Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[VID / Guide] Animation Cancelling (Finger Filming) / Keyboard Layout

Thogard
Thogard
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone!

Animation cancelling is one of those things that is hard to show how to do with just in-game footage, so I put together a video that shows my keyboard and mouse layout. I overlayed the footage of my actual keyboard on top of my in-game recording. I also showed my different keyboard bindings and what I find to be the optimal layout for PvP and PvE.

enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB08rpRaNl0

Note: in the video I am using an MMO mouse for my skill bar. You do NOT need an MMO mouse in order to animation cancel.. but it helps a TON with mobility while animation cancelling. I strongly recommend it, but if you prefer to have your ability keys on your keyboard, just imagine yourself pressing that button instead of the mouse ability button.
Edited by Thogard on March 20, 2018 11:45PM
PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh nice. This will help a lot of people I think.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Oh nice. This will help a lot of people I think.

Thanks!
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You definitely don't need an MMO mouse to effectively animation cancel.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do in PvP, for the reasons I mention in the video.

• IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Animation cancelling is one of those things that is hard to show how to do with just in-game footage, so I put together a video that shows my keyboard and mouse layout. I overlayed the footage of my actual keyboard on top of my in-game recording. I also showed my different keyboard bindings and what I find to be the optimal layout for PvP and PvE.

enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB08rpRaNl0

oooh now the same for a xbox controller setup please ^^
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool man. I think this right here is why a lot of people think macros are being used. Should definitely get my skills off the 1-5 keys, that’s something I haven’t thought about doing. Need a new mouse for that.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Cool man. I think this right here is why a lot of people think macros are being used. Should definitely get my skills off the 1-5 keys, that’s something I haven’t thought about doing. Need a new mouse for that.

Just use more ergonomic keyboard mappings. I use Q, E, Z, X, C, R for skills (plus tab for potions and alt for synergy) so that you never have to let go of WASD to cast. Dodge roll and bar swap are bound to back/forward keys on mouse.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 20, 2018 9:20AM
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part of it is personal preference I think. I couldn't get the hang of skills on my mouse (I use 1-4 and R, with '5' for ult), but I did put ult, barswap, sprint, mount, autorun, and push-to-talk all on additional buttons on my mouse, plus bash/break and synergy being scroll-wheel up and down. I will admit that I can't strafe during some skill-presses though.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

Making the switch definitely boosted my level of play by a pretty big amount. There are just too many quick roly polies or circle strafers and if you take your fingers off of WASD for even a second you'll miss. Furthermore, it really is easier to ani cancel correctly if you do everything with just one hand and use the same finger for all the skills.

• Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I was thinking about buying an MMO mouse anyway but this adds 1 more reason. Any suggestions for an MMO mouse?
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bevik wrote: »
    Thanks. I was thinking about buying an MMO mouse anyway but this adds 1 more reason. Any suggestions for an MMO mouse?

Almost everyone I know uses the Razer Naga Hex V2.

Just be sure you get the 7 button version, not the 20 button version.

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hex V2 is the 7 button version. The 20 button one is just called Razer Naga.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not required, no. One can cancel with the default ability bindings and still remain highly mobile.

MMO mice aren't viable for a finger grip style and maybe some claw grips. I have a hybrid claw/finger grip that I won't change for ESO.

Edited by zyk on March 20, 2018 9:52AM
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't fully perfected the animation cancelling thing, but I use my old faithful Logitech G600 mouse and couldn't imagine trying it any other way.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

Hex V2 is the 7 button version. The 20 button one is just called Razer Naga.

Ah, good to know, thank you.

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

It's not required, no. One can cancel with the default ability bindings and still remain highly mobile.

MMO mice aren't viable for a finger grip style and maybe some claw grips. I have a hybrid claw/finger grip that I won't change for ESO.

I spent a long time using the default ability bindings. I'm 31... ESO was definitely not my first MMO, so it was harder for me than most to make the switch.

I fought it for as long as I could, but eventually i came to the realization that i was just getting out maneuvered too often.

For mag / range, it might not be as big of a deal. But if you're a stam / melee character, it truly is a requirement at the highest levels of PvP. I dont know of any top-level stam PvPers that don't use an MMO mouse. Please don't put me in an awkward situation by naming people and me having to say that they aren't top level :(

• zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For mag / range, it might not be as big of a deal. But if you're a stam / melee character, it truly is a requirement at the highest levels of PvP. I dont know of any top-level stam PvPers that don't use an MMO mouse. Please don't put me in an awkward situation by naming people and me having to say that they aren't top level :(

That's kind of irrelevant as 99%+ of players aren't top level. Regardless of where you rank anyone in ESO, it's definitely possible to cancel and maneuver without an MMO mouse. It may be an advantage, but it's *far* from required as I am sure many will attest to.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's kind of irrelevant as 99%+ of players aren't top level. Regardless of where you rank anyone in ESO, it's definitely possible to cancel and maneuver without an MMO mouse. It may be an advantage, but it's *far* from required as I am sure many will attest to.

That's a good way to look at it. Not a requirement, but definitely an advantage. Cheers.

• fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting watch, thanks
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was actually thinking of a Logitech, Razer or Corsair. But 17 buttons on a Corsair might be a bit too much.

I don't do top tier PvP nor PvE but a good mouse always an advantage.
    Edited by Bevik on March 20, 2018 10:25AM
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I could recommend Logitech G502 with 5 mapable buttons that aren't a circle on the side. I find their placing more natural. Bought it especially for ESO and my level of game play has definitely improved!
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »

I could recommend Logitech G502 with 5 mapable buttons that aren't a circle on the side. I find their placing more natural. Bought it especially for ESO and my level of game play has definitely improved!

That looks like a great mouse, and it costs the same as the one I use. If my razer ever breaks down I'll have to try that one out. Thank you for the add.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was actually thinking of a Logitech, Razer or Corsair. But 17 buttons on a Corsair might be a bit too much.

One thing to keep in mind is that MMO mice aren't ideal for shooters, if you play those as well. They usually use mediocre sensors and typically aren't conducive to more "FPS grips" like claw/fingertip.

As I do a lot of FPS gaming, I always get a top notch FPS mouse and just map MMO skills to my keyboard. I used a Corsair MMO mouse briefly with GW2 but returned it as I found it useless (it didn't give me a noticeable edge over using keyboard mappings).
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oooh now the same for a xbox controller setup please ^^
    I can help with this.

Step 1: Get an Elite controller
    Playing this game on a standard controller is brutal. I can't do it. The Elite allows for customized setup, including trigger response, button mapping*, and joystick response time. The buttons and joystick hardware is built better and latency of wirelesss is reduce (this is an extreme factor!).

Step 2: Set the paddles
    Place no more than 2 paddles underneath the controller (it can hold 4, but the other two make holding the controller uncomfortable for many, including myself). Where you put those two should be comfortable to you. I highly recommend using the forward slots because your middle finger can easily touch them without much thought.

Step 3: Map your paddles*
    While ESO doesn't give us full button mapping, the Elite does via its paddles. You can assign any option of the controller to a paddle (sadly, no macros). This action does not replace/swap the original buttons!

For example, I have LT on the right paddle and D-pad Left on the left paddle. Swapping weapons is as easy as bumping the paddle. I'm sure you can see where this is going. ;)

Step 4: Customize the settings
    You'll need the Accessories app for this, but once downloaded, it'll "connect" with the Elite controller.
    There, you can modify trigger reaction (I recommend moving the sweet spot 1/8th from the start, and narrowing the field for faster response) and the joystick response (I use delay as I found instant too responsive).

Of course, you'll want to set it up as you desire.

Step 5: AC like a boss!
    If you play a sorc, you'll notice AC almost instantly either by weapon swapping or dodge rolling. NBs may not notice it as easily, but in time, they will (usually with dodge rolling).

Trying to take a video like the above would actually be harder to do because the paddles make it difficult to overlay. But AC is so, so much easier on the Elite to perform.

I can't recommend this controller enough for this game, despite its hefty price tag.

• Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭

One thing to keep in mind is that MMO mice aren't ideal for shooters, if you play those as well. They usually use mediocre sensors and typically aren't conducive to more "FPS grips" like claw/fingertip.

As I do a lot of FPS gaming, I always get a top notch FPS mouse and just map MMO skills to my keyboard. I used a Corsair MMO mouse briefly with GW2 but returned it as I found it useless (it didn't give me a noticeable edge over using keyboard mappings).

I have a Corsair FPS mouse with a Sniper button so I have 8 maappable buttons. But it's not an MMO mouse so the buttons are far. Never used an MMO mouse before so it's hard to choose.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the articulating mount you have on the left for emergency snacks is the best part of your setup. ;)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good video hopefully people learn some of the concepts described there. It's not too often someone takes it upon themselves to make tutorials on these things.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good way to look at it. Not a requirement, but definitely an advantage. Cheers.

I just don't want players to think the lack of an MMO mouse is a reason not to cancel. Everyone can benefit simply by light attacking immediately before using abilities the same way they currently do and by swapping bars, when appropriate, immediately after the an ability is used --two things that are very easy to do with a little practice.

There are other cancels of course, but mastering those two is a good place to start. I find the main mistake most make when learning to cancel is trying to do too much at once by emulating a an experienced canceller.

Personally, I utilize cancels of all types in AvA without an MMO mouse and my play styles are usually very mobile. I can move freely and cancel at the same time np. I actually find melee to be easier to cancel with, especially DW and 1HS, as staff attacks are a bit clunky.

I have tried the G600 and was annoyed by the mild input lag and squishy side buttons. I'd like to try the Naga Hex at some point.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the articulating mount you have on the left for emergency snacks is the best part of your setup. ;)

Ha thanks! It’s actually an articulating arm rest though. I separated my left shoulder a while back and even after it had healed most of the way I was just in too much pain letting it hang free for long periods of time. I couldn’t find a chair that brought the arm rests high enough so I got that set the arm rest at whichever level was most convenient.
    Edited by Thogard on March 20, 2018 2:45PM

• Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So these are the kind of people I'm fighting against in Cyrodiil

I feel so much better about myself now, thank you!