Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

ESO and Virtual Reality ?

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until they make a headset that does not require me to wear glasses, VR is a non starter. I have only tried the PS4 system, used it for about an hour and never hooked it up again.

What limited exposure I had makes me think it might be a good way to game, but only a game that is designed for the experience.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine ESO in VR. Then whenever you use the mount you have to canter on the same spot.
    Options
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaults of Madness in VR is my dream. All those death drops. Mmm.
    Options
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d probably get motion sickness like crazy

*Hits Take Flight, immediately starts throwing up*
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Valykc wrote: »
    I’d probably get motion sickness like crazy

*Hits Take Flight, immediately starts throwing up*

Too many 'spin the camera' at speed already do, VR is a non-starter for those that suffer from these types of 'vertigo' effects
    Edited by Gythral on November 22, 2019 8:26PM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveTum wrote: »
    Hi,
    After the release of Elder Scrolls Skyrim VR on steam this week, I was wondering if there’s any news on whether ESO will also get a conversation to VR ?
    I’ve been playing Skyrim VR last couple of days, and it’s incredible. The world is amazing, and feels very real.
    I could imagine ESO with a simlar world to Skyrim VR, would be the best ever MMO. Could be the start of the future in MMOs.

Hopefully this is something the devs have already thought about.

They can't even get 3D right, and you expect VR? LMAO

Edited by CiliPadi on November 22, 2019 9:08PM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VR is so no go for me.... vertigo already and for many years now. I can't even stand to move the camera very quickly in any game, and when I tried my nephew's Oculus headset I couldn't get it off fast enough - can't now remember which game he had going, but it was NOT a fun thing at all...
    Options
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Curious.
    How do you dodge roll if playing in VR?
    How do you fight?
    Do you still have to press a button?

If you have to physically do the actual movements, how is this going to work for most people?

Or have i missed the point?

VR comes in different degrees. I think you're thinking of "full" VR where you can not just look around, but also move around and use controllers as virtual hands. I don't think that would work for ESO gameplay except as a gimmick.

However, the most basic implementation would just be to implement stereoscopic vision. I.e. you'd remain seated and use mouse and keyboard/gamepad as per usual while playing in 3rd person perspective. Headtracking might be on if the virtual screen is large, but it could be off as well. That is essentially what nVidia 3Dvision does. Sadly that's been discontinued.

I get the reservations about full VR, but I can assure you any reservations about playing ESO in stereoscopic 3D are misplaced. It's unequivocally awesome with nvidia 3Dvision. Whether it will be with VR headsets I don't know. I hope so, because as I mentioned 3Dvision is being discontinued.

Edited by Muizer on November 22, 2019 10:30PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    However, the most basic implementation would just be to implement stereoscopic vision. I.e. you'd remain seated and use mouse and keyboard/gamepad as per usual while playing in 3rd person perspective. Headtracking might be on if the virtual screen is large, but it could be off as well. That is essentially what nVidia 3Dvision does. Sadly that's been discontinued.

Just FYI, the latest drivers and cards from nvidia still support it and those of us who have the 3D-Vision hardware still enjoying it immensely.
    Been playing Borderlands 3 with it, which is beyond awesome in 3D.

I'm hoping it'll work well with Outer Worlds as well (haven't bought that yet).
    cheer.gif

Edited by SirAndy on November 22, 2019 10:34PM
    Options
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For open world and questing... Sure. Why not.

Doing dungeons and trials would be miserable though.
    Playing since beta...
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FPS is too low to run comfortably in VR. My eyes start watering when I play it on a regular monitor.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    believe me...you don't want to experience esoVR...its just impossible to make it a great experience...and to grasp a bit about that...try playing in 1st person :D

i always play in first person
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Muizer wrote: »

Just FYI, the latest drivers and cards from nvidia still support it and those of us who have the 3D-Vision hardware still enjoying it immensely.
    Been playing Borderlands 3 with it, which is beyond awesome in 3D.

I'm hoping it'll work well with Outer Worlds as well (haven't bought that yet).
    cheer.gif

You don't play ESO in 3D? Anyway, you're right that it still works but without nVidia supporting it, it's just a matter of time before it won't work anymore. I'm reading the latest windows updates makes it impossible to run 3dVision with 4.30+ drivers. It's going to get more troublesome to keep it working as time goes on. Since VR is picking up as a market in a way that 3dvision never did, It's probably the best bet for future support for stereoscopic gaming.

