Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The beginning of roleplaying in ESO

• Adhamh
    Adhamh
    ✭✭
    Very interesting. I've never played a game completely in-character, but for this game I may be willing to do so. I'd love to role-play with others on hereMy only issue is building a lore-friendly back-story for my character. Would anyone possibly be able to assist?
    IGN: Adhamh
    Race: Nord
    Class: Dragonknight
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
  • J0nac
    J0nac
    I've started a guild that is a role playing guild, if anyone is interested in joining! Just let me know! :D
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adhamh wrote: »
    Very interesting. I've never played a game completely in-character, but for this game I may be willing to do so. I'd love to role-play with others on hereMy only issue is building a lore-friendly back-story for my character. Would anyone possibly be able to assist?

I'd be happy to offer my input to help you along. Wont build it for you, but I'll help you get started on something to work with.
  • CrimsonThomas
    CrimsonThomas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm up for it. I'm an Imperial of the Ebonheart Pact with a nice, long and tragic background. Should be fun!
  • Solinar
    Solinar
    ✭✭
    I am hoping to find some RP after reaching level 20. I play an Altmer in the Daggerfall Covenant, though the character is neutral due to his Mages Guild affiliation. I will probably be around the Daggerfall Mages Guild if anyone is interested in roleplaying!
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking for an RP guild in Daggerfall Covenant should check out the Dragon Tears guild or send a tell/message to @Rastafariel‌ . Our Charter can be viewed under the RP Guild section of this website.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    We at the Morag Tong will never be OOC in /say or /yell - here's hoping they soon add optional chat bubbles so that these become viable communication options.
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am usually IC while playing ESO. Though i have gone OOC for basic helping otherp layers.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stormcrow wrote: »
    Will Many People Be Committing To Roleplaying Their Characters?
    I will be yes. I love RP. Love the challenge of trying to stay IC when it would be so easy to fall into OOC.

There are many differing styles of RP. I'm a unique and endangered breed, seemingly, of RPer that role-plays whilst playing the actual game. It can be very challenging (e.g. you need to be able to type well for one, as it's often RP on-the-move!). I've found it by far the most rewarding RP for me. Environmental, free-form, immersive, some call it.

I just call it fun, and my character is always on the lookout for the like minded.

Edited by Rev Rielle on April 2, 2014 11:29AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will be yes. I love RP. Love the challenge of trying to stay IC when it would be so easy to fall into OOC.

There are many differing styles of RP. I'm a unique and endangered breed, seemingly, of RPer that role-plays whilst playing the actual game. It can be very challenging (e.g. you need to be able to type well for one, as it's often RP on-the-move!). I've found it by far the most rewarding RP for me. Environmental, free-form, immersive, some call it.

I just call it fun, and my character is always on the lookout for the like minded.

This is me. Please add me. Alot of roleplayers I've come to encounter seem to just tavern Rp. And I cant sit there and do that all day or for very long. I would much rather naturally roleplay while playing the game. In any game I Rp in, I do this.

@reagenlionel
    Edited by reagen_lionel on April 2, 2014 12:03PM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is me. Please add me. Alot of roleplayers I've come to encounter seem to just tavern Rp. And I cant sit there and do that all day or for very long. I would much rather naturally roleplay while playing the game. In any game I Rp in, I do this.

@reagenlionel

:smile: Yes, we are still out there, amongst the shifting sands of Stros M'kai perhaps.

Here's hoping our characters' paths cross.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Ishira
    Ishira
    This one does not enjoy speaking out to faction, The Ebonheart Pact. When Ishira speaks in the voice-stream that spans Stonefalls, this one gets yelled at harshly, even by the tree-scales though they are looked down on. The Pact makes Khajiit feel like scum-beast... Those of us who speak outside of Imperial tongue. Those they can.. identify. They try to destroy. This one is saddened and discomforted, as Ishira joined the Pact for own reasons, none bad. Ishira is not bad.
  • Harva
    Harva
    ✭✭✭
    I will be roleplaying as well but I think it is important that us, the RP community now as mad as it sounds but it seems to be the only way to reach the developers of MMOs.

what we should do is to nag about things that could be better for roleplayers. I am quite sure the chat bubbles will be forced into the game, there was two other major mmos that also did not have it during launch but people whined so much so they had to push it into the game.

