The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO and Virtual Reality ?

• DaveTum
    DaveTum
    Kalante wrote: »
    What a terrible idea. How could you even play? you would be dying so easily because you can't tell what is going on around you. This is an intensive field of view game. I would imagine you could just walk around casually but to do anything else other than that is just suicide.

Lol....

Why do people post stupid comments when they’ve never tried VR.
    How do you think you play? You play the character like you do on boring flat screen style, but you are the character, in a world that is real.

Let’s put it this way. Playing games on flat tv screens is the past. VR is the future of gaming.
    Think of Star Trek next generations holodeck.
    That is how VR is.
    Options
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveTum wrote: »
    What a terrible idea. How could you even play? you would be dying so easily because you can't tell what is going on around you. This is an intensive field of view game. I would imagine you could just walk around casually but to do anything else other than that is just suicide.

Lol....

How do you think you play? You play the character like you do on boring flat screen style, but you are the character, in a world that is real.

Let’s put it this way. Playing games on flat tv screens is the past. VR is the future of gaming.
    That is how VR is.

I don't think it's a stupid comment. In an MMO being aware of your surroundings is crucial. I love Elite Dangerous in VR, but I dread to imagine what it must be like to face enemies in ESO while at the same time keeping an eye on the ground to spot the red attacks. Getting surrounded by some mobs probably means RIP as well.

Not to mention the struggle of ESO keeping a steady 90fps for an enjoyable VR experience.
    Options
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol....

That is how VR is.

Star trek holo deck, lol. Keep dreaming. We will be long dead when when that happens. Thanks for completely ignoring that fact that i am talking about today.
    Edited by Kalante on April 14, 2018 10:42PM
    Options
  • DaveTum
    DaveTum

Lol....

That is how VR is.

Star trek holo deck, lol. Keep dreaming. We will be long dead when when that happens. Thanks for completely ignoring that fact that i am talking about today.

This is someone whose never tried VR. Just you stick to boring flat screen gaming thinking that’s the best.

And yes, an MMO in VR would be amazing.
    There already is one, but it’s a indie mmo, and really we need a big title converting.

Edited by DaveTum on April 14, 2018 10:57PM
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VR is nothing like 3D.
    The world feels so real.

i meant just like 3d wow, it will look good, but be difficult to play. thats what i think but hey, unless they released it, we'll never know
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lol....

That is how VR is.
    [/quote

This is someone whose never tried VR. Just you stick to boring flat screen gaming thinking that’s the best.

And yes, an MMO in VR would be amazing.
    There already is one, but it’s a indie mmo, and really we need a big title converting.

Hey some people LIKE 'boring flat screen gaming'. Personally do not like vr as do not like playing in first person. And another reason is am prone to motion sickness.

Whilst the holodeck experience might be nirvana for some, I am wary. I like my gaming worlds to not be so realistic - and always always will prefer the real over pixels.

Edited by Hallothiel on April 14, 2018 11:40PM
    Options
  • brimstone74
    brimstone74
    ✭✭✭
    Why do players whose has obviously never tried VR actually make any comments?
    I wouldn’t try PvP in VR! Really? Try it! It’s amaxing. 2D gaming is coming to an end when VR becomes cheaper.
    The only problem with VR at the moment is the price Other than that, it’s the best you can get in gaming.
    Yes ESO in VR would be amazing. Try watching some Skyrim VR (pc) videos. Even they don’t give it any justice though.
    If you’ve never tried VR there is no point in posting. You have no idea.

Some of us will never like VR even after trying it. It will not replace 2d, but will become an affordable option for those that enjoy it. That being said, I support progression of options, even those I don't particularly appreciate.
    It's Mundumental!
    Options
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as zos is making eso their next single player game with co op features

Eso wiscree questions.
    -How would you animation cancel
    -Load screens?
    -Lag?
    Just thoughs three would put me in a seizure
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope ESO doesn't go VR unless it's optional because I find it very difficult to play a game when I'm puking. :/

This ^^ ... I cannot stand it as well.
    Options
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol....

That is how VR is.
    We've heard the bolded line before. Didn't work out so well. There's a ton of development and technology reasons why.

