Does Valenwood Need More Trees?

Vanthras79
Vanthras79
✭✭✭✭✭
I noticed some areas of Ghratwood and Greenshade are rather sparse when it comes to dense vegetation. I was wondering if "you guys" felt the same way. Does Valeenwood as a whole need more trees to feel like a proper forest?
Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

Does Valenwood Need More Trees? 129 votes

Yes
86% 112 votes
No
13% 17 votes
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    I suppose that the Valenwood zones would feel more immersive with denser vegetation; but it is quite obvious that the reason there isn’t is because it would case serious performance issues for some. Lore-wise there are definitely more trees; but I don’t think that more should be added to the game.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahtwood is an Old Growth Forest. Those are characterized by very tall trees forming a canopy and very few trees lower to the ground because very little sunlight gets past the canopy. Grahtwood's old trees are huge.

Malabal Tor, on the other hand, has more of the layers we'd expect to see from a rainforest. Lots of tall trees, but also lots of ground cover plants anywhere there's sunlight,breaking through the canopy.

Greenshade has a lot more plains, mountainous regions, and swamps, so its the oddest of the regions. Perhaps we can just chalk that up to the Wilderking/queen having a direct influence on the terrain?
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has very nice zones, but it’s no secret that all of the DLC zones are much more detailed than the base game zones. For example, compare a zone like Wrothgar to Glenumbra lol. The design and verticality of newer zones are significantly better.

The Devs have undoubtedly (and naturally) become far better at creating things over the long history of the game since launch.

I’d actually love for one chapter to feature a redesign/improvement upon all base-game zones, instead of giving us a big new zone (maybe a smal zone would suffice assuming the redesign happened). That’s just me though :)
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVERYWHERE needs more trees. Every time I start up ES:Skyrim I'm shocked at just how dense the woods can be.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    ESO has very nice zones, but it’s no secret that all of the DLC zones are much more detailed than the base game zones. For example, compare a zone like Wrothgar to Glenumbra lol. The design and verticality of newer zones are significantly better.

The Devs have undoubtedly (and naturally) become far better at creating things over the long history of the game since launch.

I’d actually love for one chapter to feature a redesign/improvement upon all base-game zones, instead of giving us a big new zone (maybe a smal zone would suffice assuming the redesign happened). That’s just me though :)

Like another base-game patch like One Tamriel. To jazz up the existing zones, and add some flavor.
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »
    Vaoh wrote: »

Like another base-game patch like One Tamriel. To jazz up the existing zones, and add some flavor.

Yup. Either that or even as a replacement for the usual full-fledged 2nd quarter chapter zone, though ofc this couldn't have a price tag on it.

If the job is too large, they could maybe redo three zones (one per alliance) every quarter in stead of all at once. The content is already there - they'd just need to improve the zones themselves.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    MO TREES!
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently filled my Covens Cottage with weeping willows, underbrush and bushes and it honestly feels more like a real forest than anywhere else in the game. I get that they were probably worried about camera angles and rendering when they build these zones. But I do wish they had done a better job of making places like Ghratwood and Malabal Tor overgrown and untouched. Its odd how the Bosmer are not supposed to harm plantlife but the place looks like someones been cutting down all the overgrowth that would occur in these places.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valenwood needs more trees, and brighter greens. Why are the colors of the grass and trees so dull? When I imagine Valenwood, I see bright green grass, moss, and lush forests. Not whatever this dull gray-green they have going on..

I'd really like them to re-visit the zones of the base game...
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just going to tag some people here. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom :smiley:

• GabiAlex
    GabiAlex
    ✭✭✭✭
    More trees and moving trees.
    @GabiAlex - PC EU Megaserver
    Delora Xiaphia - Aldmeri Dominion - Nightblade Bosmer
    Ugrim gro-Khar - Daggerfall Covenant - Dragonknight Orsimer
    Sena R'en - Ebonheart Pact - Sorcerer Dunmer
    Fjorik Firebeard - Ebonheart Pact - Templar Nord
    Ophelia Adel Maris - Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer Breton
    Drinks-In-Silence - Ebonheart Pact - Dragonknight Argonian
    Floriancen Larethian - Aldmeri Dominion - Warden Altmer
    Zahir at Unar - Daggerfall Covenant - Nightblade Redguard

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The place that felt the most like Valenwood in the lore was the Selene's Web Dungeon.
    That place actually felt like I was deep in the forest.
    Dungeons are some of the best content in the game
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im having a hard time trying to understand how people can be bothered by such trivial things while the games most basic functions are that broken.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    Im having a hard time trying to understand how people can be bothered by such trivial things while the games most basic functions are that broken.

Probably because you're in a sub-forum for lore discussion where these trivial matters are typically at the core of discussions and because you are commenting on a topic that is almost 2 years old.

Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only real forest in Eso is Selene's web, and that other "something-mont" place in Summerset. The rest is just sparse grooves.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, i would rather them put time into new zones or revamp all old zones and not just the valenwood ones.
    Add Veyas hair for us players to use!
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More trees!
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a whole section in a forum post specifically about Valenwood

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/509011/eventual-update-of-vanilla-content
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valenwood
    In my opinion Valenwood is one of the regions with the most need of a review. (EDIT: Along with other places such as most DC zones) The overall problem with the Valenwood zones is that none of them are particularly distinct from one another (save for maybe Reaper's March) and can feel generic. Most of Valenwood feels like a large open space with trees & flora that are few and far between. Which doesn't feel right for a place like Greenshade which is supposed to be "A Jungle at it's most Primeval". The simple thing to do would be to edit the vegetation and make the zones feel more alive.

Shots of Valenwood zones
    latest?cb=20150923101827
    latest?cb=20150614231352
    ON-place-Greenshade.jpg
    ON-place-Grahtwood.jpg
    _skyshard_Flee_the_labyrinth_of_words_and_stone._image_eso_2014_03_08_11_20_48_453.jpg

However if ZOS wanted to completely re-design the zone...
    Do you want to know why Selene's Web is one of my favorite dungeons? It is one of my favorites because it actually feels like I am in Valenwood - sure it has an atmosphere of Selene's influence but it still feels like I am in an actual Valenwood forest.
    Imagine if Grahtwood or Greenshade took after its design as a multi layered zone - with an atmosphere of a Forest that is Vast & Ancient.
    At first the forest maybe doesn't seem large but as you venture you find that you can literally drop down to the very bottom roots of the forest as well as spiraling branches that takes players to the upper regions of the trees
    With Networks of tunnels in the open world, vertical landscape exploration design where players could go literally deeper into the forest - all with no loading screens - that could make the zone a fun place to explore with the new "Antiquities" system of Greymoor
    If ZOS wanted to they could redesign the the surface of the Valenwood zones and make the levels below as DLC zones that players can travel deeper into. Providing depth to an already existing place as well as giving more attention to the Wood Elves

Shots of Selene's Web
    6aNhr6f.png
    0EaIcqm.png
    FP0MbqB.png
    ON-place-Selene%27s_Web.jpg
    DUe-D47W4AI7I7s.jpg
    eso-2014-05-02-14-02-55-943.jpg

The Concept art for Valenwood was the most ambitious and the least utilized. Imagine these pictures as the levels that players descend in the forest. From the bright leaves and blooming flowers to the dark gnarled roots covered in muck with all manner of creature hiding down there.
    latest?cb=20121201103903
    latest?cb=20121201104123
    latest?cb=20130925172105latest?cb=20171013133859

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGC7RRt_OIE
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with you @Iccotak
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also needs Imga and Centaurs! :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO Valenwood should look more like the jungle in GW2. I know those maps were unpopular with some people because it's not easy to run straight to your destination, but I think ZOS could create a similar feel of a dense jungle without making it an actual maze (especially since we don't have the same movement options and ZOS don't seem to consider running to your destination part of the fun, except in Cyrodiil, so there's no incentive to do that).

lV6I1HRh.jpg

Valenwood is always described in lore as this deep, tangled, think jungle where the ground is in perpetual twilight with rare glimpses of the sky, with trees so close together you can walk or climb across from one to the other without ever touching the ground (and that's often an easier way to travel) and from the canopy you can't even see the floor.

Instead we've got what to me looks like beech woodland, lots of tall trees but lots of wide open space underneath with very little understory and often large gaps between the trees too.

(And yes I'd really like to see the Imga as well, I was disappointed that they're all missing in ESO.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Danikat
    Exactly!

Valenwood feels like a forest that is light on vegetation when it should almost like a Jungle maze with vertical design.
    With no sign fo the ground and the sun becoming increasingly less visible.

Then there's the textures - oof. There's just so much work that ZOS needs to do for that zone.
    Sure Breton zone is vanilla but they kind of are and although it could use touch up their zone fits them.

Valenwood might not ever get a focused DLC and we are stuck with wasted potential.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that it's a question of "more tree" rather than "more trees". The most successful trees are those that clear their vicinity of competition - i.e. other trees. So a "thriving" forest is really just one that hasn't yet determined a winner.

Rain forest is often almost bare at ground level, because the tall trees don't let enough light down there for anything much to grow. But again, the tall tress are still competing up at the canopy. Valenwood is the end-game, where a few really big trees are in control.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The role player in me screams yes, yes, yes . Though from a gaming perspective I can sort of see why not.
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could the crappy engine handle it tho?
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My immersion says yes, but my performance says noooooo
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    As a Telvanni, it is my opinion that Valenwood needs more giant mushrooms instead of trees.
    Edited by Tethilia on March 29, 2020 10:27PM
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot that can be done to improve the atmosphere: more trees in Valenwood, more snow/ash/sandstorms in the relevant regions, more mists in High Rock and Black Marsh, more lag in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by MusCanus on March 30, 2020 3:36AM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tethilia wrote: »
    As a Telvanni, it is my opinion that Valenwood needs more giant mushrooms instead of trees.

That wouldn´t fit really well, it´s best if we keep our goodies to ourselves ;)