With the megaserver technology they should have the technology to allow us to get a privacy button, what I mean with that is that we should be able to zone into a private stage of the zone you currently are in and then perhaps only friends and guildies could be allowed inside.

That is initially something they actually can do with the technology they are using now. Also would solve the problem with trolls and non-roleplayers ruining.

You have it right on the money. Guild wars 2 is widely known for this occurring in its youth. Apparently they didn't have any chat bubbles at all when they released the game but after enough players raised a ton of awareness about it and going to extremes to get their points across they finally, and quickly added it in a patch.

It annoys me to hear one or two players come onto a thread for role players trying to organize to get chat bubbles and talk them down. We really don't care if other players don't like chat bubbles, that's totally fine since all you have to do is just turn them off when they are implemented and go on your merry way.

Not all of us that role play care about PVP or level grinding or building the perfect powerhouse of a character, we adore the lore and being able to add to it and immerse ourselves in that part of the game. But we don't go around telling those players that PVP should be taken away and that level grinding should be reduced. Everyone has their cliches they fit into within MMO's and ousting one group completely will ultimately hurt the games chances at thriving after the first free month and maybe even longer than that.

In my opinion, the role players are what give any MMO life. We will always be around after others have had their fill of PVP, created all the perfect builds they can and completed the game to its fullest and either end up leaving or only coming on every once and a while to pummel the crap out of an npc or pc and log out once they have their fill. Who's going to pay a subscription fee just to do the boring parts that really are not Elder Scrollish and loose their luster after a while?

It also really hurts me personally how the DEV's says they are all about immersion into the world of ESO, when role playing IS immersion. It IS adding to the lore and creating a living character within the Elder Scrolls universe which gives you far more immersion than anything else the game currently offers. To take that away from us is just unbelievable.

I think we need to get loud and we need to get active about this.

Me personally, I refuse to pay a subscription fee if chat bubbles are not added or any sort of role play friendly communication other than they current chat "box". I may pay down the road when there is stuff added that interests me, but from month to month while I'm waiting for add ons I don't see that happening. Heck maybe even once a year since you could pay for one month and essentially use that whole month to catch up on anything new. Who's to say, all I know is I'm deeply disturbed that Bethesda and zenimax would completely disregard role players by telling us they have no plans for chat features.

Then we need to make them have those plans.
  • Solinar
    Solinar
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we can try to get Zenimax to give us a roleplaying channel. That would make communicating with RPers a lot easier, at least until they implement the phasing options, if they are still doing that. Since this game is an RPG - a roleplaying game - they really should be trying to accommodate RPers.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭

I'm the same type of RPer. I RP at level 1, I RP standing around and on the move. The most fun I have had is RPing in small groups while participating in questing activities. Then we react together to the world and our stories grow together as we adventure.

Some people can do it, others just want to RP in town. I'll take either as I can get it, but RPing on adventure from day one is the way I like to roll.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harva wrote: »
    You have it right on the money. Guild wars 2 is widely known for this occurring in its youth. Apparently they didn't have any chat bubbles at all when they released the game but after enough players raised a ton of awareness about it and going to extremes to get their points across they finally, and quickly added it in a patch.

It annoys me to hear one or two players come onto a thread for role players trying to organize to get chat bubbles and talk them down. We really don't care if other players don't like chat bubbles, that's totally fine since all you have to do is just turn them off when they are implemented and go on your merry way.

Well, in the past, it's been an "all or nothing" kind of thing for Zenimax. It may very well be there could be no options to turn them off. I point at the current UI as an example.
    Not all of us that role play care about PVP or level grinding or building the perfect powerhouse of a character, we adore the lore and being able to add to it and immerse ourselves in that part of the game. But we don't go around telling those players that PVP should be taken away and that level grinding should be reduced. Everyone has their cliches they fit into within MMO's and ousting one group completely will ultimately hurt the games chances at thriving after the first free month and maybe even longer than that.

Actually, I do. I've always said that PvP has no place in an MMO and have stated various and sundry reasons for my beliefs.
    In my opinion, the role players are what give any MMO life. We will always be around after others have had their fill of PVP, created all the perfect builds they can and completed the game to its fullest and either end up leaving or only coming on every once and a while to pummel the crap out of an npc or pc and log out once they have their fill. Who's going to pay a subscription fee just to do the boring parts that really are not Elder Scrollish and loose their luster after a while?