In these types of MMOs, you really need to be able to process a great deal of data, often from multiple attackers from every direction, visually in order to be really effective at it. The current VR setup would make processing that kind of data difficult. It's not impossible, but it's a sh*& ton of development work and testing. It would be extremely unlikely for it to be worth the effort, let alone the kind of immersive experience of a holodeck, or even fictional MMO's like Sword Art Online. You're talking millions of dollars in development and testing alone.

By the way, before you start calling me a naysayer, you should know I'm literally watching a holodeck episode of DS9 at the time of this edit and would dearly love to have that kind of creative world to play in. It's just not going to happen any time soon. I'm hopeful for the future of VR but it's really just a fancy piece of hardware at this point and it's hard to develop mainstream games for.
    Edited by Spottswoode on April 15, 2018 8:11AM
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone want to watch the loading screen in VR ?

As atm that's all the game is giving...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • HighKinlady
    HighKinlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine getting the bags in first person Vr..or don’t , it’s actually pretty cringe to think about .
    XB NA
    High Kinlady

PC : Kinlady

Options
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really VR, or just mounting a screen to your face?
    Options
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the same before I bought an Oculus. It's more than just a screen in front of you. The displays create a 3D environment and the screen is tracked by a camera so that head movement moves your vision. It is extremely immersive in the right games. I love racing games and any kind of simulator. Elite Dangerous was a good game until I played it in VR. It's amazing now!

ESO won't be though.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol....

That is how VR is.
    We've heard the bolded line before. Didn't work out so well. There's a ton of development and technology reasons why.

In these types of MMOs, you really need to be able to process a great deal of data, often from multiple attackers from every direction, visually in order to be really effective at it. The current VR setup would make processing that kind of data difficult. It's not impossible, but it's a sh*& ton of development work and testing. It would be extremely unlikely for it to be worth the effort, let alone the kind of immersive experience of a holodeck, or even fictional MMO's like Sword Art Online. You're talking millions of dollars in development and testing alone.

I will agree that VR is not a holodeck. At best, it is a poor simulation of a holodeck, and will be for decades.

Is VR the future of gaming? Not in the exclusive sense that it is written, but it will definitely play an increasingly larger role in games in the future. The development and technology to do it are now a matter of scale. The feat is making it commercially feasible for the masses.

We can already do the things that were discussed in the 1990's article. We can present visual world data to the person, we can adjust the virtual reality based on positioning of the hands, head, and body. We can use that to interact with things inside of the world. We can use our voice to either interact with the world or talk to others in the world. We can present a first person interactive immersive world that responds to our actions and instructions.

Now, we just need to do all that well, seamlessly in real time, and make it accessible to the consumer. Right now, we are still at the crawl phase and have just learned to walk, but have not mastered it yet. That will come, in time.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol....

That is how VR is.

I will agree that VR is not a holodeck. At best, it is a poor simulation of a holodeck, and will be for decades.

Is VR the future of gaming? Not in the exclusive sense that it is written, but it will definitely play an increasingly larger role in games in the future. The development and technology to do it are now a matter of scale. The feat is making it commercially feasible for the masses.

We can already do the things that were discussed in the 1990's article. We can present visual world data to the person, we can adjust the virtual reality based on positioning of the hands, head, and body. We can use that to interact with things inside of the world. We can use our voice to either interact with the world or talk to others in the world. We can present a first person interactive immersive world that responds to our actions and instructions.

Now, we just need to do all that well, seamlessly in real time, and make it accessible to the consumer. Right now, we are still at the crawl phase and have just learned to walk, but have not mastered it yet. That will come, in time.

And the biggest thing, how to make it so people can move about freely, walking, running etc... and have that translate into the VR world. So far that is doable, but not feasible. I really think we will never see it, and the best VR will do is head movements and hand movements. All actual x, y and z axis movements will need to be button based since our living rooms are simply not a good space to be jumping around in while blindfolded.

Even the holodecks in Star Trek never addressed how people are able to walk in a straight line and not bump into the holodeck walls eventually. In one episode I recall they glossed over the question with "The holodeck fools you in other ways too."

There is also a rather large part of the population that simply does not enjoy the 3-D VR experience, whether it is wearing a cumbersome, uncomfortable headset, or the motion sickness that many are prone to. I personally get headaches after about 15 minutes of watching a 3-D movie, although that mainly comes from the constant focal length shifting that you have no control over in movies.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    And the biggest thing, how to make it so people can move about freely, walking, running etc... and have that translate into the VR world. So far that is doable, but not feasible. I really think we will never see it, and the best VR will do is head movements and hand movements. All actual x, y and z axis movements will need to be button based since our living rooms are simply not a good space to be jumping around in while blindfolded.

