The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Summerset DLC Hopes and Speculation Thread!

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That the food on snooty elf island is better than that on grumpy elf island.

That's a very low bar Santie. We'll be wandering in the tropics, surrounded by a source of fresh seafood. Of course the food will be better. I must remember to requisition a lot of coconut for the Embassy while I'm there...
    like the Falmer, the Left-Handed Elves, the Nedes, the Kothringis, the Ilyadis, or the Lilmothiits.

We've already seen the Keptu's descendants in HotR; it might be a little early to see them again.

The Illyadi were giants, so if we see those I'd be expecting them as mobs more than friendly NPCs. Maybe we'll see more Welwa?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Loremaster’s Archive open for questions!
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That the food on snooty elf island is better than that on grumpy elf island.

That's a very low bar Santie. We'll be wandering in the tropics, surrounded by a source of fresh seafood. Of course the food will be better. I must remember to requisition a lot of coconut for the Embassy while I'm there...

And fresh fruits! Please let there be guava ( :heart: ), papaya and mango in TES! :smiley:
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galerion and Ayrenn are nice Altmer, as well Ocato and (TESIV) and other characters. Skyrim show us an extreme wrong perspective of this race, time to reedeem altmer from a bad lore decision.
    Edited by gepe87 on March 21, 2018 3:45PM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Galerion and Ayrenn are nice Altmer, as well Ocato and (TESIV) and other characters. Skyrim show us a extreme wrong perspective of this race, time to reedeem altmer from a bad lore decision.

Even in Skyrim, we see that not all Altmer support the Thalmor. Have a look at Lathenil's story, which also describes the traumatic context that allowed the Thalmor to rise to power in the aftermath of Oblivion Crisis. Also, don't forget Quaranir, who is also really nice in my opinion. :smile: Racism is obviously a big problem in 4th Era Altmeri culture, but there are definitely Altmer individuals fighting against it. I wouldn't say it's a bad lore decision to feature a Dominion in which a fascist ideology has gained hegemony. I am curious to discover how widespread of a problem racism will be in 2nd Era Altmeri society. Also, it is something I like in TES lore, that cultures, even those as conservatives as Altmers', evolve with Tamriellic History, and aren't fixed forever.
    My characters:
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP here:

I’m loving this discussion! If anyone is interested, I actually made a video on this topic a while back where I go into more detail on the altmer and their lore. Feel free to take a look!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXhIZa27_W4
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we finally get trial group finder.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    OP here:

I’m loving this discussion! If anyone is interested, I actually made a video on this topic a while back where I go into more detail on the altmer and their lore. Feel free to take a look!

Very nice video! :smile:

Also, I wonder how Altmer's obsession with mathematics will translate into their buildings. I hope we'll get golden ratios and hyperbolic paraboloids and fractal structures and non-euclidean tesselations in their buildings and adornments. :smiley:
    My characters:
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP here:

Very nice video! :smile:

Also, I wonder how Altmer's obsession with mathematics will translate into their buildings. I hope we'll get golden ratios and hyperbolic paraboloids and fractal structures and non-euclidean tesselations in their buildings and adornments. :smiley:

Thanks! I'll be writing an article tomorrow on Zenimax's announcement stream, so stay tuned!

I completely agree about the altmer's obsession with math. This all depends on how committed Zenimax is to doing this right. I really hope we're not getting our hopes up.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This all depends on how committed Zenimax is to doing this right. I really hope we're not getting our hopes up.

Agreed, the expectations are really high. I have a thought for the people involved who are probably having a very stressful day. Courage and cheers to them! <3
    Edited by VerboseQuips on March 21, 2018 11:01AM
    My characters:
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This all depends on how committed Zenimax is to doing this right. I really hope we're not getting our hopes up.

Agreed, the expectations are really high. I have a thought for the people involved who are probably having a very stressful day. Courage and cheers to them! <3

Well, if this datamine is anything to go by, then it looks like we may have gotten our hopes up:

https://elderscrolls.net/2018/03/21/22467-eso-summerset-novye-podrobnosti-izobrazheniya-i-data-vykhoda/

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I know how Star Wars fans felt when The Phantom Menace released.
    summerset2520isles.png

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw it in the garbage with the rest of the transcription errors. I tried, folks.

• Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    It seems they got the outline of Alinor right, but the aesthetic wrong. Impossibly high towers, check. Hell, even the docks make an appearance, where the humans and beast races live, forbidden from entering the upper city. But the upper city is the problem. Wheres the glass architecture said to be reminiscent of insect wings? Why do we have boring stone buildings? Do the Altmer architects find it impossible to build buildings out of poetry? Do they need to go to Vvardenfell to find out that wizards live in mushroom towers?
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    It seems they got the outline of Alinor right, but the aesthetic wrong. Impossibly high towers, check. Hell, even the docks make an appearance, where the humans and beast races live, forbidden from entering the upper city. But the upper city is the problem. Wheres the glass architecture said to be reminiscent of insect wings? Why do we have boring stone buildings? Do the Altmer architects find it impossible to build buildings out of poetry? Do they need to go to Vvardenfell to find out that wizards live in mushroom towers?

Because this entire series is creatively bankrupt and ran out of ideas after Morrowind. This was their chance to show us what they could do without riding on the coat-tails of past games. This is what we got.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 21, 2018 9:42PM

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because this entire series is morally bankrupt and ran out of ideas after Morrowind. This was their chance to show us what they could do without riding on the coat-tails of past games. This is what we got.

I thought they did a pretty good job with Orsinium.
    Turns out that was just because all they can design is stone buildings.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Because this entire series is creatively bankrupt and ran out of ideas after Morrowind. This was their chance to show us what they could do without riding on the coat-tails of past games. This is what we got.

It's honestly weird how determined they are to drain all the weirdness from the Altmer, or to just make them look incompetent.

Remember the giant, ugly stitches on all their clothing?

Or how dark, grey, and plain their homes seem to be in Auridon?

How about the fact that Dunmer get to have at least 3 different architectural styles for their expansion, but altmer are stuck with one, leaving all their cities looking the same.

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 24, 2018 4:27AM

• Casowen
    Casowen
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

It's honestly weird how determined they are to drain all the weirdness from the Altmer, or to just make them look incompetent.

Remember the giant, ugly stitches on all their clothing?

Or how dark, grey, and plain their homes seem to be in Auridon?

How about the fact that Dunmer get to have at least 3 different architectural styles for their expansion, but altmer are stuck with one, leaving all their cities looking the same.

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why.

I have been going through the datamine you linked me in the architecture thread and Oh wow! that is definitively amazing. It appears more the architecture went to the wood elves with the organic styling that I keep referring to, which the Dunmer also kept as well. I especially like this piece of clothing
    http://68.media.tumblr.com/43b149bd671ebde7cfa2f9132798eb7d/tumblr_nkch3kOIGm1tyntzzo1_500.png

I could be wrong, but just this also has that wuxia twist I was talking about, you can at least enjoy it in the show "Ice Fantasy". story is OK.. but its a visual spectical. You see more in something like vulcans,

For what its worth, alot of the elven-esque characteristics are kept from what it seems, though I do see what you are saying. I however do like alot of what I am seeing. The Psijic order looks amazing!

I just wish the Romanesque/Gothic look wasnt so heavy in some of the armor and architecture mainly. Good Grief I do like the look of the architecture as seen in the mines however.

I could be wrong, but I want to say a few things in regards to what might be going on in the minds of the dev's. There is something symmetrophobia, and Toxic Masculinity. In short, I think they are trying to hard to appeal to the symmetrophobia, and Toxic Masculinity that skyrim players are more likely to have, by utilizing already familiar symmetry, as not to question it. If an unfamiliar symmetry is used, such as the more organic architecture and clothing, then it initiates a series of though processes that typically go back to either some form of symmetrophobia, or Toxic Masculinity. Toxic Masculinity tends to be more prevalent in say grand theft auto players, halo, and Call of duty games given the general audience, at least in my experience. It often is mixed with symmetrophobia with males especially, and obvious symptoms aversion to anything that can be scene as "unmasculine", usually pink colors, long flowing symetrically angular gowns, symmetrical jewelry, even arms and armor, which is usually what shuts it up, as my stupid male cousins are annoying AF with it.

In short, I think ESO need to stop trying to appeal to GTA and COD style players, simply because they both are what they are, and try to even compromise a little wont get anywhere. I could be very wrong in this statement, as I am only really basing it off of some perceived events in the history of the MMO :star wars the old republic, but I felt it needed to be pointed out, though I did it abit bluntly as I needed to edit this to show why I wrote what I wrote.

I kept seeing posts and comments here how the high elves are snotty and arrogant, the sheer irony of that is that they are probably the least snotty and arrogant compared to every other race, and I say that because there is this stain elves that keeps saying that.
    Edited by Casowen on March 25, 2018 6:55AM