Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Guide : The great Houses motifs - Telvanni - Redoran - Hlaalu

Apherius
Apherius
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
hey , i already made a a guide on the french side, but i think this could also help some peoples.

Informations :
With horn of the reach they introduced 3 new motifs ( Telvanni - Redoran - Hlaalu )
Patch note wrote:
The Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni Motifs are now available in Vvardenfell! These three styles and their associated style items can be found by stealing from citizens of Vvardenfell - picking their pockets, stealing from their safe boxes, and looting Thieves Troves left behind by fellow members of the Thieves Guild.
Notice that there is probably a cooldown of " 90 minutes " between each motifs that you can steal.

Mats:
With these motifs, they added new "style mats " , that you can find like these motifs ... by stealing vvardenfell citizens, most of the time you will need 10 of each mats to refin and be able to create 1 telvanii-reodran-hlaalu items, and rarely you will steal a " style mats " already refined
You can also get these " style mats " ( btw i still use the word " style mats " say me if i'm wrong) by deconstucting Vvardenfell gear/weapons ( telvanni-reodran - hlaalu style of course ), i think it's like the minotaur style mats, the chance to get Style mats will depend of pages you have learned
513154Screenshot201708291529071.png

Maximize the loots/gold:
if you want to farm these page , delete all your " white " stolen items cause you can only sell 140 items to the fencer ( it's better to only sell green/blue/purple items ) , this will maximize the gold you will get in your sessions.
Legerdemain/thieves guild/dark brother hood passif are also very usefull.

Motifs:
here my Rotation:
  • Red points : NPC that you can steal and kill.
  • Blue points : Guards
  • Black line : The way.
  • Purple line: 2 door with 4 NPC in.
  • Yellow points : Stairs
385470InkedScreenshot20170828195912LI.jpg

Edited by Apherius on October 8, 2017 11:40AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apherius wrote: »
    ALWAYS steal 2 times the citizen then kill with the blade of woe.

No. Steal until empty (can be more than 3 items per NPC).

• Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Depend , both method have the same result, 3 loot.
    The difference is that it's easier to kill the target and get the third loot than steal the target a third times.
    I never had a 4th item on any NPC , are you sure ?
    Edited by Apherius on September 11, 2017 3:48PM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? I'll have to try that. Last time I tried that they were really empty. They may have changed that.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference is that it's easier to kill the target and get the third loot than steal the target a third times.

Yes, 100%. Sometimes 5 or 6 items.

• victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite tactic in crowded places is to quickly tag a bunch of npcs by pickpocketing once, then going about my business. That way, if someone else comes by and kills the npcs I will still get the loot drops. (E.g. if I pickpocket once, then I will still get my two remaining items if someone else knifes the npc; if I pickpocket twice, I get one more item from the corpse.) And I don't have to take as many risks with my declining success chance.

I've pickpocketed two motifs within 15 minutes, and I was banking & fencing in between.

With the new crafting style mats, you can sometimes get more than three items from a single npc. I've only had this happen in Vvardenfell, though - everywhere else in the game I pick-pick-stab. XD
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • ArvenAldmeri
    ArvenAldmeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats bullcrap, buddy. You can never steal or loot more than 3 items from NPCs. And if you wanna prove anyone wrong its gonna need a video. I picked hundreds of NPCs and never had more than 3 possible items from them. And as Apherius said, its the best to steal 2x and kill the 3rd time instead of risking to fail + then the NPC respawns and you can loot it again, otherwise it would be "empty" the next round you come to it.
    Magicka sorcerer from start until the end. Always. Through the good times and the bad, even now when its probably saddest PvE dps it has ever been.
    Even as an owner of one radiant apex mounts I am against radiant apex mounts and anything thats not obtainable by direct purchase.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats bullcrap, buddy. You can never steal or loot more than 3 items from NPCs. And if you wanna prove anyone wrong its gonna need a video. I picked hundreds of NPCs and never had more than 3 possible items from them. And as Apherius said, its the best to steal 2x and kill the 3rd time instead of risking to fail + then the NPC respawns and you can loot it again, otherwise it would be "empty" the next round you come to it.