Even the holodecks in Star Trek never addressed how people are able to walk in a straight line and not bump into the holodeck walls eventually. In one episode I recall they glossed over the question with "The holodeck fools you in other ways too."

There is also a rather large part of the population that simply does not enjoy the 3-D VR experience, whether it is wearing a cumbersome, uncomfortable headset, or the motion sickness that many are prone to. I personally get headaches after about 15 minutes of watching a 3-D movie, although that mainly comes from the constant focal length shifting that you have no control over in movies.

The holodeck "walk long distances in a straight line" has a known solution that can be applied to VR.

Movement in a virtual world in a confined space with clutter has already been invented.

We know how to do this stuff. The hurdle is applying it to gaming in a manner that people will accept, and pay for.

Now, physical response to VR is another matter. As with many technologies, some people will adapt to it more easily than others. Look at people who have trouble in cars, or with flying. Let's not forget the multitude of people who cannot interact with their mobile devices without risking their lives, or the lives of people around them. I don't see this as a general inhibitor, and problems will be resolved as the implementations improve.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...There is also a rather large part of the population that simply does not enjoy the 3-D VR experience, whether it is wearing a cumbersome, uncomfortable headset, or the motion sickness that many are prone to. I personally get headaches after about 15 minutes of watching a 3-D movie, although that mainly comes from the constant focal length shifting that you have no control over in movies.

Then there are those like me who can't even see the 3D effects due to how my eyes work. If I look at anything that's supposed to be 3D, especially the theaters with the glasses, I see nothing in 3D. The glasses simply make the picture no longer blurry. I haven't even bothered looking into VR because I am pretty sure it wouldn't be a fun experience for me.

Plus, how can I wear my nice headset if I am wearing that thing?
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The holodeck "walk long distances in a straight line" has a known solution that can be applied to VR.

Movement in a virtual world in a confined space with clutter has already been invented.

We know how to do this stuff. The hurdle is applying it to gaming in a manner that people will accept, and pay for.

Now, physical response to VR is another matter. As with many technologies, some people will adapt to it more easily than others. Look at people who have trouble in cars, or with flying. Let's not forget the multitude of people who cannot interact with their mobile devices without risking their lives, or the lives of people around them. I don't see this as a general inhibitor, and problems will be resolved as the implementations improve.

Oh, I can think of ways to make it work. Like suspending someone over a giant sphere that could move in 360 degrees allowing for sidestepping etc... and large enough that the top of it feels like a flat surface. Like a huge trackball.

I have also read of ways to make straight line walking work, using treadmills, but that stops working with any kind of lateral movement.

But translating any ideas into a usable end-user living room environment that is actually better than just using a button (pushing on invisible walls or using hand gestures etc.. I don't see as any better than using buttons) is so far off, I just don't see it happening.
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is an explanation as to how the holodeck works with people not bumping into walks etc. Just google the question / go to Sci Fi Stack exchange & they will have the treckky techy answer. It's done with force fields under the feet or some such.

(I have just realised how much of a damn neek I am. :o )
    Options
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried playing this game in first person be for it works other than 1 thing that is the mobs seems every mob in the game is a ex circus performer and can do 12 foot high 12 foot long summer salt jump over your head make playing in first person to annoying always having some one be hind you not knowing if there about to knock you down so 3rd person is the best
    and i don't think VR would be very good with eso in combat - and on horse- tho just walking around would be ok but boring

and lets not get into first person group or even dolmen good luck seeing any thing AT ALL would just be a aurora of spells and crotches across your screen

Edited by Valkysas154 on April 15, 2018 6:31PM
    Options
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do players whose has obviously never tried VR actually make any comments?
    I wouldn’t try PvP in VR! Really? Try it! It’s amaxing. 2D gaming is coming to an end when VR becomes cheaper.
    The only problem with VR at the moment is the price Other than that, it’s the best you can get in gaming.
    Yes ESO in VR would be amazing. Try watching some Skyrim VR (pc) videos. Even they don’t give it any justice though.
    If you’ve never tried VR there is no point in posting. You have no idea.

