The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Can't launch my game after patch. Instant crash.

Meld777
Meld777
✭✭✭✭✭
Mmf1IyO.png

Can't launch the game anymore. Repairing didn't help.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
Maelstrom Arena Champion | Undaunted | Fighters Guild Victor

Level 50 Magicka NB | CP160+

nAA | vCoH1 HM | nSO | nCoA2 | nDSA | nMA | vVoM

PC EU
  • Baz
    Baz
    ✭✭✭
    At least you achieve to patch :smiley:
    vAA : 150.350 WS StamBlade
    vSO : 171.041 CwC StamSorc
    vHRC : 155.895 DB Tank
    vMoL : 159.672 CwC Stamplar
    vHoF : 206.667 MkM StamNB
    vAS : 111.272 MkM Magplar
    vCR : 128.397 WS MagSorc
    Mostly retired from PvE ESO
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Repairing + reinstalling the launcher didn't help. Reinstalling my game completely now. Let's hope it works :|

PC EU
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same problem ...

Repair ... Restart the PC ... redownload the launcher ... Launch the game via eso.exe ... NOTHING work.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    same problem
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    With the new Summerset update, you may need to check your anti-virus settings and make sure your exceptions are up to date.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    With the new Summerset update, you may need to check your anti-virus settings and make sure your exceptions are up to date.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Too late :D but I'll do that, should the clean installation not help.

PC EU
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Meld777

Try going into your key file ( mine was under: program files/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client/ ) and running the eso64.exe file as an administrator.

I found this completely circumvented the launcher and allowed me straight into the game from which I quickly teleported into summerset to ensure I could reach it.

After which I logged out and relaunched the launcher and it came up with a secure "play" button and took me straight back in.

Beware I probably still have files to repair or a new launcher to download to ensure the stability of my game... however it did fix the endless loop the launcher was taking me on as it had already downloaded the entire patch multiple times.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    None of these recommendations solve the problem. Some of us are still having a problem where the launcher crashes immediately after hitting "Play", although I get a slightly different error box than the screenshot from the OP. I have opened a ticket with support, but after almost 24 hours, no response. Am I going to get a prorated refund of subscription fees? Are we all just expected to "reload the game from scratch" like in the old days tech support would tell you "just re-install Windows" when they couldn't figure out what was going on? SMH
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trem3c wrote: »
    None of these recommendations solve the problem. Some of us are still having a problem where the launcher crashes immediately after hitting "Play", although I get a slightly different error box than the screenshot from the OP. I have opened a ticket with support, but after almost 24 hours, no response. Am I going to get a prorated refund of subscription fees? Are we all just expected to "reload the game from scratch" like in the old days tech support would tell you "just re-install Windows" when they couldn't figure out what was going on? SMH

@trem3c I tried absolutely everything and beyond. Nothing helped. Messing with launch settings, admin rights, reinstalling launcher, repairing...

I uninstalled the game, deleted everything that was left, incl. user files, then reinstalled the game completely. Now everything works fine. Though, performance is worse than it was before. But I'm not the only one noticing that. My friends have that as well.

PC EU
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    @Meld777 Re-installing from scratch now. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • bitranch
    bitranch
    Soul Shriven
    Some of us over on the Mac side running iMac Pros have the same immediate crash issue. We're getting the same error code shown in the OP.

We've discovered that reducing the number of cores to <= 8 using a testing tool for programmers allows the game to run. (Don't know if there's any equivalent tool for the PC.)

If your PC has > 8 cores, this may well be a related problem.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    Fresh installation did not solve the problem. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE Please help! Ticket number already submitted is 180521-003185. Cannot play game at all!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If anyone is still getting a fatal error in the launcher and the troubleshooting here has not helped, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

@trem3c

We've sent you a message with an update on your ticket status.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • BrandonReinhart
    BrandonReinhart
    Soul Shriven
    Try this.

In UserSettings.txt set:

SET MaxCoresToUse "-1"
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "1"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1"

If this works, then you might bump up job threads (I have it set to 8).

This crash was, for me, due to their new multicore code which has received insufficient platform testing. I'm on an i9 7980xe and they apparently didn't test the current defaults against that platform.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    @BrandonReinhart I believe you are on to something here, however, when I try this, Steam stops launching the Launcher at all. I do believe it's something to do with these i9 CPUs however. I have an Alienware Area 51 R4 machine. Using the Game Consultant, it shows this:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7980XE CPU @ 2.60GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
  • BrandonReinhart
    BrandonReinhart
    Soul Shriven
    @BrandonReinhart I believe you are on to something here, however, when I try this, Steam stops launching the Launcher at all. I do believe it's something to do with these i9 CPUs however. I have an Alienware Area 51 R4 machine. Using the Game Consultant, it shows this:

You might try limiting the other values like

SET MaxCoresToUse "1"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "1"

I don't think these settings are used by the launcher, only the eso64.exe itself. You can launch it directly from the game's directory if you want...
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I tried running the Bethesda launcher directly with your recommended changes, and the Select Character screen loaded. But because I'm Steam, I can't login to the game that way. What a rip-off.
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    If anyone is still getting a fatal error in the launcher and the troubleshooting here has not helped, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

@trem3c

We've sent you a message with an update on your ticket status.

