The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ehhghh Skip..

Hortator Indoril Nerevar
Hortator Indoril Nerevar
✭✭✭✭✭
Seriously.. Vanus Galerion is nothing but rude and acts like our characters are 3 year olds.. After everything we achieve the developers constantly add npc dialogue that is just insulting to the universe they designed.. He would not speak like that to our characters and if he did I would and many others would agree.. cut him into a million pieces and mail him to all the other insulting npcs as a warning...

I feel like skipping the dialogue... which means a lot because I really love the lore in TES.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking this very thing when running the teaser/intro quest last night. Who in the "blank" does this cat think he is talking to? Look at my resume there slick, the entire continent of Tamriel has knelled to my Night Blade, I suggest you do the same. I get the mages and the high elves in particular are condescending most of the time but we just saved the important person again, you're welcome. The dialog insinuates that we have never came through when needed or called upon, which simply isn't the case. Kind of knocked the wind out of that story for me.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Hortator Indoril Nerevar
    Hortator Indoril Nerevar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking this very thing when running the teaser/intro quest last night. Who in the "blank" does this cat think he is talking to? Look at my resume there slick, the entire continent of Tamriel has knelled to my Night Blade, I suggest you do the same. I get the mages and the high elves in particular are condescending most of the time but we just saved the important person again, you're welcome. The dialog insinuates that we have never came through when needed or called upon, which simply isn't the case. Kind of knocked the wind out of that story for me.

100% agree. It does not make sense in the universe they created for him to speak like that or at least to get away with it.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that really intrigues me. Haven’t played the teaser quest yet but it can’t be worse than the Great Shackle quest dialogues.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Now that really intrigues me. Haven’t played the teaser quest yet but it can’t be worse than the Great Shackle quest dialogues.

You mean "NowWitnessMyAwesomeAndMightyHurrDurrDerpSpellUnworthyScrubs" dialogue?
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    I think Vanus would actually, he is one of the most powerful mages in Tamriel and of course a High Elf, making him look down upon others seem logical. I actually prefer how he is now when opposed to how he was before.. a bit of a silly dude if you ask me.
    Hortator Indoril Nerevar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »

You mean "NowWitnessMyAwesomeAndMightyHurrDurrDerpSpellUnworthyScrubs" dialogue?

Yea its really growing old. Which is a shame because I normally love the lore and dialogue.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You expect different from an altmer?
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »

Yes, it was a bit odd, especially after you rescued him from bumbling in the Black Forge before...
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That’s funny. I was thinking the same.

They sometimes do a good job at changing up dialog based on prior interactions. Like Mel Adarys or Gabrielle Benele in the Gold Coast.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen worse from Mer. Their behavior in ESO is quite mild.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its a sad fate what happens to him later on in the lore. Mannimarco enslaves his body and he still remains undead even when he resurfaces during the third era. Vanus Galerion still remains trapped in a state of horrid undeath as a worm thrall. Most likely suffering having his soul bound to his corpse. Poor man even though rude does not deserve that.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IS it still the same annoying voice actor?
    Hortator Indoril Nerevar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a sad fate what happens to him later on in the lore. Mannimarco enslaves his body and he still remains undead even when he resurfaces during the third era. Vanus Galerion still remains trapped in a state of horrid undeath as a worm thrall. Most likely suffering having his soul bound to his corpse. Poor man even though rude does not deserve that.

Eh good. Im less mad.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just altmer things.

And people immedialty scream skyrim fanboy if you dislike altmer...
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Eh good. Im less mad.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Vanus_Galerion

In his never-ending lust for power, the undead Mannimarco began a tradition of killing, soul trapping and collecting the bodies of powerful wizards, most often arch-mages of the Guild, which he would then resurrect as Worm Thralls and study. Galerion was one such Thrall, whom Mannimarco developed a particular fondness for. He was still in a state of undeath in 3E 433 when Mannimarco once again returned to the affairs of mortals.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are gonna have some serious hard times when you are amongst them in their own lands.
    Xenophobic to the core, self righteous and bigoted altmer are just a joy at parties.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vanus Gallerion is a scrub, give me Mannimarco, the Camoran Usurper, or the Underking anyday over his spellcraft :wink:
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehh, I almost always skip the dialogue...because lets be honest here...this is a video game, and the writing in video games is horrible, you are lucky if some type of plot exists, but even if it does, you can be sure it makes no sense. Vivec holds the moonlet above Vivec City why exactly? Why not set it down gently elsewhere? To imply some type of threat over those he rules? That doesn't seem like a very efficient use of his power...keep himself constantly weakened to threaten people not worth threatening? The writing in this and every other video game(with a few exceptions) is bad....you are better off skipping it and reading a well written book instead.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    ehh, I almost always skip the dialogue...because lets be honest here...this is a video game, and the writing in video games is horrible, you are lucky if some type of plot exists, but even if it does, you can be sure it makes no sense. Vivec holds the moonlet above Vivec City why exactly? Why not set it down gently elsewhere? To imply some type of threat over those he rules? That doesn't seem like a very efficient use of his power...keep himself constantly weakened to threaten people not worth threatening? The writing in this and every other video game(with a few exceptions) is bad....you are better off skipping it and reading a well written book instead.

