The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Maelstrom, Master and Asylum weapons

Bevik
Bevik
✭✭✭✭
Will they get a buff or a 2nd bonus or the people who completed one of the hardest contents just going to miss out a bonus?

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does 2H actually miss a bonus though?

The DW variants are not (to my knowledge) getting two bonuses and still take both slots in order to use.

There is room for buffs to make them more appealing vs running double sets, but they're by no means less than a DW option because both types use both your hands and only give one bonus.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

The DW variants are not (to my knowledge) getting two bonuses and still take both slots in order to use.

There is room for buffs to make them more appealing vs running double sets, but they're by no means less than a DW option because both types use both your hands and only give one bonus.

Noone use Maelstrom, Master or Asylum DW sadly.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m pretty certain that only a very small amount of people use Maelstrom 2H weapons these days. And I feeling that that percentage of people is going to decrease even further when the new chapter goes live.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bevik wrote: »

That's because of their bonus though right? The effects are not useful where's the ones from Bow & Staff are.

It's not to do with their number of slots so much as the effects given are useful.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even more reason to buff them however Magsorc is pigeonholed into master destro because we lost our frag CC. I really hope they do something with them but i highly doubt they will.
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭
    Simple. Bring back their old spell/weapon damage/crit and max resource buffs as 2nd piece bonuses and introduce 2nd piece bonuses to Asylum weapons.

Problem solved.
    PS4 EU
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vMA weapons:
    * The bow will still be mandatory for stamina DPS, it will not be replaced. And if you ask me the vMA bow is one of the most overperforming "sets" in the game with the amount of DPS boost it gives you.

* The vMA destruction staffs (lightning and inferno) will still be used, since light and heavy attacks will do more damage next patch.

* The 2handed (greatsword, maul and battleaxe) could use some tweaks I agree.

* Dualwield: Need bugfixes ASAP.

* The rest of the vMA weapons has their uses imo and are quite ok.

Master weapons:
    They´ll still have their uses in both PvP and PvE and I think they´re quite powerful to be honest.

Asylum weapons:
    These are probably the weapons that will be replaced first if you ask me now when 2handed weapons counts as 2 pieces. The asylum destroy (perfected version) is extremely powerful and does not need further buffs. The other weapons will still has their uses as well imo depending on what kind of build you´re using.

I think the "X-weapons will be dead" is excessive concern.
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple. Bring back their old spell/weapon damage/crit and max resource buffs as 2nd piece bonuses and introduce 2nd piece bonuses to Asylum weapons.

Problem solved.

Really hope they will do that.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After VMA special attribute removed and all 2H count as 2pcs .
    I think there are many better options than slot VMA weapons .

High risk , no return :)
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not. I hope crafted will finally catch up a little.

• Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or let them stay as they are and let them contribute to more diversity since the DPS Gap between 5/5/2 and a setup with vMA/vDSA weapons will not be that huge. its even better because the double Setbonus will allow people without vMA Bows and Destrostaffs to catch up.
    tbh the DW Weapons (both vMA and vDSA) could use some love, since actually they are not used, but the Bow/Destrostaves are still pretty usefull. Even the S&B weapons could both come in handy for tanks, since we can retrait Alkosh jewelry to Healthy or Triune.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

on lets quikly clear this up.

vMA DW is bugged, when Poison injection is affecting the Target the buff you get from Rapid strikes is instantly cosumed. Making them not usefull at all in PVE.

Master DW, can be OP af in Bleedbuilds, since they increase the bleed from rending slashes by 1,5k flat. Really really strong against stamina, they overpower the heal from Momentum while still doing 500dmg / tick after that :open_mouth:

AS DW...was told to be garbage alread yon PTS, nothing happend so jeah they are RIP forever probably.
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vMA costed days and days of attempts just to be completed once.

Some guys (for example, @Alcast) say he had to run vMA 300 times before he got his desired vMA weapon.

I am at my 50th run and still have not got it.

Is all this massive effort doomed to be a complete waste?

• Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard time believing the Master Resto will be replaced by a Monster Set. Though several are mighty tempting.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    vMA costed days and days of attempts just to be completed once.

Some guys (for example, @Alcast) say he had to run vMA 300 times before he got his desired vMA weapon.

I am at my 50th run and still have not got it.

Is all this massive effort doomed to be a complete waste?

Alcast, me and many many others have gotten their vMA weapons before retraiting was a thing, and while the Weapons were dropping in traits like training and prosperous, aaaaand while there was NO guaranteed drop of a vMA weapon.
    So stick to your Plan, it hase become much much easier to get the desired weapon nowadays.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we over buff these weapons though, won't they just remain BiS at which point the 2H counting as two sets is pointless any way.

I mean I know I am being stupid but it seems everyone's getting hyped for 2H being double set bonus but at the same time screaming the items which won't let them do that need to be stronger.
    They need to focus on the effects of the sets and make sure they're desirable alternatives for some builds.
  • HJSmith24
    HJSmith24
    ✭✭
    I'm probably just repeating what others have said in a different way, but the feeling I get is the variants used on the back bar will remain BiS, but versions used on the front bar will suffer, for DDs anyway.

The loss of set bonus on back bar while you're applying your DoTs would still be less than the DPS increase the VMA bow/destro, so as a DoT applier they would still be the best choice. On the front bar though, the bonus has to outperform either a 4 and 5 piece set bonus, or a monster set, so sets such as a master destro or asylum destro as a main damage-dealing weapon; I can't see them being in too many builds.