Exactly. We are the long term players. Most times, we'll play a game until the servers shut down if we truly enjoy it.
    It also really hurts me personally how the DEV's says they are all about immersion into the world of ESO, when role playing IS immersion. It IS adding to the lore and creating a living character within the Elder Scrolls universe which gives you far more immersion than anything else the game currently offers. To take that away from us is just unbelievable.

I think we need to get loud and we need to get active about this.

I can't understand how you think you can pull the immersion ticket here when in no way, shape or form are chat bubbles and name plates helping immersion. If anything, they break immersion. Do you see people talking with chat bubbles above their heads at work? At school? At home? No. Do any of your friends have nameplates hanging above their heads everywhere you go? I don't think so. When you're in a crowded area and someone calls your name...what are you doing? Are you looking around for the chat bubbles and name plates? No. There literally is no difference having to check a chat box for text and having to check a chat bubble for text, imnsho.
    Me personally, I refuse to pay a subscription fee if chat bubbles

I hate to be THAT PERSON.....but if chat bubbles( a very minor issue at best) is what's going to keep you from being a paying subscriber....then fine. You're not really needed. Please, go play Wildstar or EQNext. I'd much rather the devs fix issues like oh.....I don't know.....GAME PROGRESSION HALTING BUGS??
    Balance issues? Gold spammers? Exploits? Oh, let's not forget about pumping out content, too. Matt Firor said they'd be sticking to a schedule of content updates, right? Chat bubbles are way down the list, and if they do come at all, it'll be an add-on or a mod that will do it.
    I politely suggest getting over the entitlement issue and sticking with a great game, but if measly little chat bubbles are going to keep you from backing something with true potential.....you're not the kind of person this game and it's developers need.
    Again, this is merely my not-so-humble opinion. Nothing antagonistic in my posting it at all, just pointing out what I perceive to be the facts.

I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Solinar
    Solinar
    ✭✭
    I'm actually fine with not having chat bubbles. I prefer using emotes more anyway. If they can just give us the option to phase out non-RPers, I'd be perfectly happy.
  • Auldern21
    Auldern21
    I am excited to RP, but I am going to wait until I am higher level with good gear.
    Anyone want to add me, @Auldern21, Just let me know why and I will accept. Once I am stronger, Quintus Dias will be played like a true Imperial Mercenary that sold his sword to the Pact.
  • Mishku
    Mishku
    It seems to be that as of now our only option is to find a guild. Myself being very picky with roleplay (I tend not to stray from villain roles) I'll likely end up starting my own if this becomes the case, as the characters I've created (and used in every TES game despite the time frames) don't belong among the "heroes of legend", or doing any of the quests the game gives us.

In any case Elder Scrolls has always been my favorite fantasy universe and it'll be a delightful change of pace from WoW. I'm determined to see it happen at one point or another.
    Edited by Mishku on April 2, 2014 6:55PM
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @weibsterb 14_ESO, I respectfully disagree. You(or anyone, for that matter) do not -have- to join a guild to RP. At all. Ever. Honest Injun.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Mishku
    Mishku
    Of course, I don't have to, but I expect a guild will, for now, be the difference between good RP and "HAIL YOUNG RP-F**" or anything equally undesirable.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be roleplaying, but that being said - in most MMOs, the open world RP phase doesn't last very long. It doesn't take long for all roleplaying to become purely with guild members or friends you have met - which is still fun, don't get me wrong. But it takes an unbelievably awesome community to make fully public RP a longterm thing. Hopefully it can happen this time. Though in this case, there will be the usual impasses to cross-factional RP which is unfortunate.

Even if world roleplaying doesn't remain consistent, hopefully at least some sizable and active guilds can be made.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    I'll be roleplaying, but that being said - in most MMOs, the open world RP phase doesn't last very long. It doesn't take long for all roleplaying to become purely with guild members or friends you have met - which is still fun, don't get me wrong. But it takes an unbelievably awesome community to make fully public RP a longterm thing. Hopefully it can happen this time. Though in this case, there will be the usual impasses to cross-factional RP which is unfortunate.

Even if world roleplaying doesn't remain consistent, hopefully at least some sizable and active guilds can be made.

