The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can I launch Steam copy of ESO without Steam?

Sanctibar
Sanctibar
Soul Shriven
I signed up for a free weekend back in November. The trial was offered through Steam (the ESO website directed new users to download it through Steam). I liked the game and tried to buy it on the ESO website, but it said I wasn't eligible. Didn't want my money? Okay, fine.

A short while later, it was on sale again and I discovered that the free trial locked me into a Steam copy of the game. Great. Locked in without buying the game. I bought it, figuring I'd be able to play it directly from the launcher. I guess the November update disabled that feature.

Is it possible to launch a Steam copy of ESO without using the Steam launcher?

If not, next question. The forums have a lot of info about linking to a Steam copy. I'm asking the opposite. I don't want to play ESO through Steam. I'm unable to purchase the game through the ESO website. If I rebuy the game (sigh) through a 3rd party site (Bundle Stars, GMG, etc), can I add the code to my account and play without Steam while keeping my characters and progress? Steam takes a cut of sales. I'd rather buy things like ESO+ and expansions (and the main game, but I can't) directly from the ESO site. Don't you guys want more money? Seriously, I'm trying to give you money. Take my money!
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    If you have purchased ESO thru steam you will need the steam client in order to play.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • Sanctibar
    Sanctibar
    Soul Shriven
    OK, how about my second question?
    Sanctibar wrote: »
    If I rebuy the game through a 3rd party site (Bundle Stars, GMG, etc), can I add the code to my account and play without Steam while keeping my characters and progress?

In other words, can I buy a new copy of ESO and link the new ESO code to my current Steam ESO account so that I can download and play the game outside of Steam while keeping my characters and progress?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe you can play without Steam,
    If I rebuy the game through a 3rd party site (Bundle Stars, GMG, etc), can I add the code to my account and play without Steam while keeping my characters and progress?

In other words, can I buy a new copy of ESO and link the new ESO code to my current Steam ESO account so that I can download and play the game outside of Steam while keeping my characters and progress?

I am pretty sure you can't. I think if you want to play without Steam after getting it via Steam then you have to start over.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's very unlikely. In most cases, you can't apply a new game code to an existing account. It will say "You don't qualify for this product."
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    I had some bad problems like yours. Enodoc, above, helped me tremendously.

In short, if you play via Steam, you're stuck that way. In addition, I had to have an old account restored from two years ago. Didn't have a launcher, and I purchased the game through Steam.

Started digging in the Steam folder (Program Files (x86)), opened every folder and found a Bethesda.net_launcher that worked for me. Don't know if it will help you or not. Thing was, when my old account was restored, it wasn't under Steam anymore, but the ESO launcher didn't work either, it was as if my game was neither ESO nor Steam, sigh.

Good luck.

• Sanctibar
    Sanctibar
    Soul Shriven
    Forgot to update this.

Bought a non-Steam key and linked it to my Steam copy. I can now play without Steam.

It works.
  • YSTREB
    YSTREB
    Forgot to update this.

Bought a non-Steam key and linked it to my Steam copy. I can now play without Steam.

It works.

And what about your in-game progress, dlc and crowns (that u buy in steam)?
    My Steam
    UserID @YSTREB | PC/EU
  • Digielf
    Digielf
    ✭✭✭
    You need Steam installed but if you want to launch it as non-steam game just go to its folder on SteamApps > common > Zenimax Online > The Elder Scrolls Online EU/NA and create shortcut of the eso.exe to your desktop, that should work