@trem3c wait what? ZOS still hasn't helped you? :|

PC EU
  • Zurme
    Zurme
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same problem after the update, but I noticed that the game was working when I desactivated one of my GPU (it was extremely slow tho) and simply updating my second gpu solved the problem. So I don't know, maybe you can try this.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    @Meld777 I have a ticket with ZOS that's being worked, going into its third day of back and forth at this point. Nothing they've recommended so far as solved my problem. Last night they replied that they would escalate the ticket to another group within support.

@Zurme I have only one GPU in my system a GTX1080Ti.
  • Radox0
    Radox0
    ✭✭

You might try limiting the other values like

SET MaxCoresToUse "1"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "1"

I don't think these settings are used by the launcher, only the eso64.exe itself. You can launch it directly from the game's directory if you want...

Thank you very much for posting this! Been pulling my hair last few days trying to get it work and had a ticket open. Likewise my main system use's a 7980XE and issue seems pretty much specific to high core count CPU's as my 8700k PC ran fine with summerset patch.

Submitted this as part of my ticket so hopefully they pick up on the issue with higher core count CPUs.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    @Radox0 Pretty sure it's all about the f'ing Steam launcher too, not the actual game itself.
  • Radox0
    Radox0
    ✭✭
    @Radox0 Pretty sure it's all about the f'ing Steam launcher too, not the actual game itself.

I would have thought though if it was the Steam Launcher, I would have had issues prior to Summerset? The game / ESO launcher worked flawlessly until the most recent update on my main PC.

Either way, am happy to be back in the game :)
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    So, @Radox0 you are up and running? Do you launch the game from the Steam client, or by running eso64.exe directly or some other means? I have been unable to get the Steam Client to fire up the launcher at all, with or without the above changes to UserSettings.txt. Formerly, I was able to at least get the launcher to open, but then it would error immediately after hitting "Play".
  • Radox0
    Radox0
    ✭✭
    So, @Radox0 you are up and running? Do you launch the game from the Steam client, or by running eso64.exe directly or some other means? I have been unable to get the Steam Client to fire up the launcher at all, with or without the above changes to UserSettings.txt. Formerly, I was able to at least get the launcher to open, but then it would error immediately after hitting "Play".

Yup up and running now after tweaking the UserSetting.txt file. I Launch Steam (well its always running in background) then just hit play from there (or desktop shortcut which does the same thing) and in turn that launch's the ESO client. Hit Play from there and works fine now. Prior to amending the file would crash every time I hit play also.
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    So, last update, was finally able to make the UserSettings.txt changes that were recommended after a complete, fresh install of both ESO and Steam itself. Now back in the game with all three settings set to "1". Once in the game, ESO changed this one:

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1"

But other than that, things seem to at least be working. Thanks for the technical assist and moral support guys.
  • Core
    Core
    @Meld777 & @trem3c, i was just checking what you guys found to work, this is what worked for me:

1) Uninstall nVidia experience, just use drivers, phys, etc.
    2) Rename or Delete ZoCrashReporter.exe, and try to run game again...
    3) If it crashes examine MS app crash pop-up...
    4) If it mentions C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvd3d9wrapx.dll then Rename it to something like nvd3d9wrapx.dll.bak and try to run game again.

Cheers!
    Why, oh why, do i often see a "then" when i should be reading a "than", but then again what's better or worse than being grammatically correct?
  • garyjohnwilliamsonb16_ESO
    No problem yesterday
    Just tried to log in from the launcher and get the Error 6 same as OPs picture ????

====================================================================
    eso encountered a fatal error. (Error 6)
    Description: Client Fatal Error
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.4.0.7.1608420
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 64
    client.mode = startup
    client.renderertype = D3D11
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2018-05-30T11:53:13.172Z
    client.timestamp = 2018-05-30T11:53:13.611Z -frme 0-
    computer.name = DESKTOP-HAHDE8D
    computer.user = McFred
    cpu.arch = 9
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 6
    cpu.type = 8664
    data.dir = C:/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/
    exe.buildnum = 1608420
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    fe.code = 6
    fe.descrip = Client Fatal Error
    gfx.description = 24.21.13.9793
    gfx.deviceid = 5121.326441434.161
    gfx.driver = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    gfx.vendorid = 4318
    mem.system_physical = 8119
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 10.0.17134.
    ptime = 501
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 4
    version.patch = 0
    version.subpatch = 7
    Edited by garyjohnwilliamsonb16_ESO on May 30, 2018 11:55AM
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still having this issue. did anyone find any fixes not mentioned above?

I have submitted a ticket.