Pretty much exactly this, especially the highlighted
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    There is an explanation as to how the holodeck works with people not bumping into walks etc. Just google the question / go to Sci Fi Stack exchange & they will have the treckky techy answer. It's done with force fields under the feet or some such.

(I have just realised how much of a damn neek I am. :o )

Ah of course. Although I think if people somehow invent force field technology, VR will be a pretty trivial thing.

Maybe we should work on force fields first given the incredible application possibilities, lol.
    Options
  • Crackk3
    Crackk3
    Soul Shriven
    I play TES online in VR. By the way, it is very good even from the first person too, especially with a tank, but also from the third one) is also cool by the way. Looking into the eyes of the last boss through a shield in HM is a great feeling .... Yes, of course, in a VR helmet, your fighting qualities fall a bit, but if the battle is too difficult, you can take off the helmet and continue to look into a regular monitor! I apologize for the quality of the video, filmed a video on the phone (that the image is 2560 x 1280 (1280x 1280 for each eye)

https://youtu.be/5vennKJ5yms

Edited by Crackk3 on February 25, 2019 4:03PM
    Options
  • Crackk3
    Crackk3
    Soul Shriven
    I opened the helmet and took off what was happening on his monitor
    Options
  • Crackk3
    Crackk3
    Soul Shriven
    Why do players who have obviously never tried virtual reality make any comments?
    I would not try PvP in VR! Indeed? Try! It's amazing. 2D games are coming to an end when VR is getting cheaper.
    The only problem with VR at the moment is the price. In addition, this is the best that you can get in games.
    Yes, ESO in VR would be awesome. Try watching some Skyrim VR (pc) videos. Even they give it no justice though.
    If you have never tried VR, it makes no sense to post messages. You have no ideas.

and there is! TesOnline in VR is awesome! I have never understood people who reduce the quality of the game in order to have advantages in battle, and in a VR helmet it is even very interesting to just walk around Tamriel!
    Edited by Crackk3 on February 25, 2019 5:04PM
    Options
  • Crackk3
    Crackk3
    Soul Shriven

Here's what's the matter .. VR appears when each eye sees a different picture, it is slightly mixed from each other, this is the so-called parallax) for example, take some volumetric object such as a cube ... bring it close to the eyes, turn edge, and you notice .. I close my eyes alternately as you see one and the other facet of the cube, with one eye it seems that there is more than one face and the other is smaller, the other eye is the opposite. This is how our eyes see volume in life ... due to the fact that there is a distance between them .... this is how we determine the distance to an object as a result of parallax .... on a flat monitor this is not available, and when in the case of a VR helmet, the monitor It is brought close to the eyes. Two different images are formed for each eye ... and they are slightly distorted with the help of Frenkel lenses. and you see the volume as in life ...

Of course, this is an illusion, but who said that our world is true?
    Edited by Crackk3 on February 25, 2019 5:05PM
    Options
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played ESO with 3D vision for years. One thing worth noting is that playing the game in stereo not only gives you depth perception, but also greatly increases the image sharpness. In terms of performance, yes it's a hit, but on the other hand there are quite a few gfx settings that are expensive as well, yet pale in significance to 3D vision. Consider things like anti aliasing, filtering, ambient occlusion, HDR, bloom, distortion and all those other settings you tend to find under "high" or "ultra" quality. Once you play in 3D you can switch those off and you'll barely notice the difference. 3D trumps all!

Now, as for VR. DIfferent story alltogether. I've tried playing ESO with Vorpx in 'vr mode' and it sucked. Head tracking was ok, but there was hardly any depth perception and image clarity was bad. A bit like trying to play the game with your head 10cm from the screen.

Now, that does not mean it can't be done right. I'm keeping my eyes on these people and put in a request to start supporting ESO. These are (some of) the guys who kept 3D vision alive long after nVidia stopped supporting games and are now working to bring games in Theater mode to VR headsets.
    If you think it's worth paying 4 euros for, drop a vote for my feature request there :)
    Edited by Muizer on November 22, 2019 4:24PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Curious.
    How do you dodge roll if playing in VR?
    How do you fight?
    Do you still have to press a button?

If you have to physically do the actual movements, how is this going to work for most people?

Or have i missed the point?
    Options
This discussion has been closed.