for people to stack points into them without losing damage and survivability
    Edited by BohnT on June 24, 2018 11:47AM
  • olesmo
    olesmo
    ✭✭✭

Poisons:

No. we want damage that has more counter play and takes skill to use. damage that becomes unavoidable or can't be mitigated will always favor the Zerg or the player that's less skillful. A lot of the skills listed leave very little counterplay for the individual if they are outnumbered making the game not fun or rewarding for the solo player. I been seeing the same bad players for years they haven't gotten any better they are still slow with their animations, they still haven't learned good positioning or when to reset a fight, but they are harder to 1vX because the sheer amount of pressure players can apply from pressing one button is getting ridiculous. They don't even have to use skills anymore to apply de-buffs to players because the sets do it for them. resource poisons proc sets abilities like curse or potl are just rewarding outnumbering your opponent way too much

If a skilled player creates a setup to work with and benefit sloads, he/she can cause some serious hurt for the scrublings :D
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recall any actual advertising for solo play.

I know a developer (Brian?) Talked about it, but that's hardly advertising a game as a solo friendly experience.

Every single advertisement I've ever seen (from the producers) show every player accompanied by a minimum of 2 other players.

I'd say the actual advertising for the game is multiplayer encouraging.

Plus, what's solo without a challenge?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any how exactly does Sload's accomplish your vision of encouraging multiplayer gameplay? By getting people to spam light attacks in a zerg instead of individually? That's some complicated teamwork right there.

Multiplayer dynamics emerge when players understand the strengths and limitations of their class and build, and group with other specs that synergise and fill in the gaps.

Teaching new players that they can win fights by spamming light attacks with the occasional snipe/poison inject results in them never learning the intricacies of their class and build. It leads to mindless zerging, and that is not genuine "multiplayer".
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Any how exactly does Sload's accomplish your vision of encouraging multiplayer gameplay? By getting people to spam light attacks in a zerg instead of individually? That's some complicated teamwork right there.

Multiplayer dynamics emerge when players understand the strengths and limitations of their class and build, and group with other specs that synergise and fill in the gaps.

Teaching new players that they can win fights by spamming light attacks with the occasional snipe/poison inject results in them never learning the intricacies of their class and build. It leads to mindless zerging, and that is not genuine "multiplayer".

Solo BGs and come back to me on wanting specifically teched builds to be competitive....

Wait, everyone freaking hates premades, no one wants that
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleed builds with especially Masters weapons as well as Sorc Rune Cage burst are both more OP than Sloads. Sloads is only overly strong in comparison when u have a group of people proc'ing it and a lot of the people complaining would probably die when outnumbered no matter what that group is using, your just fixating on the new Sloads damage on kill recap.
    Edited by Twohothardware on June 25, 2018 1:42AM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best off ignoring tequila. Anti 1vX nub who wants easy kills with their friends.

Solo was catered to through dynamic ultimate and lack of sets like sloads that gave an insane amount of strength to those who could stack more of it, whilst being too sacrificial for solo.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
This discussion has been closed.