I think that restricting RP to just guild members and friends lists is what kills genuine drama free fun RP in the first place.
    In order for an "unbelievably awesome community" to form...people have to step up and start it. I'm stating that I, for one....will never join a guild, nor restrict my RP to just people on my friends list. I will take every opportunity to open world RP that I can, and I will never even acknowledge that an RP troll(or a troll in general) exists, for to even reply/comment about their behavior is feeding them....and we all know what that results in.
    3) Difficulty slider.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that restricting RP to just guild members and friends lists is what kills genuine drama free fun RP in the first place.
    In order for an "unbelievably awesome community" to form...people have to step up and start it. I'm stating that I, for one....will never join a guild, nor restrict my RP to just people on my friends list. I will take every opportunity to open world RP that I can, and I will never even acknowledge that an RP troll(or a troll in general) exists, for to even reply/comment about their behavior is feeding them....and we all know what that results in.

The restriction is usually the result of open roleplaying failing. Yes, it does help keep it from being restarted - but people find their social circles because open world never works in the long run in any consistent basis.

That, and guilds allow for some pretty great story arcs - either within one's guild, or between different guilds. There's nothing wrong with guilds and friends. And since open world usually turns into tavern flirting and ranting, people tend to withdraw into the more orchestrated forms of roleplaying.

In addition, open world can create a lot of continuity issues. If two people roleplay while doing a quest, they can't claim they were the ones that really developed that storyline - because everyone else has also done that quest. So in many cases, open world doesn't allow for any kind of coherent storyline when you involved quests and dungeons. You can't claim to be the great hero that felled a named boss because everyone else also did the same thing.

Because of that, most people have interpersonal storylines and guild storylines they rely on to create in-game backstory. It is the only way to have a consistent storyline with other characters.
  • Mishku
    Mishku
    Right. Nothing really meaningful happens in open-world RP. Plus it's quite difficult when your character has absolutely no business being where he is, doing whatever the current quest entails, and when you're supposed to be the only one doing it.

While guild RP might seem closed-off and uninteresting it really breeds something better than chatting in a tavern or while doing quests. Those are good, from time to time, but almost never add up to anything. In my factual opinion.
  • ReaperValkyrie
    I will certainly be RPing. Myself and two of my friends came over from World of Warcraft (which admittedly was not that great a setting for RP.) I have four characters and their personalities/histories all already planned out.
    I'd imagine that this game will shape up to be pretty RPer friendly, I mean they gave us such an expansive list of animated /emotes, which is certainly a good start. I do wish they'd give us our own server, or something, similar to the WoW server system, but I know that's pretty unlikely.
    I do think open world RP will be possible, after all, that's often one of the best ways to meet people outside of a guild.
    Having said that, I'm really looking forward to seeing what sort of guilds emerge. The Elder Scrolls universe lore is just so rich and detailed that it allows for so much scope of potential backstories for characters. I can only hope that things don't start to get ridiculously elitist as they did on WoW.
  • VanillaSoap
    I completely agree with all your points Harva. It is outrageous that our community which is probably the most loyal out of the three communities (pvp, rp and pve) always get ignored.

I sadly think it will happen here too, I doubt the ESO community managers are even reading this thread. And even if they did, I bet the only thing they would do is to say that they agree blablabla and that they will fix things. Then a year down the line, nothing really would've been fixed.

Though if they did listen to us, then I'd be surprised but happy as hell.
  • Skookum
    Skookum
    ✭✭
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised by how many people are looking forward to RP in the TES community. In WoW once when I joined a guild and asked if they RP they were all like "If that's what your into baby ;)"

Needless to say I have never had much luck with trying to start an RP guild in WoW
    * [ The Obsidian Shield ] *

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The setting in ESO is certainly more conducive. The sheer amount of lore and variation is good. WoW had very predictable lore without much depth.

And while it would be nice for roleplayers to be more heavily considered, I understand why they aren't - in every MMO RPers are by far the smallest community. It just simply doesn't make sense from a cost-effect standpoint to give them as much attention as the rest.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    The setting in ESO is certainly more conducive. The sheer amount of lore and variation is good. WoW had very predictable lore without much depth.

And while it would be nice for roleplayers to be more heavily considered, I understand why they aren't - in every MMO RPers are by far the smallest community. It just simply doesn't make sense from a cost-effect standpoint to give them as much attention as the rest.

I disagree, though we are smaller than the casual crowd, the Rpers are the more likely to stick to a game in the longer term, which has been proven through multiple MMO games for these vary reasons.