Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Summerset and Update 18 Preview"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Summerset and Update 18 Preview. Discover everything you need to know about ESO's latest Chapter as well as Update 18 in this preview article!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too long; no patch notes
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question - is the log-in reward per account or per character? And is the chapter required in order to receive it?
    Edited by Jaeysa on March 28, 2018 5:40PM
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting stuff.

I think the big talking points will be a crafting system behind an expansion and daily log in rewards.

Crafting system behind a pay wall is going to upset a lot of people. The P2W threads will be strong this expansion.

I love free stuff and won't complain at getting things for something I do any way but the whole "log in for your daily reward" feels very cheesy and F2P mobile game like to me.
    If the idea is to get players logging in and playing the game then surely these would have been better as incorporations into some kind of content.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the new trial. The article says, we will be able to optain improved 'perfected' versions. Does this refer to improved versions of the sets that drop in this trial, or does it refer to new "master" weapons ?
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting stuff, and I like the login rewards. Kind of bummed that the new trial is like Asylum Sanctorum though. vAS+2 is a messy experience that favors all ranged DPS.

I was hoping it'd be more like Maw of Lorkhaj but hopefully the mechanics are interesting enough to make up for it. Still, not a fan of the "fighting all bosses at once" thing.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking you'll still be able to jewelry craft if you have access to a house that has the jewelry station, like they did with transmutation.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff.

I think the big talking points will be a crafting system behind an expansion and daily log in rewards.

Crafting system behind a pay wall is going to upset a lot of people. The P2W threads will be strong this expansion.

I love free stuff and won't complain at getting things for something I do any way but the whole "log in for your daily reward" feels very cheesy and F2P mobile game like to me.
    If the idea is to get players logging in and playing the game then surely these would have been better as incorporations into some kind of content.

Gotta agree with all of this. Gating Jewelry Crafting behind the Chapter is going to cause a lot of hard feelings from some people. And login rewards feel gimicky and... desperate? I don't think ZOS is desperate, so why create the appearance?
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beetleklee wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff, and I like the login rewards. Kind of bummed that the new trial is like Asylum Sanctorum though. vAS+2 is a messy experience that favors all ranged DPS.

I was hoping it'd be more like Maw of Lorkhaj but hopefully the mechanics are interesting enough to make up for it. Still, not a fan of the "fighting all bosses at once" thing.

Same but as long as they dont contain one shot and high damage mechanics it may be fun, also pls someone gift me dark shaman I have lots of costumes to gift back if thats how it works (if not still) :D
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day.

Interesting.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Fallewarrior
    Fallewarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Want to buy a real trial like vMOL & vHOF please <3
    Hocus Pocus Grim Focus
    -Fallen | TICK TOCK TORMENTERR | IMMORTAL MEMERR | GRYPHON HEART
    HODOR!

Worlds First Tick Tock & Disassembly General (No death speedrun HM vHoF)
    Worlds First vAS Hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest clear, and hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest HM Nodeathspeedrun (Gryphon Heart)

PC/EU
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, so us crafters will need to research 9 more traits on Jewlery....no love for existing unlocks it seems.
    .....Each updates shows me more and more that the focus of the game is not developing more gameplay but locking progression behind long grinds that are only offset by a required purchased from the crown stores overpriced QoL items.....in this case research scroll to reduce the time.

Oddly there isn't any mention of ESO further reducing research times.

"Finally, in addition to the three Traits you're used to jewelry having (Healthy, Arcane, and Robust), we're adding six brand-new ones to the game, giving you exclusive all-new options for your character's jewelry. These new Traits include Harmony, which increases the effectiveness of any Synergies that you activate, and Bloodthirsty, which increases damage against low-health enemies. Keep an eye out on The Elder Scrolls Online official website for more information on the new Traits and prepare for the first time to be able to craft, upgrade, and customize your own rings and necklaces! "
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 28, 2018 5:57PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • King_Thelon
    King_Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there anything that would make a pvp'er want to buy this chapter? Or will it just be OP passives / skills behind a paywall?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there anything that would make a pvp'er want to buy this chapter? Or will it just be OP passives / skills behind a paywall?
    Doesn't seem so with what's been said. PvP players would only be buying it for skill line and jewellery crafting.
    Hopefully there is a Cyrodiil update just waiting to be announced.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Regarding the new trial. The article says, we will be able to optain improved 'perfected' versions. Does this refer to improved versions of the sets that drop in this trial, or does it refer to new "master" weapons ?