Actually it's true. Usually when it happens for me, the 3rd item I pick is a piece of the style crafting material. Then when I stab, I get another piece of crafting material. Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.
    NA PS4
  • Vizikul
    Vizikul
    ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes you can steal 5 or 6 items from one single NPC. It is a bug, though, and you don't actually get more items. The specific npc just carries the items of another npc. This happened quite often to me in Orsinium. 1 npc carries 6 items, while another npc within its range is completely empty.
    Pugging. Pugging all the way to victory.
    Imperial Dragonknight --- male, stamina, heavy & medium armor, dual wield, one hand and shield, two handed.
    Breton Templar --- female, magicka, light armor, restoration staff.
    Redguard Warden --- female, stamina, medium armor, bow.
    Breton Sorcerer --- male, magicka, light armor, destruction staff.
    Imperial Templar --- male, stamina, medium armor, two handed.

Daggerfall Covenant loyalist
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The maximum number of items you can get from an NPC is 3. If you pickpocket them 3 times they don't drop anything more if you stab them afterwards but it's recommendable to do so if possible because it makes them reset with full inventory again. If you stab them outright you only get the 1st item you would have pickpocketted, which is of relatively lower quality. Further pickpocketting tends to yield items of better quality, including motif pages and some furnishings. Your ledgermain skill level also affects the chances of getting higher quality loot. That's why picking only the 1st item or stabbing has a very low rate of motif drops.

I don't think there's a cooldown in getting motifs. I have gotten 2 pages about 30 minutes apart. I usually get only 2-3 per day since I limit my pickpocketting time to about 1h30m because I would have gotten enough green or better quality items to reach the daily fencing limit even with 4/4 trafficker. I can get up to 20K gold from those alone. I usually don't pay off my bounty, but leave it about 5-6K and log off in an outlaw refuge till next evening. It would have cleared by then.

Yesterday I lost all the loot I had, including 3 motif pages and a few furnishings, in addition to a full sack of loot because I got oneshot by a guard with an arrow from long distance. It had never happened to me before so I was quite surprised and pissed off. As a result I stopped farming, got some money from the bank and bought off all motif pages, completing not only the house motifs, but Ashlander, Morag Tong, Buoyant Armiger and Militant Ordinator for the bargain price of 3.75M gold and 2.25M AP. I may farm in the future but now I don't have any reason to. It's tedious and stressful.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you don't seem to believe that you can sometimes get more than 3 picks from any NPC. But it's true. I spent a lot of time in Derano's house in Hew's Bane trying to get the coffin and lid. Most of the time after 3 picks, she was empty but, sometimes she had a fourth pick. It's rare but it happens. It was on a fourth pick that I got the coffin. I, personally, have never seen more than 4 picks but I won't call anyone a liar, either.

Edited for grammar
    Edited by Hippie4927 on October 8, 2017 2:30PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Some of you don't seem to believe that you can sometimes get more than 3 picks from any NPC. But it's true. I spent a lot of time in Derano's house in Hew's Bane trying to get the coffin and lid. Most of the time after 3 picks, she was empty but, sometimes she had a fourth pick. It's rare but it happens. It was on a fourth pick that I got the coffin. I, personally, have never seen more than 4 picks but I won't call anyone a liar, either.

Edited for grammar

Yeah I surprised myself when I got a 4th pick; then I didn't believe it- and it happened again 2 days later! But those were the only times!
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats bullcrap, buddy. You can never steal or loot more than 3 items from NPCs. And if you wanna prove anyone wrong its gonna need a video.

No, it's true.
    And I won't bother with providing a video. Believe what you like. Enough people here testify it's true.
    Asardes wrote: »
    The maximum number of items you can get from an NPC is 3.

No. It's more than 3. 3 is just the "usual" number of items, not the maximum.

• ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    I got several times NPCs with only two items in them, meaning pick, pick and stab had me an empty corpse. And I also got several times four or five items on a NPC. As others said above, mostly that happens with stile mats carried, but not all the time. Sometimes it's just four normal items on the NPC.....
    Metal forever \m/
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish that 14 chapter nonsense would get reverted post haste.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Cyron74
    Cyron74
    ✭✭
    I've had more than 3 items from NPCs quite often. However it seems 4,5 or 6 is just as rare for me as in I can get 6 as often as 4 which is weird. I have had it happen twice that I only got 2 items from an NPC so think that might just be a bug.

