The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So if your Already and Altmer, or Dominion Race, what does it mean if Summerset opens boarders?

Casowen
Casowen
✭✭✭
I guess im confused about this part, So if your an altmer living outside summerset, you where formerly not allowed in? What about Woodelves or Khajiit?
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get first class tickets.

Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You get to be the tour guide, and show everyone else around. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casowen wrote: »
    I guess im confused about this part, So if your an altmer living outside summerset, you where formerly not allowed in? What about Woodelves or Khajiit?

These are the extreme xenophobes of Tamriel. They probably would regard other Altmer of a different mind-set as people to be kept out. There are real-life "forbidden cities" etc. from various eras where this was the case. An Island has natural barriers that make it a good candidate for that treatment.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer before DLC: Summerset is fine, let us expand our empire to the mainland and guide these lesser races through their idiocy.

Altmer post-DLC: Quick! Everyone get back to Summerset to stop the hoomans from mucking it up with their idiot selves! Ugh Nords are so gross!

Altmer go where they are needed.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

These are the extreme xenophobes of Tamriel. They probably would regard other Altmer of a different mind-set as people to be kept out. There are real-life "forbidden cities" etc. from various eras where this was the case. An Island has natural barriers that make it a good candidate for that treatment.

Except there's a redguard whose family has been living in Summerset for generations, according to the latest gameplay videos. He explicitly says outsiders are rare, but not unheard of. Turns out Altmer aren't quite as xenophobic as we thought.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 4, 2018 12:58AM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

Except there's a redguard whose family has been living in Summerset for generations, according to the latest gameplay videos. He explicitly says outsiders are rare, but not unheard of. Turns out Altmer aren't quite as xenophobic as we thought.

That’s unfortunate. Are there no homogeneous cultures in even the most elitist corners of Tamriel? These alliances have brought nothing but confusion as to what constitutes a culture. What happened to the themes of racism and ignorance so prevalent in previous TES games? Is everyone just 100% tolerant in a time period nearly a thousand years before the main games? Cultures generally progress socially throughout a given time period. This leads me to two possible conclusions:

1. Racism increases from ESO to the main games, meaning ZOS believes increased discrimination to be the natural progression of society.

2. ZOS disregards the logical progression of society in order to avoid the dark themes that define TES in the name of safety and conformity to PC culture.

What can be taken from this post? Showcasing racism and discrimination in ESO as the ‘norm’ alongside the barbarism that should be present in this ancient time would reveal the understanding that societies become less racist over time, especially over a near thousand year period.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s unfortunate. Are there no homogeneous cultures in even the most elitist corners of Tamriel? These alliances have brought nothing but confusion as to what constitutes a culture. What happened to the themes of racism and ignorance so prevalent in previous TES games? Is everyone just 100% tolerant in a time period nearly a thousand years before the main games? Cultures generally progress socially throughout a given time period. This leads me to two possible conclusions:

1. Racism increases from ESO to the main games, meaning ZOS believes increased discrimination to be the natural progression of society.

2. ZOS disregards the logical progression of society in order to avoid the dark themes that define TES in the name of safety and conformity to PC culture.

What can be taken from this post? Showcasing racism and discrimination in ESO as the ‘norm’ alongside the barbarism that should be present in this ancient time would reveal the understanding that societies become less racist over time, especially over a near thousand year period.

To be entirely fair, if a bunch of outsiders descended on my ancestral homeland and pillaged and murdered their way through my people the way you know Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild players are going to, I'd expect my people to get a lot more racist and xenophobic too.

Plot twist: all those players who are like "I'm gonna kill all the elves because of TES 5 Skyrim" actually lead to the racial hatred that eventually creates the Thalmor of Skyrim's era.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To be entirely fair, if a bunch of outsiders descended on my ancestral homeland and pillaged and murdered their way through my people the way you know Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild players are going to, I'd expect my people to get a lot more racist and xenophobic too.

Plot twist: all those players who are like "I'm gonna kill all the elves because of TES 5 Skyrim" actually lead to the racial hatred that eventually creates the Thalmor of Skyrim's era.

Players in ESO causing the Thalmor in the 4th era is Creation-Kit-is-CHIM level of crazy. I love it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Players in ESO causing the Thalmor in the 4th era is Creation-Kit-is-CHIM level of crazy. I love it.

Have you played the AD quests regarding the Thalmor? It's kinda interesting playing through them knowing the eventuality of the group.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome

It's what we call "a self-fulfilling prophecy", up to the The Elder Scrolls level

TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;