Calling for buffs for these weapons doesn't seem to be the right way to go about it though, just another shift in meta that's months away and there will be a number of other things to consider between now and then.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's because of their bonus though right? The effects are not useful where's the ones from Bow & Staff are.

It's not to do with their number of slots so much as the effects given are useful.

It's not that they are not useful. They just aren't meta enough.

For example my friend runs a bleed build with master axes. It's actually OP asf.
    Edited by Nyladreas on April 6, 2018 9:48AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

For example my friend runs a bleed build with master axes. It's actually OP asf.
    Right. I mean I can understand if these become worthless in all cases that they will need a buff, but we shouldn't be making them still the only choice for BiS now we finally will have more options due to 2H being 2pc.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

Right. I mean I can understand if these become worthless in all cases that they will need a buff, but we shouldn't be making them still the only choice for BiS now we finally will have more options due to 2H being 2pc.

I think this is true, they should be BiS. However in reality they already aren't necessarily. Only DW, Bow, Destro are. Master Resto is BiS, Asylum 2H is the better choice. And plan old drop sets S&B are better than any of "1 piece" sets.

The Bow and Destro are 5k boost, I'm not sure how much smaller that can get while still being worth it though. Time will tell.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel a little relieved that I don't have to wait for a perfected asylum staff to drop after the summerset 2h info.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that will change is they'll go from being a 1pc set to a 2pc set.

It's faulty logic to assume these are getting nerfed because other things are getting buffed.
    • The effect, function, and items slot requirements will be the same after as they are right now.
    • You will neither lose, nor gain power from using (or continuing to use) one of these sets.
    • Because of the slot requirement change a few patches back, these sets only complete themselves. Once they were turned into set pieces, you no longer had the option (on DW/S&B) to mix and match sets. You can't use them to complete another set now. You won't be able to use them to complete another set after.

Nothing changes in regard to these weapons. The only thing changing is the opening up of more build possibilities.

You'll have to make a choice. They are unique sets that offer unique build opportunities. It does not automatically guarantee them BiS status, nor should it.

If the shift in meta means the many weapons from all three places get shelved in favor of a more powerful/versatile setup, it's still a more powerful build. Aside from some crafting upgrade mat cost (which we end up eating every major patch one way or the other anyway,), nothing changes.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was asking for DW and S&B to get a 1-piece stat bonus before, to bring them on par with monster sets. So you can guess how I feel about this subject. I think most ability modifying weapons (AMW) are quite weak compared to 5-p set bonuses and 2-p monster sets.

The meta for builds in both PvP and PvE will be either:
    1) No AMWs. Or...
    2) 1 bar with AMWs and 1 bar proc set.

For example on MagDK DPS... The previous set up of 3-p Moondancer jewels with Maelstrom back bar and Moondancer front bar is out the window. You will either have 2 full sets from Julianos/BSW/Sun with 2xMonster. Or you will have BSW frontbar only and Maelstrom backbar with 5p Julianos/Sun on the body.

Like I said most 2-p Monster sets are better. Most 5-p bonus sets are better. Which means you have to have 5-5-2 on one bar. . Unless they decide to buff 3-p sets like Agility/Willpower etc. significantly. Which I doubt.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What if the Asylum staff got a max magicka bonus, do you guys think it would be worth it over a monster set?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the Asylum staff got a max magicka bonus, do you guys think it would be worth it over a monster set?

I think they would be very close to equivalent. Imperfect would be slightly weaker than a monster set, perfect would be slightly stronger.

• neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    it allows you to wear 2 X 5pc + 1 X 2pc
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭

people run 2h for rally in pvp almost exclusively. having an AS weapon is just a bonus since we are running 2h anyways if DW had a major brutality source you could activate before combat and it healed and it had a gap closer people would run that for the extra 5p bonus.

so its not that the 5p is no big deal people ran 2h anyways.. its that we HAVE to run 2H if you want a heal/brutality/gapcloser/execute.. in pvp it make up for anything the classes themselves lack, in pve you dont need these in the way 2H offers them.

EDIT: im just saying its going to be great for 2h stam users like me lol, were still stuck with a 2h in medium unless running a tankier/ specialized build or something
    Edited by magictucktuck on April 6, 2018 2:48PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    I’m pretty certain that only a very small amount of people use Maelstrom 2H weapons these days. And I feeling that that percentage of people is going to decrease even further when the new chapter goes live.

I took off my maelstrom 2-hander when they nerfed gap-closers last patch. That was a huge nerf to the maelstrom 2-hander.

On the broader subject, these weapons should be BiS. Maelstrom ones especially. The time and effort it takes to get them means they should be the best available option. Took me 58 runs just to get ONE SINGLE lightning staff that i could transmute. And now I'm probably going to be able to hit just as hard or within 1k or so without those weapons? Lame if you ask me. This will not incentivize people to run this difficult content in the slighest. Loot needs to matter. The "Challenge" of the content is not enough to get all players in there. Give them a reason to HAVE to go in there.

Master weapons could all use a tweak. I can't see any reason fro the master resto to be used at all after this change. Master- 2-hander is OK but not great, Master destro will be worthless because the current effect it has is EASILY outperformed by monster sets. Master's DW can be OP on bleed builds i guess.
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VMA 2H is already worthless. It will be even more worthless with the coming update. Not sure how much thought, if any ZOS, puts into these "updates".
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeven wrote: »

Even more reason to buff them however Magsorc is pigeonholed into master destro because we lost our frag CC. I really hope they do something with them but i highly doubt they will.

You make it sound like a must, but you don’t have to, use streak to stun. 552 is way better.