Maybe they decided to do same as weapons of vAS but now for armor sets :/
    Still nothing about jewelrycrafting+droppable jewelry. @ZOS_GinaBruno any clarification if droppable sets' jewelry can be improved and if it possible to retrait jewelry at all?
    Edited by Cinbri on March 28, 2018 6:28PM
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing about Artaeum? Saying you meet the Psijic order isn't the same as having Artaeum as an explorable zone ...

Apart from that, the chapter sounds great.
  • Valerien
    Valerien
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be any personal reason for the player to undertake the new story arc if they don't really care for Dominon or the high elves?

It seems that every story update no matter how well crafted has the player character as a well intentioned do gooder that appears to wander the land intent on forcing his help upon strangers for little reward. I have over a million gold and a castle, offering me 300 gold and a blue stick I have no use for isn't much of an incentive.

It seems a little strange that this is how the story still plays out, not that it isn't strange that it was well intentions and offering to help random strangers that gets you into the Thieves guild, or because someone suggests it to you that you go out and become a killer or even that it was because you wanted to help a guy bleeding out on the street in Morrowind that you started working for a good.

So it would be nice if there was something a lot (but I'll take little) more personal a reason and maybe even a choice in dialogue of why the player may be drawn to Summerset. Aside of course from that I've paid for the expansion and I'd be crazy not to do it. But for the sake of the story (which may be something of a draw if you don't need 330 gold and some champion points), even the best story can become dull if the protagonist (ie the players character) is a boring yes man who just wanders around helping people because they have a marker over their head.

You have this wonderfully beautiful land, amazing combat, crafting and lore. It would be great if the story could be crafted in such a way that it allows the player character to be part of it with choices and consequences as opposed to a nameless stranger than wanders the land forcing their help on people with no past, despite all the things they have done because they will never be referenced in any of the story.
    Edited by Valerien on March 28, 2018 6:39PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Summerset also brings a new group activity not found on the larger continent of Tamriel: Abyssal Geysers. Scattered across the island, these new group activities spawn waves of fierce monsters and must be shut down before they overrun the surface. "

Sweet. New kinds of overland challenges and events have been on the ask list for a while (yes I was one of those putting such suggestions out).
    Edited by tinythinker on March 28, 2018 6:22PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Yeah unlocking rewards for completing content, even just trivial content, would feel more rewarding.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown store gifting will add a whole other layer to the current game economy. It pretty much allows for the exchange of in game gold (or other items) for crown store items. Shouldn't take long for a stable exchange rate to pop up for items such as crown crates and mounts.

WTB crown crate, 250k, pst.

Or something like that. You get the idea.

It should also go without saying that it basically allows you to buy gold from other players with your real world cash.
    Edited by redspecter23 on March 28, 2018 6:26PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown store gifting will add a whole other layer to the current game economy. It pretty much allows for the exchange of in game gold (or other items) for crown store items. Shouldn't take long for a stable exchange rate to pop up for items such as crown crates and mounts.

It should also go without saying that it basically allows you to buy gold from other players with your real world cash.
    I completely glazed over this, getting into shady territory for me. I'm not a big fan of being able to trade in game currency for real money.

Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff. I look forward to learning more about all the new things that are coming. It does seem a little light for a chapter, but I'm trying to keep in mind I really don't know that for sure at this point. Either way, I love doing new quests once maybe twice, so that will for sure be nice. I'll obviously be working on jewelry crafting too. So I'll have two new skill lines to level on multiple characters that are basically otherwise completed. And it sounds like many hours of new content to dive into and keep me busy for a little while.