I don’t agree. Except for some unfortunate instances the story writing is a strong point of ESO. If you take your example of Baar’Dau, the moon let served the purpose to illustrate the power and divinity of Vivec. He keeps it in place a) because he can and b) as a threat to his people should they ever stop worshipping him.

For my part I almost always love the story telling as it’s really well done most times.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are all men from the future such loud mouth braggarts?
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fvh09NL wrote: »
    I think Vanus would actually, he is one of the most powerful mages in Tamriel and of course a High Elf, making him look down upon others seem logical. I actually prefer how he is now when opposed to how he was before.. a bit of a silly dude if you ask me.

I thought we was behaving differently than before. It has been so long since I played the quests he is in I was uncertain.

I predict when my characters are in Summerset there will be plenty of Altmer telling them they should not be there, and treating them worse than Vanus.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an ongoing problem with Bethesda/Zenimax. They have a habit of making characters rude and condescending even when it doesn't make sense, and especially when it conflicts with our accomplishments or the way we built our character.

This, in my opinion, reached a fever pitch in Fallout 4, where not a single character treats you like the invincible one-man-army you are. It's especially annoying in the Brotherhood and Institute, where everyone treats you like a gibbering moron even when an intellect of 10.

"He's not even a scientist!"

*Science perk maxed out*
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the times I've laughed the hardest in this game is when my friend and I were running the main storyline and Vanus was being his usual arrogant mouthy self for a while and then he pulled this "OMG DON'T TOUCH THAT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ---oh wait you're fine" thing, and I heard "whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff whiffwhiffwhiff" and turned around to see my friend madly swinging swords through that elf in an insane fury. It just expressed our feelings perfectly. Still cracks me up.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    I thought we was behaving differently than before. It has been so long since I played the quests he is in I was uncertain.

I recall him being stuck up, but not as rude as he was in the Summerset prequel quest. I'm hand-waving it with the explanation that Guildmaster Vanus is jealous because my character is making bigger waves than he is and he's not used to being shown up.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for this, the dialogues should check "if made quests xy" or "if achieved this and that" and then split the way they are talking to u in three categories: "freshman", "neutral" and "hero". this would contain to just write some dialogues in 3 times each, same content, different intonation. still its too much effort to redo it for all aspects of the game, but maybe at least for some main quests. it would really serve immersion. even tes morrowind was able to check your reputation and change the way, npc reacting on you.

now nearly 20 years later, another elder scrolls isnt able to do so...well...well... yes...

with one tamriel another problem occured as well: quest giver talking to you about stuff u did, which u didnt even do yet.

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• Vuldovahkriid
    Vuldovahkriid
    ✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    Fvh09NL wrote: »

I predict when my characters are in Summerset there will be plenty of Altmer telling them they should not be there, and treating them worse than Vanus.

I'd say Divayth Fyr is the/one of the most powerful mages in Tamriel. He's been around since the 1st Era(Vanus 2nd), and survived well into the 4th Era( over 4000 years old).
    Valtyr Stormblade- Nord DK CP810

Vulsahvith- Argonian NB CP810

Illidan Highborn- High Elf Sorc CP810

Thrall Durotar- Orc WD CP810

Mythos Varedis- Wood Elf TP CP810

Ra'zaq- Khajit NB CP810

Aelya Proudmoore- Breton Sorc CP810

Broxigar Saurfang- Orc DK CP810

Lady Sylvannas Windrunner- Dark Elf NB CP810

Lord Anduin Wyrnn- Breton TP CP810
  • Valamist
    Valamist
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny, when I first did the Coldharbour quests on my first main I did not really take much notice of his arrogance... then when I did it again on my new main I was like 'Can... can I kill him? No one will know, I will just blame it on some Daedra..."
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously.. Vanus Galerion is nothing but rude and acts like our characters are 3 year olds.. After everything we achieve the developers constantly add npc dialogue that is just insulting to the universe they designed.. He would not speak like that to our characters and if he did I would and many others would agree.. cut him into a million pieces and mail him to all the other insulting npcs as a warning...

I feel like skipping the dialogue... which means a lot because I really love the lore in TES.

Its a power thing. Keep in mind that lorewise, Vanus is one of the most powerful people on Nirn. A member of the guild is simply a peasant. The Dragonborn is really the only hero that truly had more power than other main lore characters.

I mean, keep in mind trying to cut him into a million pieces would be met with some of the most powerful magic in Tamriel
  • netch_a_sketch
    netch_a_sketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you were Vanus Galerion would you care? He's old and powerful and has probably met a ton of heroes just like you. On top of that he's a self interested Altmer.