But more than 3 items per NPC is not that rare for me at least. Know others that have only recieved it once or twice in all their time.

Other NPCs have not had less number of items(or empty) on them when someone has dropped more than 3 so that speculation I don't think hold true.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm I have encountered NPC's with 4 items in the past, but I still normally do 2x steal 1x stab because of the steal chances and lack of knowledge as to if it's randomly chosen to have more or just specific NPC.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice that there is probably a cooldown of " 90 minutes " between each motifs that you can steal.

I've been on a mission to see if this 90 minute cooldown was true or myth. I have been able to confirm that you can get the motif more frequently than every 90 minutes. After fine tuning my pick pocketing rout I have been able to get 2 motifs within 30 minutes on a fairly regular basis. I would say on average around 4-5 every 3 hours, mostly depending on how many other players are pick pocketing on my rout.

There seems to be a MUCH lower chance of getting a motif drop for a while after you loot one but the soonest I've gotten one in succession after another is about 25 minutes. Not sure if your chances drop and then slowly increase over time but that feels like what's happening. I suspect that they are back to normal within about an hour.

This is from a bit over a week of me pick pocketing for 3-4 hours a day.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed, yes. I have gotten on many occasions 5 items from one NPC (maybe 6 once). If you get a crafting mat on the second pic you are most likely going to get up to five pics (mostly mats); that's my experience. I have also gotten a motif page on the very first pic many, many times. It is always a welcome surprise. :p

OP, I run a very similar route as you. B)

Edited by Enemy-of-Coldharbour on February 2, 2018 10:38PM
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    The maximum number of items you can get from an NPC is 3. If you pickpocket them 3 times they don't drop anything more if you stab them afterwards but it's recommendable to do so if possible because it makes them reset with full inventory again. If you stab them outright you only get the 1st item you would have pickpocketted, which is of relatively lower quality. Further pickpocketting tends to yield items of better quality, including motif pages and some furnishings. Your ledgermain skill level also affects the chances of getting higher quality loot. That's why picking only the 1st item or stabbing has a very low rate of motif drops.

I don't think there's a cooldown in getting motifs. I have gotten 2 pages about 30 minutes apart. I usually get only 2-3 per day since I limit my pickpocketting time to about 1h30m because I would have gotten enough green or better quality items to reach the daily fencing limit even with 4/4 trafficker. I can get up to 20K gold from those alone. I usually don't pay off my bounty, but leave it about 5-6K and log off in an outlaw refuge till next evening. It would have cleared by then.

Yesterday I lost all the loot I had, including 3 motif pages and a few furnishings, in addition to a full sack of loot because I got oneshot by a guard with an arrow from long distance. It had never happened to me before so I was quite surprised and pissed off. As a result I stopped farming, got some money from the bank and bought off all motif pages, completing not only the house motifs, but Ashlander, Morag Tong, Buoyant Armiger and Militant Ordinator for the bargain price of 3.75M gold and 2.25M AP. I may farm in the future but now I don't have any reason to. It's tedious and stressful.

Which brings up a good point. What build/class/race are people finding the most success with?

If guard damage is an issue, there is that one set that lowers guard damage by 40%.

I'm betting the guard hit you with the "Taking aim!" shot.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which brings up a good point. What build/class/race are people finding the most success with?

If guard damage is an issue, there is that one set that lowers guard damage by 40%.

I'm betting the guard hit you with the "Taking aim!" shot.

@Wreuntzylla I use (with great success):
    • Khajiit Nightblade (Cutpurse passive (Increases your chance to successfully pickpocket by 5%.) + Shadowy Disguise for quick escapes)
    • 5x Night Mother's Embrace
    • 4x Night Terror
    • 3x Agility

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • maryriv
    maryriv
    ✭✭✭✭

I get 2 from stealing and 2 from BOW sometimes so you still get the extra.
  • tansyuduri
    tansyuduri
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for this!
    Beta Tester | PC Player | NA Server | Returning Player

STOP KILLING THE MONKEYS