Daily rewards could be fun, depends on what that actually looks like though. I'd like to know more about it. Is it an RNG system or is it a set schedule on what you get and when?

Gifting items is another thing people have been wanting access to. I know there is real concern with that being taken advantage of. But I have a friend that isn't in a position to get crowns or new things like ever, and I would love the ability to gift her with things from time to time. So I am interested to know more about this system, how it will work, and what kind of rules will be in place in order to try and prevent it being taken advantage of as much as possible. What about things already in your collection that you do not want? If we could gift some of that, I know I would be all over that lol. Who needs Guar mounts? Not me!
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »

I completely glazed over this, getting into shady territory for me. I'm not a big fan of being able to trade in game currency for real money.

Well that is too late. Other websites have been doing this since this game has came out.
  • craigr02
    craigr02
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, will we be able to transmute jewelery too? Im personally looking forward to summerset, i bought the physical ce!
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daily log in rewards (per account not character) have been a thing in GW2 for a long time. They got past the "cheese" factor in two ways:

One, if you skip a day's log in, that day's reward is still there the next day. They don't accumulate, but they progress in a 28 day cycle so every 28 log ins you will have gotten each thing once. So you never miss out, you just only get them at the pace you bother to log in.

Two, there already -were- such rewards, they were just incorporated into actively doing the dailies and players felt pressured to do make-work tasks. The conversion swapped it around so the log in got you the tiny reward and doing a set of any three dailies off a random list got you the achievement points (which cap at 15K gained).

It remains to be seen how ZoS will implement the system. But the no-accumulation-get-at-your-pace is already there in the crafting supplier mails.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    I'm thinking you'll still be able to jewelry craft if you have access to a house that has the jewelry station, like they did with transmutation.

Unfortunately, while the jewelrycrafting stations will be throughout Tamriel, you will need Summerset chapter in order to use them and do writs.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Still nothing about jewelrycrafting+droppable jewelry. @ZOS_GinaBruno any clarification if droppable sets' jewelry can be improved and if it possible to retrait jewelry at all?

Probably :smile:

And yes, you can upgrade dropped yewelry. You must research yewelry traits first and then you can transmute them as usual.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Summerset also brings a new group activity not found on the larger continent of Tamriel: Abyssal Geysers. Scattered across the island, these new group activities spawn waves of fierce monsters and must be shut down before they overrun the surface. "

Sweet. New kinds of overland challenges and events have been on the ask list for a while (yes I was one of those putting such suggestions out).

The Geysers sound a lot like the rifts in Craglorn. Which sounds fun.
  • sozo108
    sozo108
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Probably :smile:

And yes, you can upgrade dropped yewelry. You must research yewelry traits first and then you can transmute them as usual.

Where was this confirmed?
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day.
    Depends how much especialy for currencies or other thing that may affect the economy.
    This update also brings a brand new Crown Store feature: gifting. With gifting, you can purchase and send Crown Store items to your friends and allies, and you'll be able to easily track your sent and received gifts. Almost every item in the Crown Store can be gifted, but there are some conditions.
    Nice
    Summerset also brings a new group activity not found on the larger continent of Tamriel: Abyssal Geysers. Scattered across the island, these new group activities spawn waves of fierce monsters and must be shut down before they overrun the surface.
    Waiting for PTS
    The Psijic Order not only provides you with a unique quest line and story–it also grants you the famed abilities of the ancient organization. The Psijic Order Skill Line features a full set of Active and Passive abilities in addition to a unique Ultimate.
    :D
    Throughout Tamriel, you can find new Jewelry Crafting Stations (including set stations) that allow you to create custom jewelry for the current crafted item sets, and you will be able to complete Writs and Master Writs like any other crafting Skill Line. Note that the Summerset Chapter is required to use the new Crafting Stations.
    Um... i have no issue with that for some reason.
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the addition of additional rewards for the first daily Battleground. BGs have been struggling for population and thats a solid way to encourage variety in the BG queues without totally giving away AP by increasing all the rewards again.

I'm not sure about the daily log in awards which are probably 97% junk I'll destroy, vendor, or just take up inventory space.