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
    Options
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way, I see what ESO does to my Xbox.... not letting it anywhere near my brain...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
    Options
  • giinoz2011rwb17_ESO
    The pros and cons for VR a movie some of you may have seen I won't mention it but OASIS idea providing you have multi-directional treadmill, glove controllers or decent controllers, wireless vr headset, and high quality pfs and NO glitches or drop outs and you'd be set. If you don't have a treadmill you may have issues like Johnny English using VR lol.

As for doge roll or falling may have to take motion sickness medications but then again some experience that on a normal screen anyway.

Still the idea of full immersion into the game has some appeal for me for a long time just like the idea of TRON now that was truly immersive. Not possible at this time unfortunately.

But agreed it would have to be an option but could be implemented in the video settings so anyone with VR could give it a try should they desire to do so.

I have been out of game for awhile PC crashed then RL stuff.
    Hope to be back in game sometime 2020.
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    I'd buy DLC for this.
    Options
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wilddog73 wrote: »
    I'd buy DLC for this.

If they decided to fully support it they would add it to the base game. They wouldn't make a DLC focused on something that possibly a large part of the player base didn't have access to.
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    I'd buy DLC for this.

If they decided to fully support it they would add it to the base game. They wouldn't make a DLC focused on something that possibly a large part of the player base didn't have access to.

I'm just saying that's how hyped I'd be for it.
    Options
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't need a VR to see loading screens...come on...
    I had to ;)
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ESO ever went VR, I would prefer it to be completely optional. Otherwise I would have no choice but to sadly leave the game.

I've tried VR on several occasions, and it does not agree with my stomach. At all. Not to mention the fact that I would never be able to afford one of those headsets. Money is just too tight right now. Especially to buy something that only makes me vomit.

And there is no reason why it couldn't be a completely optional setting. It's not like we'd be depriving the VR enthusiasts if the rest of us couldn't VR alongside them.
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on July 20, 2020 12:18AM
    Options
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3D load screens. No thanks
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    But if I play in 1st person, how can I admire my character's ass.

I'm roleplaying. Staring at my own ass while walking sounds like a weird idea to me.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    vestahls wrote: »
    But if I play in 1st person, how can I admire my character's ass.

I'm roleplaying. Staring at my own ass while walking sounds like a weird idea to me.

With an icon like that, you can't tell me you haven't admired your character's thighs in a first person game before.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With an icon like that, you can't tell me you haven't admired your character's thighs in a first person game before.

I would actually like it to be able to see my legs and feet when looking down in 1st person view. Seems weird just floating around. So, for immersion - certainly. I'm not playing ESO for staring at butts, though.

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    I agree.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

The loading screens could have stuff jumping out at you unexpectedly!

As for ESO VR...I can't see them really supporting 3rd person, as that sounds like more work than ZOS would be willing to put into it. There are a lot of issues with camera movement and ESO already has some tight spaces for 3rd person. I can see them doing 1st person, but I am not sure I would want to play a 1st person VR ESO game.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    rumple9 wrote: »

The loading screens could have stuff jumping out at you unexpectedly!

As for ESO VR...I can't see them really supporting 3rd person, as that sounds like more work than ZOS would be willing to put into it. There are a lot of issues with camera movement and ESO already has some tight spaces for 3rd person. I can see them doing 1st person, but I am not sure I would want to play a 1st person VR ESO game.

You're kind of a backseat driver, aint'cha?
    Options
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It will be fun when I jump off the cliff in VR
    Options
  • Wilddog73
    Wilddog73
    ✭✭
    Yes.
    Options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "VR gaming will kill traditional monitors."

Oddly enough, despite this claim, one of the most famous VR games out there, Elite Dangerous, recently announced that for now, the next expansion of the game will not support VR at all. And it is none-other than the much-anticipated space legs! :D

No, VR is not going to "kill" anything.

And besides. Having used VR before, all I can say is this: ESO would be horrible in VR. It was never built for it, and I doubt there would be any reason for ZOS to even bother trying.

Skyrim is nothing like ESO. The singleplayer games are meant to be played 1st person. Always have been. ESO is one of the unusual ones for working better in 3rd person.

I would recommend an ultrawide monitor. It provides an actual upgrade in ESO experience.

Or a second monitor. Being able to use forums and such whilst playing on the fly is amazing.

In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
    Options
This discussion has been closed.